GRMattson Verified User
  • Member since Jan 24th 2022
  • Last Activity:

Posts by GRMattson

Cydonia

Any ensemble of charges will tend to go to its lowest energy level. In the case of He 4, emitting a photon seems to be prohibited. Is that a universal or local property? It obviously merits study and there's always a new crop of PhD candidates. There are also other possible reactions. Li 7 to Li 6, for example, with an energy yield of 7.4 Mev. Also, there is the issue of natural radioactive decay. It's my understanding efforts are being made to speed up such decay. Well, we humans are real good at bending natural processes to our liking. It looks like there is a field of study here which would shed light on the nature of the Strong Force as well as the Weak Force🤔.

Binding energy is the energy (work) one must provide to put a nucleus together. The strong force then holds it together. If you plot the binding energies of the elements (usually per nucleon) you will note that the two stable isotopes of helium (He 4 and He 3) are separated by a large amount of energy. The total difference in binding energies of the two nuclei is calculated as 20.6 Mev. Could that be your new energy? While the reaction is believed to occur on the sun, driving it may be easier than supposed and could account for the operation of Joseph Papp's engine. We know little about the strong force and what its weaknesses might be. In any case that's a lot of potentially useful energy per atom.

@Omavan

The term LENR can also be applied to the forcing of fission reactions that do not normally occur at low energies. Around 1968 two significant explosions were associated with Joseph Papp's so called Noble Gas Engine. You can say what you want about the engine, but explosions are hard data points. I became a member of this forum in trying to explain how they worked, as I thought fusion would be involved. However, I was led to a reaction that occurs on the sun where two deuterium atoms fuse. This reaction should go to Helium 4, but ends up at Helium 3 or tritium. It seems that the Helium 4 is an intermediate sate but can not get rid of excess energy by emitting a photon. If the reaction of Helium 4 to Helium 3 can be forced interesting things will happen.

Around here heat pumps use ground loops or well water, which comes out of the ground at 48 degrees F. I installed a water based one in my first house. That required testing the water supply by running it at full force for 14 hours. The flow rate remained at 11 gallons per minute, an excellent rate. The unit was new, but the compressor failed shortly. Fortunately, the unit was still under warranty. After the house was sold the compressor failed again, so the technology was not yet mature, as the compressor can easily be protected against refrigerant contamination of the oil.

MIT Technology Review is written for the lay person. It has very little to say about real technical matters. Also it doesn't have a letters from readers department, so one can't comment on the deficiencies of the articles.

I used to like the short stories at the end of the magazine, but they stopped.

I get more technical information from News Letters from University of Michigan. The latest thing to catch my attention was the use of focused ultrasound to destroy cancer tumors. The magic bullet to cure cancer is a tiny bubble that destroys the cell wall of each cancer cell, with no damage to surrounding tissue. The process was 95% effective in destroying liver cancer in a preliminary test.

axil

You forget the possibility of producing He3. This exists because of the inability of He4 when excited to get rid of the energy by emitting a photon. It must either kick out a neutron (become He3) or a proton (become tritium).

Since the reaction in Papp's engine requires energy, the question then becomes, " Where does the energy to sustain a 100 horsepower output come from?"

Sneaky Mr. Papp put a small amount of thorium in each cylinder. The fission of that produces energy, but not enough unless that reaction is sped up.

You might want to read my one and only thread on this site for more details.

There is no requirement that all the forces of nature were once one. That's just an idea. My theory for the stretching of the primal gamma rays to produce dark matter starts at the Big Bang and is independent of other factors. You're restricting the operation of the universe unnecessarily.

Looks like this thread will slip into oblivion. Probably just as well. But before it goes I would like to say that it will likely work to some degree. I call this the fire hose method and it has issues with ramming all that air into the air flowing around the wind mill. Since these people are not likely to pay me a consulting fee for suggesting a better approach, I'll let it go. I will suggest, if they are determined to do this, they use smoke to see what the air is doing. It works. Cheers!😎

This looks like a variation on an idea of channeling faster moving air from up above down to ground level to grab the extra power available up there. It won't work, because static pressure decreases with elevation, and Bernoulli's Equation, which governs the whole business, involves static pressure. You would lose some or all of that precious power difference to overcome the increase in static pressure. Wind mills operate on very small pressure differencials.

Oops! I was looking at this backwards. Sorry.

When you take energy from the air stream you slow it down. This scheme adds air to the airstream above which would slow it down, but with no direct energy production. The energy production comes from the difference in pressures between ground and above and the supposed centrifugal effect.

Having air spewing out from the blade tips will act to slow the wind turbine. Why? Because as I mentioned before a windmill is driven by the pressure difference between the front and back of the turbine. This arises because anything you put into the air stream retards the flow whether it's your body, an open umbrella, or a windmill. A force develops to drive the offender back, which means a pressure dome forms in front of the object as only the air is acting. Well, the pressure dome acts to slow and deflect the air flow. Some of the air flows around the object and speeds up. Faster moving air has lower pressure. As the sped up air flows past the back of the object a region of lower pressure forms. The addition of the air flow from the blade tips will upset this balance.

Ultimately, it seems to me this ends up being due to the pressure difference between ground and above. You would get as good or better results by replacing the turbine by an umbrella shape or a tear drop shape with strategic placement of air introduction to the flow. Ultimately, conservation of energy applies. The energy you get out reduces the energy in the air stream by the same amount.

For those of you interested in windmills I suggest you take a look at Betz's derivation of his limit. What was his mistake?

This looks like a variation on an idea of channeling faster moving air from up above down to ground level to grab the extra power available up there. It won't work, because static pressure decreases with elevation, and Bernoulli's Equation, which governs the whole business, involves static pressure. You would lose some or all of that precious power difference to overcome the increase in static pressure. Wind mills operate on very small pressure differencials.

But doesn't the Big Bang Theory require the universe to be a closed system? If it were not it would not have evolved to what we observe currently. Also, gravity has nothing to do with the stretching. You're not paying attention.

Currently, the makeup of the universe is given as 4.9% normal matter, 26.8% dark matter, and 68.3% dark energy. The universe came into existence with a universe of energy carried by gamma rays, high energy photons, which can be puled up without limit. For anything to happen the universe would have to cool (lose energy). Simple expansion wouldn't do it as the photons could rattle around forever without losing energy. Having the photons be stretched by the expansion does. Having the lost energy becomes dark matter is a bonus and puts things into an interesting perspective, as there is currently 5.47 times as much dark matter as normal matter. This means most of that initial photonic energy never became normal matter. Some was converted before baryonic matter was created, a little during that creation, and most of the rest after.

PhysicsForDummies

You say that you don't understand the math yet you feel empowered to waste our time investigating something that doesn't interest us individually. I have no interest in Minkowski Spaces, period. You should at least explain why you think we should waste effort on it.

That said, I am interested in the possibility of eliminating the dark energy, but it may be a lot simpler than that. The standard narrative for the Big Bang states that the Cosmic Background Microwave Radiation has been stretched by at least 1000 times. That is, the radiation (light) left over after baryonic matter was created has lost most of its energy. This radiation had a very narrow energy range and after billions of years of stretching the result also has a narrow range of energies. The stretching should still be going on. Let's assume that the rate of expansion of the universe has always been constant. Consider two galaxies one twice as far away as the other. The light from the farther one would be twice as stretched into the red as the light for the closer one giving the illusion of the expansion speeding up. This should affect the amount of dark energy.

Note that I did not invoke my theory for dark matter in the previous paragraph. All I did for my theory was invoke the principle of the Conservation of Energy. Where did all that energy go? The answer was that it went into the dark matter. I also had the stretching start at the moment of the Big Bang. Why?

You might be better off if you would study and

comment on the ideas presented on this forum.

You never answered my question. Instead of sending us on wild goose chases how about providing the information here. This is, after all, a forum.

Everywhere you look people say the expansion of the universe stretches the light causing a red shift and ultimately the "Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation". Even Neil Tyson says that. What is interesting about that radiation is that there is no point source for it and only one example. One is not to ignore what the universe tells us. That leads to defective science.

Might be?

So, how does he explain the stretching of the so called "Cosmic Background Radiation"? The theory I proposed for dark matter requires the expansion, but might get rid of the dark energy by making the universe smaller. In other words some of the expansion would be an illusion.