FreethinkerLenr2 Verified User
  • Member since Oct 13th 2014

Posts by FreethinkerLenr2

Suggest moving the high-temp TC's so insulation wouldn't melt, ie. fewer/no loops around tube.

Thanks for the suggestion.

However I have been running quite many tests to find the best setup for me.

I have had quite high surface temperature on that alumina, and they have not melted yet ;)

But If I am going to crank it up some more I will have other TC and will consider other mounting.

Hi.

I have managed to squeeze in some analyzing and going over some data. My current experiment has now seen three wasted coils but the reactor itself appear to maintain pressure (have not checked today though).

Here is a link to some analysis of the first day of the current experiment, where the LAH was exercised and possibly some loading occurred.

I will do the analysis of the 20150801 soon, a busy day where two coils burned. .... and odd pressure spikes were seen right about when that happened - in both cases....

Hi.

I am getting started with my own replication attempts, and to give you a picture of what I am doing I have written a small doc

https://t.co/Ln4kpn2sfD

And made a little video as well

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If anyone could point out the flaws in the reactor design (I'm assuming there are probably a few, I know there are several grammatical errors I must fix for a fact) that would be greatly appreciated!

I applause your effort, and I cannot see anything immediate wrong from a test perspective, but to add some hints or warnings that come to mind.

1. LAH, LiALH4, is a non trivial compound, both to acquire, but more so in handling. It is not to be trifled with. Make sure you have someone in your surroundings that understand the implications.

2. Same goes for high Mesh Ni powder. It is not to be trifled with. It has to be handled with care and insight, as to avoid undue exposure, which can, in extremes, lead to death. Again, make sure you have people around you that understand the implications, and that you have proper equipment to handle it (glove box or other similar chem lab equipment that keeps you from inhaling the stuff, and spreading it into your environment.).

Note that both compounds are NOT good for the general environment, as it will have serious negative effects to anything biological. Hence you need to avoid releasing it also outside your own close environment. Consider this if there are any spill of these compound while handling them.

3. Pressure. I do believe that a major condition to actually have a positive outcome (as the H2 needs to be loaded into the Ni lattice of the particles in the Ni powder), is that the tube where your reactor tube does hold the pressure. Not only the pressure of the air trapped in the reactor, that will increase about linearly as you heat up, but the pressure from H2 being released from LAH as it goes into the 150-200C zone ,and later at 400C. If it the seal breaks, and the tube vent while under that operation, you may inadvertently release some amounts of the fuel into your environment. In your case, it would mean the oven, so maybe not really so big a problem, but still. Keep it under consideration, and do test the tube for pressure specs before running. Note that Hydrogen is notoriously difficult to hold down, so the seal must be pretty good.

4. Ceramic and machining. When you talk about a "pre-drilled hole" in the ceramic, note that machining for example Alumina requires some special tools, diamond machining and CO2 lasers to mention a couple I found on the net. If you on the other hand have the tube prefabricated from some firm specializing in ceramic products, the they can do the hole.

Otherwise I would more put this setup in the Brian Ahern's domain, rather than Parkhomov's, as you use an oven to heat.

Best of luck. :)

A few days ago I finished installing and testing a 2 kVA heater power isolation transformer. It seems to work well and eliminates the leakage current in the TC ground circuit. One surprise came in a second test which melted the type K TC in the core (1400+°C). A summary report has been added to the GS3 open archive:
    https://drive.google.com/open?…xJkjesxe4kNVh5WEt3cVEyOUk

AlanG

:)
    I volunteer my own experience running with a 0.5 mm diam Kanthal A1 coil, diam 8mm , length 85mm, where I managed to melt not only my NiCr based special alloy 1435C limit TC, mounted through the end of the pipe and in physical contact with the pipes inside, but the empty SS container as well, that was inside the Alumina reactor pipe. Max power in was 130V and 4.7 A at 100% duty cycle of the controlling SSR, translating into an effect of 611W. Now note, that we have here a runaway while a the coil is collapsing so likely the drawn current was more at failure (did not have data logging, as this was my first calib run and aimed at getting the temperature readings logged properly). It could not be significantly larger than 10A for more than a fraction of time, because the fusing is 10A.

I would say that the electrical behavior if the alumina/mullite at temps at 1000C would be such that they actually are to be understood and reckoned with.

I am only modestly experience with vacuum degassing. But I believe this is not exceedingly difficult. The pressure advocated there is low but not quite ultra low. that is it is above 10^-7 torr. Further, the use of some other purge gas that will not react with or strongly bind the nickel sites will greatly accelerate clearing the atmospheric gases (perhaps helium--- if that does not cause other problems). Also, a higher range of temperature will help, that is no less than 500 C---. The main thing is to drive nitrogen off the active sites, such as they may be. One should be able to get to very low residual nitrogen and oxygen levels in this way, far lower than the usual high vacuum with modest heat alone. Ion beam etching of the surfaces may be another related option.

Thanks for the input, although it is clear to me, that whatever way of purging the active sites must be a method that is integral to the the main process of running the reactor, or maybe more specifically the loading the hydrogen. What I mean is, that it seem to me to be an uphill battle to have a process separate to clear out impurities, and maintain that high state of cleaness in the time before the powder is mixed with LAH and entered into the reactor. May I suggest that the pressure of the LAH released H2 in the range 150-200 C, would be a reasonable environment, paired with the increased temperature to 350-500C (400-500C also see release of H2 from LAH), to help purge impurities, as the relative partial pressure of say nitrogen would be very much lower than that of H2 in the cavity. The hydrogen would insistently pound the door, and nitrogen have some measure of affinity to leave, so to speak.

Or do you find this reasoning backwards or plain wrong? :)

Quoting from the patent from Peter Gluck's Comment:
    "bringing hydrogen into contact with said clusters and controlling its pressure and speed, preferably after applying vacuum cycles of at least 10-9 bar between 350° and 500°C for degassing the clusters"

Out of curiosity ;) and because you seem well rooted in the trade, what would degas 1-50 micron particles, in particular? Would you have a reference? I am asking, since the 10^-9 bar is a tall order to uphold, and at those temperatures, especially if we talk off the shelf stuff for diy guys.

FreethinkerLenr2: could you measure the DC resistance of the alumina tube through its thickness and make a plot of its value vs temperature? Can you detect the voltage applied to the resistor wire at high temperature? Have a read at this for reference: https://docs.google.com/docume…ARjlOpZoqg6ngbmLq83w/edit

+1 for your own dedicated replication thread, btw.

I will consider a thread when I have something worth while sharing, right now I have not.

No, the experiment you describe is not in scope for what I intend, at least not currently. Besides, the resistivity as a function of temperature as such is known, and something that must be factored in for high temperatures, so some spill over is bound to happen. Having 1-10 amps running through the coil, in retrospect, it is not so strange to find leak currents of mA, at 1000C or more, that may interfere with a TC inside the reactor, or the fuel itself.

We see what the future brings 8)

FreethinkerLenr2, I'm glad you are progressing.
    I just noticed that you are replicating too, may be because your updates are scattered everywhere in your comments. I recommend that you also start a new thread about your work, so we can keep track of it in one place. This way more people can read and assist you. Add a lot of pictures. :thumbup:

:D

I know. I see how it shows, when I read my text again. I cannot help myself, I need to tell the world that I too is fiddling with alumina tubes and Kanthal coils.

But I am nowhere near me356 in replication yet. I am looking into getting a stable reactor environment so I later can apply fuel. I take security very seriously, and I am still perfecting my DIY glove box so I can fuel my SS containers in a safe manner. I am still weeks away from any serious, fueled, try.

I have a space, a space that was turned into a crude workshop, but that is now almost transformed into a lab. I am getting there. When I have arrived I will share that progress, one way or another.

To be honest. I find this annoying.

Where is Brian Ahern at? Would it not be prudent to give some feedback on the experiments, if nothing else to indicate that it did not work out as planned, and that he is now moving on?

Sure. I realize, he does not owe me anything, and he does not owe the readers of this site anything.

Nevertheless ...

Could you guys, who have such impressive badges in these fora, and who know how to contact him, do so and ask?

Next week everything needed for the calibration test should arrive.
    I am really curious how it will work.

In two weeks Swagelok fittings should arrive too, so this time reactor could be really leak-free.
    I hope that with this setup it will be possible to perform many experiments. Failure possibility should be minimal now.

I am using Swagelok fittings too on my tubes. I have found it to be less than easy to apply the fitting to the pipe using the SS ferrules. This is likely more related to my ineptitude handling this equipment, than it is the fault of the fitting.To date I have not been able to get my (rather crude, 1-250bar) transducer to present data that seem indicating that the pressure is holding. I have also received a few aluminum ferrules, but being as it is with the melting point for that element, they seem more appropriate to apply a bit away form the hot spot of the reactor, where I attach the transducer. In the other end I have a fitting with a SS ferrule, a stop plug with a TC and ceramic paste plugging it the TC pass through.

At any rate, just my 25 cent worth:

Be very careful when mounting the fitting on the ceramic tube, and by all means, get a small stock of ferrules, aluminum too, if applicable. You may need to reuse the fitting a few times. With that said, I like the Swagelok products, and will continue to use them. Just a matter of getting used to applying it and to not force the wrench too hard, while following the guidelines of mounting ....

Resistance is 2,5 Ohms at 1000°C.

Well, for my own situation and considerations.... I do not know your electrical power situations...

I have a limit (self imposed; true max is 10) of 8 A driving my reactor. Considering a direct drive via a transformator, 0-260 V, a resistance of 2.5 ohms would give you a max voltage over the coil of 20V, which in turn implied as maximum deployed power of 160W for heating. I used a 1mm diam coil (with generous turn separation) of 2.2 ohms, and I never managed to get the outside shell temperature over 450C. I had full duty cycle on my SSR, and landed somewhere about 130W. I switched to 0.5mm Kanthal A1, and have a resistance of about 30 ohms in my coils, with this I reached desired temperatures. In the case of SiC, naturally, you have some 2-5 times higher resistance at the onset, but at operational temperatures it will be 2.5 ohms.

I am just thinking: Will you be able to deploy ample electrical power to reach 1000C and more with your setup?

Well, molten lithium will not take kindly to water or vapor in the air, but as far as alumina is concerned I think it is ok to use it as crucible to melt lithium in an reasonable atmosphere. Found one reference on this at http://luxel.com/wp-content/up…ible-Selection-Rev2.2.pdf

At any rate, the energies found surpass by order of magnitude(s) anything produced by any chemical reaction, the duration of the successful runs is not indicative to a sudden, short lived and violent production of energy (like you describe the event) and there is also the isotope changes in composition that point in another direction than an oxidation-reduction reaction.

Also, I imagine, when he had that lab accident, it was likely more Li there than would be produced by heating 100mg of LiAlH4.

.... STOP we forgot about electromagnetic field. Well but heater coil is not most efficient way to generate such other ways everyone would make inductive coils with Kanthal wires and we would be able to cook some food on our stereos and TV. :D

About EM and magnetic fields. I am looking into a setup to use Hall elements and small coils in a course grid around the reactor to measure changes, using an Arduino Uno. It would be an interesting complement on all power and thermal data being registered.

... BUT with COP of 400 even disabled one handed low IQ baboon can stitch with super glue and duct tape half working Stirling engine and LET BE THE LIGHT.

Amen.

.... I should quit smoking weed at some point..... :)

Well, each to his own.... Whatever you are doing right now, it is inspiring to me, no matter what fuel you are on. Just go easy on the juice, though :D

Be safe.

Thanks. :D

I had put the device into its box, preparing to send it back. I took it out, to give it one last chance and check your stuff.

Apparently, it was all about turning it off and on (removing the battery). I book this as an unique glitch on first startup. It now seem to work, and I no longer see the bit error on lsb, and at quick glance the set emissivity seem correct, FFFF preamble is there and AA as packet end. Amazing how simply things one will disregard when checking the error. in spite of half a lifetime of experience. I tried almost everything, except pulling the power....

Will not return the unit. It is a marvel for that price 8)

@me356

You did purchase this device, yes? Have you managed to decode the data yet? Could you share? I did find one reference, andI think my device has a fault. Need to sort it out.

When extracting data on my /dev/ttyUSB0 I get readilly data, but in every byte the LSB is 0. The PREAMBLE should be FF FF but I get FE FE.... Likely need to return it. :/ Would just like to get your take on it.

Now, Free my friend. You have completely misinterpreted me.

I do not seek appreciation. I seek to understand the facts of reality. A concept not familiar to you, I think.

And I will not go away that easily. We have a special relationship, you and me.

^^ No, I am very sure I do not misinterpret you even the slightest. You have since long shown your true face to me and all others who follow this subject.

:thumbup: Yes.... you and I have a special relationship.... :nono: or then again that is just an expression of that vivid imagination of yours.

Hi Free! You are right, I may have mental problems. Otherwise, why would I waste my time ranting and conversing with ignoramuses.

Nevertheless the word reactor, seems to me, should refer to installments that actually do something and have a purpose. Opposite to what you use the word for.

Your mental problems aside, you have a misconception regarding the word reactor, I'm sure.

If you premeditated enter into an enclosed volume some materials, with the aim to attempt them to react, then said enclosed volume is a reactor. And that is unrelated to external observers perception as to the validity of the purpose. Most people would agree on this interpretations. Maybe people who is negatively opinionated about the purpose, and blinded by that opinion, may choose to have a different interpretation, like yourself.

Again, why don't go elsewhere where your negative thinking is better appreciated?