can Verified User
  • Member since Jan 20th 2017

Posts by can

Rigel

The reason is that sometimes I compose forum comments in a text editor and BBCode is generally easier to type and read compared to the HTML code used on LENR-Forum.

If it's almost a matter of flipping a switch in the forum software, is it possible to have:

• A separate new page for submitting new comments or editing existing ones, like the one appearing when creating new threads?
    • An optional additional comment editing mode allowing more simple BBCode instead of HTML?

Is this supposed to mean, that "ultradense hydrogen" gets transported along tube like gas (analogy of hydrino) in free state? I.e. not adsorbed to any catalyst?

While it's been reported to have a good affinity to metal surfaces and therefore at least part of it will get absorbed into these, at the temperatures of the apparati used by Holmlid the ultra-dense hydrogen is supposed to act like a fluid liquid (a superfluid as a matter of fact) rather than a gas so it should get transported (and/or creep) along the walls of the tube, and easily fall down from it by gravity, which is what seems to be happening in the experiment described the latest paper linked in this thread.

The "potassium-doped iron oxides" are not inert to hydrogen. They're the active component in the hydrogen abstraction catalysts widely used in the petrochemical industry and are capable of easily dissociating molecular hydrogen into atomic hydrogen. Holmlid observed that these surfaces (including the inner surfaces in the pores of the material) can also easily form excited atoms (Rydberg atoms), mainly thanks to the alkali promoter that they include. If conditions are just right these excited atoms can condense into a low density, long-lived state of matter composed of Rydberg atoms, called Rydberg matter. Finally, in recent years he also observed that this can spontaneously further condense into a much denser form that he dubs "ultra-dense hydrogen", which has several unusual, exotic properties.

Holmlid makes hydrogen (protium or deuterium) flow through a tube containing samples of these catalysts (in the form of pellets) and ultra-dense hydrogen comes on the other end. If disturbed, the produced material can undergo a change of state which makes nuclear reactions occur rather easily. Holmlid uses a focused laser for this.

This is a condensed explanation of what Holmlid does. Haven't you read about it before?

The only question is, if just YOU can change your mind, when I explained you, that Holmlids experiments and muons and kaons have nothing to do with cold fusion mechanism.. ;) If I remember well, I repeated it you at least six-times (1, 2, ..). Holmlid didn't change his mind - he knew about it from its very beginning - and you didn't believe him.

No comment on the fact that the ultra-dense hydrogen is produced before laser activation? Do you think it's an inert material that serves no purpose in LENR experiments?

Quote from MrSelfSustain
    A better question could be what is the penetrating power of a Kaon at the energy levels mentioned in the paper?

They're more massive particles than muons and have somewhat less penetrating power for the same energy levels. Note that the range of hundred of meters of muons before decaying is in air, which is not a very dense material.

I've found some hard to find tables for the range of charged kaons in different materials here, starting from page 155. By dividing the range in [g/cm2] by the density of the material in [g/cm3] you will obtain the range in matter in [cm].

Holmlid mentions in the abstract of that paper particle energies up to 500 MeV/u, which is about 265 MeV in the case of kaons. It takes about 10.5 cm of lead to stop them. However it seems that the average particle energy is lower than this.

I haven't followed the latest developments closely, but shouldn't a properly verified COP of 1.3 from a high power, independently replicated device normally be a really big deal? Basically to me it sounds like IH have verified a that new energy source exists, but are complaining that it doesn't perform well enough for their purposes. What about open sourcing it to the scientific community?

You have it opposite, the Holmlid's experiments have very little to do with cold fusion or LENR, he is running hot fusion, as he expressed himself:

Isn't this ultra-dense hydrogen produced from the iron-potassium catalyst regardless of the laser? If yes it's probably safe to assume that methods other than a pulsed laser could be used to induce these meson-producing reactions. Additionally, if a common industrial catalyst (or so I understand) can produce ultra-dense hydrogen, it would be interesting to know what effects this would have in "standard" LENR experiments without a laser.

Why do you dismiss this as not related with LENR on the basis of a knee-jerk response made on a skeptic forum where basically Holmlid was accused of crackpottery?

I don't think that trumps what he's hinted in other papers (such as this) about the possible relation with LENR.