snotty Member
  • Member since Apr 18th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by snotty

Hi guys,

I read yesterday that Boronizing of Steel is a common way to harden steel and protect it from wear. Is it possible to make something like this with kitchen appliances so that they can perform their services longer?

Thank you for answers

Best Regards

Hi everyone,

as a side project, I've been studying metallurgy and I've taken special interest in coatings and surface hardening and how they work on a structural level. I've stumbled across a special boronizing technique and was really intrigued by it and decided to recreate that coating.

Now, I'm pretty sure that I've got the right mixture, temperature and so on to achieve similar results as the ones with Borinox (the boronizing tech I was recreating). I would like to monetize my findings but I'm not sure if I should.

Now, let me say that it's unlikely that it's the same exact process since I have no way of knowing how they really do it. If all our steps would be the same, I'd be surprised. Anyway, since it's technically a different product that achieves the same results, it's not the same thing, right? Is it okay if i try to monetize my technique? Is it ethically acceptable?

It's an interesting philosophical question for sure. Yes, anything can be turned into a weapon, recent technology even more so because it can be spread much quicker and farther. There's no way of knowing if youe discovery will do good or bad but here's my take on it: Yes, everything can be weaponized. Technology isn't good or evil by default, we as humans make it so. And it is our resposibility as scientists to find more good ways to use something than evil ways.