Longview Verified User
  • Male
  • from Earth
  • Member since Nov 17th 2014

Posts by Longview

OK, That is all quite interesting, almost like good fiction. But, I still need simple testable hypotheses to move forward. Grand visions surely will recur in the eventual revolution to come. As a retrospective example: even Einstein's visions (Special and General Relativity) have been repeatedly tested in various ways.

The correct path is in there somewhere. Physics has been plagued by dogmas many times before. Critical tests can sort out the underlying reality [reveal ever bigger slices of the actual "iceberg"} to synthesize the ever-expanding data our advancing instruments now give us. The somewhat painful part of testing is that one may have to abandon a favored idea or two.

Anyway, thanks Axil for your patient discourse.

Longview

The key to successful LENR engineering is the ability for the system to produce alkali element based nanoparticles (Rydberg matter including hydrogen) continually to replace the particles that are destroyed by transmutation.

Quote from Longview

I suppose by this you are suggesting that is the limiting step in the process?

It does not seem very compelling at this stage. That is to say, how rare are such nanoparticles?

Now if you make a compelling case that they (alkali metal nanoparticles) are the essential ingredient, then I would suggest to make that the subject of research focus (and I suppose some already have....?). Alkali metal nanoparticles themselves do not sound too difficult, since vapors of K, Na etc. are easily made. Positioning them in /on a transition metal catalyst might be an issue.

Quote from axil

: Holmlid is the authority on Rydberg matter production. But his technology is not compatible with infrared stimulation. I has given replicators the mechanism on how to produce rydberg matter here on this site but no one has taken it seriously.

Thanks for bringing up the acetylide points again, I remember it, mainly because my recollection was that it was calcium carbide that generates acetylene in the presence of water, calcium being an alkaline earth. I recommend highly the Britannica article as a delight to read compared to the usual untrusted online encyclopedia:

http://www.britannica.com/science/carbide

Quote from axil

: Deflation [sic] took my advice back in 2011 when I recommended the use of potassium carbide as the catalyst that would generate hydrogen based rydberg matter compatible with infrared photons. Defkalion was successful.

The problem there may well be the stoichiometry of carbon and alkali metals. Of course they can react, but the product is not an acetylide, but a methanide. The general formula in the case of alkali metals is M2C2. With the alkaline earths you see the MC2 general formula.

Quote from axil

I have since recommended the addition of hydrogen to potassium carbide as an alternative to LAH. I will repeat that post for your convinence as follows:

Thanks for that repost, Axil. So by adding hydrogen, you at least theoretically regain the acetylide structure. But, are these compounds stable? Are they an article of trade, that is are they available form some specialty suppliers? They are surely very moisture sensitive, more so than Li Al H4 (by the way, I recommend avoiding the nomenclature you use above, since "aluminate" implies oxidation of the aluminum.

==========

Quote from axil

Reference:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.390.4631&rep=rep1&type=pdf

A novel model for the interpretation of the unidentified infrared (UIR)
    bands from interstellar space: deexcitation of Rydberg Matter

This reminds me of the most serious critique of many CF / LENR proposed mechanisms. That is, if the mechanisms and/or the reactants are expected to be widely found in the Universe, then one would also expect the signatures of the reaction products widely dispersed as well. If Rydberg matter is important, and if it is found widely in interstellar space, then the argument says it should have caused signatures of the specific expected fusion reactions to be evident everywhere. I think that is how the argument goes, but in any case the actual version is fairly impressive. The warning here is, don't seek mechanisms that are too cosmopolitan, that is too universal... lest you undermine your own case.

The key to successful LENR engineering is the ability for the system to produce alkali element based nanoparticles (Rydberg matter including hydrogen) continually to replace the particles that are destroyed by transmutation.

I suppose by this you are suggesting that is the limiting step in the process?

It does not seem very compelling at this stage. That is to say, how rare are such nanoparticles?

Now if you make a compelling case that they (alkali metal nanoparticles) are the essential ingredient, then I would suggest to make that the subject of research focus (and I suppose some already have....?). Alkali metal nanoparticles themselves do not sound too difficult, since vapors of K, Na etc. are easily made. Positioning them in /on a transition metal catalyst might be an issue.

Thanks for the reference. That piece above looks well written.

My remaining concern with incoherent Surface Plasmon effects or surface plasmonics, is now not so much whether or not they are the answer to some or even all the LENR effects [I imagine they could well be involved], but whether this incoherent form indicates a much stronger coherent effect may occur if the plasmons / polaritons were themselves coherent. Most familiar with lasers know that a 5 watt laser can nearly instantly blind, maim and kill. A 5 watt incoherent source such as a Christmas tree bulb can do no such thing with any speed. It is the same with many photochemical reactions. Coherence can count exceedingly strongly in terms of resonant energy delivery.... it is even fairly simple physics as well as chemistry or biology.

So in my last post I was seriously suggesting that we all need to identify what, if any IR photons are involved in the manner you suggest or claim. If you are right, then the path of development should be clear.....

The above diagram figures as a prominent sidebar in the "Evanescent Wave" Wikipedia article, however the caption is apparently the only place in the article where the underlined phrase occurs, specifically the word polariton is only found there. But I already indicated I am not disputing your theories, Axil. However, I am certain that both SPR and SPP can be best induced by lasers. To do that the usual plane polarization must surely be taken into consideration. Since lasers are typically coherent and often plane polarized, the requirement is simply that the laser beam polarization must parallel to the incidence plane (s-polarized light does not induce SPR). The coherence and hence collective action of the laser photons makes the resulting resonance much stronger and more predictable in behavior that is induced by arbitrarily phased and artbitrarily polarized photons from an incoherent source. At best the incoherent source will produce a much weaker resonance field for a given number of watts per unit area.

Switching over from surface plasmon resonance where I have some experience to surface plasmon polaritons where I have none: I suspect the lifetime of any polariton will likely be much shorter with an incoherent light source (if only from self interference effects). For reactions, such as LENR, the lifetime of any participating reactive intermediates such as polaritons, should be an issue. I will concede this: that if more than one energy of polariton is required in a multi-step process, then an incoherent source is the only easy way to provide such a plurality of energies. But, if that is the case, then careful selection and or tuning of two or more distinct energy level laser sources may make for much higher LENR yield (perhaps dangerously so). Of course IR lasers of great power exist and some are tunable-- if IR is the requisite level of photon energy required--- as you suggest... then experiments should be undertaken as soon as some theoretical framework can make the results meaningful (as I suggested earlier).

I'm not interested in disputing your ideas as expressed above. But the term "Surface Plasmon Resonance" has a very specific meaning and underlying mechanism. SPR, as I have studied it, cannot be usefully produced by incoherent photons. I would suggest not including that particular terminology in your theories. There are underlying physical limitations that apply to SPR. A hot wire coil and accompanying infra-red in an E-Cat are surely not inducing any kind of SPR or Evanescent Wave.

"Surface Plasmon Polaritons" SPPs, are distinct from the phenomenon of SPR, SPP involvement in LENR is another issue which will likely eventually be decided by actual experiments. That best be soon, before further speculation makes everyone suspicious. WLS (Widom Larson Srivastava) and others, such as yourself, can speculate on these without pause. Perhaps that is because it is difficult to observe or isolate those entities. The best path forward is to understand the hypothetical mechanism(s) well enough to make some predictions as to outcomes in experiments. That is, with regards to SPP, that is polaritons, it is time to get down to actual observations. I once suggested a way to test [lexicon]WLS theory[/lexicon] at a very fundamental level. The response here was nil.

But, of further distinct interest, as I suggested earlier, there are good reasons to pursue actual SPR in the context of LENR. Look it up and see why that might be the case.

Regarding:

"Incoherent light photons (non-laser) are unlikely to ever drive a surface plasmon resonance (SPR), but low powered lasers would be hard pressed to reach the photon flux density necessary to set up a substantial evanescent wave (EW)."

This statement flies in the face of Rossi's E-Cat process which is driven by the incoherent infrared power produced by a wire coil electric heater. In fact, lasers are not even ideal for supporting the antenna mechanism that captures EMF from the ambient and converts that power to dipole motion.

What are you talking about? Have you or anyone else suggested SPR [Surface Plasmon Resonance] is operative in Rossi's E-Cat? If so, let's get the facts out so that it can be clearly seen. Your comment suggests you have not read my statement at all carefully.

The Holmlid reaction is a muon driven LENR reaction and not a laser driven hot nuclear fusion reaction.

Holmlid has seen muons produced inside his reactor when light from fluorescent bulbs in his lab lit the iridium metal that had iron oxide doped with potassium spread on its surface. This type of light has green, blue, and UV wave length components. Fluorescent lights are only 86% efficient in converting UV into visible light(1). Therefore, this type of light source produces UV. UV is reflected to a maximum extent by iridium. This refection efficiency is the key to plasmonic power generation. In this Holmlid LENR process, The nanoplasmonic reaction is therefore maximized in the UV wave lengths when iridium is used as the substrate metal. A key LENR design consideration is matching the substrate metal and its associated reflective light characteristics with the type of light used as a stimulator.

With these facts in mind, Holmlid does not need a laser to stimulate his reaction, he could just as well use a more cost effective high intensity UV LEDs to produce the UV light that can stimulate the generation of muons. His laser produces green light (532 nm). Otherwise, Holmlid could apply more photon power as input into his reaction by using a UV laser.

While fluorescent lights depend on the UV from the mercury (some argon as well) arc within, little to none of the UV makes its way outside the glass envelope, unless it happens to be a germicidal lamp with a quartz envelope. Some low energy X-rays have been reported emanating from the tungsten filament surface at the ends of fluorescent tubes. The UV within is very strong at 254 nm, and of course very mutagenic. The longer wave UV from tanning lamps is not from the arc, but is itself produced by another flourescent phosphor emitting so called UV-A, which is far less mutagenic, but increasingly under criticism.

LEDs are now available down to around 240 nm, although their life spans are fairly short. The main advantage of laser emission is its coherence and linear directionality. It can make a very significant difference in photonically driven chemistry.... so it seems probable that these features may help with LENR as well. Incoherent light photons (non-laser) are unlikely to ever drive a surface plasmon resonance (SPR), but even low powered lasers would be hard pressed to reach the photon flux density necessary to set up a substantial evanescent wave (EW). Nevertheless, SPR or EW are worthy of the attention of those interested in LENR since they are very strongly a surface and/or refractive or reflective interfacial phenomena and present immense field strengths under the right circumstances.

TL;DR

Can you summarize, maybe.

Give me some time. I recommend all here interested in even the possibility of LENR read French, he is an accomplished Canadian and US patent attorney (retired?). He is also apparently familiar with engineering and physics, although I don't know his training in those disciplines. He is quite good at comparative patent laws in WIPO, Canadian, US and EU contexts. Really a "go to" guy in this field. He received some flack from Mitchell Swartz a year or so back for maintaining that one can now get through the "ban" on LENR / CF patents at the USPTO. It appears that French was talking the "status quo" and perhaps Dr. Swartz was talking the status quo ante. Anyway, it is now clear that one can get some examiners to consider CF / LENR, and that some have been granted. The key in my mind is to still avoid using the terms (CF snd / or LENR) that can still trigger the summary rejection argument that CF is "perpetual motion" [ which of course it is not at all, regardless of whether or not it works]. This was the path taken by Lipinski UGC, who claim that their process is neither CF or LENR. Technically they are right, the process is not "cold" and it certainly is not "low energy" or even "lattice enabled".

Majorana, why don't you review my many posts on this forum? I had a hydrogen fusion reactor in operation and posted a protocol. I think Barty and Longview are aware of my contributions. What positive contribution to LENR have you ever made?

Ogfusionist. It looks like your critical of Majorana here. Majorana is critical of Tyy / Pathosceptic here. Majorana is one of the good guys, interested in practical outcomes as far as I've seen. Thanks, Longview.

Have said this before, the recipe is (somewhat modified):

1. Take an obsolete idea used by someone famous a long time ago, say, P.A.M. Dirac would be perfect
    2. Misunderstand everything you read
    3. Add simplistic and/or fantastic ideas of reality
    4. Use the Grind’O’Crackpot at full speed

There you go. Now you can use it to explain LENR, for example.

Well, if that is what you're doing, it explains a lot.

Maybe, but at least they show a lot of ignorance in physical theories, missing both relevant content and also understanding of historical context.

Quite the contrary. Do you want people to avoid learning of this? What is your motive there? "They" [Hotson} bring many otherwise unexplainable phenomena under the Standard Model into understandable view. And "their" approach is as rich in historical context as any I have read.

Read both articles all the way through, please.

Thanks to Terry Blanton posting at Vortex, here is a link to two Infinite Energy articles by D. L. Hotson showing clearly when and where the physics we know [and may love] began to fail. It relates to the then "new" paradigm removing the concept of Lorentz' "aether" and the development of the "Standard Model" or "Standard Theory" which is very much still in force. So in Hotson's clearly expressed view, the problem begins in the 1930s and persists to this day. He argues there was a somewhat later adopted "blindspot" superimposed on what was Dirac's original relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation. That blindspot essentially ignoring half of what is reality in order to save the Standard Model. This is a compelling re-examination by Hotson which details numerous incongruities and inconsistencies and other deficiencies in the Standard Model. The clarity which is brought back by Dirac's full and original relativistic wave equation is clearly described in two successive Infinite Energy articles, both included in the link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/…Eg4T25LS0FQM3c/view?pli=1

Bringing this to the top again, since the Hotson articles do show much of possible interest for LENR.

Thanks to Terry Blanton posting at Vortex, here is a link to two Infinite Energy articles by D. L. Hotson showing clearly when and where the physics we know [and may love] began to fail. It relates to the then "new" paradigm removing the concept of Lorentz' "aether" and the development of the "Standard Model" or "Standard Theory" which is very much still in force. So in Hotson's clearly expressed view, the problem begins in the 1930s and persists to this day. He argues there was a somewhat later adopted "blindspot" superimposed on what was Dirac's original relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation. That blindspot essentially ignoring half of what is reality in order to save the Standard Model. This is a compelling re-examination by Hotson which details numerous incongruities and inconsistencies and other deficiencies in the Standard Model. The clarity which is brought back by Dirac's full and original relativistic wave equation is clearly described in two successive Infinite Energy articles, both included in the link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/…Eg4T25LS0FQM3c/view?pli=1

I would recommend considering square wave pulses as well. The sharp rise times can have unique effects in other applications, so why not here. I believe chopping dimmers have been commented on. The main advantage of sharp rise times is that they can work against inertia, whereas a sinusoid will more closely conform to inertial oscillations. Of course sinusoids should not be neglected either, since the ability to counter accelerate opposing charges may well depend on smooth application of fields. If one can identify the reacting entities (protons, hydroxyl ions, negative hydrogen atoms etc, as well as electrons) one could at least imagine driving one inertial load with one oscillator and drive the other quite distinct mass (and charge) with another oscillator.

What is being described in the IE article is simple gas loading of Ti. The temperature spike is caused by the heat of formation of titanium hydride being released as the hydrogen is absorbed. This is standard, everyday hydride chemistry. For ex., see J. E. Klein, Fusion Sci. & Tech. 41 (2002) 764, where a Ti-containing vessel is loaded and unloaded multiple times. In that series of experiments a temperature rise of 600+ degrees was observed in one part of the vessel, while lesser rises were noted elsewhere. The temperature you measure depends on where you place your thermocouple, and 600+ degree changes are typical for the most active spots. No excess energy needed.

Tcvetkov wrote

"
    Right now with my protocol I can give you exact figures. Here are the
    results of my measurements. This protocol reflects the latest
    experimental results. The figures reflected are the most recent. The
    excess heat, the calculated excess heat, is deuterated titanium at 573
    degrees, the sum of COP is 1.789 Joules, or 1 degree per gram…131 Kj…For
    the time of 190 seconds this amounts to 695 Watts. The extended power
    for the heating of the sample is calculated at 153 W. That means that
    the excess power coefficient is 224. This is the data coming from one of
    the experiments. [end Tcvetkov quote]

The interesting point Kirkshanahan asserts is that this is all simply 'heat of solution' for D in Ti. And that the
    apparent magnitude of the heat produced is also a function of "where you place your thermocouple". It seems that an
    effective re-examination of the issue, if there is to be one, would require allowing thermal equilibration
    after the dissolution with deuterium, that is, to measure total delta T over total mass. Of course that loses
    all the localization information while also reducing the magnitude of any possible temperature rise (or fall).

An idealized test would involve calorimetry, in which a suitable insulated container surrounds the reacting Ti. There
    is a risk that textbook, or systematic evaluations of enthalpy (delta H) and entropy (delta S) and hence overall
    delta G (Gibbs free energy) for such dissolutions may have themselves been compromised to an unknown extent by
    some LENR processes (if they happened to be present). It is another of those situations where a complete examination
    would also include isotopic analysis and particularly very high resolution Residual Gas Analysis.

And of course there are several reports that post dissolution treatment of resulting deuterides can initiate LENR. Those
    treatments can involve temperature, pressure and probably even magnetic, electromagnetic, electrostatic, or phonon
    stimulation or any combination of some or all of those.

So a complete analysis there would be a long and detailed process involving deuterium loading, treating with various stimuli and
    looking for both thermal and isotopic results.

In my view, the whole thing is not so easily dismissed without careful consideration of possibilities beyond the
    standard dogmas of thermodynamics. We may often be looking for small effects [Rpssi / Parkhomov replications]
    or very large effects [Lipinski UGC, Q over 7400]. The former case admittedly making the task more difficult
    than is usual in ordinary chemical thermodynamics. The reward in the end, even with small effects,
    is that such evidence could provide a basis for understanding the mechanisms and hence the possibility, at least, of
    making reactors with far more substantial output.

I believe "paraffin oil" is simply one of several mineral oils, but in this case straight chain n-alkanes of a certain size range (I see C15 to C40, but I suspect that is a bit wide. Mineral oil or high purity is readily had by buying pharmaceutical grade from a pharmacy or big box store. The only problem is that the mineral oil (and even paraffin oil) might not be strictly anhydrous. If you have access to metallic sodium, that is a good test for dryness (should be no bubbles of liberated H2, no build up of soaps or salts indicating other non-alkane comstituents). I would pay close attention to your ultimate application, you may well want no trace of oily hydrocarbons in say a powder or other application related to LENR. It may be best to buy a small tank of Ar while you are at the welding shop, keep those packets under Ar, open them in a glove box under Ar etc.

So why are you not by now a very wealthy Nobel laureate? And did you mean 5 rather than 50 years ago??

Or perhaps the intended wording was "Before" rather than "Following". I know that ogfusionist has said something to that effect on several occasions past.

As I understand the ogfusionist "device", it was not intended to accomplish a "meltdown", but that is what he has repeatedly stated happened. I have questioned whether this was simply reaching the melting point of borosilicate glass, also very near 830 deg C, but that suggestion has been rebuffed a couple of times including at least once in which the container was said to be fused quartz or another high temperature equivalent, e.g. Vycor. As I have understood the story, the meltdown was simply a curiosity that sat on his desk (Varian Associates?) for many years and only became the subject of "warm fusion" speculation with the advent of F & P. I don't know if ogfusionist maintains there were replications of aspects of the device by him. I have deduced that he may have seen the effect in some context and decided to more formally test it.... resulting in the melted device on the desktop and later its residence in a storage cabinet after retirement. He has confirmed that he is nearing 90 years of age... if so, he is doing a lot better than my mother who is near the same age.