oystla Member
  • Member since Apr 19th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by oystla

Thomas,

I have many times and in may ways tried to Ask Rossi about the following in Lugano report

"The heat generating process is initiated by heat from resistor coils around the reactor tube. In addition, the resistor coils are fed with some specific electromagnetic pulses"

What are the nature and purpose of these "electromagnetic pulses", stimulation of core? Triggering initial reaction?

his answer has allways been "no comment" or "confidential" ,and recently "sorry spammed"

Which means there is some secrets he is planning to protect by IP, or can't protect because somebody has allready patented it, but are using it and don't want to talk about uit

I will come back with more details on what I think of this paper,

But the first point I would like to make is the following wrt principlea of Publishing ANY scientific papers:

On writing a Scientific papers you have to make a few choices and decitions, like;

Audience: Who will be reading your paper? Usually you will be writing to your peers. Knowing the audience helps to decide what information to include--one would write a very different article for a narrow, highly technical, disciplinary journal vs. one that went out to a broad range of disciplines.

And this paper in question is no different. It's directed to the peers inside the LENR community. Not to outsiders and "non believers".

It is published for researchers familiar with the field of research.

Any sceptics would have to go through the same learnings process as the other scientists that have been convinced after doing LENR research for years.

Like reading all the referenced papers to understand more of the communication in this specific paper.

And note, References to the research findings of others are an integral component of any research paper. To understand any Scientific papers, one most likely would have to read more of the referenced papers.

In this case, the paper have 12 referenced papers. Questions you may have after reading this paper, may well be answerred in one of the referenced ones.

And that is a usual way of writing papers. You don't necesarily repeat knowledge that your Audience allready posess.

This paper states in the first sentence of the introduction "Gas-phase hydrogen isotope absorption/adsorption experiments have been performed since 2008 at Kobe University to elucidate the underlying mechanism of anomalously large heat releases [1–5]"

Allready we are presented the context of this paper. If we want to fully understand the paper, we also would have to read the referenced papers, which the Peers in LENR research allready have done.

And this is why Thomas never will find a single paper that will convince him of LENR, since all will have som missing info he would want, but which most likely will be found in referenced papers.

Thomas, wrt "I think there is currently an emphasis on Ni-H LENR that is unhelpful. It duplicates the learning process with Pd-D LENR"

Ni-H LENR is almost as old as Pd-D LENR, discovered by Italian scientists in around 1990. But Even F&P included Ni in their patent.

yes, most of the research have been done on Pd-D, right og wrong as it may be. Pd-D may be proven to be the wrong branch of LENR,,of you'r looking for high energy yields...time will show.

How true!:
    "The models/paradigms tend to develop a life of their own to the extent that they become regarded as a form of revealed truth to which nature is expected to conform. It becomes difficult (perhaps even impossible) to ask whether deviations from any predicted behavior may not be due to the use of an incorrect paradigm? We do not ask the question; what would be the consequences of using a different paradigm? In extreme situations we see attempts "to save the paradigm" (a well-known activity) with increasingly improbable special assumptions[7]. We also see the denial of the reality of experimental observations if these cannot be fitted into the generally accepted paradigm."

Claryifying:
    "The matter rested there until the 1960's, at which time I came to realize that the Pd/H and Pd/D systems had to be modeled using Q.E.D. At that time we started a number of haphazard investigations of the Pd/H system. The question of whether one could induce nuclear reactions became more clearly-defined at the end of that decade.

Work on the isotopic separation of H and D showed that it was necessary to assume that the H and D present had to be modeled as many-body systems in order to explain the macroscopic behavior. I assembled equipment to start work on the putative nuclear processes on two occasions but each time decided that such research would be judged as being inconsistent with holding an Academic Appointment!"

On accepting a mystery:

"However, it is also important to accept and explain unusual results (provided these are at an adequately high level of statistical significance), rather than to ascribe them to unspecified errors (or to incorrect scenarios for imagined errors). One outcome of this research has been the demonstration that scientists have developed a blindness for accepting unusual results. No doubt this is due in part to an excessive faith in invalid paradigms. "

Interesting

"......We therefore had to disclose our results to the Administrative Authorities of the University of Utah, who, in turn, felt bound to apply for Patent Protection. It is important to recall that we had by that time reached specific rates of energy production roughly equal to those in gas cooled fission reactors. In turn, the Patent Applications became the driving force for future actions. "

No surprise:

" I fully expected that the majority of scientists would judge the results in terms of the application of the Q.M. paradigm to the fusion of two deuterons in a dilute plasma and would therefore conclude that our results had to be false (notable exceptions have been Schwinger, Preparata and Del Giudice, whose expertise, of course, was and is in Q.F.T. and Q.E.D.)."

"Those engaged in this critique also established the terminology of "skeptics" and "true believers" which de facto prevented any rational discussion of the results."

"Thus 1989 was a singularly unfortunate year for the disclosure of the new results: in the first place, it was the 50th anniversary of the discovery of nuclear fission, a discovery which had also been made by investigating the Chemistry involved. Furthermore, work on "Hot Fusion" was reaching a decisive stage, and further work on this topic would evidently require new funding. I had repeatedly warned that the holding of a Press Conference would create a wave of negative publicity and disinformation, matters which we were ill-equipped to counter at that stage. "

- Fleischmann, ref. http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanreflection.pdf

Thomas,

Regarding your comments to the Japanese paper:

"I'm wondering why you think it shows any nuclear excess."
    Answer:
    They proved an excess heat accumulated energy of 800 electron volts pr Ni atom or 600 eV pr hydrogen atom. In comparison for chemical energy: There are only 4-5 electron volts pr combustion of a hydrogen or Carbon atom.200 times higher energy in LENR than chemical energy.

"It has apparent endothermic and exothermic measurements of 50ev/H or D. "

Answer:
    Wrong. They measured 50-80 eV/H or D endothermic and 600-800 eV/H orD exothermic.

"......these are an anomaly and beyond what is expected chemically. Also, they are not feasible as an LENR anonaly which would perhaps explain the exothermic excess and not the endothermic."

Answer:
    Wrong. The paper even have a proposed hypothesis for the endothermic event.

From paper "One event that might be considered would be a single or plural Ni-atoms kick-out (displacement) induced by the abrupt H(D)-desorption, for we know from the radiation damage study of hot-fusion materials that metal atom displacement energy from lattice is on the order of 40 eV "

Regarding your "We therefore have a clear indication that the calorimetry here, or its interpretation, has issues. Therefore the "continuous excess heat" claims are likley to suffer the same issues and superficially look unsafe."

Answer:
    As I said before one single paper does not necesarily explain everything about an experiment. The Japanese have a separate paper om calorimetry.

So If you where less lazy and searched for more of the Japanese research you would find the following statement in another paper on.... Calorimetry ;)
    "To confirm these interesting phenomena, repeated measurements with improved signal-to-noise ratio are required. Since the easiest way to accomplish this is to increase the amount of sample material being tested, we have fabricated a reaction chamber with ten-times-larger volume than the present one. Another important improvement is mass flow calorimetry applied to the system using an oil coolant with a boiling point of 390◦C. "

Would you like to have the paper ;) ?

And wrt your
    " ....indicates some unusual chemical behaviour in these systems that might be confusing other researchers."

800 eV/atom of excess heat would mean a new energy source, call it chemical or LENR or whatever. Worthy of more research ;)

Thomas,

I doubt there are any evidence that ever will convince you of the existence LENR, or wathever name we may call it.

Like when you say that "anything" can affect results in CR39. Which is wrong. And as proven by SPAWAR, Dr. Swartz and others energetic particles is produced when LENR occurs.

But we may try again, not with CR39, but energy measurements.

Another recent paper by Japanese scientists have proven high energy yields in Nano Nickel composites loaded with hydrogen and deuterium.

They proved an excess heat accumulated energy of 800 electron volts pr Ni atom or 600 eV pr hydrogen atom.

In comparison for chemical energy: There are only 4-5 electron volts pr combustion of a hydrogen or Carbon atom.

So there you have a 200 times higher energy in LENR than chemical energy documented in this study.

Ref. Takahashi et.al, paper from 2015, Page 30+:
    http://www.iscmns.org/CMNS/JCMNS-Vol15.pdf

But there is also another Ni-H paper I'm reading now, which is fascinating. Back from the earlier days before Rossi appeared om stage. I'll come back to that one
    ;)

Mary, thank you. You gave me the laugh of the day, hehe :)

And by the way:
    "
    If someone has "the greatest invention of history" (arguable, even if LENR works), then one protects it with a PROPER patent, reduction to practice and hiring an army of attorneys. Then, one goes to major companies in major countries and licenses the technology for billions and then one leans back and enjoys.
    "

Before anyone would want to license the technology from Rossi, he would have to prove the technology.

A year of "factory acceptance test" at a customer site, is not unheard of, but very normal.

the E-cat should now be at TRL 7.( ref. DOD definition) Too early to license the technology.

ref .
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_readiness_level

and I'm sure he has more patent applications up his sleeve...

Thomas, Actually more inventors shóuld do the same ;)

Rossi said once he use his blog also to get ideas and suggestions from the readers. A clever trick, using a free workforce to improve his work, If it's all true I mean... ;)

I Wonder how many inventions Edison was behind himself (which he patented), and how many actually his workers were behind ;)

Mary, why do you keep repeating yourself? May be Contribute with something creative and useful for once?

In my view Rossi can be critisized for many things. But he is first and foremost an entrepeneur and inventor, not a scientist.

He Obviously want to be ahead of the game, and have most likely deliberately said and done things to confuse.

But as you should now know: "Nothing personal, only business"

and If I had the greatest invention of history, I would have done the same.

Thomas,

Heat pump? Haha. Sure, there you have it,..... or I got it, hehe : LENR is a Nuclear Quantum Fluctuations heat pump, hehe

It's really clear to me now: LENR connects the linear response from the ZPE field relaxation from a prepared non-equilibrium state to its statistical fluctuation properties in a linear response to one or more exponential decays of Fluctuation-dissipation of the Quantum field, meaning thermal fluctuations will be redirected when acted upon by electrical fields in response quantified by the admittance or impedance of the same physical variable... And vise versa. :)

Re. Thomas "CR-39 is a really bad way to prove phenomena are real exactly because it is so sensitive and many different artifacts and contaminations are known"

It's a good comment, when That's the best you have and don't know how to attack the evidence. CR39 have been used by mainstream science and detector Industry since the 1970's. How to read energetic particle tracks, what will affect the results and not, how to Compare with background, what are the error bounds, etc. Etc. is well known ;)

Thomas,

wrt Nickel vs Palladium

I don't think you read my earlier statement on this, so I will repeat. There is reasons to believe same phenomenon will appear in Nickel, if it occurs in Palladium.

"
    Actually F&P included Deuterated Nickel in their "CF" patent from1989.

So they had an idea that CF would work in other materials than Pd. Materials that have the ability for high Hydrogen loading. May be F&P Focused on the wrong material, and got hung up in Palladium, when Nickel was a better choice?

Anyway. Excess heat in Dry Ni-H was not discovered by Rossi, but inside University research in the early 90's.

I've found some very interesting papers, with dry Ni-H cells and more powerfull than F&P cells (it seems).

That's probably where Rossi got his idea from.

I'll come back with more info when I've read the papers."

"

I think the critics are spending way too much time on discussing Rossi, and his potential "dark" motovations. Move on with your lives ;)

All truth will to light sooner or later.

To repeat: This interview Below with professor Focardi years back, indicates that Rossi started with a sincere interest, as an inventor and entrepeneur. Rossi saw a possible commercial opportunity, based on the interesting discovery and results by Piantelli, Focardi, Celani etc. on Ni-H cells.

radiocittadelcapo.it/wp-conten…cardi-english-version.pdf

Is Rossi still convinced there is a commercial opportunity here without Fraud? Only Rossi knows and I don't care.

But I do care about the science side of LENR and that Ni-H excess heat was discovered by professor Piantelli et. al, and may be improved by Rossi...we will see soon enough.

Just to make things clear on Rossi "convictions":

"
    General Emilio Spaziante has pleaded guilty for corruption and has been sentenced to serve 4 years in prison: he is the officer of the Guardia di Finanza that closed Petroldragon and all the other factories of Rossi twenty years ago.

This fact may cast some new light on that strange affair, that finished by Rossi being convicted of tax evasion (which seems triggered by desperate tentative to escape some money from the bankruptcy caused by the pursuits) , lack of pollution permit (because a change in the laws, despite clear support of the government before and some media) , but no fraud, despite clear witch hunt in the press, with unsupported accusation.One cannot fail to notice the coincidence in historical dates between the war against Andrea Rossi, now a major player in petroleum products thanks to his research and activities with Omar and Petroldragon, and the decision on the part of Camorra organized crime to establish itself firmly in the waste management business, and achieve a monopoly on waste disposal."
    "

and read my last post on Focardi interview wrt early Rossi story. It's interesting.

"

Thomas,

I think we need to investigate the early history, to analyse and better undérstand Rossi:

I remember reading this interview with professor Focardi years back:
    http://www.radiocittadelcapo.i…cardi-english-version.pdf

This interview convinced me that Rossi started out with a sincere interest in the phenomenon, a discovery that started within Academia. Also Focardi says he thinks energy comes from fusion of hydrogen and Nickel to Copper, but now we know that is not the case (at least not the main reaction)...,

Is Rossi still convinced there is a commercial opportunity here without Fraud? Only Rossi knows.

A few highlights from the interview:
    "......So Rossi calls me and tells me he’s interested in the subject. We met, talked things over, and I could see that he had some innovative ideas; for instance, he immediately thought of using powder. Powder increases the surfaces involved and thereby increases the hydrogen which gets into the metal. We came to an agreement and began conducting experiments -- this happened about two and a half /three years ago -- in Bondeno, where he had an assembly plant, he was running a business there.

With these experiments came the first important results, the ones which led to the current result. "

"After this, we began to build our first devices, extremely simple ones: a container, with a small cylinder inside, a tray for the nickel, which is the component we were using (we experimented with other metals too, we did all sorts of things) "

"We came to perform experiments in which the energy produced was in the order of two hundred times the input energy -- and that’s quite a factor. "

"I’m an experimental physicist, not a theoretical one -- but theoretical physicists think they know it all, they say “these things occur inside stars, therefore they cannot occur at 100, 200 K” "