Slad Member
  • Member since Jul 3rd 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Slad

Oystla... regarding estimates of heat loss:

For a 20ft shipping container (2.4x2.4x6m), internal temperature 40C, sat in a large room of air temp 25C (a nice Florida afternoon), with the container door closed, you could expect to radiate and convect 1120W through the walls, 410W through the ceiling, and 195W through the floor (which is lifted up 0.3m)

This gives a steady state (i.e. the internal temperature peaks at 40C) total heat loss of 1780W.

You would need to completely cover each 250kW module (3.5x1.4x0.5m) in 50mm of standard house insulation (polyisocyanurate, k=0.023) to limit the heat loss to this level.

But... Rossi says he left the door open (invalidating my convection calcs), and also that the ecat modules actually leaked a total of 10,000W. The depth of PIR insulation required to limit the heat loss to this level would be 10mm

Rossi is correct to say that this would not require any special heat removal strategy, industrial buildings (especially in Florida) are not well insulated, and to loose this amount of heat through the walls/ceiling of the building would be trivial.

Rossi's goldfish would be fine any way you look at it.

The production side of the 'factory' would be a different story though. The waste heat has to go somewhere, likely up a flue stack on top of the 'secret machine'... Assuming a typical 12m/s mechanical draught, and a flue temp of 125C, the chimney would have to have a diameter of 500mm, to adequately exhaust 1MW of heat. This 'chimney' could be any height necessary, without causing an issue.

@ShaneD. The reason Rossi/the ERV don't care about water return temperature, is that it takes a relatively small amount of energy to heat water to 100C, but a lot of energy to turn it into steam.

If the returned water was at 4C, the ERV would be underestimating the COP by 17%.

If the returned water was at 60C, the ERV would be underestimating the COP by 7%.

If the returned water was at 80C, the ERV would be underestimating the COP by 3.5%.

...This assumes 100% dry steam, which in a system like this requires a steam temperature of approximately 120C.

I reckon he's read it. This is a quote from February:

"We LENR-ists are much more interested in the EXECUTIVE SUMMARY that is already circulating 1 front page plus appendices but the essential is shown in less than 20 sentences."

Which is quite a specific statement.

Get the blighter leaked Peter! We promise we'll keep it quiet...

(vote) None of the above!

MFMP have been experimenting with passing musical frequencies through the coil for the first time.

I think the 'Cookbook' is Norman Cook's 'Extended Mossbauer Theory'

Why does he posit this theory? What observations does it help explain?

What other signals could MFMP have seen?...

Congratulations frankwtu!! You have now been mildly insulted by Mary 'notgeorgehody' Yugo. Think of it like a baptism, of sorts. Maybe you will find this post of his more persuasive:

Shane, you will go down in history as an early member of the Rossi-Ass-Licking-Organization (RALO). The list of members is long and can be derived from an examination of Rossi’s idiotic and misnamed blog, “jonp”. But you are pretty far from the top of the list. For RALO number 1, the contest is between the likes of Sterling Alan and Frank Acland originally. Now, Darden and Vaughn have joined this group, along with Lewan, Essen, Levi (unless he is conspiring with Rossi) and anyone who has written a moronic book about why Rossi’s claims are real, the “New Fire” and other similar stupidity. And not to forget, Tom Whipple and the other interviewers, article writers, and silly acolytes who occasionally appear in some obscure internet location. And of course, there are the Swedish Blind Mice.

Finally, there are unfortunately dozens of people who ask completely content-less questions on Rossi’s blogs in the hope of a completely content-less answer from Rossi. Some of those have been hanging in there more than four years now. So no, Shane, your spot in the history of those duped and flummoxed by Rossi will be a tiny one.

I’ve thought about making a list 8| with the vague intention of holding people accountable for their stupidity with Rossi and their unpleasantness with his critics 8| 8| but so far, I can’t justify the time to even collate much less document such a list. Rossi will either end up in jail again, be run out of the country, or if he’s lucky, will fade into oblivion like Defkalion. In that case, the difference is that Rossi will get to keep some of the money.

Can I be on your "enemies list" please?

Looks good.

As you are controlling temperature, I would have suggested starting with a higher Ki of between 0.01 and 5: The author of that document is being conservative in order to cover a wide range of different systems.

But it doesn't really make much difference, as you will iterate to good values eventually... just trying to save you some time!

Also, the value of 'MaxIntegral' is important, it's there to prevent "windup". If it's value is too high, it can cause instability if you apply large changes to the temperature setpoint, and could/should be tuned in the same manner as P and I (but using larger temperature steps, to simulate possible inputs that you might wish to apply during experimental runs).

(T+dT)^4 - T^4 ~ 4dT*T^3 + 6dT^2*T^2 + 4dT^3*T + dT^4

Ha, indeed. I should have thought about that one a little bit harder.

Re convection, it can be linear if you are lazy! If you look at this experiment, the external temperature differences will be small enough that convection can thought of as linear...

and I think you would have to have much higher dT than 50 degrees to experience variations in the h constant...

I had assumed convection would be free rather than forced, but either way even a small change in dT will raise the Rayleigh and Nusselt numbers, and hence h, just not by very much.