Electron-assisted fusion

• /* Electron attraction mediated by Coulomb repulsion */

According to my theory, this mechanism (despite its confusing labeling in Nature article) is actually responsible for all cases of superconductivity: the electrons become superconductive, when they're compressed each other. Which indeed requires attractive forces of another electrons, which are holding and squeezing them with outside structures (orbitals, crystal lattice or even polymer chains) like hens in the cages.

For example niobium gets superconductive, because it's held together with elongated f-orbitals, whereas the electrons in another orbitals remain squeezed inside of them. The sodium has no elongated orbitals available, therefore it remains soft and non-superconductive even at high pressure (which usually helps the superconductivity to manifest itself).

As the above article also notes, this mechanism has been proposed before fifty years already for synthesis of organic superconductors and these superconductors were really found in 1984 (i.e. some twenty years later) accidentally and named ultraconductors by team of Dr. Leonid Grigorov, in Moscow at the Institute of Polymer Materials of the Russian Academy of Science. They have also been reproduced at the Bar Ilan University in Israel where magnetic measurements showed stability at 9 Tesla, the limit of their equipment. Unfortunately that time the physics of superconductors has been dominated by BCS theory, so that the above proposal including the finding later has been ignored completely with mainstream physics (not quite surprisingly for regular visitors of cold fusion forums - the contemporary physics is full of such taboos).

• I must admit I've lost track a bit of this interesting discussion in recent weeks. I wonder if there are any new developments?

The following questions are conceptual rather than accurate science may be but I wonder if they have been considered?

Have H- Hydrogen Anions interaction with Rydberg Hydrogen or Hollow Atoms (ones with inner electrons removed by X-rays or other particles) been considered in this context? Perhaps a way to the nucleus is available to the anion due to the planar or ring nature of highly excited orbitals?

Would the anions electrons be captured by the other atom into a low energy orbital ejecting the outer electrons? And would the trajectory of the anion proton take it close to the nucleus of the other atom perhaps within the neutron cross section radius say before it is slowed and ejected?

Is this theory also looking at interactions in terms of the election orbital wave functions and the wave functions of interacting protons? If so is there a certain probability that those interactions result in local charge cancelation? if so could we expect nucleus interactions that are not affected by the coulomb Barrier so the nucleon binding energy is more important for example if this occurs at a similar distance from the nucleus as the neutron cross section for odd neutron nuclei (or equivalent charge independant proton cross section for odd proton nuclei)?

I suppose if so slower anion and proton interactions would have a higher probability of interacting with the electron wave function in this way and perhaps interacting with the nucleus.

From discussions elsewhere It does seem to me that LENR may depend on having excited atoms such as Rydberg matter and hollow atoms in proximity of hydrogen anions in ground state this seems quite a rare environment requiring high density of these diverse states and particular materials, physical surfaces and active sites to achieve.

Could UDD an UDH be formed by similar interactions between H- anions and Rydberg Hydrogen matter prior to any nucleus interaction?

• /* no elements that produce his type of superconductivity is used in LENR */

It could serve as an indicia, that superconductivity has nothing to do with LENR

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. IMHO, LENR is a product of superconductivity. But that unique type of superconductivity is based on hydrides. We will learn much about this when the internal heat sources of planets are researched, the big red spot on Jupiter will be an example.

http://newatlas.com/dark-hydrogen/44018/

and

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36904456

Jupiter's Great Red Spot 'roars with heat'

• IMO they're heated in the same mechanism like the solar corona - but this temperature applies to sparse atmosphere highly above Jupiter red spot and it has nothing to do with superconductivity and dense hydrogen beneath it. AxillAxill combines whatever links from the web just by few words coincidence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Physi…_spot_heats_planets_upper

Pluto has been liquefied for 5 billion years, Where is all that heat coming from? use your brain and go through all the possibilities. You will end up with LENR.

• It has all the characteristics of a predicted high temp high pressure SC. It is coupled with the strongest magnetic field outside of the Sun.

//http://mentalfloss.com/uk/space/29992/jupiter-has-a-bigger-magnetic-field-than-the-sun (sorry first reference)

• The devel is in the details.

Robert E. Godes posted as follows:
    3 months ago

That is quite funny when my IP was filed in 2006 before Rossi was even involved in LENR. Rossi by his own admission has studied it extensively taking about 100 pages of notes. I looked at Rossi's IP and it does not teach anything. By the way I don't use Li in my reactor cores. Only occasionally is Li used for diagnostics.

How can Zephir_AWT explain LENR that occurs with only hydrogen and nickel as is configured in the Godes reactor? Answer: Zephir_AWT et al produces word salad with no regard for experimental reality.

• As electrons seem crucial in (hypothetical) LENR, the first step is really understanding their dynamics (this thread was supposed to be about) - not only probability density predicted by quantum mechanics, but also the actual local directions of their dynamics (finally leading to quantum probabilities).

The best way to ask nature about these kind of questions is scattering - bombarding atoms with electrons or heavier particles, and look at statistics of the results, compare with theoretical predictions.
    That was the way of Gryzinski, whose e.g. 1965 "Classical Theory of Atomic Collisions. I. Theory of Inelastic Collisions" has 1308 citations. Between 1957 and 1999 he had more than 20 papers in the best journals (Phys Rev etc.):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-fall_atomic_model (added much more papers ... but someone wants to delete the article - please help defending it)

His conclusion is that much better agreement than Bohr's circular orbits, give radial "free-falling" trajectories of electrons.

I have finally found time to start deeply reading these papers (all on sci-hub) and they are really impressive, also comments from citations - I would gladly discuss about them.
    He was also a believer in cold fusion (comment in Nature in 1989), however, I couldn't reach his later papers on this topic - maybe someone has access?

Maybe let's finally try to discuss what this thread was intended to be about - dynamics of electrons and how to use it LENR predictions?

• The best way to ask nature about these kind of questions is scattering - bombarding atoms with electrons or heavier particles, and look at statistics of the results, compare with theoretical predictions.

If you follow the other thread too, then you might notice that one 100 years of bombarding atoms didn't bring the key knowledge for LENR. Look at the high precision (narrow band) X-ray laser paper about "splitting" the electron Axil posted (Spin-Orbital Separation ..) .

What we really need is a search for "sweet spots" = "small bandwidth resonances" in the nuclear spectrums.

• Wyttenbach, understanding electron dynamics in LENR is a separate problem from nuclear physics - here we only focus on understanding how electrons could shield Coulomb barrier down to a distance when nuclear physics can take over (picometers).

Also experiments are very different - instead of using photons (e.g. X-ray), which have extremely complex and not understood structure of EM field, he focuses on massive particles in his scattering considerations: mainly electrons and protons.
    From the perspective of classical physics, you have a e.g. 3 body problem, and just ask which electron trajectory fits the experiment better: e.g. circular of Bohr, or radial/free falling (Bohr-Sommerfeld degenerated to zero angular momentum, as QM says 1s hydrogen is).

Here is example of such experiment from http://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S1547477116020096

ps. Just found some his cold fusion conference paper! (sadly no pdf) : http://scitation.aip.org/conte…ing/aipcp/10.1063/1.40688

"Theory of electron catalyzed fusion in Pd lattice"
    "When an electron is placed in the center of mass of two deuterons, those
    being attracted by a negative charge of the electron may reach zero
    separation and fuse. The idea which forms in fact the essence of Coulomb
    barrier tunnelling is applied to interpretation of cold fusion
    experiments. Theoretical model describing behaviour of hydrogen in
    Pd‐lattice is presented and molecular mechanism of nuclear fusion is
    described. Accordingly to the formulated theory hydrogen in Pd lattice
    exists mostly in the form of linear H+2(D+2, DH+)
    quasimolecules, which during α→β phase transition may lose stability
    and may collapse, forming tighly bound nuclear system. Synthesis of
    tritium from deuterons and protons, accordingly to the scheme D+e+p→T+h∫dη,
    is, therefore, quite possible. It is a characteristic feature of
    electron catalyzed nuclear fusion that energy is in principle released
    in the form of soft X‐rays. Arguments are presented that a
    single‐crystal Pd‐electrode has to be used to achieve high fusion rates."

• Wyttenbach, understanding electron dynamics in LENR is a separate problem from nuclear physics - here we only focus on understanding how electrons could shield Coulomb barrier down to a distance when nuclear physics can take over (picometers).

In newer papers, we find the following explanation for inverse Rydberg matter: D2/H2 are asymmetrically split and form an ensemble of H+/H- species, which are highly polarized and mutually attract themselves - down to 2.3pm (Holmlid). In fact there must be many more H+than H- species as a part of the electrons is expelled to the surface.

• Wyttenbach, I have googled this "inverse Rydberg matter" and see that you mean electron trajectories closer than the ground state.
    So personally I see them forbidden due to Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization condition (int pdq = nh): that the internal periodic process of electron (zitterbewegung/de Broglie's clock) has to perform integer number of ticks during a closed orbit. This "inverse Rydberg matter" would require 0 < n < 1 number of ticks.
    Couder gives great picture why these conditions (closed orbit and integer n) are crucial (below from http://www.pnas.org/content/107/41/17515.full ) - it is required to find resonance with the surrounding EM field. Otherwise high energy fluctuations would be additionally required.

I am not talking here about some exotic hypothetical states of matter, but just understanding electron dynamics in standard matter, like casual hydrogen.

The picture from experiment from my previous post is just classical 3 body problem: you have classical hydrogen modeled as circular Bohr's or radial free-falling trajectory, you pass another proton nearby and ask for the probability of electron capture: that this incoming proton will steal the electron.
    As we can see in that picture, only radial model gives agreement with experimental data here.

• Wyttenbach, thank you, I have looked at the paper.
    It starts with what we agree on "It was recognized early in the CF development that the best (perhaps the only) means of fusion at low temperatures and energies was to increase the time that negative charge spends between fusing nuclei. This means of overcoming the Coulomb barrier between nuclei is a continuing theme and is addressed in most models of LENR (...)"

However, then there are these femtometer orbits, closer than the ground state - as I have just written, they contradict the Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization condition, so EM field cannot evolve in a resonant way, there are needed some nasty high energy fluctuations there.
    Such state cannot be stable, cannot be low energetic also because it would become the ground state in this case - we would observe such hydrogen as the casual one.
    The ground state hydrogen is just the lowest energy dynamical configuration for p+e.

In contrast, in free-fall picture electrons also get very close to nucleus ... but only for a very short time.
    And as Gryzinski has showed in many papers in the best journals (Phys rev etc, one has 1300 citations), in contrast to circular orbits, these radial ones are in agreement with scattering experiments: predicted cross-sections, capture probabilities while scattering on atoms with electrons or protons.

While circular trajectories are excluded in LENR explanations in so many levels, with radial trajectories everything fits (even without taking electron's magnetic dipole into consideration):
    Bohr-Sommerfeld ellipse trajectory degenerates for 0 angular momentum (1s hydrogen) into back-scatteering radial trajectory. If another nucleus is approaching from its direction, this electron will remain between them, screening the Coulomb barrier - exactly as required.
    Here is example of electron trajectory with included magnetic dipole moment of electron into consideration:

No magical hypothetical additional entities are needed.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.