At ICCF18, Edmund storm presented his theory in this paper:
This theory is based on few conservative assumptions, based on known physics and observations :
- CF cannot occur in a “normal” material but requires formation of a unique condition called
a nuclear-active-environment (NAE).
He propose it is vacancies, cracks...
- The heat energy and nuclear products are produced by the same basic process operating in
the same NAE.
Because having many independent never observed phenomenons is too improbable...
- Cold fusion is not hot fusion.
Observation eliminate the possibility of usual hot fusion with massive tritium and neutron prduction. Cold Fusion is fusing hydrogen without neutrons, and even without energetic gamma.
- The explanation must apply to each method for producing cold fusion and the resulting
Because it is too improbable to have more than one mechanism newly discovered...
- No Law of Nature is violated.
Thermodynamic laws are respected, conservation of momentum, probabilities...
Edmund Storms propose that the NAE is cracks, where hydrogen forms "Hydroton" a kind of metalic hydrogen chain, where electrons are mostly between the adjacents nucleus, screening electrostatic charge. Hydroton can also oscillate and dissipate energy by discrete quanta. Oscillation maye bring nucleus nearer and allow fusion (including the electron between). energy is dissipated then by the hydroton as various photons. The chain may oscillate in a coherent way allowing periodically fusion...
He also discuss of an engineering model of a LENR reactor, with temperature to power function, and possible working zone...
He propose how to test the model:
The model can be tested as follows:
- The tritium production rate can be related to the D/H atom ratio in the material. When pure H is used, the rate will start at zero and increase with time as deuterium is made and fuses with the surrounding H. The concentration of deuterium and 4He will also increase as energy is made.
- Weak photon radiation can be detected when CF energy is made, which has a large range of energy, with most photons having too little energy to leave the apparatus. The radiation is expected to have coherent characteristics.
- The CF effect can be initiated as a result of nano-sized crack formation, generally in the surface region as a result of stress relief. This stress can be created many different ways in many different materials.
- The rate of energy production can be described by Equation 1
Even if I am careful about theory since many theoretical deception, I feel that this one capture many key ideas.
He take into account the chemical context.
The behavior of hydroton as he describe it, resonate with Widom-Larsen (avoiding key errors).
However I don't know critics on hydroton...
It also explain the RF claims, and why not some magnetic fields...
Why not, but at least a very interesting approach and many warnings about other theories.