interested observer Member
  • Member since Feb 10th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by interested observer

For the remaining Rossi believers, it seems as if being a "pseudoskeptic" is defined by how many impossible facts, outright lies, or logical fallacies one is willing to totally ignore. If the answer is less than all of them, apparently you are a pseudoskeptic. The remaining Rossi believers are people who can only see the tiny islets of reality floating in a giant ocean of fiction. Special folks they are.

So there are about four people here who have determined with their unique world view that the e-cat works and there is nothing that could possibly happen that will change their minds. These people will take their e-cat love to their graves, even IHFanboy, who is completely neutral on the subject and only seeks truth (har!) Despite the fact that this is glaringly obvious to any interested observer, everyone else here has spent nearly 6000 posts trying to show this handful of people the error in their ways. It is hard to decide which behavior is more eccentric.

The nonsense about "anti-LENR" people continues. How can you be against LENR? If you are not convinced it exists, that does not equate to opposition to it. As THHuxley says, you'd have to be nuts to not want LENR to be real.

More pointedly, who exactly are IH supporters? It still isn't clear or even plausible that IH is a real company as opposed to a shell corporation created for the purpose of funneling funds. Based on their track record, they are also extraordinarily inept and sloppy in their dealings. So who supports them? If the definition is someone who thinks that there isn't a chance in hell that Rossi will collect a fat wad of cash from them in this absurd lawsuit, then I am sure many people fit. If the definition is someone who admires and respects them, the list is painfully short.

Zephyr, you clearly have your own version of reality and I will leave you to enjoy it. The fact that the rest of the world doesn't adhere to your way of thinking must come as a disappointment to you, at least to the extent that what actually happens in the world matters to you. On the other hand, you get to revel in all of the truths that are only true for you.

The claims of new discoveries are true until they're not replicated and proven false with another experiments

This is exactly backwards. The claims of new discoveries are nothing more than claims until they ARE replicated and validated with other experiments.

You may think you know how science works but you are way off track. Your comments on theory, oddly enough, are correct. Go figure.

Well, if you choose to believe that groundbreaking science is to be found on YouTube and that all claims of miraculous new discoveries and inventions are true until proven false, knock yourself out. If your standards are low enough so that nothing ever has to come of these miraculous things other than occasional blog posts and press releases, then you will be satisfied for years to come. As they say, whatever floats your boat.

Ok, you are totally consistent. UFO claims and Bigfoot claims should be considered real because they haven't been disproven. Got it.

I don't think we have anything else to discuss, but I will note that it is unclear whether there is a single additional visitor to this site that you would not consider a pathoskeptic by your standards.

Oh, and by the way, I have a baby brontosaurus in my basement.

So Zephyr, are there any "out of the mainstream" beliefs that you don't believe? How about some of the hundreds of non-LENR free energy claims in PESN (if that is still around)? UFOs? Bigfoot?

As far as I know, very few UFO or Bigfoot claims have actually been disproven.

One of the most common logical fallacies: argumentum ad ignorantiam, also known as appeal to ignorance, which asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proved false.

Well, if denying the statement that all LENR claims are correct makes me a pathological skeptic, then sign me up.

I am certainly skeptical about LENR in general but Eric's comment "There are a few claims that have stood the test of time, seem to have been replicated and merit further investigation" is not something I would argue about. That is a reasonable position to hold and defend.

On the other hand, Zephir's statement would qualify as whatever the polar opposite of pathological skepticism would be called. Judging by his defense of the RT superconductor claim, I guess his operating principle is that everything is assumed true until proven false. That is certainly one way to avoid adhering to mainstream opinion; I will give him that.

But we all digress. He and I can agree to wildly disagree.:)

This work has all the earmarks of the worst of the LENR claims. The chances of it being legitimate are extremely small. Superconductivity has had such claims from time to time for decades. If you compare this work to real discoveries in the field, it stands out as most likely phony. It turns out that very little groundbreaking science is introduced to the world on YouTube.

Hurling insults is not a good idea, but I think it is more like a statement of irrefutable fact that anyone who would pay someone to post on this website is a moron. Flushing the money down the toilet would be equally effective with regard to anything important in the world.

Ok, so ECW is fantasy land for the Rossi deluded. They are entitled to their place where reality is irrelevant.

However, this site is supposed to be the online voice of the LENR community. It is clear that most people here recognize Rossi for the charlatan that he is, which is a good thing. What is depressing is that the overwhelming majority of the activity here is related to Rossi and very little addresses any legitimate work on LENR. Comments to the effect that Rossi is harmful to the field in general are spot on. As long as Rossi is the only thing anyone is talking about in LENR, LENR is going to be regarded as junk science of no value. Perhaps some day when Rossi goes off to a tropical island or ends up in jail, people will focus on other things.

I can only hope that sorting people into "Team Rossi" and "Team IH" is strictly for the purpose of one's view of the outcome of the lawsuit.

Like Roseland, I too have been watching this circus for 6 years and find it blatantly obvious that "Rossi is a pathological liar and a delusional quack" who has nothing of value and never did.

As for IH, they are a shell company of venture capitalists with astonishingly poor judgement who are pathologically bad at due diligence.

I have no desire to be on either team.

I keep reading about IH's facilities, their researchers, their employees, and so on. Five years into their existence, their address is still the offices of the Cherokee Investment Partners and their only listed personnel are Darden and Vaughn, both principals at Cherokee. There is no evidence anywhere on the internet that IH has a physical presence of any sort or any employees. What reason does anyone have to believe that they are anything other than a shell company that invests money in various things? If they are a real operating business, they are just as successful in completely obscuring their presence in the world as Rossi. How can you operate a laboratory in the United States that is not registered with any authority and has no operating permits, licenses, or any other evidence of its existence? Of course, Rossi claims to have teams of people working, laboratories, factories and god-knows what else, none of which also are registered with any state, have any licenses or permits, or have any paper trail whatsoever other than corporate filings. And yet, thousands of posts discuss Leonardo and Industrial Heat as if they were real operating companies somewhere in the world. Must be in parts of Florida and North Carolina that can only be reached by a train from Track 9 3/4.