nickec Verified User
  • Male
  • from California, USA
  • Member since Jan 20th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by nickec

Periodically, ntom50 sells LAH on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/usr/ntom50

At the following link below you can see a recently closed listing.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithiu…50g-97-min-/161561319162?

By sending ntom50 a message, you could determine when he will next sell some LiAlH4.

You can also "follow" ntom50 so you get alerts when he lists:
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/ntom50?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Another seller, dwsurman, also sells LAH:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithiu…ade-10Grams-/121589103189

With regard to the comment of 1000X energy potential of this compound over conventional chemistry, how would one account for this in calculating energy in vs. energy out in a LENR experiment? Namely, how would one know they're getting a nuclear excess…

Hey David. I believe the 1000 times referred to involves calculations found in the Lugano Report. See the Ragone Plot in the report. Below is an edit of the original plot/chart from the report.

The context might also relate to an event described by Fleischmann/Pons in which a runaway experiment melted through a typical chemistry lab benchtop, the supporting structure, and then through rebar and concrete in the floor.

I should emphasize that I seek not to speak for Longview, who posted the phrase you would like clarified.
    He can best provide his intended meaning.

They are hollow. Whether a particular recipe for sealing produces consistent results requires trials.

Another option is kiln posts. Potters use them in kilns. Many cross-sections available. All are hollow. Not wound with wire.

Subscribe to my blog for periodic suggestions for DIY CMNS.

Consider making simple experiments to find appropriate reactor body materials and procedures. You need not invest large amounts of money. You can make a very, very small kiln from recycled parts. By making parts smaller, you can save material and time. Through careful calculation you can assess if a particular material and assembly process is workable at full scale.

Winding heating wire around test bodies can vitrify them, so kiln-less work is also possibly viable.

Dave Lawton has posted pictures of a reactor "in process", meaning not yet fueled - merely test heated before fueling or sealing - on his Facebook page. I hope to learn more soon and will post to my "LENR CLUB" blog nicomlicom.

Pencil bar heating elements which are available in the UK seem to be a good almost ready-made reactor body. This is what Dave is using.

He shared this link as a source.

Needless to say a hollow molded ceramic tube neatly wound with heating wire is a great find.

@wishfulThinking

Remotely opening a reactor inside a much larger volume vessel sealed from the atmosphere is one way to "disarm" it. If your reactor body is glass you can score the outside and then snap the end off - however, this is likely dangerous without very stout gloves.

A remote guillotine which breaks off the end of the reactor is a better solution provided you take into account that ejecta MUST be contained. Imagine a spring loaded chisel perpendicular to the long axis of the reactor. Housed inside a closed chamber the chisel breaks the tube end. Then the operator opens a valve which slowly lowers pressure in the chamber.

You need a way to grasp the reactor at a safe distance and to cut wires. I see a long forcep-like appliance with a built-in shields near the tongs. Setting up the thermocouple and heating wires on refractory anvils allows remote cutting by long chisel. The more you can put between you and the reactor during these procedures the better.

Conjecture 8: Temperature is more important than pressure in AGP-like reactors.
    Conjecture 9: Pressure is more important in AGP-like reactors.

These two may seem confusing. I am trying here to underline that temperature and pressure influence each other but are separate. Therefore, by sizing the reactor vessel and the reactor contents, experiments might demonstrate that lower pressures at operating temperatures work just as well as higher pressures at operating temperatures.

In other words, 1200C at 100 bar might prove workable and easier than 1200C at 300 bar.

Conjecture 9 is what we, at this juncture, hope against. A requirement for both high pressure and high temperature makes engineering more daunting.

http://www.hexoloy.com/high-temperature-ceramics

http://www.hexoloy.com/hexoloy-sic-physical-properties

I have found that a number of companies seem to sell hexoloy branded products. A real time-saver would be phoning several of them and describing the challenge in detail - the pressures, the temperatures, the contents. With some luck you might find an engineer who has the material science knowledge necessary to give good advice. No need to share what the true goal of the experiment is - unless you sense that might be helpful.

I have looked at sapphire tubes and other materials, yet because substitutions complicate comparisons with Parkhomov I have not invested in the many possible alternatives. This is not meant to dissuade you. It may prove out that interesting new things are learned from varying apparatus designs.

The 4.1x10 and the 6x13 look to be among the stoutest.

Will the locus of heat then lie between the electrodes with the nickel lying between the electrodes? Does this mean two seals? One at each end of the open tubes? I apologize if this seems already clearly outlined. It is easy to misinterpret text.

You have likely heard of the phrase "Belt and Suspenders". I advocate a fire control of expedient design: a bagful of sand atop a hinged plank above the experiment. Easily rigged to be quickly deployed - dumped on the "reaction".

I also advocate baby steps: gradual pressure test of trial seals; gradual increase of "reactants" - particularly hydrides. The advantage of baby steps is you fall from a lower height. Careful and patient increase of temperature seems prudent and too slow is NOT possible.

The temperatures and pressures involved lie far beyond everyday life experiences. The habits formed from life can thus greatly endanger any experimenter. While I feel you know this, I feel it cannot be overstated. Our frail and limited human senses easily fall short when science strains to advance.

I have a number of questions, if you will indulge me, Benoit?

What are the sources of your tubes and what are the wall thicknesses?

How are the tubes sealed?

How thick is the polycarbonate? Is the "box" vented?

What material comprises the electrodes?

I note that we have a mutual interest, telescope construction. Did this inspire your temperature measurement approach?

http://www.dorogadomoj.com/se03abv.html

The link above is the shortest most direct aid I have found for learning the Russian Alphabet.

Quoting the page:

"Russian alphabet can be easily learned in one hour.

.. Russian alphabet is phonetic, or nearly phonetic. This means that every SOUND in Russian language has a corresponding LETTER in the alphabet. ... This means that once we learn how to pronounce Russian letters we can read all Russian. We might not understand, but we will be able to read. If we can read, we can understand already a lot.

... they use a lot of foreign words and by being able to read it, we will be able to understand what are they talking about. There is no subject called "spelling", there is no need for it. Children start reading very early. "

I hope this post will encourage Forum Readers to pick out words using their knowledge of the Russian Alphabet.

As Brian has pointed out elsewhere in our forum here, an armored box makes experiments safer.

Once you have loaded a reactor, it is wise to store it inside an armored container. Such a container might consist of a homemade plywood box. You can line such a box with metal sheet.

Wearing kevlar gloves outside of nitrile gloves can give an extra layer of protection to your invaluable hands should a loaded reactor decide to burst while you are holding it. In addition to a full face shield and goggles, placing some strong acrylic sheet between you and a reactor can pay dividends. This is why you see the fancy boxed in areas in labs with what might be misconstrued as "sneeze shields" - though in some sciences that is a major factor.

Another option: a sand filled steel container like a trash receptacle.

In video of A.G. Parkhomov's experiment you can see what appears to be an enameled steel pot which surrounds his reactor. A heavy steel lid covers the pot.

While it may seem ambitious, rigging a system which can quickly dump sand atop your reactor seems a good idea.

If your armored container has no vents then pressure can build up inside. Some venting makes sense. AGP seems to rely on his metal lid merely opening should there be a spike of pressure release.

Avoid touching or breathing in any metal powders - nickel or otherwise. This is very important.

If your guard is down, you might take a punch, so keep your guard up at all times to avoid a bloody nose or worse.

Conjecture 7: Since reactant compounds in AGP-like reactors decompose to elements, these elements can be placed inside a reactor using a wide variety of compounds resulting in LENR effects.

Experiments need doing to determine which compounds might demonstrate LENR. Since aluminum, alumina, hydrogen, lithium, and nickel reside in AGP's testbed it makes sense to investigate compounds which are constituted of the same elements - avoiding other elements. While the ratios of elements will vary with different compounds, nevertheless much might be learned from a series of experiments involving the listed elements.

Poster to vortex-l mailing list, Axil Axil, advocates sodium and potassium as compliments to nickel in AGP-like reactor experiments. I am unaware of any experiments following his advice - as yet. He postulates that nanoparticles can form inside a reactor and that this formation is key to success.

Conjecture 6: Nichrome heating wire fails when restricted under a coating of ceramic paste. If the wire is wrapped at a low enough tension and allowed to expand and contract without pulling against itself, then the wire will fail less often.

To explore heating wire failure two reactors can be compared in real-world heat cycles to test the conjecture.

AGP has noted in his most recent report, the "second report", that hotspots are slowing development - shortening experimental run times. Longer run times are critical to progress and to short-term "validation". In a recent 2 hour video Alexander showed broken reactors - failed due to hotspots.

If you make a comparison between free-to-move and under-cement wire please report it to http://ni.comli.com where other information useful to experimenters can be found.