kirkshanahan Member
  • Member since Oct 8th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by kirkshanahan

This was a stagnant air flow area.

Hate to tell you this Jed, but if that were true Mizuno would be dead from carbon dioxide poisoning. You see, it is ventilation that refreshes the air supply. Completely sealed rooms can have no ventilation, but that's where you get the CO2 (or lack of O2) problem.

There was also no significant free D2 in the headspace

Nope. When the electrolysis power was turned off, the electrode unloaded D2 into an already present mix of water saturated D2 + O2 electrolysis gases. lots of D2 percentage wise. Absolute amount would have to be calculated.

Heat after death was replicated hundreds of times

Nope. Claims of such sure, but no credible accounts.

All of the key variables were documented and reported

Nope.

Any real scientist would do so.

Actually not really. Any real scientist would understand what I have been trying to tell you since 2001.

In a much earlier post Mizuno's bucket of water Wyttenbach

quoted something that seems to appear to be from me. I would like to clarify it is not my words, but Dieter Britz's. See: Mizuno's bucket of water

EDIT:

Just noticed this from my noted post just above:

I note a few inaccuracies in what Rothwell writes here. This is

strange because all this is described in Mizuno's book, and the

English edition was translated by none other than Rothwell himself.

"I" is Dieter Britz, and this supports my contention that others have noted Jed's 'inaccuracies'.

JR just keeps getting more and more confused.

Let's back up the train a bit. JR started all this by bringing up the Mizuno bucket anecdote several months ago. In fact he and I had discussed this on spf in 2001 (or 2). I referenced some of that somewhere here on L-F. Because anomalies are interesting, I did some back-of-the-envelope calculations aimed at assessing what conditions would be required to evaporate the claimed volumes of water in the claimed time frame. I didn't do just one point, I did several, in what is commonly know as a 'parametric study' or a 'sensitivity analysis'. That technique is a simplification of something known as Response Surface Modeling (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…nse_Surface_Modeling_(RSM) ). Choosing values to plug into the equations does NOT mean that these values are being asserted for any specific purpose, other than to get the Response Surface. Jed doesn't understand this because he's not a scientist, and frankly because if he did, he would have to admit I'm not a 'crackpot' as he likes to call me.

One thing I was taught when I was taught to do RSM was to be 'bold' in choosing my parameters. Go outside the box a little and see what you see. Don't unduly restrict yourself. JR and Z see this as 'crazy'. They obviously have never designed an experiment. (BTW, the 'DOE' in the above Wikipedia ref is not the US Dept. of Energy. It stands for 'Design of Experiments', a statistical method to optimize experimental efficiency.)

So to summarize what I found, I quote myself from here: NASA partners with Global Energy Corporation to develop 10kW Hybrid Reactor Generator

"1) A bucket of water with a heater in it placed in a location with high air velocity over it can evaporate in 1 night.

2) A bucket of room temperature water place in a stagnant air flow location will not evaporate overnight."

I also conclude:

"a.) The Mizuno bucket incident was never replicated, so no valid scientific conclusion can be drawn from it." and "e.) Key variables in said equations were not documented in the reported results."

Also, in a post directly above I give a Thermo 101 lesson regarding a >100C object being placed in water.

Given that, let's look at Jed's comments and respond...

The water in the bucket was not boiling. It was hot, and it all evaporated overnight, but it was not boiling. Of course if the cell had been hot enough the water would have boiled, but it wasn't that hot.

Of course, the point of the Thermo 101 lesson was to assert exactly this. The water was not boiling. But it could have been hot. So what is JR rambling about?

It is not an assumption.

Sorry if I was unclear. It was my assumption, way back in 2001 in fact.

Another question arises. If, as you claim, there was an 18 mph wind and other extreme conditions that would make a bucket of water evaporate overnight, why did the water stop evaporating on May 7? Why didn't it continue indefinitely? For that matter, why was there no 18 mph wind when I visited years later?

JR would be correct in saying "you claim, [IF] there was an 18 mph wind and other extreme conditions[,] that would make a bucket of water evaporate overnight,", but the jump to that being what I assert happened in the Mizuno bucket incident is his jump, not mine. I simply was computing evaporation rates under given conditions and comparing to those required to get the Mizuno results. JR tries to imply I am saying things I'm not, which is why he is untrustworthy for those kind of statements. He assumes he can read my mind and know my motivations, even when what I actually say contradicts what he thinks.

As to: "why did the water stop evaporating on May 7? Why didn't it continue indefinitely? " that is part of the anomaly, which I have stated multiple times I cannot explain. So why does JR not just accept my statement on this? Because he feels the need to discredit me, and tries very hard to do so.

As to: "For that matter, why was there no 18 mph wind when I visited years later?" I don't know. Maybe they changed something? Maybe there wasn't that flow rate present? Who knows? Why do you expect me to know this? JR actually expects me to take his word for things without question. He SAID there was no ventilation, so THERE WAS NO ventilation. Sorry JR, your word is no good with me (and others). That's been your problem for years. Shall I dig up the spf comments from others to that effect?

Actually, it would have to be more than 18 mph because the bucket was on the floor, far from the doorway. Also, there were no forced air duct heating and cooling systems in those buildings. Only individual gas heaters in the rooms, and individual air conditioners where needed. Most rooms had no air conditioning.

No problem with this. JR is just doing what I was doing, i.e. thinking through the options and ramifications. The only problem is that when I do this, per JR I am a 'crackpot'. So I guess he is too...:)

JR said:

"Mizuno said the reactor internal temperature was 100 deg C or greater. Not the bucket. As you see in the schematic and photo, the thermocouple was inside the reactor. See also the pen recorder trace. The bucket could not have been at 100 deg C."

Thermo 101:

Water has a phase transition at ~100C. The exact temperature is modifiable by a few degrees by dissolved chemicals. The phase transition is from liquid to gas and is called boiling. Boiling can be obtained by placing a hot enough object in a small enough volume of water (see prior lessons for calculating those quantities), or by heating the water, either externally, as with a pan of water on a stove, or internally, as with placing a heater in the water. The temperature will remain at the phase transition point until all the material has transformed from the initial to the final phase. In the case of the 'hot object' method, it is possible to either a) boil all of the water, b) boil part of the water (leaving the remaining water at <100C), or c) boil none of the water (leaving the remaining water at <100C) (see prior lessons for calculating those quantities).

From http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTnucleartra.pdf :

"April 22, 1991. Electrolysis stopped.

April 25. Mizuno and Akimoto note that temperature is elevated. It has produced 1.2 H 107 joules

since April 22, in heat-after-death. The cell is removed from the underground lab and transferred to Mizuno’s lab. Cell temperature is >100 deg C.

April 26. Cell temperature has not declined. ...

May 7. The cell is finally cool" (emphasis added)

Note that there was an assumption made that the cell was at ~100C or greater on April 22.

The bucket, or the reactor? Do you believe this is true? How do you explain it if so?

See above.

Posting response to Zeus46's continued insults from here: NASA partners with Global Energy Corporation to develop 10kW Hybrid Reactor Generator

And in the comfort of my living room, the "only wind around here" from my perspective is emanating from your good self - the intricacies of your employment history don't figure much into this.

So you confirm that you are calling me a liar because my 'employment history' illustrates the 'why' of why I picked 17 mph as my maximum ventilation rate in my parametric study of the incident. To remind you, the quotes from the post you were responding to with the above comment pointed out your insinuation of lying on my part.

Yes I do. And do you believe this is true? How do you explain it if so?

See points a and b from here: NASA partners with Global Energy Corporation to develop 10kW Hybrid Reactor Generator

And,

Your case of dropping a hot steel object in water is not relevant to my use of 60 and 75C. It is relevant to my use of close to room temp temperatures, which I also reported and which led to point 2 from here: NASA partners with Global Energy Corporation to develop 10kW Hybrid Reactor Generator

So again, you mangle what I say a la JR and get totally confused in the process.

[Addition]

You are wrong to suggest the observed evaporation could be due to known natural causes.

Missed this earlier. Classic strawman, a la the group of 10 authors. I claim it could be due to UNknown natural causes. My whole point in this discussion is that we don't have enough info to assign causes.

No you're not. Your doing the opposite: Starting off with high numbers (60 C), in order to explain abnormal evaporation rates - without being able to justify a number that high.

So, when JR, writing in his 8-page intro that he repeatedly quotes, http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTnucleartra.pdf, writes:

April 25. Mizuno and Akimoto note that temperature is elevated. It has produced 1.2 H 107 joules
    since April 22, in heat-after-death. The cell is removed from the underground lab and transferred to Mizuno’s lab. Cell temperature is >100 deg C.

April 26. Cell temperature has not declined. ...

May 7. The cell is finally cool"

that means that using any temperature over 30C inacurrately represents a possible scenario for the situation? I think you are the one who is unqualified and delusional on top of that! You know that 1000C is '>100C' right? As is 1,000,000C. , etc. etc. Given that highly accurate reporting, I was highly reasonable to use temps of <100C.

Then... when this is pointed out to you, your response is always a long, obfuscating post that addresses every sentence, but somehow avoids answering the main point that your wild guess of 60 C* is nowhere near what's predicted by basic science (broken thermocouple/over-heated reactor or not), and this leads to the collapse of your model.

Do you finally understand that JR says the bucket was at 100C or greater for around 15 days? (Why? Because if the cell was at >100C continuously, the water in the bucket would be heated up to some level much higher that what would be obtained by simply dunking an ~100C 'hot object' in the water. But if at 100C, it would have been boiling right? The water might not be at 100C, because maybe there was some heat loss large enough to give some unknown amount of cooling. (Thermo 101). )

* Or is it now 75 C? - Again, you need to publish your sums, instead of forcing me to reverse-engineer them: More "unscientific" behaviour from yourself. Although at this stage, you are possibly just defiling the corpse - to continue the metaphor.

As I have repeatedly reported, I actually used both 60 and 75C in 'my sums'. And you have already reverse-engineered what I did and posted your spreadsheet of it. So what are you complaining about???

All you are actually doing is proving you are deliberately trying to convince people I am wrong when I'm not.

Ermm, what on earth are you talking about? Not intentionally, if I did.

the only 18mph breeze around here is emanating from your mouth.

The phrasing of the second quote is insulting and implies you disbelieve my assertions of:

Yes. As I reported I worked for 8 years in a nuclear facility with pure tritium. The air hoods I operated in were massive and had a 3300 cfm flow rate associated with them, but all this air was drawn through several long slits near knee-level and I calculated the flowrate there to be ~17 mph, which I then used as my upper limit in flowrates in my exploration of what ventilation rates would do to evaporation rates, which you refuse to acknowledge I did.

CWatters

Gosh this forum is getting boring. Must you lot fill every thread with arguments about a bucket of water?

I 'liked' your comment because I too am bored of these continuous character assassination attempts from JR and Z. I remind all that JR started this one once again by repeating his lie about what I said:

You go around claiming that a bucket of water will evaporate overnight in room temperature conditions,

in what had been a semi-reasonable discussion up to that point.

(I should note that JR is just following the example of his heroes, who wrote that JEM paper he keeps quoting, wherein they misrepresent what I wrote, defeat their misrepresentation, and then claim victory.)

I suggest the mods take all the posts from this thread that respond to JR's post noted above (including that one and this one) and move them to the Mizuno bucket thread...

“This is false, and nonsense. Key conditions were reported in the book, and here, time after time after time.”

OK, so what was the relative humidity at 1207 hours on April 24th in the laboratory where the bucket was? What was the *exact* recorded cell temperature (not ‘>100C’)? What was the *water* temperature at that exact instant? What was the air movement level directly over the bucket at that instant? And (recognizing you will *say* zero) tell us how that number was measured.

“Shanahan ignores these conditions and invents impossible ones. Once again, the conditions were:”

No, Jed. I don’t ‘ignore’ them, I ignore you. The fact is that you make up the needed numbers based on ‘outside average temperatures’, and your ‘guesstimates’ of how those values would be modified by the supposed use of heaters, etc. That’s why what you say is irrelevant to a valid scientific study, in science ‘guesstimates’ don’t count. Yes, they can be used to assess probabilities by conducting a …wait for it… parametric study. But then you have to *do* the experiment, *measure* the important factors, and the *replicate*, meaning ‘get the same results’.

“You can substitute a worst-case test for this. You can test a bucket in a very warm room in the U.S. with a high speed fan or an electric heater. Even with these extreme conditions, there is no way 20 L of water will evaporate overnight.”

That’s not what the equations say. But you don’t trust equations if they contradict what you ‘know’ right Jed?

“You do not need "relative humidity or air flow rates. I told you what they are, but you can ignore me and substitute any values you like, even the most extreme ones. Make the air flow 18 mph if you like. Just do a physical test. You do not need "water temperature, and full details of cell temperature readings in the lab during the incident."”

Yes, we do, if we want to understand the possibilities. You told us what you guessed they were. I don’t limit myself to that. And, ‘substituting any values I like’ is what a parametric study is all about. But you don’t comprehend that do you. And BTW, ‘your’ values are incorporated in ‘my’ study.

“You have told us what you think the water temperature was: room temperature. There was no heat according to you. You think the water was not hot.”

Not what I said. Once again, you fabricate.

“Okay, test it that way. Make the room temperature anything you like from 10 to 30 deg C.”

I actually went up to 75C since I realized the water might be hot at some point since the stainless steel was supposedly hot when Mizuno dunked it. You keep missing that point too. This clearly shows you are fabricating statements about what I wrote. You should stop that, it ruins your credibility.

“Test an actual bucket of water at those temperatures.”

Why would I need to do that when I believe the ‘swimming pool equations’ (as does Zeus46)? Do you think I would get something different from that? Why?

“Ignore the actual conditions in Sapporo.”

What were those *exactly* by the way, *at the bucket*. No guessing.

“Put in a powerful fan even though there was none. Whatever conditions you test, you will not be able to evaporate the whole bucket overnight.”

Oh, I’m pretty sure I could…hurricane force wind speed, 1 Terawatt heater…you did say ‘whatever’ right?

“There is not the slightest chance the room was hot or that an 18 mph wind was blowing across the bucket.”

So you say. But it’s not a really relevant point, if you understand what I was doing and what I wrote. Of course you don’t, so we get your garbage posts. You I can understand, you’re not a scientist, but a fanatic CF advocate, so your rants are understandable from that POV.

“I spent weeks in this room, and years in similar Japanese national university rooms. A scenario with a strong wind or heat is out of the question. Anyone who has attended class or worked in postwar buildings of that era will know that the temperature is around 15 deg C. People wore two sweaters, a muffler and maybe an overcoat. The lights were off at night, everything was shut down, and there was no wind of any sort. Even in buildings with HVAC they were always turned off at night, to save money.”

I’m so sorry for you. That building I worked in in S. Carolina for 8 years got a little cold in the winter due to the high air flow. HVAC had trouble keeping up. Not as bad as you describe but I did usually wear lab coats to keep warm…

“There were not a "few temperatures" reported. I uploaded the pen recorder trace for the whole test and the first three days of heat after death, from the book. That's a continuous analog report.”

3 days out of 15. Yep, pretty continuous there.

“This is how everyone in Japan dressed in Dec. 1975. That's me, wearing two sweaters and tucked into a table with blanket over it and an electric heater underneath it (a kotatsu). They did not have central heating in most houses and buildings, and no insulation, and there was none in Mizuno's lab or any other lab or classroom I was in. It was a lot colder in the labs overnight.”

Good for them, but irrelevant here.

You just don’t (won’t) get it do you? I have no idea why you feel the need to ‘assassinate my character’ or perhaps ‘assassinate my qualifications’, but you certainly are trying hard, and you’ve learned the JR tactics well!

“So to confirm, you are now claiming there is a 'heater' in the bucket, that could raise the water temperature beyond 20-30 degrees?

Then whole discussion of this subject was predicated on the assumption (NOTE: *ASSUMPTION*) that the reported temperatures were incorrect, probably due to a faulty thermocouple. Not a catastrophically failed thermocouple, but one that was producing false readings. THEREFORE, I theoretically investigated the claims by trying to see what it would take w.r.t. evaporation rates to get the reported results, RECOGNIZING my point a. THUS, I never said there was no heater. I did say I was trying to see what placing a ‘hot object’ in said bucket would do, and JR, followed by you, started screaming about how it wasn’t that it was a HEATER. In other words, the hot object-heater debate is another JR fabrication. Please stop promulgating it.

“Although this heater isn't due to LENR, it's due to some anomalous, undefined and previously unknown process?”

The fact is we don’t know for sure there was any heating going on on a continuous basis as would be obtained from a heater because it was NEVER REPLICATED (point a again)! IF there happened to truly be heating going on, this incident gives no indication why. Because there was NO REPLICATION.

“Sounds like ATER revisited. Classic!”

No. There are numerous reports in the literature that are consistent with ATER w.r.t F&P electrolysis cells. The Mizuno bucket incident was NEVER REPEATED. Not the same.

“RE your (a) - (q): I'm with you up to (n), probably. I say probably because we've never seen your sums yet, despite several requests.”

Character assassination again. Let me remind you I have said repeatedly in this very thred that I completely agree with the equations ‘you’ posted in ‘your’ spreadsheet. So, to get ‘my’ sums, all ‘you’ have to do is plug ‘my’ values for the parameters in the equations into ‘your’ spreadsheet on ‘your’ computer, and out will pop ‘my’ sums. I can’t believe you are this dumb, so I am forced to assume this misrepresentation of my writings is deliberate and ‘with malice aforethought’. Why?

“And I particularly agree with your point (h), - that assumed values need to be reasonable.”

Of course, but (i) is the issue isn’t it, especially when you deliberately seek to discredit me.

“Which directly contravenes (m), where you say some "sets of parameters imply an elevated water temperature for some period of time".”

Obviously there is no contravention since the problem is that you chose to misconstrue what I said for your own reasons (point q).

“The only way this could happen is due to a lethally high air temperature, or a breakdown in the laws of physics. Or a 'heater' in the bucket, perhaps.”

Unwarranted sarcasm, due to your deliberate choice to misunderstand what I’ve said.

“But at this stage, this is a pointless discussion. As I said, lets see your sums: Put up or shut up - It's really that simple.”

I’ve ‘put up’, now you ‘shut up’.

“...Thermodynamics is a science, not an art - and without seeing your calcs, the only 18mph breeze around here is emanating from your mouth. (Via your fingers, of course).”

Another ad hom of course. You imply I lied about where I used to work. Doesn’t matter, because it’s ‘my’ parameter and *I* get to choose them as *I* see fit. You can dislike all you want, but I gave my *reason* for doing so. For you to disagree is to claim I fabricated numbers. Again, why do you feel the need to do that?

“If someone assumes there's continuous output from a 'heater' in the bucket, they can argue for whatever water temperature they like.”

Exactly, so when one is examining the ramifications of that, one must use more than a very narrow band of temperatures. Ditto for other important parameters like air flow rate, relative humidity, etc.

“When you assume there is no continuous heat output in the bucket,” …

Completing that thought:

…you assume there is no LENR. Yes, that is correct, that assumption means no LENR, but of course you would still not explain the anomalous results doing that. Now, assuming no LENR is ONE set of test parameters in determining the span of evaporation rates, but it is not all the possibilities

“a line in the 'water-temperature' sand is immediately drawn by nature. You could, if you wanted, and were able, calculate where this line is. It's somewhere below 30C. You[r] failure to understand this, even now - as evidenced by your above statement, despite several very simple explanations - is blatantly ridiculous, and leaves you open to some well deserved ridicule. “

I don’t ‘fail to understand that’ Zeus. You fail to acknowledge what I have written in the multitudinous posts responding to your and JR’s silly statements about what I have written. Try getting with the program.

“Everyone's allowed the occasional howler, and apparently yourself more than most, but if you repeatedly make the same mistake, in my book, that's the very definition of dumbness. It's not an ad-hom to say this - it's fact - and should be pointed out, if only for your own sake.”

I think you’ve got the wrong book there Zeus. I see no mistake being made here by me. All I see is you consistently (and seemingly deliberately, since I have told you this many times) misinterpreting what I have said. I really can’t make you stop doing that, all I can do is tell you your messing up.

But as I said, I think it is pretty much clear you are doing this deliberately. Why I can’t say. So let me be as clear as I can regarding this whole kerfluffle. This will be my last word on the subject.

a.) The Mizuno bucket incident was never replicated, so no valid scientific conclusion can be drawn from it.

b.) The reported results are anomalous. This is interesting. It may stimulate some people to action, i.e. experimentation. That’s their choice.

c.) In attempting to understand the reported results, it is clear that evaporation is a key process.

d.) Equations exist to allow computation of said evaporation rates. They serve as a starting point for discussion.

e.) Key variables in said equations were not documented in the reported results. Specifically missing are relative humidity, air flow rates, water temperature, and full details of cell temperature readings in the lab during the incident.

f.) Likewise missing is any information about what was done to verify the few temperature readings reported.

g.) Of course, assumptions can be made about the missing key variables.

h.) The assumed values need to be ‘reasonable’.

i.) It is clear different ‘definitions’ of what is reasonable exist.

j.) Given the above, a span of missing parameters should be examined to see what is consistent and inconsistent with reported results.

k.) Getting more specific now, the equations supplied by Zeus46 are identical to those used by kirkshanahan.

l.) The span of parameters used by Zeus46 and kirkshanahan are not equivalent, kirkshanahan’s span is larger.

m.) Some sets of parameters used by kirkshanahan produce evaporation rates consistent with reported results, and those sets of parameters imply an elevated water temperature for some period of time.

n.) Some sets of parameters used by kirkshanahan produce evaporation rates inconsistent with reported results, but consistent with what a ‘bucket of water’ sitting in an ‘unventilated room’ might be expected to show.

o.) Given n, m, k, e, and most importantly a, it is pointless to expect a resolution to the anomalous results.

p.) However, for some unknown and unexplained reason, Zeus46 and JedRothwell (and bocijn) seem to disagree with o.

q.) Zeus46, JedRothwell, and previously, bocijn refuse to understand a-o.

“Basically, you repeatedly ignore nearly 200 years of science all to protect your own ego. This makes me laugh, and that spills over into ridicule. Yes, I know this doesn't exactly help you from an ego standpoint. But you need to let go of that, if you ever plan on attaining nirvana - or just appearing competent, really.”

Recognizing point q above, this comment is ridiculous, and is nothing but a personal attack.

Yes. Obviously that is what Mizuno's cell would have done if the recombiner and relief value had failed. It would not build up vast amounts of chemical energy in the form of free D2 and O2 gas, contrary to what you said. It would not build up much at all. After an hour or so, the relief valve would blow out, or the whole cell would explode the way Bockris' did.

L-F folks, this comment by JR shows a complete lack of understanding of the hazards associated with operating F&P electrolysis setups. Please don't trust his word on this. He is wrong, and if you are running electrolysis based experiments, please do so anticipating your setup will blow up as described in the Andrew Riley case.

A couple of cases in point:

From Mizuno's bucket of water

"No one could have disturbed the cell or dumped the water in his absence. No one else had access to the lab. It was during a national holiday. He is the only one who entered the lab. It was locked and secured. This was in the Nuclear Engineering Building in a National University. It was a secure building with lots of expensive equipment, heavy machinery, radiation danger signs, heavy doors, badge access, 24-hour guards, etc."

and

I am pretty sure a locked, guarded facility designed to contain nuclear research experiments and radiation was a lot safer! The place had shields, steel plates, gloves, glove boxes and radiation detectors galore.

but from above:

In every hallway, there was a designated person who was supposed to check all rooms before leaving (a professors, who had the keys).

So, now we have a _new_ question: Heater on or off? Proof of that?

_AND_

You claim that a cell left in open air will not cool down.

*I* never said that. Must've been you. But it does prove my points about you not understanding and then quoting mixed up facts driven by your fanaticism.

from JR's 8 page intro:

since April 22, in heat-after-death. The cell is removed from the underground lab and transferred to Mizuno’s lab. Cell
    temperature is >100 deg C. " (emphasis added)

Also,

That is where the cell was in open air and remained hot for 3 days.

Also, the whole idea of the water evaporation JR points to is that he thinks the cell stayed hot for many more days. "May 7. The cell is finally cool. "

So, based on that, I should have been using 100C in my sensitivity analysis, but I didn't, I used 75 and 60 to allow for some cooling, which Jed says I disallow. But, but...to allow for cooling I can't claim that "a cell left in open air will not cool down". There he (JR) goes again....

It would not have run for months.

From the sidebar that Jed obviously didn't read:

"The experiment had been going on for some time over 1,000 hours. "

because the relief valve would have vented the gas.

" perhaps the holes were not sufficiently large to act as adequate vents"

"The recombiner from that cell has decomposed into small spherical balls containing bits of platinum. This would indicate the violence of the explosion, but nothing about the functioning of the recombiner beforehand. "

From: https://www.nytimes.com/1992/0…old-fusion-scientist.html

"that the surviving scientists told investigators that an automatic pressure-release valve was not functioning properly on a canister being used in an experiment and that the explosion occurred when one of them tried to release the pressure manually."

From https://www.nytimes.com/1992/0…old-fusion-scientist.html

"The blast at SRI International, which injured three others, occurred after an automatic pressure-release valve failed on a sealed canister, fire officials said."

And just as a further caution: From https://www.newscientist.com/a…-cold-fusion-laboratory/:

"Bockris says 30 or 40 such explosions have occurred in his laboratory. In most cases, they forced the top off the steel cell; six times, the bottom blew out."

The points are: Devices fail. And it was at least thought to be a prime contributor to the death at the time. I personally am unsure if this remained true. McKubre put out a report once that had an analysis of the event. Part of it was on microfiche (remember that?) and included a finite element analysis of the scenario. But I don't recall if they decided the valve failed or if the pressure buildup was too fast for the vent system to handle.

Also, the cell was doing electrolysis, so there was significant H2(D2) and O2 in the cell volume, in contrast to what Jed said.

Don't listen to him, especially here on this issue, folks!

If you do not trust this is the room, you have no reason to trust anything else I say.

Other way 'round...

It would have to be considerably stronger than 17 mph, because as described in the book, Mizuno put the cell in a sheltered part of the floor behind a steel sheet. The wind throughout the entire building would have to be 40 or 50 mph.

Yup, total lack of understanding on your part, as expected.

They used gas and kerosene heaters for heating, and opened the windows to ventilate in summer.

And you think those don't induce air flow?

You claim that a cell left in open air will not cool down.

*I* never said that. Must've been you. But it does prove my points about you not understanding and then quoting mixed up facts driven by your fanaticism.

Again, I suggest you test your ideas by putting an bucket of water in an ordinary room. You can put a fan in front of it if you want, even though there was no fan in this case. You will see that 10 or 20 L of water do not evaporate overnight.

Don't need to. I've evaporated many solutions in the past by blowing air over them. Variable rates were always noted. One has to specify details to predict accurately, not make the obviously erroneous claims you make about NO ventilation.

All of your comments are nonsense.