How Academia and Academic Publishing are Hindering Scientific Innovation

• Official Post

[feedquote='E-Cat World','http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/03/how-academia-and-academic-publishing-are-hindering-scientific-innovation/']The following is a user-submitted post by Marcus Haber There is a very interesting document written byElizabeth Dzeng on the website Kings Review, an online magazine published at King’s College, Cambridge Its an interview by Dzeng, […][/feedquote]

• Official Post

this articles :
    How Academia and Publishing are Destroying Scientific Innovation: A Conversation with Sydney Brenner

featured by ECW is absolutely shocking, and sadly follow many other's scientists denunciations (as you can read inside).
    ECW cite few good quotes, but there is much more:

Quote from "Sydney Brenner"

To have seen the development of a subject, which was looked upon with disdain by the establishment from the very start, actually become the basis of our whole approach to biology today. That is something that was worth living for.

This one give an explanation of the LENR Fiasco, by contrast

I strongly believe that the only way to encourage innovation is to give it to the young. The young have a great advantage in that they are ignorant. Because I think ignorance in science is very important. If you’re like me and you know too much you can’t try new things. I always work in fields of which I’m totally ignorant.

This quote chosen by ECW is really resonating with LENR at F&P time:

What people don’t realise is that at the beginning, it was just a handful of people who saw the light, if I can put it that way. So it was like belonging to an evangelical sect, because there were so few of us, and all the others sort of thought that there was something wrong with us.

They weren’t willing to believe. Of course they just said, well, what you’re trying to do is impossible.

As I say often this reactions is classic, jut worse today, as he denounce later.

The hard explanations continue, describing the Scientific system today:

The interviewer remind us that he is not the only scientist to critic current Science:

Brenner answer clearly:

He wouldn’t have survived. It is just the fact that he wouldn’t get a grant today because somebody on the committee would say, oh those were very interesting experiments, but they’ve never been repeated. And then someone else would say, yes and he did it a long time ago, what’s he done recently? And a third would say, to top it all, he published it all in an un-refereed journal.

So you know we now have these performance criteria, which I think are just ridiculous in many ways. But of course this money has to be apportioned, and our administrators love having numbers like impact factors or scores.

So clearly applying to Cold Fusion... except that it is replicated, published in peer-review journals, but nobody believe it is, so they will say the same bad excuse.

He continue with a harsh critics against peer-review that ECW emphasized too:

And of course all the academics say we’ve got to have peer review. But I don’t believe in peer review because I think it’s very distorted and as I’ve said, it’s simply a regression to the mean.

I think peer review is hindering science. In fact, I think it has become a completely corrupt system. It’s corrupt in many ways, in that scientists and academics have handed over to the editors of these journals the ability to make judgment on science and scientists. There are universities in America, and I’ve heard from many committees, that we won’t consider people’s publications in low impact factor journals.

Now I mean, people are trying to do something, but I think it’s not publish or perish, it’s publish in the okay places [or perish]. And this has assembled a most ridiculous group of people. I wrote a column for many years in the nineties, in a journal called Current Biology. In one article, “Hard Cases”, I campaigned against this [culture] because I think it is not only bad, it’s corrupt. In other words it puts the judgment in the hands of people who really have no reason to exercise judgment at all.

This section of the interview resonate with Randy Shekman call to boycott high-impact journals
    Nobel Winner Boycott Science Journals

Schekman said pressure to publish in "luxury" journals encouraged researchers to cut corners and pursue trendy fields of science instead of doing more important work. The problem was exacerbated, he said, by editors who were not active scientists but professionals who favoured studies that were likely to make a splash.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.