orsova Verified User
  • Male
  • from Australia
  • Member since Jun 5th 2019

Posts by orsova

Indeed. Theory is a red herring in the context of this exchange, which is about the interpretation and identification of experimental error in a specific experimental result.

I think (hope) that I've now addressed THH's concerns re: the helium result, which only leaves his concern re: the shape of the tritium energy spectrum. His other point (#4 at post #1666) is not really addressable unless a specific mechanism is identified.

THHuxleynew is there any other criticism of / concern about the paper that I've missed?

The D2 artifact issue is not addressed. it is stated as fact that this is not a problem without evidence or rationale. For example, evidence would be a spectrum with two distinct peaks for D2 and 4He. Or an analysis of the expected difference, and comparison with the measured resolution.

Otherwise this is just a hopeful assumption.

The point is that assumptions like this are not proper when the result of making them is something extraordinary. In fact they are not proper anyway, but with a less unexpected result an unproven case can be more easily accepted as likely. And papers must if they are to be useful point out the assumptions, and detail reasons for making them.

The assertion of a statement without rationale is not correct. They specifically note that they had adequate resolution between the two. And they reference prior work that provides ample detail. Moreover, Oliver was a world expert in the detection of 4He.

Here is reference 7:

Summary Abstract: A mass spectrometer system to determine very low levels of helium in small solid and liquid samples
    Harry Farrar, IV, B. M. Oliver; Summary Abstract: A mass spectrometer system to determine very low levels of helium in small solid and liquid samplesSummar
    pubs.aip.org

And here's a catalog for the GA-4.

And here's an old Veeco catalog that details the GA-4R:

Note the specifications and the example spectra provided in both.

The GA-4 and GA-4R seem to be essentially the same, except that the R is rackmounted.

None of this was hard to find.

A while ago I spent some time with the Open Journal Systems platform, getting to know the backend, and one of the nice things about it was how deeply they integrate propagation.

Getting Found, Staying Found, Increasing Impact: Enhancing Readership and Preserving Content for OJS Journals
    A practical guide to increasing the visibility and preservation of your journal content, with examples from Open Journal Systems (OJS)
    docs.pkp.sfu.ca

PKP even goes so far as to offer their own archival system.

PKP Preservation Network - Public Knowledge Project
    PKP has developed the PKP Preservation Network (PKP PN) to digitally preserve OJS journals. The LOCKSS program offers decentralized and distributed…
    pkp.sfu.ca

Regrettably, most of the older personal websites are already gone. I sometimes wonder what happened to the listservs from the early days.

Fulvio Frisone's website seems to have disappeared. However, a lot of it was archived by the Wayback Machine before its demise. He uploaded a huge number of papers and books to it over the years. Many can still be found at:

Wayback Machine

simply type 'pdf' in the 'filter results' box.

He4

The claims rest (I think - can anyone else confirm) on mass spectrometer analysis of the electrodes. [...] They say He4 is detected but do not say how.

This is addressed in the paper.

If this is the case however the obvious question is whether the 4He m/q peak at 2.0 could be a D2 artifact (similar to the HD artifact for the 1.5 peak)?

This is also addressed in the paper.

What to make of this?

Quote from the article

“Essentially, what we’ve discovered is that systems that contain an asymmetry in either electrostatic pressure or some kind of electrostatic divergent field can give a system of a center of mass a non-zero force component,” Buhler explained. “So, what that basically means is that there’s some underlying physics that can essentially place force on an object should those two constraints be met.”

NASA Veteran’s Propellantless Propulsion Drive That Physics Says Shouldn’t Work Just Produced Enough Thrust to Overcome Earth’s Gravity - The Debrief
    A veteran NASA scientist says his company has tested a propellantless propulsion drive technology that produced one Earth gravity of thrust.
    thedebrief.org

What to make of this?

Quote from the article

“Essentially, what we’ve discovered is that systems that contain an asymmetry in either electrostatic pressure or some kind of electrostatic divergent field can give a system of a center of mass a non-zero force component,” Buhler explained. “So, what that basically means is that there’s some underlying physics that can essentially place force on an object should those two constraints be met.”

NASA Veteran’s Propellantless Propulsion Drive That Physics Says Shouldn’t Work Just Produced Enough Thrust to Overcome Earth’s Gravity - The Debrief
    A veteran NASA scientist says his company has tested a propellantless propulsion drive technology that produced one Earth gravity of thrust.
    thedebrief.org

The previous comments relate to a tritium experiment which Jed DID link - although I did not see it for a while. My memory of those experiments is that the careful ones showed very low tritium output and the work required to prove this could not be any of the possible sources; contamination, electrolytic or evaporative concentration (a few others I do not remember). These experiments are particularly difficult to do due to the small results and the fact that (unlike excess heat) you must collect bulk results and test afterwards - which makes checking things challenging.

Okay, but you specifically asked for the tritium paper first.

Here are the posts:

Having received the paper you asked for, you now say: "my memory is that the experiment was not conclusive, and so I'm not going to bother with the paper."

Surely, you must see that if you ask for a paper, specifically say that you would be willing to have a serious discussion about it, and then back away when you receive the paper in question, then people might start to wonder whether you were ever serious about looking at the paper in the first place.

In another thread, you quite literally said to Jed: "give me the paper and I'll give you the error", but here, the request was fulfilled, and now you don't want to read the paper that you asked for.

Here it is again:

Everything you say is very well taken.

I realise I'm dragging us off topic, but here's Wolfe at further length.

The Painted Word Tom Wolfe

'One day in April of 1974, the New York Times reviewed an exhibition of realist art taking place at Yale University. The reviewer, Hilton Kramer, made this observation: “Realism does not lack its partisans, but it does rather conspicuously lack a persuasive theory. And given the nature of our intellectual commerce with works of art, to lack a persuasive theory is to lack something crucial—the means by which our experience of individual works is joined to our understanding of the values they signify.”

The writer Tom Wolfe, reading this, was, by his own description, “jerked alert.” Wolfe understood Kramer to be saying, in Wolfe’s words, “In short: frankly, these days, without a theory to go with it, I can’t see a painting.”'

Collier is such a fantastic science communicator.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I seem to have hit a nerve here but I am not sure why.

I understand with waste of time. If everyone here has the fixed idea that LENR effects are caused by nuclear reactions any explanation of the case for skepticism is a waste of time.

My post may have been obvious - but I don't understand why it would be any of the other things you say. I was expanding on the idea of psychological bias introduced above. In an entirely neutral way. And explaining my own bias. Conspiracy theories are sometimes true - and as I said above LENR has the same "joining the dots" attraction without the demerit of requiring any conscious conspiracy. Though I should point out a few here claim there is such a conspiracy (of hot fusion scientists - I have even incorrectly been labelled one of them) to discredit LENR.

I apologise for speaking so strongly.

There's nothing neutral about suggesting that people who accept LENR are of the same ilk as people who believe in Qanon, or that the moon landing was faked, or that climate change is a hoax.

We're talking about the interpretation of highly technical experimental results; couched in a somewhat unique sociology and history. It's an academic disagreement over the interpretation of evidence.

That's fundamentally different to the kind of thing that conspiracy theorists are up to.

People Drawn to Conspiracy Theories Share a Cluster of Psychological Features
    Baseless theories threaten our safety and democracy. It turns out that specific emotions make people prone to such thinking
    www.scientificamerican.com

I can only conclude that you are angry at the waste of time - but you can keep away from this one thread?

No. It's the comparison. I found it insulting. I'm going to delete my post. We can do without its bluntness - and rudeness.