Early E-Cat Test Witnessed By Former DARPA Director Tony Tether (New Energy Times)

• Official Post

[feedquote='E-Cat World','http://www.e-catworld.com/2016/07/06/early-e-cat-test-witnessed-by-former-darpa-director-tony-tether-new-energy-times/']There’s a document posted on the New Energy Times website in which Steven Krivit posts some emails between himself and Tony Tether, former director of DARPA, who attended an early demonstration of an E-Cat by Andrea Rossi. The email exchange starts in June 2011, and the last message from Tether is from March 2016. You […][/feedquote]

• Tony Tether:

The experiment measured input electrical power (400 watts I believe), the flow rate of water and the temperature rise of the output to the input of the water. There was a hydrogen source into the device and the mass of the hydrogen was being measured to make sure that burning the hydrogen was not a source of heat. The experiment went on for hours until we all got tired looking at it. The input electrical energy to increased heat energy output was 25 (may be off a bit here but nothing that would change the conclusion) and the fact that this was true over many hours negated that some chemical reaction was the cause.

(from the original emails)

Of course, one can't be sure how Rossi did this (in 2009). But for sure, if it were real, we wouldn't be doubled over with laughter at Rossi's QuarkX now. We'd be awash in ecat space heaters by the billions. Rossi would be rich and famous. So what fooled Tony Tether, "former director of Arpa"? Well, he was only partly fooled and any number of methods could have been used. I don't pretend to be a sleight of hand expert but the things that can be altered in this sort of test, where the observer has no control over anything, are legion.

For openers, input power metering could be wrong, input wiring could be wrong (the "cheese" video of Tinsel Koala), flow metering could be bad, the output thermocouple could be sitting on the electrical heater (my favorite hypothesis) etc. etc. etc. Or any combination of those. And absent control of input power and of the output power measurement, even attempts at calibration could be overridden by clever methods. So Mr. Tether's opinion is absolutely worthless. I am surprised and somewhat shocked he ventured one instead of noting what a terrible set up Rossi had.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.