nickec Verified User
  • Male
  • from California, USA
  • Member since Jan 20th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by nickec

http://novametcorp.net/pdf/Datasheets/Novamet Green Nickel Oxide 01-15.pdf

Novamet sells what might be appropriate nickel oxide powder.

Fiber optic sensing seems expensive - I found one site which listed a $13,000 instrument. http://www.chiralphotonics.com/Web/1000ctempsensor.html

Pottery glaze has been mentioned as an affordable source of oxide.

Might thermocouples suffice?

I hope to turn the discussion in the direction of specifics re preparing an experiment.

Could lithium aluminum hydride serve as a hydrogen source?

Summary:
    Kanthal wrapped mullite tube
    TC sensing
    Reactor contents: Ceramic mesh/matting, Nickel (II) Oxide, LAH

I wonder what experiments might clarify the fuel state at different temperatures. A hurdle is reversible reactions which might muddle the analysis.

Is there a way to examine the fuel state in situ during operation? Would such observation, even if not covering the complete continuum of temperature, be instructive?

If in situ examination lies beyond our present technological tools, can clues be garnered by repeated partial heating runs? Such as ash analysis after various soak times at various maximum temperatures.

Examples:

2 hours at 200C
    2 hours at 400C
    2 hours at 600C

Using much smaller amounts of fuel might also provide answers to fuel operation states.

I would not avoid using literature and consensus, yet I feel a great need for experiments which can reduce reliance on what is thought to be known, attempting to instead actually know what a given set of parameters will produce. When we presume that systems act similarly to previous art we tread dangerously. Fortunately adventures sometimes lead to new vistas.

Alain: I referred to the thermocouple as shielded because it likely has a metal closed-end tube surrounding the welded bead of the thermocouple.

Under the protective ceramic cover seen in the picture I believe we would see the above described "shield".

An unshielded thermocouple would expose the welded bead directly to whatever atmosphere surrounds it.

As to whether hydrogen might find a way to contact the thermocouple bead, if the pictured thermocouple assembly is like many others I have seen and handled, then I should mention that the thermocouple is NOT hermetically sealed. The shielding merely places extra metal around the thermocouple - generally a stainless steel tube closed on one end much like a common glass test tube.

Other more expensive thermocouple protection exists which provides much better sealing - essential in some applications in various industrial processes. Some thermocouple shields include mineral oxides within the metal tube.

The link below covers some of above issues but should not be considered encyclopedic.

http://www.capgo.com/Resources…ocouple/Thermocouple.html

Would it be accurate to say, Longview, that you hope simpler chemical preparation methods might exist for both the Fiberfrax and the Nickel Oxide? (Simpler than those used by ogfusionist - meaning less time, less tooling, less cost.)

Methods which experimenters of modest means might implement?

The annotated image above may prove interesting to some readers while we await more information.

There is too little information to go very far into analysis.

The wattmeter, is not a part of the circuit, since the mains voltage is not plugged into the socket on the device face. Though it is likely that it normally is a part of the circuit during an experimental run.

The presence of the full wave rectifier seems to indicate DC current supplies the heating wires. Trace the wire in all the pictures and let me know if you think this is an error on my part.

The two holes in the left-most refractory (alligator clips attached ) might allow the shielded thermocouple access - you slide the thermocouple inside.

Clearly this is not the fully wired system under operation.

Mankind survived without petroleum products for a very long time - and population expanded as did commerce. Other lubricants existed and continue to do so. Alternative energy sources also existed and new twists on old ones seem inevitable. Commerce chooses energy sources opportunistically - as do people. If the total available energy to mankind dropped we would adapt. Such adaptation might actually prove beneficial. Imagine people living within walking distance of work. Imagine your food growing nearby.

To paint a picture of doom caused by lack of petroleum products strikes me as quite short-sighted. It is an opportunity. An opportunity for change. Change for the better if we choose to make it so.

The ability to cross the oceans and traverse the continents for recreation or profit will outlive oil because humans adapt. That is what we do.

Any downtime, any respite from plastic can be used to clean things up or to await Nature doing the cleaning. As it always does.

How can we tell the difference between wire breaks caused by heat from inside the reactor and wire breaks caused by wire defects?

If a hotspot manifests inside the reactor would it not first melt the heating wire before melting the alumina?

Online references cite 2072 C as the melting point of alumina and kanthal varies by formulation melting between 1200 and 1500.

This causes me to conjecture that a tube can remain intact while hot enough to melt the heating wire - leading to an open arc which then can in some cases then destroy the tube.

One way to test this would be to heat an alumina plate with a torch from one side with unelectrified kanthal on the other side.

With all due respect, I must strongly disagree with Majorana's assessment - in particular his admonishment to "Stop wasting your time and money."

I am sure he means well.

Possibly, like many other spectators, he hopes for quick resolution of the question: "Does it really work?"

Imagine for a moment that our ancestors stopped wasting their time trying to build steam engines, or flying machines, or integrated circuits.

We monkeys get things into our little pea brains. They stick there. And thank goodness we just keep on rubbing sticks together.

I am proud to be a monkey. Beating my head up against uncooperative situations is my specialty. Sometimes it works out. When it does, it is glorious.

So I hope, Majorana, you will indulge some of us who enjoy wasting time and money in the adventures of our choosing.

P.S.: Can you imagine how ridiculous it must have seemed, and for how long, to get fire from friction? And how magical for the first to succeed?

Conjecture 10: Inexpensive gas sensors coupled with an Arduino can determine if hydrogen is leaking from a reactor.

Searching ebay turns up MQ-8 gas sensors. About $2 USD.

The MQ-8 detects hydrogen at parts per million levels.

To check my thinking I posted to socratic.org where one reader replied with a calculation. Summary: in a 36 liter container 10 milliliters of hydrogen is needed to reach 300 PPM.

Clearly we have very little hydrogen generated when 0.10 grams of Lithium Aluminum Hydride is heated. Yet it may be possible to detect if it is trapped in a simple conical hood above the reactor. The hope is that it will linger long enough under the hood to exceed the sensor threshold.

How to do it?

Find additional official Arduino MQ help here. Note the need for a burn-in procedure before using.

Thanks for another stimulating educational experience, Me. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hunting down solutions to the challenges presented will make addicts of many onlookers.

Truly can hardly wait for the next round. I hear a constant chipping against a stone wall. What will we see on the other side?

Congratulations, Denis. That system held together a very long time. Great stuff.

We should all keep in mind that it is very early days. Remember Alexander P's large collection of damaged reactors, and Rossi's claims of killing many, many, many more reactors.

One other note: If you knew you would eventually succeed, would you quit at 100 defeats? At 200? Some people never say die. Sometimes they change the world. :borg: