Some Points Regarding a Recent Presentation at ICCF20 on the ‘Lugano Report’ (Rainer Rander)

• Abd has done more work than you or me: I take what he says as validation - "I cited the camera manual for the type of sensor used, and found the definition of that in the Optris literature. It is an array of microbolometers, essentially tiny resistors with well-controlled IR emissivity and set up for precise resistance measurements.")

Thanks. I cited the sources in Some Points Regarding a Recent Presentation at ICCF20 on the ‘Lugano Report’ (Rainer Rander)
    and the reference there to "the Basics document" was to the Optris user guide that Wytthenbach had cited. It can be found at http://www.optris.com/infrared…ds/Zubehoer/IR-Basics.pdf

We have seen manuals quoted incorrectly or out-of-context. When continuing to assert a position contradicted by what should be an authority, it would be sanity to at least quote the manual, and then explain some possible misinterpretation. However, someone who is utterly convinced that they are right, and that anything else is FUD and arrogance, may not bother, leading to deeper and deeper entrenchment in a fundamentally embarassing position. Still, the fast track out is always the truth. Like, "Oops! Brain fault! Sorry!"

"I was wrong" actually increases reputation. Contrary to this is the training of males in the culture I was raised in. "Never give up!" Yeah. If a stand is important to you, don't give up just because you make a mistake. But denying the obvious is almost suicidal, as to reputation. This particular point (about the device actually used to measure radiation) was of little importance to the studied issue, the measurement of heat. Knowing exactly how the camera works is not necessary. Knowing how such a camera is used is important. That is also found in the manual and Basics guide.

• We have seen manuals quoted incorrectly or out-of-context. When continuing to assert a position contradicted by what should be an authority, it would be sanity to at least quote the manual, and then explain some possible misinterpretation. However, someone who is utterly convinced that they are right, and that anything else is FUD and arrogance, may not bother, leading to deeper and deeper entrenchment in a fundamentally embarassing position. Still, the fast track out is always the truth. Like, "Oops! Brain fault! Sorry!"

@Abd: I just consulted the technical manual of Optris. They in fact they don't use a CCD (GaF high frequency rate images.. seem still to be only for high end military use.. thus I cited the wrong sensor technology), but the detector mode of operation is the same. Instead "of a charge" they store the photons as heat in a tiny thermo-variable resistor. The read-out is the same as in CCD's. From the logic point of view nothing changes. The current "u" they read out is directly related to Plank's law, as written in the docu. To get the "n's" (T, e, ..) of the averaging formula, you have to ask Optris. The build up - internal calibration - of the camera is to complex to make any guesses...

But two additional things I have read: Optris uses mirrors to enhance and infer the incoming waves to level out the photons. And there is one way to cheat the camera, if you block the auto-calibration mode.
    Further on the camera is specified up to Tenv. 50C. The place the camera was mounted seems to be far to close for less than 50C...

I just consulted the technical manual of Optris. They in fact they don't use a CCD (GaF high frequency rate images.. seem still to be only for high end military use.. thus I cited the wrong sensor technology), but the detector mode of operation is the same. Instead "of a charge" they store the photons as heat in a tiny thermo-variable resistor. The read-out is the same as in CCD's. From the logic point of view nothing changes. The current "u" they read out is directly related to Plank's law, as written in the docu. To get the "n's" (T, e, ..) of the averaging formula, you have to ask Optris. The build up - internal calibration - of the camera is to complex to make any guesses...

So we are agreed - as Abd and I both said some while ago - whether photons or power is counted - it makes little difference to the main argument.

Also - you agree that the detector current is a good (linear) measure of radiant power received.

The thing you remain confused about is the relationship between radiant power and `n`.

This is a matter of physics, because for a given (band) emissivity eb the power received by the sensor is proportional to:
    Ps(T) = eb*{radiant power in band 7-13u from black body at temperature T}

The Black Body radiant power has a relationship on temperature T that is complex, and simulated by the camera internal software, but luckily we can also find it from the web calculators that Paradigmnoia or I posted, and you can work out the value of n from that just like I did earlier.

There is no mystery here. After all the camera must have software that respects physics and therefore turns received power into temperature in a way that is compatible with the (known, fixed) Plank Law curve. The value of n does indeed change from ~2 (at low temperatures where there is also a correction for ambient temperature) to 14 (they say) at high temperatures, because the Planck curve is highly nonlinear. You can calculate n from the Planck curve (or a web calculator). you can even include the ambient temperature correction though for the temperatures of interest here (~800C) that does not have a significant effect
    I agree with you that guessing is no good here: but numerical integration of the Planck Law (as TC did) or using a web radiant power calculator is not guessing. I'd recommend you to do one or the other before continuing to make unsustainable claims.

But two additional things I have read: Optris uses mirrors to enhance and infer the incoming waves to level out the photons. And there is one way to cheat the camera, if you block the auto-calibration mode.Further on the camera is specified up to Tenv. 50C. The place the camera was mounted seems to be far to close for less than 50C...

This is pseudo-skeptic style argument. You cast FUD on some result that you wish were not true without any evidence to back up your claims.

I agree, overheating the camera might be an additional source of error beyond the other ones we know about (which are significant). However I don't see that as obviously true: remember the ambient temperature is that of the air, and 50C would fry people. Why not check what the Optris manual says?

Also, you are quite right that the camera might be misused, just as the power analyser could be similarly misused. These were people in theory less likely to do that than Rossi himself, since academics, although they had a strong interest in the Rossi tests and Levi was very highly linked to Rossi. Still, this data is the best we have for tests of Rossi devices: more stringently instrumented and with better oversight than any other test.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

@Abd: I just consulted the technical manual of Optris.

After chiding others for not consulting the manual that you had not consulted, more than to glance at a page and extract the number you wanted, i.e., "4." And then continuing this even when the divergence from the manual was explicitly pointed out.

They in fact they don't use a CCD (GaF high frequency rate images.. seem still to be only for high end military use.. thus I cited the wrong sensor technology), but the detector mode of operation is the same. Instead "of a charge" they store the photons as heat in a tiny thermo-variable resistor. The read-out is the same as in CCD's.

I was, effectively, an electronics engineer and immediately recognize the continued error.

No. It is not read out "the same" as in CCDs, which do convert photon effects to charge and then read it out by shifting the entire array, transferring charge from CCD element to element. The Optris Camera uses a microbolometer array, which does not store charge at all, and photons are not exactly stored as heat, the photons are not stored at all (but some of their energy is). This is all a contortion of language to preserve some appearance of being right. It's obvious. I do not know, for sure, the exact readout method used, but it definitely is not what CCDs use. Rather, each resistance would be interrogated, typically by activating a current source as one wire for a row of devices, then reading out the voltage on each of the other lines, one for each column. As pointed out, this does not matter, for the main topic, but this whole line was brought up by Wyttenbach attempting to use "counting photons," as an argument. Once again, no counting is involved. Counting is a specific cognitive process that has no role in the microbolometer array function. Even CCDs do not actually count, but accumulate a charge that is proportional to the number of active photons. There is no "count." Wyttenbach is doing violence to language, for what purpose?

I gave a link to the CCD article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-coupled_device
    Microbolometers are described in another article I linked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbolometer . However, this does not describe how this array is read. As an electronics engineer, though, I find it obvious. There is an array of resistors whose resistance is to be measured. The simplest method is that there is a X-Y grid of wires, connected through diodes to each resistor. So if a voltage is applied to a X-wire, a "row" and ground to a Y-wire, a "column," a current will flow only through one resistor, the one "addressed" by the X-Y combination. The current is then read, and then the applied voltage is stepped through all combinations. For improving speed, an entire row of sensors might be sensed at once, which then requires current measurement capability on each line. This is all trivial with integrated circuit technology today.

From what I cited before, the microbolometer is described as ""FPA, uncooled (25 μm x 25 μm)". The exact manufacturer and mode are not stated. some other specifications: Optical resolution: 160 x 120 pixel, Spectral range: 7.5 - 13 µm.
    http://www.dali-tech.us/produc…red-fpa-detector--58.html is such a product, meeting those specifications, except it is 8-14 µm. Close. I was looking for an application data sheet, I didn't find one readily available on-line. I have, however, no doubt that the readout method I've mentioned is at least close to what is being done. There is no charge to transfer in a bucket brigade, as with CCDs. There will be a sense current that generates a voltage proportional to the resistance, or the like, for each pixel. In a very high speed device, there might be integrated electronics with a large number of interface lines, an entire row may be acquired at once.

Now, back to the main point:

From the logic point of view nothing changes. The current "u" they read out is directly related to Plank's law, as written in the docu. To get the "n's" (T, e, ..) of the averaging formula, you have to ask Optris. The build up - internal calibration - of the camera is to complex to make any guesses...

They won't necessarily have the answer for your specific material. Thinking that this is how to use the camera is part of the major error being made. Making guesses is not the idea. What is recommended is calibration. There is a chart of emissivity in the user guide. It does include two entries for alumina. Neither is usable. The major point is that using total emissivity is completely off, particularly with the actual band emissivity of the alumina in the Lugano reactor. As a bit of bad luck, the only calibration they did was at a temperature where alumina band emissivity may have more or less matched total emissivity.

But two additional things I have read: Optris uses mirrors to enhance and infer the incoming waves to level out the photons. And there is one way to cheat the camera, if you block the auto-calibration mode.
    Further on the camera is specified up to Tenv. 50C. The place the camera was mounted seems to be far to close for less than 50C...

It is unlikely that the camera was above 50 C. If the device were at 1400 C, maybe! But it wasn't. 50 C. is generally considered "too hot to hold." I would not expect sensitive electronics to be functional at that temperature, though the microbolometer array is rated to 60 C. I don't think the Optris uses mirrors, but the optics are designed for performance in-band.

Using the camera is far simpler than it is being made out to be. Just get the band emissivity right by calibration!

• Thank you for the explanation, Mr. Lomax, but I still doubt that the emissivity which has to be insert in the IR camera could be the spectral one. So you are telling me that the user should insert... what.....the mean spectral emissivity in the camera’s sensitivity range? For alumina this mean value is the same for the range 7.5 - 12 μm and the range 7.5 - 13 μm, so it seems to me that this can not be the right choice. Maybe the user should insert the function ε(λ) in the IR camera, but I think that Optris camera let you insert just a number (not a function) for the emissivity value. So I wonder how you could use the spectral emissivity when this value is not constant in the range of interest....

• Being "well seen" by the camera is not particularly relevant.

Yes. We know that from black body characteristics, and this was known before QM, so we do not know it "based on Quantum Mechanics," it would be more true that QM was based on the black body problem.

Dear Abdul,
    this two phrases demonstrate that your field is probably Grammar or Literature, but not Science or Engineering.
    Not a problem Writers and Journalist are nice people. I will try to explain some concepts with simple words.
    First :
    How much signal you receive on a detector IS relevant ! If the received signal is low because the detector is not "tuned" to receive it the experimenter risk to collect more noise ( random signals ) then significant data. This make the measure impossible. In technical wording is called Signal to Noise ratio and for some details look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio.

Also. Before QM BB radiation was known only as an experimental fact with ( almost ) no explanation. Is just after QM that we really KNOW a complete physical explanation of that phenomenon and so we also know that there will never be a material with better emissivity !

If you need a more detailed explanation please ask.

• The math is simplified by translation after normalization to black body equivalents.
    Minor slope adjustments may be made relative to a central wavelength if precision is required, but at least the black body Planck curves and segments thereof will be quasi-parallel.

This is pseudo-skeptic style argument. You cast FUD on some result that you wish were not true without any evidence to back up your claims.

Close. I was looking for an application data sheet, I didn't find one readily available on-line.

To terminate the Empire IH anti Rossi FUD I directly asked Optris about their Camera.., something a serious scientist should have done prior writing MBytes of ...

As I said last time, Optris is averaging photons und thus the resulting “N” is 3! (see Optris Table below)

Not 1.2, not 2 not 2.2... But also not close to 4 as I expected for high T's. It's time to adjust some calculations...

• Thank you for the explanation, Mr. Lomax, but I still doubt that the emissivity which has to be insert in the IR camera could be the spectral one. So you are telling me that the user should insert... what.....the mean spectral emissivity in the camera’s sensitivity range? For alumina this mean value is the same for the range 7.5 - 12 μm and the range 7.5 - 13 μm, so it seems to me that this can not be the right choice. Maybe the user should insert the function ε(λ) in the IR camera, but I think that Optris camera let you insert just a number (not a function) for the emissivity value. So I wonder how you could use the spectral emissivity when this value is not constant in the range of interest....

"Spectral emissivity," in these discussions, means the emissivity as read by the camera due to radatiation in the detection band. The camera sensitivity is not necessarily flat; so "emissivity" here is not some abstract calculation, it is measured by using the camera with the object at a known temperature. This will then allow the camera to accurately read *that temperature*. Because emissivity varies with temperature, a full calibration will cover the full range.

Strictly speaking, the camera needs, not exactly emissivity, but the combined effect of object emissivity and the camera detection characteristics. It's a single number for a single object temperature. All this real complexity was missed by the Lugano researchers, who did not understand how to use the camera. The emissivity to use is determined through calibration, and the user guide explains how to do this. It happens that a simple way to describe this is as "spectral emissivity," but the actual practice is not abstract at all.

It appears that SSC is looking at a chart, but is that a chart for the exact same material? Further an emissivity chart does not tell you the net band emissivity, which is what is needed.

Surface characteristics matter, for example. I described one of the calibration methods, drilling a hole to create a black body radiator. For that, the camera can be set at emissivity 1, and the correct temperature would be read. Then the material adjacent to the hole would be imaged, and the emissivity set to give the same temperature. That would calibrate. It appears to me that the camera cannot be used to create an accurate temperature map, but it could create data that could be used to calculate such a map, otherwise the only accurate temperature reading would be for an area that was at the calibration temperature from which the emissivity was derived. Others, though, might be close, it could give a general idea.

And the entire exercise was unnecessary. It was not actually necessary to determine the device temperature to measure power. Rather, the camera could have been set at any emissivity, as long as it was consistent, and then used to view the device with known power input. Generally, if, later, the image shows the same IR intensity as the calibration, the device would be at that input power.

But something prevented them from doing a full power calibration. What stopped them is a question of interest! We know what they wrote in the paper, but it makes no sense.

The analysis here has mostly been attempting to recover information present in the Lugano Report to infer possible temperature and power dissipation. It is not possible to do this precisely, but MFMP has some attempted calibrations with similar material.

• Paradigmnoia wrote:

THHuxley wrote:

Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Since Wyttenbach quoted me out of context, this was about an "application data sheet" for the micro-bolometer array. This was only about verifying the readout method as being an array scan rather than the CCD bucket brigade approach claimed by Wyttenbach. It has nothing to do with the camera calculations, but was only pointed out as an example of continued confusion on Wyttenbach's part.

To terminate the Empire IH anti Rossi FUD I directly asked Optris about their Camera.., something a serious scientist should have done prior writing MBytes of ...

It appears that what Optris provided is irrelevant to the core discussion here. It is about the internal calculation process, assuming a black body. I will describe the chart provided below, since Wyttenbach seems unable to understand what is in front of him and how it relates to the issues. And the cause of that is plain. The problem is not intelligence, per se, the problem is a mind dominated by emotional reactivity; this is normal human behavior in many contexts. When the amygdala takes over, the vast association engine of the cerebral cortex is turned entirely to the service of survival, including maintaining being "right." So the available evidence is cherry-picked and not actually weighed. Learning to live powerfully and to be effective in the world, it is necessary to identify these survival reactions and detach. That does not mean rejecting the ideas behind them. "Just because you are paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you." Essentially, being right, should that be the case, is irrelevant, because one becomes unable, as long as the reactions are in place, to assess and consider in a deep way what is possible and what may not be. "Possible" becomes entirely focused on what might be wrong, instead of discovering paths forward.

When one does research with a preset goal, one gets what Wyttenbach has been repeatedly demonstrating. "To terminate the Empire IH anti Rossi FUD" is such a goal. A skeptical exploration of what one considers FUD would not necessarily have that effect. If there is an "Empire IH," who are its subjects? Anyone who points out the errors of Rossi or the Lugano professors? Is it "anti-Rossi" to point to inconvenient fact?

To someone emotionally engaged, it is. And thus we get factional division that is essentially divorced from reality, which is not on one side or another. Reality doesn't have sides.

As I said last time, Optris is averaging photons und thus the resulting “N” is 3! (see Optris Table below)

Well, that is not quite what Wyttenbach said before. He said "counting photons." All radiative heat transfer effectively averages photons. But individual photons are not being measured here, as they would be in some photon-detector methods, nor are photon energies, per se, even determined. Rather the Planck curves are shown for various temperatures. That is black body radiation. To understand Black Body radiation required the development of quantum mechanics and the consideration of the particle behavior of light. This came up in the discussion with Randombit0. The wave behavior is adequate here to use a black body curve, just not to predict that curve from fundamental principles.

"3" does not follow from the table, which is not actually a table but a graph or chart. We will look at that. Wyttenbach is so sure he is right that he is quite incautious about what he writes, leaving out necessary qualifications that might make what he writes true.

Not 1.2, not 2 not 2.2... But also not close to 4 as I expected for high T's. It's time to adjust some calculations...

Remember that Wyttenbach claimed that others were not reading the User Guide ("IR Basics") , when he insisted firmly on 4. He did not merely "expect" 4, he absolutely insisted that anything else was obvious stupid error, and continued even when the citation error was pointed out. Ah, pot, kettle, black.

Instead of reading his own cited source with more care, he insisted it was necessary to ask Optris; basically, this was due to not understanding what was in the Guide.

With reference to the chart that Wyttenbach showed:

The chart is showing, first of all, the Planck curve, i.e., the intensity of black-body radiation plotted against the wavelength of light. Three bands are shown, and then a value of n for those bands. Only integer values are shown, no precision is given. For the 7.5 to 13 micron band, n is shown as 3. Before Wytttenbach asked Optris for information, I suggested that answers depend on questions, and Wyttenbach has provided neither the question, nor the full answer. That chart covers three bands. What are those bands? What was the purpose of the chart? I would expect the lookup table in the Optris to be based on more precise data than shown, which looks like a possible theoretical justification, not an actual calibration of a specific camera. Wyttenbach probably asked about the information in Page 9 of the Optris IR Basics manual. However, the actual data in the EEPROM would not be based on that. That was merely a theoretical overall description.

Remember that the cameras are factory calibrated?

What does that refer to? It would refer to, based on black body calibration, an actual determination of the data in the EEPROM, which is, I will note, explicitly reprogrammable. EEPROMs are more expensive than their one-time programmable coutnerpart, EPROMs. That EEPROM will be unique for each camera. N = 3 will only give an approximation. Once the camera is calibrated, the Optris IR Basics document describes how to calibrate, using a calibrated camera. One method involves creating a small black body by drilling a hole in the material. Because the camera has been calibrated to accurately read the temperature of a black body, this will show the temperature of the material, which can then be used to determine emissivity for adjacent material. This could suffer from the non-opacity of alumina, though.

For careful scientific work, multiple measures of temperature should be used, where possible. MFMP used three measures, in the work covered by the recent paper, I will look at that.

• It appears that what Optris provided is irrelevant to the core discussion here.

@Abd: Come down the tree and live in peace! It's hard to be confronted with facts: Arguing with wiki knowledge sometimes fails...

The bands in the above picture are the three measurement windows of the three different sensors Optris is providing. The trick they employ, is to make a good average, so that the emissivity comes in as a linear term. Thus the formula holds (within a certain +- band) for all cameras, that's the way they are calibrated.

From the formula in the manual you can easily derive, that for a high emissivity and high Temperature a "+ deviation" is more likely!

• Had the researchers at Lugano released the raw data, it would have been much easier to figure all of this out.

It is possible that they are under an NDA. If so, it was not disclosed (and NDAs often prohibit disclosure of the fact of the NDA). This could severely compromise their integrity as independent evaluators, as had been presented. The stonewalling of critique sealed this, and non-disclosure of data would be consistent with it. The Lugano report is almost useless, as a result, and to some extent, this may be unrecoverable. MFMP has constructed and tested a Lugano simulation, which provides some information; however, this, itself, depends on certain assumptions. Calibration could have been done, on-site, with the original alumina reactor, all that was needed was to empty the fuel tube and re-power it up carefully.

This thread was started based on the E-Catworld post of "Rainer Rander." http://www.e-catworld.com/2016…ano-report-rainer-rander/

I find it now enlightening to review that post, and an update added later, following this.

• @Wyttenbach,
    It looks like that diagram completely agrees with what I have been saying.

I did not get an answer from Optris to my questions. Just a sales representative was referred to me instead. Nice of them to get back to you.

(Watts Up has also not replied to my questions about triac waveform measurements).

• For careful scientific work, multiple measures of temperature should be used, where possible. MFMP used three measures, in the work covered by the recent paper, I will look at that.

While this is [mostly] true, MFMP's analysis did not use any of these temperatures to compute the emitted heat - the heat was not calculated. Based on MFMP replica Optris data processed in exactly the same way as the Lugano researchers, the "thermal states" of the MFMP replica and the active Lugano device were matched. Then the Lugano heat was ascertained as the electrical heat input into the MFMP replica to obtain that identical thermal state as the active Lugano device.

There were actually 4 measures of temperature: b-type thermocouple close to the root of the ridges, k-type thermocouple contacting higher on the ridges, the Wilkinson pyrometer measuring peak temperature near the root, and the Optris camera reporting average temperature. Of those measurements, only the Optris relied on a single-value emissivity parameter. MFMP found that a single-value emissivity parameter of about 0.90 entered into the Optris best correlated with the other measurements. However, this was only used to re-assess the Lugano device surface temperature - IT WAS NOT USED TO CALCULATE HEAT!

• Very interesting about the possible "excess input" for the Lugano dummy. Do you think that 165W would fit the curve for dummy input without much messing around with the extrapolation, rather than 190 W?

I am sorry, Paradigmnoia, but I don't understand your question. The 190.6W is and interpolation, not an extrapolation. It is MFMP's best estimate of the power required to match the thermal state reported in the Lugano report for their dummy run. I don't understand where your 165W number comes from.

• I do not find this a clear statement, but there are typos. In any case, I'm done.

• @Wyttenbach,

That diagram is a lousy way to estimate what you need, although it is illustrative of the fact that n varies.

The problem is that as even from that diagram you can clearly see, n varies with temperature.

Take the "n=3" position, at 10um.

Look at the 10,000K, 3000K and 1000K lines as the intersect lambda=10um.

These are (eyeballing, very approx):

3,000 2000
    1000 400
    300 10

The ratios are clearly different: with a larger log axis gap from 3000 to 1000 than from 10000 to 3000. and an enormous gap from 1000 to 300.

Therefore the TRUE value of n must also vary (a lot) from this approximation.

So what does Optris do? If they use n=3 for this sensor at all temperatures (very possible) that will, as Paradigmnoia tells you, be the first guess transformation which is then modified by a linear piecewise approximation stored in a lookup table.

The actual value of n at 800C you know: if not too scared this will disconfirm your bias you can to find it out yourself from a web calculator. Or you can estimate it from this graph but that is difficult because you can see the value varies a lot either side of 1000 and there are not extra lines.

But - you can check the graph, and add extra points, using a web calculator!

you can role your own graphs (identical to optris, but with more temepratures: HERE)

or find exact 10um values for radiance/um. Let's go; the same values as before, done exactly:

3000K 1935 W/m^2umsr
    1000K 370 W/m^2umsr
    300K 9.9 W/m^2umsr

And the ones that matter:
    1073K 421 W/m^2umsr
    1673K 873 W/m^2umsr

ratio:
    T(K): 1.56
    Power: 2.07

so defining n (as you do) to be the power law relationship between T and Power we have 1.56^n = 2.07 or n = 1.6

This is not rocket science: but it does require the ability to analyse facts in front of you without prejudice.

I have to say that your contribution to this thread - however well motivated - has the affect of casting FUD over relatively straightforward - though not completely simple - maths that we worked out a long time ago and that has passed repeated scrutiny ever since.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.