Ken Member
  • Male
  • from Ontario, Canada
  • Member since Mar 8th 2022
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Ken

In this case the cell was dismantled, the working electrode was heated and the cell reassembled.

ETA- with regard to the sulphate/citrate electrolyte, I found that it needs to be freshly made, for some reason I don't understand it still works as a plating system, but very soon becomes less effective as LEC making system.

Thanks Allan, I noticed some papers use much smaller concentrations of sulphate/citrate electrolyte in the solution than I used.

Today I made another cell with increased diameter to decrease the air gap from about 2.3 mm to 1 mm - Still no voltage measured at all.

Ken

Welcome to LENR Forum. I agree with Stevenson 's theory (above) that this is a battery with a gaseous electrolyte.

I share your concerns about electrolytes under the plating, but if there is no contact between electrodes other than gas this is not really a major issue- also Frank Gordon and Harper Whitehouse have recently done an experiment where they heated an old 'dead' working electrode up to 300C and it started working again. I also ensure everything is dry - a vacuum generally takes care of that

Ken

Welcome to LENR Forum. I agree with Stevenson 's theory (above) that this is a battery with a gaseous electrolyte.

I share your concerns about electrolytes under the plating, but if there is no contact between electrodes other than gas this is not really a major issue- also Frank Gordon and Harper Whitehouse have recently done an experiment where they heated an old 'dead' working electrode up to 300C and it started working again. I also ensure everything is dry - a vacuum generally takes care of that

Is the Gordon\Harper cell not sealed though?. If so this would retain the solution.

Hi All,

My first post - I assembled a LEC to try to replicate a version of the Frank Gordon, Harper Whitehouse

experiment.

- WE 22.2 mm OD, 140mm long copper pipe, roughed up to a shine with medium steel wool

- plated in Ferrous Sulphate 125 gr, Sodium Citrate 125 gr, household ammonia cleaner 350 gr, 1.5 litre of tap water, heavy steel plate Anode with mill scale ground off

- ~200 mA for 6 hours formed a well adhered grey coat, a magnet is attracted to the iron coating

- Outer electrode was a black iron pipe nipple 27mm ID, mill scale on ID removed with brake cylinder hone to a shine

- WE insulated with o rings at each end to prevent shorting and thoroughly dried

- cell capacitance measured at 55.5 pf, cell resistance > 100 Megohm

- Voltage measured with Fluke model 83 multi meter 10 Megohm input resistance. Meter on mV range, .1 mV resolution

- 1 Megohm resistor across cell as a load

Observations: no voltage reading within +- .1 mV was observed during a 6 hour run

At this point on a hunch I placed one small drop of the electrolytic solution on the top o ring so that it bridged the WE and the outer electrode and immediately saw ~200 mV on the meter which was still present after one hour. In a later test, a droplet placed on the bottom of the cell showed a voltage (~25mV) and over 2 minutes the voltage swung slowly from positive to negative, perhaps as the droplet was moving from iron to copper scratches on the WE?

I wonder if some of the electrolyte solution could become entrapped in a heavy iron coating and be released later causing false positives in some experiments? I noticed some of the coatings from other attempts are heavy and flaky and show odd reddish craters.