oystla Member
  • Member since Apr 19th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by oystla

Thomas, a few comments on your suggestions:
    "(1) Rossi has decided (possibly been told by [lexicon]IH[/lexicon] - but maybe the timescale does not fit) he has to do this long-term test."

Comment: it's very Normal to perform a long qualification test. This is according to normal technology development.

He is now at TRL7 I would say heading towards TRL8 according to

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_readiness_level

"(2) Rossi is not doing it to make money, but to convince funders who will then give him a lot of money, and ECW believers who make a great fan club."

Rossi is 66 years old this year, I can think of much better ways to spend the later part of life than inside a container... Normally scams work best by Quick in - Quick out.....

"(3) He does not lose money on this test - since the electricity he uses will all be paid by the customer."

Comment: actually it may be Rossi pays for the electricity and sells the hot water to the customer. and what about the customer? the whole idea here is for the customer to save money. A real customer would Expect to save some money buying the hot water from Rossi. Using electricity to heat water is both stupid and expensive, when there are much cheaper alternatives for the Industry.

Which means Rossi must sell the heating medium to the customer to much lower price than the alternative Cheap heating options.

"A few options:

(a) Rossi believes his device will work enough (though he knows it does not always work) - that is "denial light".
    "

Comment : Yes an option.

"(b) he knows it will not work but reckons he can spoof the results enough to satisfy people."

Comment: But again, a scam normally works best by "fast in - fast out". Don't see how he now can get out of this as a rich man If it's a scam and avoid jail....

"(c) he reckons it will not work but the 12 month delay is welcome - by the end of that he will have all the funding he needs in place and who cares if the test fails? Even if no funding he will have some distraction set up, like ecat-x - to continue the show."

Comment: only if the funders let him continue. Professionals like [lexicon]IH[/lexicon] have bullet proof contracts that will hold Rossi responsible of misconduct.....

He can only "continue the show" If he have someone interested in further funding.

Myself I'm totally confident that Rossi believes LENR is real and achievable at Industrial scale.

So If it is not real he is living an illusion. But I would think both the Customer and [lexicon]IH[/lexicon] would have enough insight to check, measure and calculate the COP during the last year in operation. If the average is COP=1 or less and it's all a failure, I'm sure we will hear about it soon enough, since the testperiod is over in Feb/Mar.

I believe the secret to Rossi and most LENR is the trigger mechanism. You need more than pure heat to get it going. Some experiments may have a trigger mechanism that initiates the reaction but the experimenters Are not aware off it, and therefore have troubles replicating their own experiments.

A note how Focardi triggered his Ni cells (long before Rossi):

"After several loading cycles, the sample was ready and it was possible to trigger the exothermic process. Such an operation can be performed by lowering the input power, waiting for the sample temperature to decrease down to about 300 K, then suddenly restoring the previous power level. After this operation an increased equilibrium temperature, as shown in fig. 4, is obtained: the cell is producing an excess heat. Another way to trigger the process is to provoke a pressure step-like variation, as shown in fig. 5. After the triggering procedure, the production of excess heat is maintained for months ."

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/FocardiSlargeexces.pdf

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/l…nomalousHeatEffects-w.pdf

Or from the Piantelli patents:
    "........impulsive trigger action consists of supplying an energy pulse"

".....trigger means (61 ,62,67) for creating an impulsive action (140) on said active core (18), said impulsively action (140) suitable for causing......"

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/claims?CC=EP&NR=2702593A1&KC=A1&FT=D&ND=&date=20140305&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

".........an impulsive application of a package of electromagnetic fields, in particular said fields selected from the group comprised of: a radiofrequency pulse whose frequency is larger than 1 kHz; X rays; v rays; an electrostriction impulse that is generated by an impulsive electric current that flows through an electrostrictive portion of said active core...."

"- an electric voltage impulse that is applied between two points of a piezoelectric portion of said active core; an impulsive magnetostriction that is generated by a magnetic field pulse along said active core which has a magnetostrictive portion."

"Such impulsive triggering action generates lattice vibrations, i.e. phonons..."

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/description?CC=WO&NR=2010058288A1&KC=A1&FT=D&ND=3&date=20100527&DB=worldwide.espacenet.com&locale=en_EP

And triggering of the Brillouin reactor: electrical stimulation Of the core

Ref. Mckubre stated on Brillouin: "The fact that the Q pulse input is capable of triggering the excess power on and off is also highly significant.”

And The extremely well written and objective history lesson in Cold Fusion by Charles G. Beaudette (2002) - "Excess Heat: Why Cold Fusion Research Prevailed" may be downloaded here:

http://iccf9.global.tsinghua.edu.cn/lenr home page/acrobat/BeaudetteCexcessheat.pdf

"An investigative report prepared for the general reader to explain how the most extraordinary claim made in the basic sciences during the twentieth century was mistakenly dismissed through errors of scientific protocol."

Thomas, Wrt your statements;

"That is a precise analogy for LENR. Scientists accept the evidence - for example anomalous heat from open cell calorimetry that goes away for closed cells."

Goes away? F&P used (early on at least) open cells. Mckubre at SRI replicated experiments using closed cells, and confirmed the F&P results. They also identifed the requirement for high D/Pd loading.

"What will help is taking individual items of evidence and looking honestly to see what they prove."

Yes of course, but you also need a level of Scientific understanding to be able to "honestly" interpret the results.

Like using CR39, which have been used since late 70's by mainstream science, and when used in LENR research it is suddenly no longer trustable? - but can be "affected by anything" as you once said.

Or understanding the fundamentals of calorimetry, which we seemed not to agree upon. I trust the formulas: If you know the data and parameters of the external border of a "black box" you don't need to worry what happens inside the box to calculate the heat flow. Really not!

"It is easy for me to say the results are unsafe, because of possible errors which I can list."

And as I have noted earlier The problems with your list of possible errors are:
    - they are just not possible and/ or
    - they would If true have no Significant impact on result and/or
    - they have no relevance to the experiment in question and / or
    - indicates a misunderstanding of what the experiment are doing and /or
    Etc.

Time for a part of a story from Dr. Francesco Scaramuzzi, an Italian mathematician and physicist, that was involved in Cold Fusion research at ENEA since the start in 1989
    ".....A well known physicist was asked what he thought of CF. His answer was that it was not good science, because of the lack of reproducible experiments. I wrote to him, presenting the following arguments:

a) I agree that reproducibility is a "must" in experimental research;

b) however, a new field, at its beginning, is often characterized by lack of reproducibility, and it is the task of the scientists operating in that field to understand what is going on, in order to pursue reproducibility;

c) this has been done in the case of CF, making meaningful, even though slow, progress (I sent him a paper of mine2 in which I had discussed this problem).

My letter did not produce any effect, in the sense that he did not change his mind, and went on demanding reproducibility, as if it were an intrinsic characteristics of research and not something that has to be pursued.
    In order to clarify the issue, let me try to propose a few statements about reproducibility. First, what does it mean? Consider a simple desk-top experiment. When you perform it, you choose your sample, you work out a procedure (a protocol), and you get your results. It is reproducible if you obtain the same results with the same kind of sample and the same protocol every time you perform your experiment. A further stage of reproducibility consists in describing your experiment in a scientific publication, with the consequence that any other scientist who performs the same experiment, on the basis of that paper, obtains the same results. Now imagine that you perform your experiment, take note as accurately as you can of its parameters (sample and protocol) and when you repeat it you do not get the same results: the experiment is not reproducible! There are two possible explanations: either the first experiment was wrong, or you did not have the same kind of sample, or follow the same protocol. If, by examining your first experiment, you reach the conclusion that the measurement itself was correct and reliable, you have to accept the second explanation. At this point you start a further stage of your research: you try to understand which features were hidden in the choice of the sample and in the protocol, that could have influenced your results without your being aware, and thus you begin what may be a difficult march towards reproducibility. It is not correct to state, as many have done for CF, that non-reproducibility necessarily means a wrong experiment.

An episode that I will now describe will help to illustrate my previous statements: it occurred in 1992 to the ENEA Group of Frascati, which I was leading. We had been working on CF experiments based on gas loading of deuterium in titanium, looking for neutrons and tritium, and eventually we had reached the conclusion that we should move to a different type of experiment: the measurement of excess heat in palladium charged with deuterium in an electrolytic cell with heavy water (substantially the Fleischmann-Pons experiment). In order to build the cathodes, we took the only palladium sheet that was at hand in the laboratory, constructed the electrolytic cell and put it in an accurate calorimeter, and performed the experiment: the first three runs, with three different cathodes taken from the same sheet, and with the same protocol, gave very clear evidence of excess heat production: a couple of orders of magnitude larger than the experimental errors.3 At this point, we had used all the palladium existing in the laboratory, and thus we ordered more of it from the same firm that had provided the previous sample, asking for the same commercial characteristics. When the new palladium arrived, we started another series of experiments, none of which gave any sign of excess heat production. So, there we were: we had no doubt about the correctness of the first measurements, but it had been sufficient to change the sample of palladium for the excess heat to disappear, even though, from a commercial point of view, it was the same kind of palladium. This was the beginning of the project that brought the Group to results quite close to total reproducibility in 1996. I will come back to this subject later.

...."

from: http://www.enea.it/en/publicat…pdf/Cold_Fusion_Italy.pdf

Physicsdog, You could try to send a request for demonstration to Brulliouin...

May be presenting yourself as a potensial investor.. ;)

"Results from all of Brillouin Energy’s experimental tests run at its facilities to date, are available for review under customary NDAs to current and prospective investors, original equipment manufacturers, licensees, strategic partners and engineering representa"

http://brillouinenergy.com/science/experimental-results/

"Physics will allways ask for theory first, then repeatabil experiements that confirms theory. Something that don't conform to theory can't be, since all physists knows theory rules over nature, not the other way around (haha)."

Oystla - such statements are dangerous - you know very well I can prove you wrong.(1) HTSC - definite experimental evidence, enthusiastically embraced by scientists, although there was at the time no theory for how it could exist. Discovered 1986, Nobel Prize 1987.(2) Dark energy. From observation, unexpected, generally agreed, still no theoryDo I need more?Cold Fusion/LENR is not accepected generally because:(1) the evidence is so weak(2) people have been collecting evidence for 25 years - if it were true you'd expect stronger evidence by now(3) when you look at the (weak) evidence it is incoherent. Returning to the same experiment with better instrumentation does not, as would be expected, lead to definite results.

Well Thomas, i think you missed my point and the whole point of the Cold Fusion history. It seems you never have read anyhing of the historic Events of CF...

And the point was discoveries which are hard to replicate and at the same time seems to contradict theory, not like HTSC or expansion of the Universe....

( by the way the latest finding on Dark Energy is consistent with Einstein's explanation for what dark energy is, Einstein's "cosmological constant" idea, which he called his biggest blunder and later rejected, turned out to be the same thing that scientist now see as the repulsive form of gravity called dark energy. )

A much better example of these hard-to-replicate and hard-to-explain phenomenons may be antimatter generated in out own atmosphere in thunderstorms ....or ball lightning.

Until the 1960s, most scientists argued that ball lightning was not a real phenomenon but an urban myth, despite numerous reports throughout the world. Laboratory experiments can produce effects that are visually similar to reports of ball lightning, but whether these are related to the natural phenomenon remains unclear.

Many scientific hypotheses about ball lightning have been proposed over the centuries. Scientific data on natural ball lightning are scarce, owing to its infrequency and unpredictability. The presumption of its existence is based on reported public sightings, and has therefore produced somewhat inconsistent findings. Given inconsistencies and lack of reliable data, the true nature of ball lightning is still unknown. The first ever optical spectrum of what appears to have been a ball lightning event was published in January 2014 and included a video at high frame rate.

So here you have a phenomen that have been described and observed in nature for centuries, but was considered by science a non believable UFO phenomenon until recently

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/03/20/2194630.htm?site=science&topic=latest

https://www.newscientist.com/a…probed-for-the-first-time

But physisists struggles with the phenomenon since they need a theory to be tested in Laboratory that replicates the phenomenon

Cold Fusion/LENR is not accepected generally because:
    1. It is not considered part of science, since 1989. Therefore Mainstream physisists are unwilling to investigate the field, which is compared to being interested in UFO's
    2. Mainstream physisists that may be interested in CF research would not get funding from their Institute, since it is discredited field, like hunting UFO's
    3. No consensus on theory result in no guidance from theory and No clear protocol that secures repeatable success....
    4. Lack of funding results in slow progress wrt indentifying the correct theory of cold fusion, and few researchers interested makes the rest loos interest. "Follow the pack"

Mr Russel:

When discussing "tipping point" I assume you are asking If the Scientific environment will open up and more openly start discussing LENR.

Contrary to what some believe, the Scientific community, and especially the physics community put cold fusion research in the same category as UFO belief after the Baltimore meeting in may 1989. And of course no physisist that have any career ambitions would ever show interest in UFO's and do research in UFO observations.

Even the BARC Institute in India stopped their cold fusion research in 1994 because of what they stated was "global Peer pressure".
    Ref. http://www.business-standard.c…india-115053000437_1.html

So are we at a Scientific "tipping point"?

In my opinion no, far from it.

Physics will allways ask for theory first, then repeatabil experiements that confirms theory. Something that don't conform to theory can't be, since all physists knows theory rules over nature, not the other way around (haha).

Commercial products seems much closer to reality, than any change of Scientific opinions. Therefore The majority of the physics community will not change their view before real LENR based reactors have been implemented by Industry as commercialized products and proven to work...

If that means E-cats or Brilliouin reactors or NANOR devices only time will tell.

Rossi just said no Seebeck effect is used....

so he have stated
    - power is harvested directly from the wafer (?)
    - the wafer is generating DC current ( WTF ?)
    - the currents are collected "externaly"

well I'm confused. And Rossi is a master confusor :crazy:

Seems I am wrong yes :)

Rossi just said he collects el. Currents externaly as DC current. That could mean using the Seebeck effect, but that technology does not have very high efficiency, rather low.....If not something new have been developped....

So Rossi states he taps electricity directly from the core.

My hypothesis Of what's happening :

1. We know from other research that LENR may produce electromagnetic alternating fields.
    2. The steel layers where introduced in the Wafers for efficient heat transfer from core (according to patent)
    3. But steel also conducts electricity, so the LENR wafer layer will induce el. currents in the steel layers (from point 1)
    4. Rossi knowing about LENR producing electromagnetic fields connected wires to the various steel layers and hooked up an oscilloscope to analyse If something interesting was going on.
    5. Rossi then noticed that the steel layers have HF AC voltage between each layer.
    6. Rossi hooked up fast acting diodes and is able to collect rectified DC currents from the HF AC fields from the steel layers. The DC currents will have varying DC voltage, but this may be adjusted to specific DC voltage with the right elctronics.

I'm pretty confident I'm right :) , that is If Rossi is not pulling a huge practical joke ;)

Thomas,

I Wonder If we have read same paper.

My numbers of excess energy is 0,8 KWhr, With an error bound of +/- 0,2 KWhr

Now then. You state they have not considered all possible chemical effects, nor included "non-Ni" atoms.

So let's include all possible atoms in the core, which was ten grams of matter. This means the excess heat was 80 WattHrs pr gram matter.

This is 0,29 MJ/gram matter. In comparison diesel have energy content of 0,05 MJ/gram.

So the Japanese paper indicates an energy content of 6 times more than chemical possibilities If all matter in core where replaced by an energy dense chemical fuel.

And your comment on dynamic energy is of no Value, since this is not concerning the period of excess heat, but the period of ad- / absorption. It's a part only evaluating If the phenomenon is a surface phenomenon or not.

And estimating error bars in experiments is basic science that these scientists knows everything about.

Your way of critizising the Japanese researchers estimation of error bars is just a polite way of calling these scientists completely imcompetent. It does not serve your case well.

Using spesific heat data to correct calibration for the convection part Is not uncommon, and rather accurate, if you have any knowledge of the subject. Anyhow; convection part is a very small part of the heat exchange from core. Conduction and radiation for core material will be much larger.

Your comment on vacuum chamber (your p.b) is clearly wrong, and indicates a lack of understanding heat exchange.

Recalibration is not mentioned, so you cant conclude it was not done. Anyhow, recalibration rarely result in Significant changes.

I think I need to repeat my last posting

"
    But back to basic physics:

Have another look at formulas for conduction, convection and radiation.

The energy transfer from a box of any shape and to the surroundings does NOT depend on what occurs inside the box or how many chambers and walls there are inside.

It depends on the exterior surface geometry, wall boundary parameters and exterior surface temperature only. So your long Tedius descriptions of possible internal complications are of no Value.

And then for your questions on the Japanese paper,

1. Yes the error bound for calorimetry can be calculated:
    The paper states "The accuracy of excess heat-power level is estimated to be good with error bar of less than ±0.5 W."

And knowing Nickel content in the CNZ samples was 2,07 grams, you may be able to calculate the error bound /gram yourself.

Wrt error bound pr. Atom, I have calculated the number for you, and it is 211,6 eV pr. Nickel atom. So the excess heat result was 800 eV/Ni atom +/- 211 eV/Ni atom. A lower level of excess heat of 600 eV/atom is still far beyond chemical posibilities.

Again: chemical reactions are just a few eV pr. Atom.

And yes, For the 0,5 watt number as excess power error bound I trust their competency. Calculations Error bounds are basic science and no "hokus pokus".

2. Chemical energy: This have been discussed in many papers. To have a full understanding you Will have to read all the Japnese related papers from when they started with this system back in 2008 until today.

3. "Dynamic measurements": as I read the paper these measurements will give some indications If the reactions are occuring on surface of particles or inside the lattice. And as paper states the indications are that these occurs on surface. Just as concluded on wet Palladium /D systems after years of research.

"

Anyhow : The Japanese are planning new tests with ten times larger test chamber. Let's wait and see new results then ;)

Dear Thomas,

You surprises me again by long answers without much "meat" and without telling If you agree with me or not.

And i see you have fun with inventing possible artifacts, like as If "mechanical creep" would have any Significant impact on the Focardi excess power levels.

But back to basic physics:

Have another look at formulas for conduction, convection and radiation.

The energy transfer from a box of any shape and to the surroundings does NOT depend on what occurs inside the box or how many chambers and walls there are inside.

It depends on the exterior surface geometry, wall boundary parameters and exterior surface temperature only. So your long Tedius descriptions of possible internal complications are of no Value.

And then for your questions on the Japanese paper,

1. Yes the error bound for calorimetry can be calculated:
    The paper states "The accuracy of excess heat-power level is estimated to be good with error bar of less than ±0.5 W."

And knowing Nickel content in the CNZ samples was 2,07 grams, you may be able to calculate the error bound /gram yourself.

Wrt error bound pr. Atom, I have calculated the number for you, and it is 211,6 eV pr. Nickel atom. So the excess heat result was 800 eV/Ni atom +/- 211 eV/Ni atom. A lower level of excess heat of 600 eV/atom is still far beyond chemical posibilities.

Again: chemical reactions are just a few eV pr. Atom.

And yes, For the 0,5 watt number as excess power error bound I trust their competency. Calculations Error bounds are basic science and no "hokus pokus".

2. Chemical energy: This have been discussed in many papers. To have a full understanding you Will have to read all the Japnese related papers from when they started with this system back in 2008 until today.

3. "Dynamic measurements": as I read the paper these measurements will give some indications If the reactions are occuring on surface of particles or inside the lattice. And as paper states the indications are that these occurs on surface. Just as concluded on wet Palladium /D systems after years of research.

And now I'm off for a day or two to calm down with some yoga ;)

Thomas, there is no point in further debate If we cant even agree om the basic basic science of heat exchange.

You did not reply to my comment, because you agree may be?

"
    Thomas, your last post surprises me, did you think it through ?

If you have a box, pipe or whatever container and measure the outer wall temperature, the heat flow is governed by the temperature difference between outer wall temperature and surroundings by conduction, convection and radiation to the surroundings.

It does not matter how the internals look like, number of walls, chambers, heaters etc.

An even outer wall temperature will therefore have a certain heat flow to the surroundings by conduction,convection and radiation.

Therefore a calibration curve will work of outer wall temperature vs internal power.

And therefore it does not matter If the heat arrives to outer wall from the electrical heater or from the inner core as LENR heat.
    "

Thomas, your last post surprises me, did you think it through ;) ?

If you have a box, pipe or whatever container and measure the outer wall temperature, the heat flow is governed by the temperature difference between outer wall temperature and surroundings by conduction, convection and radiation to the surroundings.

It does not matter how the internals look like, number of walls, chambers, heaters etc.

An even outer wall temperature will therefore have a certain heat flow to the surroundings by conduction,convection and radiation. Therefore a calibration curve will work of outer wall temperature vs internal power.

And therefore it does not matter If the heat arrives to outer wall from the electrical heater or from the inner core as LENR heat.

"Thermometers register temperature, not heat, total or otherwise."

Yes, of course I meant temperature, heat was an inaccurate Word here. Very important to use the right words, especially related to controversial subjects ;)

"A temperature at a fixed location may *relate* to heat flow but the relationship is never iron-clad and depends on variables which may not be under adequate control."

Yes, and The most important variables in this case would be room temperature and convective air flows.

Room temperature where continously monitored. Small variations of convective air flow would not have important impact at these power levels and duration of test.

Heat calibration curve between power input and temperature will therefore give an accurate relationship between temperature and energy heat flow.

And here is another Christmas gift of a LENR paper on Ni-H with large excess heat:

I think now that Ni-H is a possible better LENR system than the wet Palladium - deuterium system. It's a pitty F&P did not pursue Ni-H, since they actually did include Nickel in their patent from 1989.

The Authors of the last paper I've read where professor Focardi, Gabbani, Montalbano, Piantelli and Veronesi.
    Paper Title: "Large excess heat production in Ni-H systems"
    Published in the Peer reviewed Italian physics Journal "Nuovo Cimento" in 1998.

I have not found any criticism (Peer reviewed or not) of this paper. The authors also made a paper in 1994, which was critizied by physcists at CERN. CERN was not able to trigger any excess heat, they saw only excess heat during loading of hydrogen. I've read their paper and it's clear they did not try any trigger mechanism to "turn on" the Ni-H LENR, so they concluded no excess heat other than during Hydrogen absorption in lattice.

One of the remaining mysteries is what excactly is the trigger mechanism. It's more than pure heat. In the 1998 Focardi et. al paper some trigger mechanisms is mentioned.

And the Reasons why I think this paper is strong evidence of anomalous heat in Ni-H systems are:

1. Power input and excess output in the 10's of watts, not milliwatt regions, i.e. Easier to measure outside error margins
    2. Simplicity of their system. No complicated calculations or complicated calibrations required. The calibrations show what temperatures to Expect for certain input heat power, regardless If heat comes from electrical or possible LENR
    3. Two parallell cells to increase confidence of results.
    4. Thermometer registrering total heat, regardless of it's origin (heater or LENR)
    5. Small variations in room temperature would not affect the results, because of the high power regions.
    6. The long test period of excess heat (280 - 320 days), securing accuracy and confidence of results. Indicates longevity of the LENR reactions, as also later Ni-H cells have shown.
    7. Excess heat of 70 watts at less than 100 watts input. Easy to read from calibration curve - far beyond any possible calibration errors.
    8. For cell B a new calibration curve when Nickel is in "excited state" shows clearly higher temperature even for the temperature sensor placed the furthest away from the core.

There are also similarities with F&P wet cells with Palladium cathodes, that is worth noting:
    - need to load the core material with hydrogen ( Faster than F&P, may be same time span as with CO-deposition of Pd Wet cells)
    - The difference between cell A and B also indicate that this is a surface phenomenon, same as indicated for F&P wet cells with Palladium.

And how can we scale this up and get more energy? Well, why not try more surface area, i.e. Nickel Powder.....ooops someone is allready onto that one ;)

And with 900 000 KJ of excess energy you could heat 2,7 m3 of water from 10 degC to 90 degC....some serious amounts of excess energy.

Paper reference :
    http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/FocardiSlargeexces.pdf

Dear Thomas, you accuse 10+ competent scientists of not taking into account any relevant reactions between H/D and Zr in their energy calculations? Please...Well, as I read the paper including [6] and [7] they do actually take All into consideration.

The excess heat calculation is correlated to Nickel atoms If assuming LENR occurs and it's Nickel atoms that are essential for LENR, call it catalysis of LENR or whatever.

And for your ad/ab sortion critique:
    You need to read [7] to understand the calculations of H/D Events. This is not new science but fully understood mainstream, nothing magic.

So the magic is still High excess energy far beyond any possible chemical reactions.

But anyway: It will be interesting to see what the results will show with the ten times larger reactor.

Interesting from the Hagelstein paper:

"Collimated X-ray emission near 1.5 keV in Karabut’s glow discharge experiments in our view is of fundamental importance in sorting out the new physics involved in excess heat in the Fleischmann–Pons experiment. The difficulty in understanding the excess heat effect is that we are unable to observe the final products of the reaction directly as energetic particles (since there are no commensurate energetic particles present). If the large nuclear quantum is being fractionated in these experiments, we could have consistency with theory, but with no clear positive proof. On the other hand, the models indicate that it should be possible to go the other way, and upconvert a large number of low-energy vibrational quanta to produce nuclear excitation. If so, then we should be able to make it happen, observe the radiation produced, and study it systematically. Karabut’s collimated X-rays in our interpretation show that this is possible. Added support for this point of view comes from Gozzi’s collmated gamma rays, Karabut’s collimated penetrating X-rays, and the directional X-rays seen in the experiments of Kornilova, Vysotskii and co-workers.
    "