anonymous Member
  • Member since Jan 24th 2016
  • Last Activity:

Posts by anonymous

Jed,

Can you point us to a schematic of the vacuum/deuterium supply plus exhaust to the RGA/mass spec. From the photo, it appears that there is only a single gas/vacuum outlet on the conflat cylinder.

I assume the unit gets pumped down before bakeout from the single line. It is then baked out under vacuum several times until there is no water in the RGA/mass spec (which is output from the turbopump).

The question I am having is how does Mizuno keep the unit in a D2 atmosphere at relatively stable partial vacuums, i.e. 2 Pa, or 300 Pa or whatever. I have natural concern about air being drawn into the conflat under vacuum and then catalytically supporting combustion of the D2 on the hot metal surfaces. It is my hope that the schematic can rule that out, or instead monitoring output from the RGA/mass spec showing only very small amounts of H2O or D2O in the output.

If the D2 and the turbo pump are controlled by valves, how are they regulated, i.e. automatically or by hand? Alternatively, is the unit pumped down, then loaded with D2 for the time necessary to achieve optimal D2 loading in the mesh, and then the valve sealed off while the pressure gauge monitors the slow yet steady rise as there is microleakage through the seals or outgassing.

Note: a relatively simple way to measure the amount of microleakage is to pump the unit down to highest vacuum under operating temperature, close off all valves, and then measure the rate of rise of the vacuum over the fixed volume in the conflat cylinder. It can then be readily established that the quantity of O2/air and the D2O that could have possibly entered the conflat is limited to that which would cause the pressure to rise. Once the leakage rate is established, one can put an upper bound on the maximum heat from chemical reaction between O2 and D2 in the unit, thereby ruling that out in the results.

It would also be helpful if the unit is under continuous D2 supply if a rate of D2 added per unit time (i.e. mol/s) can be computed from the instrumentation so again to rule out chemical heat from the supply.

Thank you (and thank you for translating Mizuno's work to us over the years). Good work Jed -- you are a benefit to the LENR scientific community.

This press release suggests that Industrial Heat did an equity raise (to unknown third parties not Woodford) at a per share valuation around 3.57x higher than the original investment. The equity raise is equivalent to a stock transacting on a stock exchange, between an unrelated third party buyer and Industrial Heat -- the price per share being what the third party actually paid. It is not clear what other ownership Woodford had in Industrial Heat (i.e. warrants, convertible bonds, options, etc...) so it is not clear how much higher the valuation of Industrial Heat is from this transaction beyond the fact that someone paid _more_ for the shares than where Woodford originally invested. It is also not clear how many dollars were invested, i.e. a third party investing $2 mm is a lot different than a third party investing $200 mm. This is all the data that they (Woodford and Industrial Heat) have given us so far.

Maybe I agree somewhat on a small scale, but...

Lithium won't matter if it is used utility scale: it will be processed with weapon's proliferation guards, and as is, it is not as dangerous as U-235.

We already use plenty of utility scale proliferative U-235 that after use can be purexed into Pu-239.

That fact remains: current nuclear explosives need 90%+ enriched U-235 or Pu-239 as a trigger. The Lithium is an enhancement.

@Shane D -- ? Isn't there anything about Rossi that [you don't like] ?

Shane,

I think Rossi was simply self-deluded and then so trapped in his own statements that he can't admit to himself he was wrong.

Suing IH was just part of the delusion.

His behavior on JONP, calling people who disagree with him "clowns", "snakes", and "puppets" is just more delusional paranoia. It's irrational for an inventor who needs to do business with other companies and investors to speak in this way. I think he cannot help it.

So in short, I think Mr. Rossi, probably believes in his own case.

I don't dislike him (although I do dislike his holding back information so we can validate). I feel sorry for him as he is only hurting himself. Note that I think it is improbable that he has a working device. He is in trouble because of his inflexibility and steadfast insistence on going down the road "his way", and most likely because he can't look at his own data as a detached scientist. A successful outcome is too much part of his self-identity. He can't let go of his self-image as a successful inventor. When the history gets written we will find out the truth.

"The twin moons of Planet Rossi - fabulous Renzz! I'm thinking that we'll be able to cook the s'mores from our camp seats. To continue the vision if I may..... as we gaze into the lovely blue glow of the carbonless fire. Suddenly the R'ster warns us to standback, the QX bundle has somehow morphed into a QX+ and a wormhole to the 5th Dimension (no relation) has started to open. Having heard this before, Renzz and Weaver take this warning seriously and head straight for a QX Rossimobile, strap in and hit F7. Wouldn't you know it, after the war, they haven't modified all the topsy-turvy control systems yet and in about 3 seconds we land on the North (South) moon. It gets better. There is atmosphere there so we venture out to see what has happened and there, at the outpost bar, sits the Siffer with a blue umbrella drink in hand. He apparently jumped in the other QX-R and hit F6 - that machine had been reprogrammed following the war. We begin a conversation.........."

Good science fantasy Dewey! Can you turn it into a short story. I like it. I guess there is more to you than an investor. The QX machine with the function keys -- excellent. :) :) :)

"Estoppel means IH's motion to dismiss will be thrown out"

No. It may mean that a few of IH's motions to dismiss certain Leonardo/Rossi claims will be thrown out, but some will survive. The judge who will likely get throw out some, but not all of Rossi's claims, all based on matters of law that do not need a trial.

This is the usual tactic of this phase of a lawsuit -- each party tries to get as many of the other party's claims thrown out to make the case easier to win.

Eventually some of Rossi's claims survive, and then IH will file an answer with counterclaims (i.e. countersuit against plaintiff). Rossi then tries to throw out as many of IH's counterclaims as he can.

In the end there will be several claims that need to be adjudicated by trial and we go to the next phase.

All along the lawyers and two parties will consider settling. More likely than not, the Court will force both parties with their attorneys to sit in a mediation meeting in room to settle the case before it goes to trial.

And we wait...

I saw the headline "Have IH's lawyers admitted they intended to defraud both investors and Rossi all along?" and took a wild guess on who posted it -- Walker.

I guessed right.

I mean really Walker, do you really think that a $900/hour lawyer like Jones Day is going to "admit[ted] they intended to defraud"? Really?

I know you support Rossi, but this is just pure sensationalism, like Hearst and the Yellow Journalism. Why post this here? Really?

Abd and Dewey,

"thread shut down due to flame war"

Start a new thread if they terminate the old thread. The discussion goes on.

I don't like the flaming, but at least the forum is open for commentary.

If you must flame Sifferkoll, Walker, MY and Dewey, please use "the playground" as a courtesy to us browsers.

Other than that, I appreciate having all points of view espoused here, and prefer that we treat each other with politeness. Please.

Whether the exothermic oxidation is "self limiting" or not, it has to be one of the null hypotheses to be ruled out. I saw that originally back when Rossi had his first Hot Cats -- the chamber has a lot of metal and what is to say it is not oxidizing.

Same with Parkhomov -- slow oxidation or other similar exothermic chemical reactions must be ruled out. Good luck to him.

With regard to the photoshop artifact, I am willing to give Parkhomov one more chance that he reasonably "fixed" his work to make it fit presentation format, i.e. no intention to deceive, just trying to cram the paper onto a slide deck or pdf presentation.

MY -- in my opinion, you are a great skeptic but way way to fast to jump to conclusions based on a single hypothesis. I appreciate your different viewpoint however, unlike some other readers of this forum. We need someone to state clearly the null hypotheses to eliminate "group think". You're drafted.

"Why can xyz use the F word and I can't?"

Come on guys, let's have some decorum and civility. It is not fun reading expletive this and that. It creates noise. I prefer signal.

We can be on opposite sides without being boorish.

Moderators: my suggestion is that if xyz uses the F word and you see it, edit it out and replace with [expletive deleted]. It gets rid of the use of the expletive as an adjective.

With regard to the "secret sauce" not being revealed in the patent or to IH:

Question? Is it possible for an inventor to file a patent at such time BEFORE they have established their own secret sauce, and later amend the patent to include the secret. This would seem to buy the inventor (Rossi in this case) time to develop the invention (i.e. to make it work).

Everything I read says that Rossi actually believes himself, that he can make an Ecat work. But he may have discovered over the ensuing 3 years that the older experimental measurements that he made were not reliable and thus that he did not "have the proof" that he would need to include (as the formula for making it work) in the patent. He may have taken the money from IH to buy himself time and a stronger team on development, i.e. that he believed in it. When time ran out after the 1 year 1 MW test, he may be buying more time. This fits my model of Rossi -- the man thinks he has it, but cannot yet deliver the goods to the public via patent, or to IH via trade secret formula. He may be self-deluded.

This hypothesis makes Rossi himself a true believer who cannot give up on his invention even if he can't get it to work for himself. For Rossi, this would be agonizing, unless he simply denies the possibility of failure. In this scenario, Rossi is stuck and by buying time, or perhaps more investment, he thinks he can invent himself out of the tough spot he finds himself in.

I say this as we the public have not yet seen any hard evidence that any Ecat has COP significantly greater than 1. We only have the inventor's (Rossi's) statements on his blog and the old public "reports" which were in my opinion inconclusive.

And so we wait and see what new evidence comes out in the coming months and years.

@JedRothwell wrote: "I have no clue about such legal issues, so I do not think I should bother I.H. with my concerns."

Sorry Jed, but you are a leader of LENR whether you like it or not as the ex-officio "Librarian". You've been at this a long time -- a lot longer than most of us. The whole LENR ecosystem (including the people who support and criticize your postings here and even on ECW) do rely on your vote, and that undoubtedly includes Industrial Heat's decision makers.

Industrial Heat is going to do what is economically responsible for their company -- that's a given. But if without harming themselves they can help advance the discussion beyond this focus on the "Trial of the Century" and the 1 MW test, they can move the whole of LENR forward. That actually helps them. We as a LENR community need to stop worrying about this ERV Report of success or failure, and if possible get even a Sifferkol's motivations back aligned to trying to make progress. Too much time is being spent non-productively. We are literally creating entropy (merde) with this in-fighting discussion. It's wrong. We can end it by exposing the way the machine works with hard data and move on. Not every test works. That's science, trial and error.

@JedRothwell wrote: [The ERV Test Rig might have a] "fluid (probably hot water, not steam) is cooled by some secret machine in the pretend customer site next door, which he will not allow people to see."

Exactly the problem. The "secret machine" (black box) might even be a water heater that sends high temperature or high pressure water back to the ECAT "heater" side. We have NO idea how the entire system works. No published schematic. No measurements on both input and output sides of the heater of temperatures, pressures, flow rates. Just a lot of second hand "he said". And then Rossi blocked IH from seeing inside the secret room. Why?

The whole "secret customer" black box is right up there with the need to test a 1 MW plant privately without being able to test one (50 to 250 kW) reactor independently, and with taking a whole year to do it. Excessive delay, obfuscation, mystery, snakes, clowns, puppets, hand waiving, smoke, mirrors and magic. It's like the Wizard of Oz -- do not look at the man behind the curtain. There is always another one year delay and some plausible "business" excuse why no one owes the public any hard information. We are wasting time reading this comedic noise because there is a hard news vacuum on how the Rossi LENR machine actually performs. And to add icing on this mud-cake, now IH says that it chooses not to release the report until it suits them. There are of course the usual plausible excuses, but no real information on why it doesn't suit IH. The judge and jury will see it anyway. Rossi already has it.

(The secret customer's heat load should have been replaced with a conventional fully instrumented heat exchanger of known performance to corroborate whatever was measured at the input and output. I think this customer black-box was either intentional to throw us off, or something along the lines of Rossi's In Mercato Veritas excuse for not releasing information. I personally find it inexcusable to delay the release of performance information this way, but we will have the usual excuses that Rossi and IH owe us "nothing". That certainly harms our civilization's progress in replacing fossil fuels with this new technology.)

I (the interested public) ask that IH please disclose the report in a way that doesn't harm its case against Rossi. IH has a leadership position in LENR and with it the responsibility of stewardship. Help LENR out so we can understand how or why Rossi failed to deliver. Then we can move on beyond Rossi. There is too much collective thought being spent on this conflict that could be applied towards LENR. Even Jed is involved. Lomax is clearly brilliant. Dewey is a great writer. What a waste.

Frankwtu said

"Play along with Rossi' with whose money? For what reason? Was this 'due process'?"

Frank, IH is an early stage VC fund in a risky field. They make their investments as best as they can. Looks like they lost one (Rossi). Early stage VCs expect to lose everything on 7 out of 10 investments, and to take 5 to 7 years to realize the gain or loss. Without this, there would be no Facebook, Apple, or Google. They are the long term successes. The failures outnumber them at least 5 to 1 even at the best VCs.

There is no due process of VC investment. It is not a court of law. They are playing with the unknown trying to balance risk vs. potential return. They use their judgement. Any investor in a VC knows this. It's VC-101.

@Dewey,

I'm going to guess that the 12 inch wafers are fuel sandwiches like figure 3 of Rossi's patent US 9115913 B1: "Fig. 3 is a cross section of the wafer for use in the heat source of Fig 2". His patent has a detailed description of the wafer and you can read about it on the USPTO website. No idea if Axil knows anything more about it other than what he has read. He's creative with a lot of ideas (you can see his original ideas and hypotheses once every few weeks on ECW). I would suggest pursuing a less ad hominem discourse.