THHuxleynew Verified User
  • Member since Jan 18th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by THHuxleynew

In contrast, applied energy is not used to cause cold fusion and a different nuclear product is produced, i.e. He-4. Therefore, the entire process for overcoming the Coulomb barrier involves only electron screening. The reaction rate for cold fusion is many orders of magnitude greater than the hot fusion rate at the smallest applied energy. Therefore, the mechanism involving screening is different. In other words, the behavior observed when energy is applied cannot be used to understand cold fusion because the mechanisms are entirely different.

I propose that the mechanism causing cold fusion involves the assembly of many electrons. Therefore, I would make an effort to look for these electrons in the emitted radiation. I suggest Gordon has seen these electrons. In fact, I have measured the emitted current and the generated power and found that they are affected by temperature in the same way. This work is ongoing. In other words, I have seen the first clue. Hopefully, people will now look for other clues rather than dismissing the observation as a chemical effect.

Just a logical comment here.

I think many people would agree with "assembly of many electrons". However some would disagree that the behaviour comes solely from electron screening rather from electron screening and high energies. That is because:

(1) The obvious way to get higher screening is to have a higher electron charge density - that requires higher energy. I am not saying that is the only way - there are other possibilities.

(2) There are known processes that might result in high energy electrons in a lattice (and indeed that are also evidenced by the LEC work, which requires higher than typical energies).

And another comment:

Temperature scaling of any effect can be very helpful in identifying mechanism. What are you proposing is the precise temperature scaling shard by LECs and cold fusion?

Best wishes, THH

Jed. I will leave this discussion now. I do not disagree with most of what you say, yet it does not address the topic at hand, which is whether science needs theory as well as experiment. (and that has only tangential relationship to this thread!).

Your argument (I think) is that the identification of dominant and recessive units of inheritance and how they interact, the probabilities you get from that, and its inference from, and prediction of, experimental data is not a case of scientific theory. I disagree.

Those reading our sequence of posts will make what they want to of your arguments and mine. Maybe the difference is just semantics. I do not think either of us are likely to be swayed by what the others say on this particular topic - strange because I thought it was pretty uncontentious. If anyone other than you or me feels that more clarification is needed, or feels that what I have said does not stand up - I'd be happy to continue the conversation somewhere else.

I'm just as frustrated with people who reject the helium-energy measurements as Jed, but for different reasons. The basic criterion of reality required by science is replication. Yet, when replication is done and excellent agreement is achieved, this work is rejected. Clearly, we are actually dealing with a problem involving psychology rather than science. Therefore, a logical argument is useless. This being the case, I suggest no further time be wasted on this subject.

Hi Ed,

I have been interested in the He measurements and only remember when I last looked at them I was a bit disappointed. What I discovered then was that the amounts of He were so incredibly small that great care was needed, and even then artifacts were difficult to rule out.

Replication of an artifact obviously does not provide any extra integrity, so they precise details of protocols, what is done to detect and minimise artifacts, etc matter.

My remembrance is that some people (e.g. Miles) tried quite hard to eliminate artifacts but did not have a protocol that could do that for all artifacts. It is no criticism of them - it is just an incredibly difficult type of experiment to do safely.

So then it is a matter of correlating all of the different attempts, and seeing what they add up to. Do they, between them, provide better integrity. That process again depends on very precise details of methodology. I find it fascinating and would want to discuss it (which would take a long time so obviously not here) but I am not sure anyone else is interested.

The He/excess heat experiments are pretty well unique in LENR in having a clear prediction against which results can be compared. So, for me, they are valuable. When there was some talk (Abd here) that maybe there would be a modern replication I thought great - but I can see, on reflection, given the difficulties that any modern replication would also find it difficult with certainty to eliminate all artifacts.

Best wishes,

THH

THH: You keep saying "there could be a leak." Why don't you do your homework and make your case? This is simple arithmetic, not quantum electrodynamics. Read the literature (for once!). Find out the volume of the cell, hose and flask. You know the effluent gas is collected for 1.2 hours. You know the concentration of helium in air: 5,000 ppb. You can find out the performance of the best needle valves available, and assume that a hole could not be any smaller than that. What else do you need to know?

Jed - I'd welcome wading into the literature on another thread if others are interested - I am not sure anyone except me is!

You make an assumption here which I would never assume, and it is pretty obviously wrong.

The microleaks in this case are incredibly small - so small that in most experiments they would not be noticed. They could rely on the diffusion of He through barriers (to take just one example: no hole, but barrier that is thinner than usual in one spot). So the idea that leaks must be larger than the holes from needle valves does not fly.

You cannot cite "what everyone knows" because very few people care about such incredibly tiny leak rates for high mobility gasses. How in a normal experiment could you even measure this?

THH

THH, let's discuss electron screening. When hot fusion is caused to occur in a material, electron screening clearly operates. The magnitude is large but not enough to compensate for the reduction in the fusion rate caused by the use of lower applied energy. Therefore, this is not a useful path to increase the rate of hot fusion. I will stop here because you have a habit of disagreeing with me about everything. So, it's pointless to go on to the next step when we do not agree about the first step.

This is an important concept because cold fusion clearly is caused by electron screening but with different characteristics and mechanism. We need to talk about how the two mechanisms differ.

Well, I don't broadly disagree. Rather than qualify what you say, how about you go on to the next step :)

Here again, you have an opinion that does not match reality. Rossi discovered now to cause LENR by using a conventional catalyst containing Ni. This condition is very similar to what Case found to work, except Case used Pd and D2. Rossi demonstrated he could make excess power. Then IH required him to make 1 MW. Rossi did not trust IH so he lied about the material he used. He claimed the material was a mixture of Ni and LiAlH4 that was heated to high temperature. That material did not work. Meanwhile, he used the material that did work in an attempt to make the required 1 MW. He could not reach 1 MW so he lied.

F-P did not lie. I have not lied. Claiming that because Rossdi lied, all the claims are suspect is not rational.

That is one interpretation of the evidence wrt Rossi, which however I disagree with.

Please read what I wrote. I said the reverse of what you think I said. I agree - Rossi lied and cheated (we have written evidence of both) - I have no expectation that anyone else did that (except self-admitted for Parkhomov, who self-admittedly falsified a graph). I see no comparison between Rossi and LENR researchers. Which is why I am uncomfortable with anyone studying LENR claiming Rossi as doing useful work in that field. Rossi was neither a scientist nor a researcher nor an even vaguely competent inventor. I have followed the Rossi story, and contributed to the understanding of his many interesting demos, in probably more detail than you - ask the mods here. Anyway Rossi is not the topic at hand.

Nothing about LENR can be proven. That is a false requirement. Even using this word makes no sense. We are trying to understand a real phenomenon of Nature, not unlike how the fission reaction was viewed initially. All new discovers are initially confusing. If you cannot deal with confusion, you should not be involved with scientific exploration. Stick to teaching only what is known and can be proven.

I don't think I've shown any lack of comfort with uncertainty? It seems from this that you agree with me - read back what I said.

Google was not looking for new understanding. They were looking for proof that the heat could be made on demand. Heat can not be made in demand. I tried to show in my paper how the probability can be improved. That's the best we can do right now.

If that is true it is disappointing - and not what they said they were doing.

The Czerski study did not involve cold fusion. This and the later use of ion bombardment are triggering hot fusion. The failure to understand this fact is causing great confusion. Once again, nothing I say has the slightest effect on what the people in charge believe.

There might be some terminological confusion, for which I apologise. You can of course exclude electron screening effects from any CF mechanism, but I am not sure there is evidence to make that exclusion. Getting enhanced fusion from ion bombardment is maybe hot fusion - but noting enhanced reaction rates at very low energies (which might be found in special circumstances in a lattice at low temperatures) is surely cold fusion.

Mizuno has success only because his method for treating the material makes more gaps than the other methods. We need to know why his method works because without this knowledge the energy cannot be made practical. You keep focusing on efficiency and not on the basic cause. Simply having as a source of energy is useless because, without a clear understanding, no one will trust the generator to work as required.

I am not concerned about efficiency - but having a system easily and accurately enough measurable to parametrise it reliably. which would provide info (Arrhenis curves etc) as to cause.

One of the characteristics of all new discoveries is that they always look impossible and unreal at first. A few people who do not have this mindset will continue an interest until the discovery looks commonplace to everyone else. You have yet to reach that level.

I sort of agree - I am not one of the brave few who insist the impossible is possible until it becomes that.

But equally I do not deny that - and my interest - which even if it is not shared by many is perfectly legitimate - is in solving the mystery of how those partial theories and partially informative experiment results can be joined together. Not that I expect to solve this myself.

THH

Yes, look at the nodules, there are also clearly visible traces of spherical spheres, that it is clear to a fool what and how these nodules were formed and I'm trying to help you, that these are LENR processes and other processes will not be there, or you decided to do your own theory, I don't understand you, go to my topic, let's think that to do. You don't understand me, Alan has known me for a long time since the 13th conference in Russia, maybe he understands something wrong, maybe you need to contact the administrator, what will he say. And his friends are watching my topic, of course it's good, but you can't be so unfriendly, we've known each other for a long time, it turns out. We need to solve such issues together, not separately, we know who you were, why refuse now, I know all these people. Let's make peace rather than quarrel. Yes, Alan, and why did you close the mail for me, everything is visible here, think about it...

Gennadiy - Ed's thread here has been derailed (mainly - and I apologise - by people attacking me and me explaining myself).

LENR is not understood. Ed has been around a long time. Anyone brave enough to advance possible mechanisms, or parts of mechanisms, is to be applauded. I will probably give Ed a hard time - if he posts here - in the sense that my way of trying to understand what other people say is quite challenging. But that is OK. Things can have issues, or be partly wrong, and still have value. Until LENR is understood anyone willing to advance rational mechanisms and engage in dialog is doing a useful job.

So lets get back to Ed's original project here. It does not from my POV in any way detract from anything you post.

I have an important question for TTH. What is your motive for taking the time to reply here? What is your goal? An answer would help structure a proper reply. Right now the discussion is going in circles. You seem determined to suggest any idea that can show the claim for cold fusion is wrong. Even when the results are presented using accepted arguments and formats, you suggest a flaw. Even when independent measurements agree, you suggest reasons why the results can not be believed. Even after 34 years of study by dozens of professional scientists, the results of which are published in over 2000 peer-reviewed papers, you find reasons to reject the conclusions. What is your motive? Why would you now only believe the results that result from the work funded by the DOE? Your approach made sense 30 years ago. Now it does not look rational. In any case, your approach is useless to me and to the other people who are trying to solve this important mystery.

Ironically, 34 years ago civilization was given the means to avoid the catastrophe that will result from global warming. This critical energy source was rejected with your help. Now, it's too late. I hope you are pleased with the result of your efforts.

Ed

You seem determined to suggest any idea that can show the claim for cold fusion is wrong

Below, I explain motivation. There is a difference between unproven, and wrong. Rossi's setups were wrong (22/23 probably so - with that track record we do not need to consider the one not provably, but possibly, wrong one). Rossi has been a big distraction for LENR research and is not typical. He is a proven liar and cheat. Perhaps though, since interest in LENR was as you say unjustly stifled 30 years ago - having it for equally bad reasons (Rossi effect) enhanced now is only fair.

Anyway - what you (& Jed) don't like me not being convinced by is evidence that is very interesting, and suggestive of LENR, but not proven LENR. Though it is proven something. It is a pity we do not now have the funding to rerun those electrolysis experiments - using modern knowledge about what materials work, and get better certainty from careful replication. It was what I thought the google team should have done - I still don't understand the tangled story of why they did not.

The work that I like now is a different type of result. It is quantitative, indisputable (high energy particle detection multiple ways leaves no uncertainty) and characterised parametrically which also increases certainty. It builds on 20 years of previous experiments (Czerski et al) making progress incrementally as would be expected. It makes predictions which are found true on further experiment. There is some DOE work that I don't like. No-one has done and published work as good as the old excess heat experiments. (FYI I have no connection to Czerski or any of the groups doing electron screening stuff - I just like the work).

Even after 34 years of study by dozens of professional scientists, the results of which are published in over 2000 peer-reviewed papers, you find reasons to reject the conclusions. What is your motive?

I had no involvement 30 years ago. Perhaps, if I had had that, I would be as discouraged as you think I should be.

My motive being here is that I like to understand mysteries. LENR is a mystery. For me, I am not very biased which way the solution goes - e.g. nuclear reactions, or a collection of experimental anomalies. I have always been in the middle between those who see experiment as primary, and those who see theory as primary. I see understanding as primary and that means making sense of the experimental results. I am motivated to stick with LENR because I am very perseverant and the results do NOT make sense - although efforts to do this (such as yours) are around and to be applauded.

I was (and am) most interested in the Czerski lattice electron screening stuff [1] - in fact 5 years ago (?) I did an extensive forward/backward Literature review based on Czerski trying to make sense of all the experimental data indicating high screening in metal lattices (varying by metal).

My viewpoint: I see new fundamental electronic interactions as extraordinarily unlikely (we would have hints) - for all the normal reasons. But unexpected behaviour of electrons in lattices, or lattices at gaps/discontinuities/whatever, or surfaces - that is fine. Frankly the LEC results (indisputed) show such unexpected electronic behaviour. I see unexpected nuclear woo-woo* reactions as extraordinarily unlikely (we would have hints). However the range of possible non-woo-woo behaviours of nuclei is very large - unlike electrons they are v complex not fully understood systems. So something that pushed reaction rates in unusual ways is quite possible. in fact there are many effects which we know do that. The issue for LENR is just that the pushing is a few more OOMs than we would normally expect.

When I feel positive about LENR - it is looking at all those interesting theoretical effects - plasmonic effects, nuclear resonances, screening, coherence effects.

What experimental data makes me positive? I am pushed a bit towards positivity by all that high quality old data - much less so by the newer Ni-H excess heat data - I think it is less reliable. All that is needed is for one of the Mizuno-replicant groups to provide a black box with COP=1.5 or so for proper 3rd part testing using different calorimetry and it would become very reliable. I've always seen this as something that will happen, or not. If not, the longer we wait the larger my doubts in its reliability. But I do not feel just because one set of LENR data proves unreliable that it all must be that.

When I feel negative about LENR, it is the fact that thus far all attempts to tie down or amplify effects using scaling, or get parametric insight, have failed. Thus when McKubre replicated F&P electrolysis with superb calorimetry the magnitude of the observed effect (except for a I think two unreplicable outliers) goes down to something which while above calorimetry errors is not above some potential system difference between active and control runs not understood. When MFMP tried to scale early Rossi-type reactors in the obvious way (increasing thermal resistance to ambient thereby reducing input power required) it did not scale (though of course there was lower expectation in that case!). The lack of scaling pushes me in the direction of the results being artifacts, as does (some) of the scaling with temperature (e.g. on another thread here Daniel's).

I don't want to argue about "is the McK data so definite it proves LENR". It is high quality data without obvious issues. It has possible not obvious issues, in spite of excellent attempts to control for it, based on just plausible differential heat gradients between control and active runs caused by recombination. We have argued around this a lot: it is not fruitful to revisit it. My problem is that much better apparatus and methodology normally makes effects much easier to see. In this case much better apparatus and methodology (from McK) led to a lower effect that would be expected based on previous results.

I'd extend that to the Ni-H stuff. Everyone is interested in it (I think?) based on a number of very encouraging results from Mizuno and other Japanese researchers. If the replicated systems, better instrumented, all end up giving results 5X smaller or more than the systems they replicate I do not believe them. Why? Because then nearly all of the original result was error. It therefore provides no support for Ni-H anomalies. I could not see any clear error in the M results, even though there were a few red flags in terms of methodology. If they are proved wildly wrong why would I have confidence in some other similar work in which I could also see no obvious error?

The flip side of this is that if clearly high results as from Mizuno and claimed by a number of replicators (I'm including Clean Planet in this - even if they are not replicating M) are real then unambiguous replicable results can be found, and if any of the parties are willing tested in a way that would convince me and (pretty quickly) everyone.

My big push negative is the lack of experimental progress from F&P, who claimed high excess heat. Personally as I've argued on another thread after being convinced to the dark side by ascoli - I had for so long not wanted to look at that poor quality difficult to analyse boil-off data simply reckoning no-one in their right minds could trust it - I now have no trust in any high F&P results. Which explains the lack of replication at a similar magnitude. But anomalous Pd-D excess heat remains.

F&P were not the first people to observe anomalous excess heat in D-Pd systems and I can be interested in the anomalies in spite of my lack of confidence in their data. Theoretically, I don't see LENR as impossible at all, it is just that (1) the experimental data is not enough yet and (2) what data there is, is too heterogeneous and not clearly nuclear for my comfort. If I compare "unknown LENR theory" with "collection of experimental anomalies" the way that the observed effects are so scattered and the LENR mechanism forced to be an unusual one that is coincidentally just very difficult to detect makes me negative, as a whole, about the experimental stuff.

As I've said above, I greatly enjoy the theory regardless of whether it works (and tiny bits of it, as a minimum, the enhanced lattice screening at low energies, are now proven to work). And I am fascinated by the anomalies - both at an experimental level (what caused those McK differences between active and calibration, active and control systems?) and because Pd-D or Pd-H lattices are such a complex system so capable of being surprising.

Forums like this tend to be fan clubs - with trolls. I am just unusual in that I am neither a fan nor a troll. From my POV everyone should welcome that - even if it is sometimes annoying and no use. But the social media tribalism means that people try to see me as having some positive or negative motive - an agent in some war. I am of course always positive about research - especially because I see a non-instrumental value in solving mysteries.

THH

PS - many here find it impossible to believe that I can be interested in this stuff, and open-minded, while being at the moment broadly negative about the experimental stuff. I am sure anyone sticking with the field for 34+ years understands this negativity well. The negativity comes from a continued lack of replicability or coherent characterisation in spite of claims of much better results. It can be excused - the excuses come, for me, with a burden of negativity, which will be dispelled as soon as either we have replicability (not much - just a single extraordinary system continuing to work and tested by different labs each with their own different calorimetry and parametric data that makes sense) or we have scaling results that tie in strongly with a theory and give us a clear way forward. Also, if (e.g. Clean planet) have their claimed LENR powered boiler success will shortly emerge, making all doubt irrelevant. The rewards from LENR are high and justify continued research even with a low probability of success. Maybe as somone who likes the theory anyway I am more tolerant of possible negative experimental results?

[1] https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/CzerskiKthehdphrea.pdf

The 2H(d, p)3H reaction in metallic media at very low energies

Europhys. Lett., 68 (3), pp. 363–369 (2004)
    DOI: 10.1209/epl/i2004-10209-3

PPS - I don't see LENR as being needed for a green energy transition. Enormous improvements, as we have made, in PV, and wind power are enough. It is just political will that is lacking. Governments are stupid. We also need and are getting slowly improvements in battery technology. I'm not sure there can be enough hydro to handle base load so we will need cheaper batteries for short and medium-term storage, but the road map to those is well laid out.

*woo-woo nuclear behaviour. Something predicated on a new fundamental theory of physics (e.g. alternative to Standard model) that shows itself only in LENR anomalies and pseudo-scientific numerology. There is ample room within standard theory for unexpected and difficult to understand effects. And the barrier for any new fundamental theory that changes real world predictions at normal energies is that we have in all those particle physics and other experiments no hint of it.

So, IMHO, you cannot get a ruler and draw a sharp line between LENR and chemistry, but should accept the idea that relatively modest changes in physical conditions can yield very different LENR outcomes, which is I am sure underlies the points that Ed was making in this paper.

Ed will comment on that.

It is a strong statement, which actually classifies a lot of the NASA "electron screening + ..." work as not LENR.

Unless by different outcomes you mean different reaction rates for one or just possibly 2 dominant reactions which can be predicted from minor modifications to standard nuclear reaction theory. But not "LENR produces my favourite unexpected stable transmutation product - and yeah - it changes to something completely different when I alter the experiment".

That definition of LENR - held by some - is not the same as a more limited definition.

I assume here ( :) ) that the LENR community here are all, as scientists, keen to seek the correct most predictive explanation for the set of LENR anomalies, allowing the possibility that some of these might have non-LENR explanations even though the preponderance of evidence means some core LENR mechanism must exist to explain most of them.

OBVIOUSLY if the cell, hose or flask leaks, they would toss out the results! They wouldn't know until weeks later, but the first mass spec results would show the flask has thousands of times more helium than the background (3 or 4 ppb). You couldn't miss it!

We know the flask does not leak. Because it didn't leak over many months. You are saying there must have been a leaky cell or hose. And you are saying that by some astounding magic the cell or leaked in just enough helium to bring the total up to ~7 ppb, but only when there was excess heat.

Think about your above two sentences. You agree there can be "obvious" leaks - discarded. You exclude the possibility of "microleaks" - a poor seal allowing He diffusion (but with no air gap). Those can only be evaluated by checking the experimental results. Once we have a protocol in which high He values are discarded as leaks your objection that "we know the flask does not leak" vanishes. It may leak. Leaks higher than microleaks will be discarded. You are assuming either the leaks are large, or zero. But without showing for this type of experiment that microleaks are impossible, you don't know. In terms of mechanism, if a poor seal can result in a large leak, it can also result in reduced seal area where therefore diffusion is higher than normal rate and high enough to affect the experiment. You need to look carefully at which runs are discarded and which are kept - have a precise protocol - see in what way the He correlates with excess heat and be sure there is no other variable that would affect leaks (like temperature) that also correlates with excess heat.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Maybe it has been. But statements like yours here do not give me confidence it has been done. And the results, because of the difficulty of the experiment, are not simple to interpret.

Of course - any experimenter will make a judgement call and satisfy themselves they have done enough testing. It is still judgement call whether you think they come from excess heat He or some correlation of microleakiness with the experiment. Which is why all of the details - and there are a lot for this experiment - matter. Then the judgement calls can be evaluated. (And I am aware there is a lot of info in the writeups - which is why we could examine them on another thread).

The LENR community know LENR exists so do not think the level of certainty in a positive LENR result needs to be higher than in a result where the a priori probability is 50%, for said result to be accepted. So a result with a not known to exist but not rules out "microleaks" alternative explanation will seem definite. Others will not have that certainly, remember the way the real world comes and bites your assumptions, and remain unconvinced.

Before you say "we all know that" the lack of clear candidate theory in LENR means that even those in the LENR field might want be cautious about results and factor in a priori probability - even if your default probabilities - based on your judgement - are different. Maybe the LENR reactions cannot generate He - but do transform metals. If He generation is a definite it excludes such theories as impossible. Are the He results clear enough to absolutely exclude LENR theories that do not allow He generation?

Before you say - "prejudice - we must not let a priori probability affect confidence". It is done in any experiment. When you measure a new battery with a voltmeter and get 0, you check connections + voltmeter, because a new battery is unlikely to be discharged. Whereas the same thing checking an old likely fully discharged batteries you would not do that check. Ok - I would check everything at the start anyway - the point is that I check MORE when the results are unexpected. In scientific experiments more checking should be done as a matter of course. But there is only so much time and money we have, and not everything can be checked.

Nope. A law. A theory has a unifying, underlying principle to it, such as evolution being caused by natural selection. Whereas before 1952, people knew there were dominant and recessive genes, and they even knew which chromosome the genes were located on, but they had no deeper knowledge of what the genes were physically, or what caused a gene to be dominant or recessive.

Your definition of "underlying principle" is in that case subjective.

Mendel would argue that "units of inheritance" which are dominant or recessive, is an underlying principle. So would I.

The extra detail you get from associating genes with DNA sequences is just detail.

How much detail do you need before it becomes, in your view, "fundamental"?

(1) Genes are identified with DNA sequences

(2) Genes are identified with possibly multiple copies of DNA sequences.

(2) As above but the DNA sequences are expressed or not according to stuff generated from other DNA sequences, thus switching genes on and off?

(3) as above but all of the details that determine gene expression.

Without all of the details, you have an inexact model. You choose to set and arbitrary dividing line between what is "fundamental" and what not.

Another example would be electricity.

Maxwell's laws are more fundamental than Kirchoff's Laws

Yet both are highly predictive, and they predict (quantitatively) new experimental results: so they are more than just "this happened - so it will happen again". Even constancy can be an important predictive theory:

"mass is conserved in any chemical reaction" - is not obvious, and predicts new experiments and important,

Jed: I'd recommend to you, when thinking about things, to entertain the possibility that what seems certain to you may be the opposite of certain to other people. Not because they are stupid, or have an agenda, or biased. Just because they think about things more in shades of grey (if that is an expression that can now be used without inappropriate associations!).

In this case you think you have an "obvious" distinction between laws and theories that are fundamental. I disagree. If I had to distinguish I'd say that a scientific theory:

(1) Must generalise from past experiments to make new future predictions (not just - mass is conserved in the reaction 2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O - bit "therefore mass is conserved in all reactions"

(2) Those predictions (of new experiments) must prove correct and informative (in a Bayesian sense, rather than saying nothing that was not already known).

the above definition is not quite complete - if anyone challenges it I will try to elaborate.

So the leak would have to be in the cell or the hose. What we can ask him to do is explain why the leak did not produce random levels of helium far above the 3 to 4 ppb in cells that produced no heat, and ~7 ppb in cells that produced heat. What kind of leak does that?

That is why you need to check the experimental protocol. I remember reading (but not sure it was Miles) a protocol where in order to conduct these experiments the apparatus was tested for leakage during the electrolysis runs, and if found to leak the test was discarded and the apparatus re-made.

You can perhaps see how that would answer your question. And, frankly, you would need to have a protocol that discarded results from leaky apparatus.

But the He experiments deserve long discussion on a thread of their own, for anyone like me who has not made up their minds about them. Perhaps I am the only such here?

Since Mills's theory has been mentioned here as being more highly predictive than QED. There is a "common sense" argument which applies clearly to Mills's theory - although not in the same way to LENR where there are plausible reasons to expect the effect to be difficult to observe replicably.

Mills's theory requires that hydrogen have fractional quantum states. A very clearly testable thing, and given the simplicity of the hydrogen atom something that if it can be achieved, this would be easily replicable.

For Mills's theory to be compared with LENR is very unfortunate for LENR and unfair. You could, at a pinch, as you still can with Rossi, at an even larger pinch, claim BLP has some not understood by them form of LENR that provides over-unity results. You cannot make that claim for Mills theory. Physicists jump over themsleves to find novel theories. And they have looked at Mills's.

From Mark Fernee on Quora (one of many articulations of this argument):

There is no verifiable new physics to be found here. The founder does not even have a physics PhD, but rather is a medical doctor. The idea of fractional quantum states has been debunked many times, even by Nobel laureates. Patents have been revoked. Promises have been made for over a decade with no usable product. The breakthrough is perpetually one or two years away.

The field of physics is filled with very smart and capable people seeking to understand the universe. If someone had made a breakthrough of such a magnitude that it overturned the current physics paradigm, there would be people flocking to this new idea to try and exploit it. Instead, you have this rediculous trope that scientists are reluctant to embrace new ideas. That's completely laughable, as it is the scientists that are the ones constantly looking for new ideas.

The simplest and most plausible explanation is that there is no new physics here and that the founder is either knowingly trying to seek funding from people who are not scientifically literate, or self-deluded and is selling his delusional vision. The unfortunate fact is that he has secured millions in capital, which I put down to a failure of due diligence on the part of the investors.

Let's just look at the claim for a fractional quantum state. This is a testable claim, which has never been verified outside his lab. This would be huge news if was true.

Yes, QED is the conventional explanation. However, it is based on a single kind of electron interaction, i.e. the planet-Sun model. Mills has proposed a different model that has better predictive power. His model is rejected by conventional science for the same reason LENR is rejected.

I think this is probably OT for this thread. However I do not think your second sentence above is correct - and I hope your third sentence is wrong.

• QED (quantum electrodynamics) is a theory of electromagnetism which generalises Clerk-Maxwell's theory which itself generalises previous theories of electrostatics and magnetism.
    • It is therefore what Jed would consider a (pretty) fundamental theory.
    • It does not make any assumptions about a planet-sun model. As a theory of electron interaction, because it incorporates quantisation and is intrinsically a many-particle theory, it is far from a planet-sun model.
    • QED predicts with exquisite accuracy from a very simple fundamental set of rules (no fudges) an enormous number of experimental results. Basically everything that involves electrons and electromagnetic fields including photon creation/anhihilation. It specialises to electromagnetism and special relativity.

I don't know who here has compared Mills's GUT with QED. The former is inconsistent with physics (and indeed self-inconsistent) [1]. Many people have looked at it sympathetically and found it does not work: e.g. [2]. The experimental evidence which Mills claims supports it has been very severely critiqued [3]. From that reference:

Mills bases the theory and conclusions on the apparent observation of novel lines. In this communication, we will not discuss his theoretical excursion but focus only on the claimed experimental spectroscopic observations in [4]. In figures 2–4 of [4] spectra are shown which are obtained from helium–hydrogen discharges in the spectral range 18–50 nm and 6–50 nm, respectively, displaying indeed ‘lines’ not previously observed. However, both spectra were recorded employing a 0.2 m normal incidence spectrometer of a modified Seya–Namioka design, McPherson model 302. According to the authors the instrument covers a wavelength region 2–560 nm, which is definitely impossible. Already the manufacturer quotes the wavelength range to 30–550 nm, and every book on vacuum-UV spectroscopy, see for example [5], explains that because of the low reflectance of gratings and mirrors spectra below 30 nm cannot be detected anymore. It is known that platinum besides gold has the highest reflectance at short wavelengths, but it is already below 0.075% at 10 nm [6]. Observation of lines at 8.29 and 10.13 nm (figure 4) is simply impossible with this instrument: the observed lines therefore must be artefacts. How these come about can only be clarified by looking at the internal setup of the instrument at the specific settings of the grating. The authors also show a spectrum of the same spectral range from pure helium discharges recorded with a grazing incidence instrument, lower trace of their figure 2, which is best suited for this wavelength region. The reader can only wonder why this instrument was not employed for the investigation of the helium–hydrogen discharges searching for novel lines!

The latter is fundamental - beautiful - Feynman called it "the jewel of physics", and has the merit that it generalises previous theories and hence automatically inherits validation from all the experimental evidence supporting them.

[1] Rathke, A. (2005). A critical analysis of the hydrino model. New Journal of Physics. 7. 127. 10.1088/1367-2630/7/1/127.

[2] Khelashvili, A. and Nadareishvili, T., “Dirac’s reduced radial equations and the problem of additional solutions”, International Journal of Modern Physics E, vol. 26, no. 7, 2017. doi:10.1142/S0218301317500434.

[3] H-J Kunze 2008 J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 41 108001DOI 10.1088/0022-3727/41/10/108001

People knew a lot about chromosomes. They knew that some genes were one chromosome, and others on another. They built up a complex structure of knowledge and rules. All of them correct, and still in use.

Some of the rules (like dominant and recessive genetic inheritance) were beautifully simple.

That looks to me like a theory? And genetics would have been in a poor state pre-1952 without the various post-Mendelian theories that informed it.

I would call Gregor's work a model. He established "laws" rather than theory. A "law" meaning something with no underlying explanation, such as Ohm's law (when it was introduced), or Kepler's laws of planetary motion. Kepler's laws had no underlying, broader theoretical explanation until Newton. Newton's laws made Kepler's a subset. A special case for elliptical orbits.

So: often scientific theories will make way to deeper theories that explain things in more fundamental terms:

Kepler -> Newton -> Einstein -> (? quantum spacetime ? quantum loop gravity?) (to take one example).

Or

Protons and neutrons as phenomenological particles -> standard model and QCD with protons + neutrons as composite particles made out of quarks and gluons -> ??

That does not make the less fundamental theories less historically important, or less real theories.

Newton, as you say, generalised Kepler's theory to construct Newtonian gravity. The point is that each step in understanding enables the next one and we can never know when we have reached the end Scientists don't see our current best theory - the standard model - as being fundamental - although no-one can prove there will ever be anything better until something better (which will have standard model as a special or approximate case) emerges.

Therefore you cannot consistently say that only a "true" fundamental model is a theory - and everything else is just experiment - because you never know when the rules you have are fundamental.

Kepler's Laws - although not fundamental - made testable predictions of things not previously so accurately predicted.

My point: science requires experiment and theory.

The Barrier also involves a charge, in this case, a positive charge. We know from experience that a positive change can be neutralized by an equal negative charge. This happens all the time in chemical molecules. When electrons assemble in a molecule or to form a crystal, they occupy certain well-defined energy states with respect to the positive charge. These states are imagined as orbits of electrons surrounding the positive charge such as planets around the Sun. This visual distorts what is actually happening. In fact, the electrons interact with each other as well as with the positive change. The electron interaction process is critical to understanding how the Coulomb barrier can be "neutralized".

When electrons assemble to form atoms, they cause nuclei to become separated, with the electron cloud occupying the space between the nuclei. In the case of LENR, the electron cloud must bring the nuclei closer together. This would require a different kind of electron interaction. The need for this new kind of interaction is one of the important consequences resulting from this discovery. This is where the Nobel Prize is located.

I suggest this kind of interaction causes the formation of the EVO (Shoulders) and Ball lightning (Lewis). I suggest it occurs in ordinary materials but is revealed only when it initiates a nuclear process. This can only happen when isotopes of hydrogen are present at the same location. So, we are required to have an act of faith. We must assume that electrons can interact in a previously unknown way. A detailed understanding is not possible or necessary at this time. We only need to explore the general requirements.

I can see that this is one route to dealing with the coulomb barrier, and welcome hearing more details. I'd make two observations.

(1) There is another route, possible without requiring new and indeed Nobel prize worthy electron interactions, for dealing with the CB.

(2) QED is a very precise and experimentally well verified (complete) theory of electronic interaction. That means any additional electron interactions must change electron behaviour - as observed by all those 1000s of observations that align with QED, in a manner that makes the same predictions as QED. That is a strong constraint.

To expand on (2) - one might hypothesise some electron interaction that only occurred within (or close to) a nucleus. Since any computational theory of nuclei requires quarks and gluons, and the relevant simulations are for computational reasons not strongly predictive, there is maybe room for an additional interaction that changes nuclear behaviour. But if it is mediated by electrons then it will affect them, as well as the nucleus, and that effect must be invisible as far as all those very precise electron measurements go. In physics there are strong reasons (conservation laws) to think that all interactions are two-way. So that remains a very strong constraint of the "here be sea-serpents" variety. To use a nautical analogy.

and THH...being the teacher he is, has his students to teach. I meant no disrespect for THH

No offence taken: true teaching is indeed a noble and exciting calling. As a matter of accuracy, I'd point out the my interest in research is accompanied by a small number of peer-reviewed publications in decent journals, so although I claim no specific expertise I am qualified (as are many others here) to opine about the nature of science.

THH

First, the atoms have to assemble. The discussion is still at this stage.
    Second, the Coulomb barrier has to be overcome. This is where the discussion will get difficult.

Third, the fusion process has to occur. This process is expected to produce unexpected products.

And finally, the energy has to be dissipated. This will be a difficult part of the discussion even though many observations are available as a guide.

And to help the moving on.

This is a very fair description of what is needed. I'd just add FYI that for me (and I think Hagelstein is on record as having this view) no. 4 is the most difficult of these steps (more so than 2 - although that is also challenging).

THH, you need to stop thinking in terms of electrolysis. LENR does not need electrolysis to occur. Electrolysis is ONLY a method to apply the hydrogen isotopes at high chemical activity. While the method has some unique behaviors, none of them are unique in causing LENR. We need only to understand how two or more D can leave locations where fusion cannot happen and assemble at locations where fusion can happen. This is a very simple requirement. This involves a chemical process that must be consistent with the rules of chemistry and with the energy conditions present in a crystal structure. Because we can not "see" where the atoms assemble, we must use logic to discover a location that is consistent with all observed behavior. That is what my paper has attempted to do.

I explain why vacancies and dislocations are not the locations in my book "The Explanation of Low Energy Nuclear Reaction" (page 160), so I will not waste time here. Let's go on to discuss the Coulomb Barrier.

I apologise that this thread is getting a bit derailed. Thanks for the reference (is it online :) ?). I am happy to move on.