Alan Fletcher Member
  • Member since May 27th 2016
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Fletcher

[ Forum-beginner -- 'quote' doesn't open a response ]

Everything I'm analyzing is ' Rossi said' ... but I'm concentrating on whether 'Rossi-said' is consistent with his being truthful. So far, yes it is.

Thomas Clarke wrote:Alan wrote:
    In short : the information given by Rossi is consistent with 1MW output, but doesn't prove it.

I agree. But there is another issue here. The information given by Rossi shows already that it will be almost impossible to prove that his device is not a straight electric heater, because wetness of steam is tricky to be sure about from single temperature point measurements, and Rossi discounts all evidence except the heat of vaporisation.

----

Remember that Rossi said (this thread title) that the output steam is superheated. Omitting the energy to raise the inlet water to boiling point, and to super-heat it is conservative.

For the 1 bar case, 68KWh raises the water from 60C to boiling, 7KWh raises it from dry to superheated.

- - - -

Abd> A humidity meter was used to "measure steam quality," a face-palm error, showing how those involved with these measurements were inexperienced.

That wasn't Rossi ... that was an invited expert at the very first eCat demo, from the Bolgna team led by Levi. Rossi said they could bring ANY instrument : only a spectrographic radiometer was disallowed. (Actually, the radiation burst at the start of that test is the best independent evidence we have that the eCat is real).

Abd> This is the meaning of what Rossi claimed, that the steam was "superheated." However, superheated steam can exist above liquid water, and will not rapidly transfer its heat to the water (only to floating droplets). That is, if the temperature is measured in the vapor above, it could be substantially hotter than liquid below. So one might measure the temperature in a well, a trap, where liquid water would clearly fill the bottom. I have seen no sign this was ever done. One also needs a pressure measurement, because the boiling point of water increases with pressure.

"Saturated" steam is 100% dry. No water droplets. Likewise for Super-heated. The transfer from the steam components to water drops is quite efficient (controlled by surface tension, but they won't last long). Also, Rossi has said that the superheater stage is separate from the boiler.

As before : until we have the ERV report on the instrumentation and measurements (signed off by Rossi and IH) we can only evaluate direct Rossi (inlet temp,flow,saturated) and IH (none) specific statements.

At THAT point we can consider :

a) ERV report of COP 50 is correct (and conservative)
    b) ERV report is invalid (eg pressure not recorded -- if superheated, steam quality is not an issue)
    c) ERV report is fraudulent

[ edit : typo only ]

Hi folks .. I'm mostly active on vortex -- and have extensively analyzed the ecat at http://lenr.qumbu.com

My earlier analysis of steam quality (mostly for the original and fatcat ecats) is at http://lenr.qumbu.com/rossi_ecat_steam_frames_v410H.php

In particular, I developed a steam quality calculator : http://lenr.qumbu.com/ecatcalc.php?plot=Plot&ever=d&efzx0=0&efzy0=0&efzx9=9&efzy9=9&esl=1&epbr=1&enm=1MW+36m%5E3++60C+inlet+1+bar&edh=0&edm=0&eds=1&eif=0.41&eip=1000&ecp=0&eop=1000&eoxr=1&et0=20&ep0=1&et1=60&ep2=1&er2=2

This is set to the water throughput 36m^3 per day, 60C inlet temperature, as Mats Lewan reported in his interview with Rossi. Unfortunately the internal pressure and steam quality were not reported. I set the pressure to 1 bar.

Rossi has subsequently said (as per the title of this thread) that the steam WAS superheated ... although this would not give optimal heat transfer.

In short : the information given by Rossi is consistent with 1MW output, but doesn't prove it.
    (In another post I showed that venting 1MW requires a 30K CFM fan, and that the 50-inch roof fan is large enough to accomodate this).

With respect to IH and the contract? They signed a contract which says that if the ERV signs off on guaranteed performance (which merely says greater than 100C output, with no mention of steam quality), they pay -- with no options for reviewing his report. That's nuts.

Bottom line : I think it's likely that Rossi does have what he says he has. I have seen NO evidence that shows conclusively that he does not.

We'll just have to wait for IH's response (which might just say "we dispute this" to every one of Rossi's accusations.) After that's filed there will be a mandatory settlement conference ... then followed by disclosure and depostions that we might or might not see.