Posts by Longview

To reconcile the "incredible density" with ordinary physical chemistry, can we assume that the loss of one, or even two, degrees of freedom in a surface environment might explain the formation of ultra dense deuterium. So the packing on a solid surface might enable not only charge-charge shielding, but also relatively fixed positional proximities not seen in any ordinary gaseous context.

I suspect the nuance and lesson from De Broglie's relationship, "lambda = h/p" which devolves classically to lambda (that is the rms positional uncertainty, or wavelength, equals Planck's constant divided by Newtonian momentum, where momentum p = mv). I suspect it is important to keep in mind that this relationship is "empirical", and is likely as fundamental as E = MC2, and possibly even more so.

The Widom-Larsen theory thus considers, that the electrons are moving fast, so that they get heavy.

This is quite an orthogonal or even opposite implication from a relativistic mass increase with increased v. That is, strong confinement implies a proportionate mass increase. Essentially, slowing to a zero velocity implies an infinite average mass. Effective mass for electrons has many implications, and perhaps none apply here. But Widom-Larsen is a good place to start. That theory does imply effective mass can become useful mass in making up the mass - energy deficit normally realized as a neutrino in the reverse reaction.

I am certain is is not useful to devolve to Kepler and the Bohr atom, for many reasons well discussed in physics since the "ultraviolet catastrophe" beginning around 1900.

Since the MEAN mass of the electron is precisely known, there may be only the possibility that the mass becomes time variant about that mean. Possibly related to this, an examination of "heavy electron" theory, will show that generally mass variation for electrons or "effective electrons" is vectorial, that is an increased effective mass in one direction is accompanied by decreases in at least one of the other spatial dimensions. I should note that the "deBroglie equation" has more complex variants that specify the variables with subscripts of x, y and z. Further there are relativistic versions. The general idea holds nevertheless.

I see in David Bohm's text "Quantum Theory" (1989 Dover Reprint of the original from Prentice-Hall, 1951) what I should have known already, quoting Bohm, page 69:

"De Broglie's derivation has the advantage, however, that it shows the relation E = h[nu] and P = h/[lambda] are relativistically invariant."

Secondly, I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions about where to get components, how to coat the nickel electrodes with platinum,

Vacuum deposition, if that was not obvious already.

Not saying electroplating is impossible.... chloroplatinic acid.... See "platinic chloride" in Merck Index for

a couple of references.

Those steel clips are fairly well known to corrode. There are, or were, stainless steel clips, similar to the ones pictured.

I bet there are plastic clips that won't complicate your chemistry at all.

What is interesting that the paper is written by Russian scientists originally.

Yes, very interesting link. I see on p. 4, figure 1, there is a substantial and rapid temperature rise at about minute 30. That anomaly might suggest some special exothermic process (LENR?) occurring and then apparently disappearing. Or is that simply a quick absorption due to cracking as a particular stress is reached?

Hey "can" thanks for the table and reference. But, I see some elements in the above table of hydride and non-hydride forming elements that must be questioned. For example, Si, silicon forms a very well known hydride, that is silane (SiH4), and there is the analogous "germane" (GeH4), both of which are analogs of methane (CH4). In the next column there are the known analogs of phosphine (PH3), that is arsine and stibnine (the hydrides respectively of arsenic and antimony (or stibnium in latin). These are essentially analogs of ammonia, that is NH3. Further, one might understand halogens as forming hydrides, those all being acids of course, although HF is a weak acid, HCl, HBr and HI are strong acids. The latter, HI may have enough anomalous energetics to be considered as a candidate for participating in possible LENR processes. Even oxygen has both an OH- and H2O "hydrides", and to be sure OD-, is likely essential to F-P CF.

I guess the dark blue elements with their positive heats of formation are effectively metastable, and effectively require energy input from the environment to be formed. Whereas the red elements tend to form giving off heat as enthalpy.

Another interesting table would be that showing the Gibb's free energy (delta G = delta H minus T delta S) , the more informative delta G giving a clearer view of the degree to which the hydride formation is spontaneous or not.

Yes, extreme caution with Hg vapors. But that does not preclude the possibility of doing those experiments. The main precaution would be a completely enclosed system, and a secondary enclosure around that. Tertiary protection, that is a separate respiration system for any personnel involved, as well as a complete suit to avoid transdermal exposures as well.

Remember Lavoisier was able to experiment with mercury, and only died because he got on the wrong side of the guiillotine. Likewise, Newton, head of the Royal Mint, physicist of highest rank and co-inventor of the calculus, was retrospectively thought to be intoxicated by mercury from his own experiments with "hydroargyrum = Hg".

I understand the starting point for many alchemical experiments was mercury in the quest to synthesize gold. Likely at least one of the motivators for both Lavoisier and Newton to mess with the stuff.

It is but a curious speculation that neurotoxicity might have enabled some "genius" insights.... Nicotine enhances learning, why not a little Hg? (Don't try either one, please!)

But the difference is that Pb implies fission, Po implies fusion. Regardless, a pulse driven transmutation at a high percentage is phenomenal. Such, if verifiable, would have implications for many other transmutations...

Nickel Carbonate is light green and paramagnetic, and will not retain magnetism. Stainless steels are typically 15-20% Nickel.

Didn't Ogfusionist, ~3 years back make some considerable case for nickel carbonate in his reported observations. Or was that my own deduction based on his description? Briefly, Ogfusionist had observed that FibreFrax containing some nickel of a particular oxidation state, when raised to a particular temperature in the presence of dry hydrogen, led to a spontaneous thermal runaway that melted or otherwise fused the fibrefrax substrate.