seven_of_twenty Member
  • Member since Apr 3rd 2018
  • Last Activity:

Posts by seven_of_twenty

The same argument does not apply to calorimeters where close-to-cell temperatures are used as proxies for heat flow since these can have changes unrelated to calorimeter efficiency due to lack of isothermality

Isn't "temperature as proxy for heat flow" the principle used in all "isoperibolic" calorimeters?

I'm a bit confused by the argument regarding who has the largest who is the best electrochemist and why it matters. Some extremely bright and accomplished scientists make extremely doubtful assertions. Dr. Josephson believes in the supernormal and Harvard professor Dr. John Mack believed people who recounted alien abductions. On the other hand, Kary Mullis, a self-admitted drug-using surfer with no previous significant accomplishments, was a major force in the development of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for which he shared a Nobel and earned a fortune. Dr. Mullis had a momentary inspiration while driving!

It really should be about the science and the discoveries and not the credentials. Unless you are choosing someone to do your brain surgery, of course.

Wyttenbach

Nevertheless Mizuno now has been replicated many times, recently even by fellow IH.

Please, what, precisely has been replicated and where was/were the replication(s) published?

LENR is now an accepted fact.

Sure, around here and a very few other spots on the internet. Where else? If it were accepted more generally, don't you think it would warrant large research and development expenditure? But is such expenditure taking place?

I think your claim would be shocking news to most physicists. A relative of mine is a PhD astrophysics professor with more than 20 years experience who specializes in, among other things, transmutations in stars. I persuaded him to spend several hours with me looking at the claims of Rossi and others to have accomplished LENR. First, he didn't talk about LENR or cold fusion as if he thought it was "accepted fact," Instead, he doubted very much that it had been convincingly demonstrated. He also correctly called out Rossi as most probably a complete fraud. We talked about it in 2013 and again in 2016 with the same result.

Jed knows about this- bit AFAIK his visit was too short to accomplish anything useful.

That would be amazing. IH has invested at least $100 M so far and has not publicly announced anything interesting or successful, right? How could they not do everything possible to hang on to someone like Mizuno at least long enough to give him an adequate test? It's puzzling events like this which don't seem to make sense which make it difficult to take Mizuno seriously. I mean unless he had to go back due to some personal tragedy and even then, he could still return to finish the work or leave instructions for how to do it.

excess power was verified throughout most of this experiment and increased to nearly 10 watts during the boil-off of the cell contents.

Excess power was observed, although the effect was considerably smaller than found at the NHE laboratory in 1998.Nevertheless, the excess power of 70 mW was clearly above the experimental calorimetric error of ±3 mW.In summary, 9 out of 10 of my experiments

Here we go again with potential calibration drifts, etc.

In 1998, 10 watts excess power. In 2018, 79mW. Progress?

Petroldragon was an entrepreneurial effort that didn't work out.

So dumping raw waste into the environment is an entrepreneurial effort?

Have you ever done anything?

Yes, why?

It looks like what "seven of twenty says" is pulled out of thin air.

No. It's pulled from dozens of Italian and other newspaper and interview references collected by Krivit and others from original accounts at the time. What you say is pulled directly from what Rossi says.

Rossi at least has made some things that can be seen.

Yes he has. He's made a major, very expensive environmental disaster and at least two major succesful con jobs. One was the thermoelectric generator and the other was the pack of lies, fake companies and non-working parts he delivered to IH. He has never made anything which can be seen which has actually been proven to work.

All you do is make cowardly attacks on someone who isn't here to defend himself.

So what prevents Mr. Rossi from signing up and defending himself here? I can easily guess :P!

It's not as if everything you write hasn't already been said dozens of times. This is what t makes so many comments rubbish and just wasted space.

There is some truth to that! But as long as anyone is still considering the pure garbage and the collection of lies Rossi posts in his blog and site as fact (as you do), then it is probably worthwhile to remind readers about Rossi's accurate history. But you're right. At this point, only the dumbest possible investors would give Rossi money and in a sense, they would deserve what they get.

It is fruitless to argue what Mizuno may have done long ago and why Shanahan does or does not believe it happened. Nobody will solve that and anyway, who the hell cares? The very obvious thing to get done is a replication in plain sight with appropriate instrumentation, controls and competent observation and recording. If there are funding sources and graduate students in this world, it is hard to understand why this has not taken place. Unless, of course, the original event was somehow not reported accurately. After all, there are almost no records. Or maybe aging Mizuno forgot how to do it? If so, why do we see his designs and some actual components for ever more powerful reactors? If someone built those reactors and their predicted performance were real, it would be to LENR what the flights of early Wright airplanes were to aviation. Not true?

That is characteristic of nascent science, such as genetics just before DNA was discovered. It attracted many strange people and weird, complicated theories. As James Watson said, it was mostly baloney. See the quote from his book on the last page here

Maybe so but comparisons like that are of limited usefulness. The one comparing LENR scientists with the Wright Brothers is downright silly. If someone could demonstrate LENR as easily as one can an aircraft in flight, there would be no argument. That is why it would be so important to have those making large claims deliver (such as Rossi, Mizuno and Miley to name a few). But they never do.

Surely, you are not thinking of genetics in general starting with Mendel. The practical applications of that became evident immediately. If this field attracted some crazy people, what difference does that make?

But OK, maybe you are talking about the discovery of DNA. Of course, technology was not adequate to investigate DNA at the time of Miescher. So maybe you mean the discovery of DNA structure by Rosalind Franklin and Maurice Wilkins and of course, their data assembled and analyzed by Watson and Crick. Mainline science got behind it in comparatively short time. X-ray crystallography and other specialized techniques made the double helix evident to a large number of mainline scientists who studied molecular biology. Those experiments were extremely consistent and reproducible. The main arguments were about who should get the Nobel prizes. Did DNA structure take 30 years to be accepted and put to practical and extremely important uses? Of course not. As important for the comparison, DNA studies gained interest and acceptance with time at an accelerating rate, very unlike LENR.

The problem with forgetting Petroldragon along with Rossi's other scams (like what he did with early "distributors" and with the Army's contract to make thermoelectric generators) is that without the background, people believe Rossi. Because a con is old doesn't make the perpetrator any less a con man.

The famous million dollars Rossi supposedly invested is only "Rossy-said." Same with his vegetable oil engine sales. Same with Petroldragon. Same with everything noteworthy Rossi claims all the way up to now. But yeah, sure. I'll forget about it until someone brings it by once more with a story about how poor sad Rossi got wrongly charged.

Yes, I have heard that. I do not know anything about it and I cannot vouch for it, but several people told me that. It wasn't exactly a generator. He invented a Diesel engine that works on biofuel. I have heard that is a major accomplishment, but I wouldn't know.

You have to be cautious to distinguish between what the facts are and what Rossi claims. Those are rarely the same. One can read that Rossi invested a million dollars from prior earnings or that the money came from sale of his personal residence. I have never seen evidence that either is true or that he spent a million dollars of his own money on ecat development. All of that seems to be "Rossi-said."

Well, as a comparatively but not totally "lay" individual, I read or view things about subatomic particles, watch a NOVA segment on the LHC or on the Hubble's findings, theories about volcanoes, even stuff about black holes and come away with a feeling of solidity. Sure, not complete confidence but it sort of makes sense. I never got that impression from LENR research. I know that won't please Jed who will say it's stupid. Maybe it is but LENR seems too full of disagreements, too lacking reasonable theories, too against established knowledge, and way too full of overoptimistic predictions.

In additions to objections voiced here, I am also put off by a lack of followup and a vigorous calling out by the "community": about claims that are either frauds ornever come to fruition despite extensive hyping. Now, I am thinking, for example, where is Brillouin's fancy fluidized bed boiler? Where is Miley's space battery? Where is Mizumo's kilowatt machine? How about Ahern's promises? Where are Duncan's results for >$5M of Kimmel's foundation money? How about those sonofusion/bubble fusion guys that claimed the radiation exposure (forget their name)?, And of course there is Rossi who was believed for 7 years despite literally dozens of red flags and then it took huge volumes of depositions and evidence to bring him down and we are still arguing about him here, believe it or not! Those are other things that make me doubt that anything is there. To be credible, you have to be eager to disprove and root out the bad claims. Pro LENR people don't seem to be.

Right, Nothing like. In the medical world, particularly psychiatry, something like 80% of the results reported in peer reviewed papers can't be replicated.

If true, that indicts psychiatry. It does not make LENR work any more credible.

After years of dealing with major scientists and publishers at places like the Scientific American I can say that I have never encountered such stinking reprobates.

Scientific American = "reprobates"?  Did you ever think maybe it's you who is out of tune?