Hermes Member
  • Male
  • from Europe
  • Member since Jun 23rd 2016
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Hermes

If we get confirmation of the latest leaked isotope shift data, then it won't matter whether I.H. thinks there was heat or not.

The very fact that the information was leaked and no official comment has been made rather suggests that confirmation will not be forthcoming. It was my understanding that system was locked up so how did anyone take samples? This looks like deliberate misinformation.

And of course it matters whether or not there was heat. That is what IH paid for.

Why would Jed's friends fed FUD to Jed. Simple, to protect their research money. If Rossi got the 89 million, Jed's friends would get nothing. That is strong motivation and how much is friendship worth anyway?

2 major problems with this wild speculation. Firstly, there is no evidence that IH recently raised any money to finance research and secondly there is no evidence that either Jed or his friends received any research funds (from older sources).

Then we have a logical fallacy that if Rossi had been paid $89M Jed's "friends" get nothing! But IH would only pay $89M if Rossi's technology worked in which case the whole field would now be awash with research funds.

If serious researchers are "pissed" it is because Rossi failed to disclose the know-how for which IH contracted and paid. Rossi made allegations of fraud. This damages the entire field. Whatever the result of the Court case, lawyers are likely to pocket the cash which could otherwise have been invested in development.

How can he justify this without telling some technical detail, some technical reason?

How many times do you need to be told Peter that Jed has promised not to reveal unauthorized details? The technical detail you ask about, as Dewey Weaver reported, is that Rossi was discovered substituting a fake flow meter which exagerated the flow rate by a factor of 10 or so. What more do you want? This is so similar to previous manipulations by Rossi and by Defkalion of flow calorimetry that I am amazed that any rational person would question its veracity.
    http://newenergytimes.com/v2/n…1/37/3727appendixd5.shtml

Despite overwhelming documented evidence you still cannot bring yourself to accept that your heroes are in fact criminals out to make a quick buck.

No recent replication experiments using pure nickel have been shown unequivocally to produce excess heat,

I presume you mean that no recent peer reviewed paper has been published showing excess heat.... May be we should persuade get rich quick engineers that they need to unequivocally demonstrate their claims. But in any case the consolidated results of previous studies are not overturned. My feeling is that f------sters will do all they can to avoid unequivocal demonstrations.

Or momentary transients of considerable electron screening by, e.g., a rush of electric current passing through the nuclear volume for a brief moment. It seems not only plausible that this kind of thing happens, but likely.

Can you quote a reference for this? Have you done any calculations? How much screening is required in your opinion? What evidence is there that electric currents can alter decay rates? You'll get a Nobel prize if this is true.

Ditto for palladium fission. Evidence? Calculation? Wishful thinking has its limits. As does patience.

although the alpha decay rates of medium and heavy isotopes for which alpha decay is exothermic are low to negligible, this might be the variable that changes in LENR.

This supposition is not entirely unreasonable. After all if theoreticians can invoke mechanisms to reduce the Coulomb barrier for fusion, why not for fission (alpha emission) too? But I am pessimistic. To facilitate fusion only 1 keV or so might be required. (e.g. muon catalysed fusion). But to accellerate alpha decay to timescales comparable with CMNS experiments (weeks), many MeV would be required. Furthermore nickel and palladium cannot emit alphas exothermically. So whilst I like your original thinking, I am rather doubtful if it is correct. Keep up the good work! :)

You found pretty much what is reported in that quote. So how is that inconclusive? Focardi et al say it is 'hard to justify'- but that is not quite the same thing.

"Inconclusive" means you cannot draw conclusions. What scientific information on do these gammas tell us? What did you conclude? I suppose we could say that something nuclear is going on but that is so vague as to be useless. Now if they had measured a million counts per second .....

in the energy range 660.0 - 663.0 keV in order to find a possible nucleus responsible for the emission.

Well I repeated this analysis using PCNUDAT software. In the gamma energy range 660-663 keV I find 6 isotopes, 50Mn, 66Ge, 67Ge, ... In any case the measured gammas are close to background levels and consequently must represent some secondary or tertiary reaction. It's all a bit inconclusive.

I've seen LENR studies reporting alpha particles with greater than 2 MeV energy.

Assume for the moment, though, that there are generally alphas with an upper bound of 2 MeV in LENR experiments in which energetic alphas are seen. There are plenty of isotopes for which the decay of an alpha would be exothermic but less than 2 MeV. The decay rate is proportional to the energy of the decay, and these isotopes are usually observationally stable

Of course LENR is complicated and the reactions which take place depend on the fuels available. I think most of the fast alpha studies have been in deuterated systems, but Piantelli works with natural hydrogen.

The only fast low energy alpha decay is that of Be8 at 92 keV. Much heavier than this and alpha decay becomes endothermic. The lightest natural isotope which in theory could alpha decay is 142Ce at 1.3 MeV. But the decay is so slow it will never be observed. The reason is the Gamow factor (Coulomb barrier). There are a few alpha radio-active isotopes decaying in the 2-3 MeV range but we can exclude them because the have very long half lives. For example unnatural 146Sm decays with 2.5 MeV. So I think that we must look elsewhere than conventional decay to explain 2 MeV alphas.

Piantelli had to disassemble his reactor to extract the nickel bar that he then inserted into the cloud chamber.

Correct. But Piantelli also monitors his heat producing cells for gammas. He has sodium iodide and germanium gamma ray spectrometers. If there were any muons you'd detect some radiation don't you think?

Only some residual activation of the nickel would have been seen.

This is unlikely to be the case because there are no known alpha decays with half lives of days and energies around 2 MeV.

I have been begging MFMP to setup a cloud chamber to check for muons in their experiments

Given than Piantelli's Cloud Chamber results are incompatible with muon fusion, why would you encourage MFMP to contradict this? Where do these muons come from? Why don't they kill the lab tecnicians with lethal radiation???