Some Points Regarding a Recent Presentation at ICCF20 on the ‘Lugano Report’ (Rainer Rander)

The adjusted Temperature for Lugano is calculated as following:With Ecat T=1250C and ε1 = .41 adjusted to ε2 = .90 then E-Cat T=896C ! (Formula according Optris manual (ε1/ε2)1/3* T measured in Kelvin.)this gives roughly 2.85 times less energy than measured, which finally is corrected by the higher bandemissivity at the lower T.ε = 0.6 as you propose is to high for 900C. This would give a power reduction of less than 2. ( you should also care that the convection is reduced somewhat less..)

This derivation is I'm afraid now very confused. e=0.6 refers to the total emissivity. I've no idea what this Optris formula is except it most certainly does not address the matter of n - this number cannot be linear with T (as you can see from Optris's own graph that you posted). There will be no clarity for you until you stop trying to interpret manufacturer's data and getting this wrong, and work out yourself from first principles what is what here. Paradigmnoia, I, and (it seems from his paper) TC have all done this.

Clarke used theory to correct the temperature based on a presumably better estimate of emissivity, but it was still that, an estimate. He used an exponent of 1, based on his own mathematics, referring to the variation of camera measurement with temperature (where, above, an exponent of 4 was proposed, clearly incorrect, then a value of 3 was taken from an Optris explanatory graph, clearly not intended to give a precise value, Paradhgmnoia came up with 1.6, and we have no agreement, and there are variables that are unknown, acknowledged by all, included the exact material.

It needs some care to get these things right. We are now nearly there, but...

TC did not use an exponent of 1. He said the exponent value was much lower than 4, and roughly 1 (in fact this is a minor mistake - but it does not anywhere affect his work because he does not use it). He did the numerical calculations ab initio - and if you look at his figures you get an exponent of roughly 1.6, same as Paradignnoia. Since the exponent can only be worked out from this numerical calculation it is irrelevant.

I need to reiterate: n (the exponent) as a derived quantity calculated from the Planck curve as applied in this case. TC integrates the Planck curve directly weighted by typical bolometer characteristics and iterates to get the correct temperatures form the given data. This does not use the value of n.

There is no disagreement about this theory. Except (possibly) from Wyttenbach who is still trying to make sense of what Optris says.

As for accuracy: true - this reanalysis relies on the band emissivity and total emissivity of alumina. There is some variation in both (and some other issues, see TC's paper). But don't throw out the baby with the bath water. This method is unlikely to be inaccurate by more than 30%. That is better accuracy when we have ever before had testing Rossi's devices! Of course IH will have their own much more accurate tests.

• This business about "Aramco."

Jack Cole wrote:

Sirs ! Be serious if you are able ! No page of the Optris manual say to use "Aramco paint"( Aramco actually seems to be a company related to Oil extraction en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Aramco)
    instead on page 71 and 72 Optris manual suggest to use their reference dots or a not well specified black paint.The Lugano team used the reference dots and successfully measured the emissivity of the Alumina pipes.

This was merely a typo. Aremco. The brand is not mentioned in the Optris manual, and there is more than one manual. The IR Basics guide just says ""a band or color with a known emissivity," and then refers to this as "band or paint." The reference was to a calibration at 1000 C. (This was not from the MFMP paper, but from a comment on E-Catworld, quoted here: Some Points Regarding a Recent Presentation at ICCF20 on the ‘Lugano Report’ (Rainer Rander))

The Lugano team used dots and measured the emissivity of "pipes" at far lower temperature, not 1000 C. The IR Basics manual does not suggest using dots.

The camera manual is at http://www.optris.com/thermal-…Manuals/Englisch/Infrared Cameras/Manual optris PI.pdf
    It mentions dots:

If you monitor temperatures of up to 380 °C you may place a special plastic sticker (emissivity dots – Part No.: ACLSED) onto the measuring object, which covers it completely.

(The meaning of "covers it completely" is unclear.) Without being very clear that this is for higher temperatures, the camera manual then has:

Cove[r] a part of the surface of the measuring object with a black, flat paint with an emissivity of 0.98. Adjust the emissivity of your infrared thermometer to 0.98 and take the temperature of the colored surface.

As the brand of paint is not specified, this is where I'd call the manufacturer. The Aremco paint does not necessarily have an emissivity of 0.98, the manufacturer says it greater than 0.9. How MFMP determined the emissivity of this paint, I don't know, but what it is good for is high temperature. There is a paint with an emissivity of 1.00, "optical black." But I doubt it would handle high temperature.

However, on the face of it, MFMP nailed the matter by using the pyrometer. This is what Greenyer wrote:

7. We used a Williamson IR dual-band spot pyrometer ($11,000 tool considered by all in the heat treatment industry to be the only effective and accurate way to measure the temperature of Alumina over a wide range of temperatures since it correctly adjusts emissivity based on years of research at MIT as the Alumina temperature varies) This agreed with our B-Type, K-Type and Optris (when Optris set to 0.95)

Reading the paper, though, "agreed with" is a bit loose. The B and K thermocouples were not solidly heat-sinked to the alumina, but merely tied on with kanthal wire. So they were quite a bit cooler. Still, using the pyrometer appears to be sound. If it were important -- it actually isn't -- I'd want to see a more solid calibration, if possible, and it seems that it could be done.

The camera manual does indicate emissivity of 0.95, but not for "alumina" and not on "page 42" as Greenyer had written. It's on page 76, and it is for "ceramic."

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Ha ha ha Dear Abdul,

Abd, Zero.

Mixing up a lot of bad reasoning and second hand opinions you arrive to a wrong conclusion. Is interesting that your only reference is the TC "paper".

Nope. this kind of lying is common for tolls, who will deny what is completely obvious from present evidence. I cited and linked to TC, to the MFMP paper, to Optris documents, and to many other pages and references as needed.

You have not searched and not cite any other literature.

I have searched for a great deal, and have read a great deal that I have not mentioned. Typical for Zero, and for his friend, he makes many vague references with an aura of confident superiority. However, we see right through, it, he is transparent.

But I can ensure you that there is quite a lot of literature to look at.

I'm sure. I am particularly enjoying Rossi v. Darden, a treasure trove of Rossi documents at this point. It bears on this matter, for reasons I'm sure you will understand. If we are studying a test, is there additional information, has there been any other attempt to confirm the test results?

You seems also to ignore all the arguments we have proposed here, even in a simple and comprehensible form, that demonstrate that a body with an emissivity lower then a BB, must have a temperature higher then a BB, for the input power.

A body with emissivity lower than that of a black body, with the same dissipated power as a black body, must, at equilibrium, have a higher temperature. Everyone here agrees on that, I've said it many times, this is totally established. What is odd is that Zero seems this is being ignored. What this demonstrates is one of two alternatives: he is unable to understand the conversation, or he is essentially lying, pretending not to understand in order to keep on arguing endlessly.

He has no credentials, no recognition, only arrogant pretense. I have some suspicion he is not Rossi, but a troll, creating a fake Rossi clone in order to discredit him. I have, however, seen Rossi argue something like this on his blog, but never, of course, with such a high level of interaction.

You accuse other to "cherry pick" data but seem that you are the first to make an accurate selection of what to cite and what not.

Thank you. Of course, if I miss something, others are always welcome to fill it in. I'm not seeing anything substantive from Zero.

• This derivation is I'm afraid now very confused. e=0.6 refers to the total emissivity. I've no idea what this Optris formula is except it most certainly does not address the matter of n - this number cannot be linear with T ..

You mixup some simple math. 3 is an exponent 1/3 the radix. The exponent from the Optris formula can be deduced from the quantom storage physics they use for their "nano bolometer" sensor array. But to understand this, you have to dig somewhat deeper.

Just forget what you have written. It might be OK for an older type of Bolometer, but not for the Optris one. 900C is the same Temperature as mfp measured with the dogbone, when adjusting to the correct (e=0.9) emissivity, what is a proof that the Optris formula is correct!

With this 900C the Lugano COP goes down well below 2, but we can deduce nothing else out of the rotten experiment.

• Official Post

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1305/1305.3913.pdf

"Finally, the outermost shell was coated by a special aeronautical-industry grade black paint
    capable of withstanding temperatures up to 1200°C."

Abd,

Maybe you are mixing up the "aeronautical-industry grade black paint" coating the Hotcat referenced above from the very first (TPR1/Ferrara) "Hotcat" report , with this Aramco, or whatever paint you mention in regard to TPR2?

• @Wyttenbachnull
    i do you the courtesy of believing that you mean what you say, and are trying to understand this matter.

Quote from W

The exponent from the Optris formula can be deduced from the quantom storage physics they use for their "nano bolometer" sensor array. But to understand this, you have to dig somewhat deeper.Just forget what you have written. It might be OK for an older type of Bolometer, but not for the Optris one. 900C is the same Temperature as mfp measured with the dogbone, when adjusting to the correct (e=0.9) emissivity, what is a proof that the Optris formula is correct!With this 900C the Lugano COP goes down well below 2, but we can deduce nothing else out of the rotten experiment.

You are not getting it. the type of bolometer is irrelevant. Whatever nonlinearity the bolometer does or does not have, the Optris device must correctly infer temperature from radiant power impinging (or, if you prefer, number of photons impinging).

Different bolometer characteristics within the pass band (for example, strict photon counting would emphasise long wavelengths when compared with power absorbtion) will have a small affect on the answer. However what we all know, (and the optris graph confirms) is that the value on n is NOT fixed. It varies very much with T. Therefore the way you propose to interpret this cryptic figure on one Optris graph - as n = 3 fixed - cannot be correct. If you disagree with this, please explain how the varying slope (on the Optris log/log graph) of radiance vs temperature can be explained? And, for once do us the coutsesy of following through a previous argument: as is normal when interested in communication and truth - rather than flitting from one idea to another and drawing new half-baked conclusions while abandoning old ones without reference? It is straining even my patience: though I notice on this matter Paradigmnoia is a better communicator than me, so perhaps he can help.

You mixup some simple math. 3 is an exponent 1/3 the radix.

Your statement on which I commented:

Formula according Optris manual (ε1/ε2)1/3* T measured in Kelvin.

I now understand you meant: (e1/e2)^(1/3) or equivalently using the concept you find important: n=3. (I don't think may people would find the word radix helpful when you mean the inverse of the exponent - it is not a common usage).

Anyway, whatever the Optris manual says, it would lead to very large grey body temperature errors if it really used this value for all T. Could that be true? In that case we cannot trust any of the Optris temperature measurements unless e=1. I cannot rule that out: but it would be surprising since so extremely at odds with physical reality.

Paradigmnoiaa: Wyttenbach claims that the Optris instrument always modifies T (for the same received radiance) as Tadj = Tbb* (1/e)^(1/3)

Tbb = temperature displayed for emissivity=1 entered
    Tadj = temperature displayed for emissivity=e entered

All measurements in K.

That would make its grey-body measurements highly inaccurate, and seems highly unlikely to me. Software can do so much better easily! Do you have any evidence?

For the matter at hand however, the original proposition that the Lugano data, when not massaged by IH FUD purveyors, shows COP=2 is unsound either way. Wyttenbach: care to apologise for the sustained discourtesy?

Regards, THH

Quote from Shane

Maybe you are mixing up the "aeronautical-industry grade black paint" coating the Hotcat referenced above from the very first (TPR1/Ferrara) "Hotcat" report , with this Aramco, or whatever paint you mention in regard to TPR2?

I vaguely remember this paint as being disclosed as Aramco at some time. It certainly could be so: they do paints for hot temperatures.

• https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1305/1305.3913.pdf
    "Finally, the outermost shell was coated by a special aeronautical-industry grade black paint
    capable of withstanding temperatures up to 1200°C."

Abd,

No, I'm not mixing things up. Someone might, reading part of the evidence. That was the Ferrara report, which I did not cover at all. Mentioning it may "mix things up" or not. I think it's relevant, but MFMP used Aremco paint with a specific temperature rating, and designed for high emissivity, but with emissivity not actually specified accurately. (and it might vary with how the paint is applied and other surface conditions). So it would also need to be calibrated! The only method that might not need to be calibrated would be the black body calibration using a hole, and I would want to see the hole either be in an opaque material or coated with such, at least until it were shown that hole in alumina were adequate.

MFMP may have calibrated accurately enough using the pyrometer.

At Ferrara, the reactor was a cylinder, not finned, a much simpler device to model thermally and to study. As with Lugano, no data from the internal thermocouple was presented; presumably there was one, used in setting up the reaction.

The entire cylinder was painted with that paint. They say about it:

Conservatively, surface emissivity during measurements was set to 1, i.e. the temperature values
    recorded are consequently lower than real, as will be explained below.

This, in fact, betrays a test bias. "conservatively" is not what one goes for when simply measuring things. One goes for precision and accuracy. Then a scientist will, based on data and calibrations, create error bars, and then if one wants to make some "conservative conclusion," it rooted in fact, not in an a-priori judgment of some goal, i.e., to "prove" excess heat.

The paint is not specified, a flaw in the report (typically in scientific reports the exact material or exact device will be specified, and where it is generic, the supplier may be specified. Read a lot of papers, one will see this!)

The above description was from the earlier Ferrara test. For the later one, conditions were changed. (The importance of maintaining conditions in creating commensurable results is often lost in relatively amateur efforts, and Ferrara must be consider that.) They say this:

The outer surface of the E-Cat HT2 and one side of the flange are coated with black paint, different from that used for the previous test. The emissivity of this coating, a Macota® enamel paint capable of withstanding temperatures up to 800°C, is not known; moreover, it was not sprayed uniformly on the device, as may be seen from the non-uniform distribution of colors in adjacent areas in the thermal imaging.

The concept of measuring emissivity accurately seemed to be elude them, though, to be fair, the HT2 had complex emissivity. They report an effort to use dots ... beyond the temperature range for those dots. Basically, bumbling amateurs. (It is not necessary to report obviously predictable failures!)

They did do a "dummy test." However, their entire presentation is enormously and unnecessarily complex. If one does a power calibration, using a dummy that is as close as possible to the experimental device -- ideally, a fuel tube would be present, but without an active fuel, but a dummy charge, attempting to create a similar heat distribution profile -- it is not actually necessary to determine temperature, because camera readings at specific locations could be correlated with power input in a dummy, presumably with no XP, and then used to much more directly measure experimental power dissipation.

I don't see the simple display of data that could have been created in this way. They went for the Lugano method: determine temperature, then using thermal modelling, determine dissipated power.

There is a problem: they assumed emissivity of 1.0 for the reactor temperature measurement. However, actual emissivity will be lower than that. They do not seem to be clearly aware of the importance of band emissivity, and may be assuming that sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, i.e., whatever emissivity is used for temperature can then be used for estimating radiated power. In fact, the two are quite different, as the discussion here has shown. 1.0 would be "conservative" for determining temperature, i.e,. the actual temperature would be higher with a real non-black body. However, radiated power would be the opposite. Assuming 1.0 would increase the estimate of radiated power. These do not cancel out, necessarily. Band emissivity for the painted alumina would be very high, perhaps. So, here, assume it is high, close to 1.0. The temperature measure would then be correct. Then assume total emissivity is lower. Radiated power for that temperature would then be lower. So the "conservative" estimate was conservative in half, but would be "generous" in the other half of the power determination process. Did they use a lower estimate for emissivity for radiated power? Yes, it appears so. They did attempt to measure emissivity and came up with values of something like 0.8.

This, by the way, contradicts the naive analysis of Zero in this discussion. They understood that the emissivity needed for the camera could be different from the emissivity involved in calculating radiation.

This was irregularly painted alumina, not the raw alumina of Lugano.

But the entire approach was defective, making what could have been very simple into something complex and thus prone to error. Power calibration, which would use every point of the device as an emitter with radiation depending on and highly correlated with input power. Set the camera for a decent emissivity value, but as long as the setting is consistent, this should give quite accurate measure of input power, bypassing all the complexity.

I have not seen enough to declare the Ferrara test "dead." It is odd that it was, in some ways, more sophisticated than Lugano.

In Lugano, the claim -- repeated by them -- that a full-power calibration could not be done because of possible heating coil failure led them to not do one. Where did that claim (preposterous on the face) come from? Who would know about alleged vulnerability of the heating coils to being heated without XP in the device?

There is an obvious answer! And the Lugano team did not stand up to him, but went along. There would be an obvious psychological and practical motivator for that. IH did not insist, either, and the reasons for that would, again, be obvious in the same way. They were hoping Rossi would reveal the technology to them, as agreed by then, and didn't want to spook him, and he was known to be easily spooked.

• but MFMP used Aremco paint with a specific temperature rating, and designed for high emissivity, but with emissivity not actually specified accurately.

While the Aremco paint may withstand high temperatures, the emissivity at high temperatures is not specified by the manufacturer. When we asked about this, they said that if MFMP got a good measure of the emissivity at high temperature, they would like to know what we measured.

• I vaguely remember this paint as being disclosed as Aramco at some time. It certainly could be so: they do paints for hot temperatures.

Hmmph! Sometimes I wonder why I bother. Just above, I covered, specifically, the "Aramco" issue. It was a typographical error by Bob Greenyer wrt the MFMP work.
    Some Points Regarding a Recent Presentation at ICCF20 on the ‘Lugano Report’ (Rainer Rander)
    They disclose the explicit paint, as thought I showed. So much for memory! I did not link to the paint nor quote the explicit name of it. It's in the MFMP report and I did previously cover it.
    http://www.aremco.com/wp-conte…/A05_S2_15_Emissivity.pdf is the paint specification page.

The Ferrara test used two paints to cover the whole reactor. In the first Ferrara test, https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1305/1305.3913.pdf

Finally, the outermost shell was coated by a special aeronautical-industry grade black paint capable of withstanding temperatures up to 1200°C.

And in the second test

The outer surface of the E-Cat HT2 and one side of the flange are coated with black paint, different from that used for the previous test. The emissivity of this coating, a Macota® enamel paint capable of withstanding temperatures up to 800°C, is not known; moreover, it was not sprayed uniformly on the device, as may be seen from the non-uniform distribution of colors in adjacent areas in the thermal imaging

Likely one of these paints. http://www.macota.it/lista_prodotti_sottocategoria.jsp?cat=100&subcat=13

A careful full power calibration would have made all the complexity about emissivity unnecessary, as long as conditions were otherwise the same or adequately similar.

While the Aremco paint may withstand high temperatures, the emissivity at high temperatures is not specified by the manufacturer. When we asked about this, they said that if MFMP got a good measure of the emissivity at high temperature, they would like to know what we measured.

Thanks for the confirmation. Entire generations could now be confused if you provide a half-assed measure. :)

However, you won't do that, right? This could be a fairly simple evaluation, if you still have the pyrometer as one measure. I'd suggest exploring using a black body for calibration, as Optris describes. For studying the paint, the base does not need to be alumina, though for a true and complete evaluation, alumina would be studied together with other bases. The black-body calibration, if alumina is fully opaque in the band, would provide a first-principles correlation with temperature, at least within the camera precision. With an alumina base, thermocouples could be bonded to the base with a heat-conductive cement. Indeed, a well could be drilled and a thermocouple buried in the alumina, covered with alumina cement, the kind used for the fins.

You would then have a triple measurement of temperature and could calibrate just about anything this way. If you still have the camera.....

I could imagine Optris supporting such calibrations. Even more, though, you can establish a procedure for calibrating explorations of LENR devices using an Optris camera or the same principles. When I first heard about Ferrara, I thought that it would be possible to use a camera, if calibrated. You can use almost anything if calibrations demonstrate reliability. Pyrometric cones could be used, where the cone will droop at a known temperature, and the rate of droop can be used to get a more precise measure.

Thanks for your work.

I consider MFMP an amateur effort. And amateurs can accomplish real science, it simply is not automatically expected. Here is an example of an opportunity to extend the literature. One who becomes a "serious amateur" -- which means one puts in considerable time and study, while developing scientific reserve -- may readily develop world-class expertise in a narrow area. Besides, it's fun.

• I consider MFMP an amateur effort

I don't really consider that an apt description of MFMP. MFMP is composed of volunteers having a wide range of experiences. Personally, I am an MSEE with 36 years of R&D experience, about half of which was specifically spent in research of electronic properties of materials. I also have a background in optics, photometry, electromagnetics (measurements, propagation in free space and around the human body, and simulation), integrated circuit design and fabrication, acoustics including microwave acoustic devices; and some experience in electrochemistry, and vacuum techniques. I have about 30 issued US and international patents. While I have no nuclear experience, I did have university training in nuclear science. I am currently developing expertise from the ground up in radiation measurement technology. As with almost anyone you pick, including members of the Lugano team, they can be professionals in one field and amateurs in another field. Clearly, the Lugano team members were not up to the task of accurate measurement of the Rossi device - were they "professionals" in the fields required for the Lugano analysis? One of the most obscure of professionals is one that is widely experienced in calorimetry. The LENR field requires expertise in disparate sciences. Almost none of the LENR practitioners come to the field having professional expertise in all of the required technologies.

• Anyway, whatever the Optris manual says, it would lead to very large grey body temperature errors if it really used this value for all T. Could that be true? In that case we cannot trust any of the Optris temperature measurements unless e=1. I cannot rule that out: but it would be surprising since so extremely at odds with physical reality.

Paradigmnoiaa: Wyttenbach claims that the Optris instrument always modifies T (for the same received radiance) as Tadj = Tbb* (1/e)^(1/3)

Finally, you can plug in the total emissivity of alumina at the new lower temperature (around 0.6) to get the real radiated power.

@THH: Just one more try to make it understandable for a rocker chair scientist!

About the exponent: That was lost via cut & paste...Sorry I was in a hurry...

The adjusted Temperature for Lugano is calculated as following:

With Ecat T=1250C and wrong ε1 = .41 adjusted to correct ε2 = .90 it follows that then E-Cat T=896C !

Formula according Optris manual: Tcorrect := (ε1/ε2)1/3* T measured Lugano.)

Why is THHC, our FUD'er, complaining about this, albeit mfp measured the exact very same temperature - 900C - for alumina with the corrected emissivity of 0.9 ? Anybody is free to answer this...

With the given new Temperature the Lugano COP is lowered by a factor of 2.85 (Plank T4 law) and increased by a factor 0.46/0.41 for the somewhat higher total emissivity of Aluminum at 900C. (Ignoring that convection might be somewhat higher % at lower T)

Finally we end up with a COP of 1.41 which is perfectly in line with the old exact the same experiments of Levi! (Two independent tests!)

If I would take your (THHC) wrong total emissivity of 0.6, then the Lugano COP would be around 1.9. Didn't you grasp, that I (intentionally) used your proposed wrong total emissivity for 900C ??? Only in your phantasy world, where the E-cat was only 600C, 0.6 would have been correct!

Thus come back to ground level 1 and accept the reality of LENR.

I consider MFMP an amateur effort

I don't really consider that an apt description of MFMP. MFMP is composed of volunteers having a wide range of experiences. Personally, I am an MSEE with 36 years of R&D experience, about half of which was specifically spent in research of electronic properties of materials. I also have a background in optics, photometry, electromagnetics (measurements, propagation in free space and around the human body, and simulation), integrated circuit design and fabrication, acoustics including microwave acoustic devices; and some experience in electrochemistry, and vacuum techniques. I have about 30 issued US and international patents. While I have no nuclear experience, I did have university training in nuclear science. I am currently developing expertise from the ground up in radiation measurement technology. As with almost anyone you pick, including members of the Lugano team, they can be professionals in one field and amateurs in another field. Clearly, the Lugano team members were not up to the task of accurate measurement of the Rossi device - were they "professionals" in the fields required for the Lugano analysis? One of the most obscure of professionals is one that is widely experienced in calorimetry. The LENR field requires expertise in disparate sciences. Almost none of the LENR practitioners come to the field having professional expertise in all of the required technologies.

Please don't quote the "amateur effort" out of context. I am not denying your experience, at all. I had some of what you show (though not as much experience!) and I consider myself an amateur. It really means, "not paid, not employed, not a professional in the field." You are correct about the Lugano researchers. Yes. one can be professional in one field and amateur in another. Pons and Fleischmann were expert in electrochemistry and, I think, in calorimetry. Not in measuring neutrons. So where did they screw up? Where they were not professionals! Obviously. The error, then, was in publishing without careful consultation with experts, which would have revealed their error. They were in a rush. Haste makes waste!

I have been objecting to the attacks on you and MFMP in general from Planet Rossi, and the real accusations of professional incompetence are coming from that direction, certainly not from me. I have encouraged MFMP since I first met some of the people at ICCF-18. I remember the excitement when, at breakfast after the last day of the conference, one person figured out and explained what Defkalion was doing! (And it was quite plausible.) That excitement is great! Now harness it with mature insight and caution. Both.

• @Wyttenbach,
    The MFMP used 1.0, 0.95 for emissivity at various times, and more recently 0.945 in tests. It would be wise to see which they used with what temperature. 0.90 was never used as far as I know.

I calculated an integrated emissivity 0.925 at 1050 K from the Manara et al alumina spectral emissivity plot.

• Wyttenbach. You will forgive me for not accepting assertion as fact.

I'll be happy to look at MFMP work if you link that which you suppose supports your assertions. The only thing I've heard is a Lugano reanalysis from them in line with TC's which contradicts your analysis and supports the (commonsense) one here?

I'm sorry that you intentionally used wrong data in your calculations; perhaps that and red ink makes for good polemic, but I'd suggest you join me and try for a best estimate idea of truth without fear, favour, or bias.

I'd also like you to link the "Optris manual" which you claim states that their devices use a fixed n=3. The whole thing, not a dubious extracted image. I've read all I can find in English and nothing says this. They say that they have a lookup table to implement the equation, and that n in that is very variable.

As far as operation goes Optris state that emissivity must be calibrated at temperature. If this is done then the value of n is irrelevant, of course.

So: I'm sympathetic with the view that Lugano tests errors are higher than even TC claimed, due to the Optris instrument not correctly mapping from input emissivity to temperature. I think that unlikely, but cannot rule it out. I'm totally unsympathetic with your new strong claims that the Lugano results show COP ~1.5. I guess for you to move from 2 to 1.5 is progress, but we are still not yet at a final resting place; with your estimates still way out of kilter with others. lets see if we can discover why.

I still await the precise links for the two substantive facts you quote above: that the Optris device incorrectly incorporates emissivity into its temperature measurements, and that MFMP claim the Lugano results correspond to a COP of 1.5.

I'd find it very helpful if you followed Abd and linked the sources you use to make your arguments. That way others can look at them and check your interpretations.

Regards, THH

• Wyttenbach,
    The MFMP used 1.0, 0.95 for emissivity at various times, and more recently 0.945 in tests. It would be wise to see which they used with what temperature. 0.90 was never used as far as I know.

I calculated an integrated emissivity 0.925 at 1050 K from the Manara et al alumina spectral emissivity plot.

For a reductio ad absurdem argument here, suppose the camera measures illumination intensity in a very narrow band, perhaps even a single spectral line. And that it happens that the material only has high emission (as an example) in that spectral band. Elsewhere it might have the same, or quite different emissivity. From the spectral emission, the full emissivity cannot be measured. A change in the emissivity at the single spectral line would bear no relationship to the emitted power. We only know that both band and total emissivity are in the range of 0 to 1, and that total power thermal radiation is at a maximum for a black body, and then, what Zero has claimed -- believing, apparently, that nobody else understands this -- is that if the alumina is showing a particular emission, it must necessarily be hotter than a black body showing that same emission. This completely misses that in the camera band, alumina is almost a black body, i.e., emissivity is close to 1.0, not far below it. But over the full spectrum, total emissivity is much lower, on the order of 0.4.

We do know that a black body has maximal thermal emission. This sets some limits, but any effort to convert error in band emissivity to correction of total emissivity and thus power is necessarily doomed. Both band emissivity and total emissivity will vary with the material. Both values must be determined experimentally, through calibrations, for accuracy.

By making certain simplifying assumptions, one may then make such calculations. But those are simplifying assumptions! The only way to know if the material will match those asssumptions is experimentally. Here, Paradigmnoia does some work with actual measures of emissivity of "alumina" from sources, but, as one of the few useful comments from Zero and some others, that material could be different from the Lugano material, but this, then, throws us back on Lugano itself, and how they determined emissivity! They did less work on this, not more. They did not appear to be aware of the band vs. total emissivity problem, and appear to have used the same value for both, leading to major error.

And then Zero tried to make the claim that total emissivity must be the value to use for both setting the camera and for estimating power dissipation, giving a totally spurious conservation of energy argument. Instead, band emissivity is useful for converting irradiance to temperature, and total emissivity represents all radiated power in all bands. That the same value would work for both would be limited to gray bodies, but alumina is very much not a gray body, as is shown in many sources, emissivity varies with temperature.

Lugano did do a calibration at a relatively low temperature. At that temperature, band emissivity and total emissivity were close enough that their calibration confirmed their power calculation. Bad luck. And a setup to be bitten by that particular bug. As McKubre pointed out immediately in his Infinite Energy article, they were not experienced with calorimetry. Anyone experienced with calorimetry in the cold fusion context (where artifacts abound) would know not to rely, if possible, on a single and complex estimate, but to calibrate the hell out of everything. These were professors, all right, but without the kind of experience that would have led them to identify and avoid the problem. Normal scientific process would iron out the wrinkles, but this was not normal scientific process. They were unable to publish the paper formally under peer review. They were rejected from arXiv; excuses may be made from that, but this paper could have been published under a less hostile peer review in JCMNS. They did not attempt that. This was not science, it was a type of commercial promotion, aided and abetted by some academics who provided opinions outside their expertise. It looked good enough to fool some scientists, even, at first. Not when it came under careful examination.

Scientific study of the "Rossi effect" only exists, as far as we know, within the Industrial Heat attempts, which were highly motivated, initially, to confirm. They have reported failure; while this data has not been published, it is an indication. There are no other scientific studies, there are at best anecdotal and unverifiable results here and there.

Lugano did do a calibration at a relatively low temperature. At that temperature, band emissivity and total emissivity were close enough that their calibration confirmed their power calculation.

It was worse than that. At low temperatures they calibrated the "book emissivity" against TC measurements. They say in the report (it is buried, but there - bottom of p9 if my memory is correct which it may not be) that they "adjusted" the book curve to fit the experimental data. But they only did TC calibration at low temperatures!

They do not disclose how large was the error in book value had they not "adjusted" the curve, but it could have been pretty large, although much lower than at higher temperatures. (The actual procedure they did is unclear from their text: it is possible that they made only insignificant adjustments, as shown in Figure 7, in which case why make any? I suspect the lack of clarity here to be because on reflecting on the experimental data they discovered issues and then had to retrofit some additional analysis but did not fully rewrite the report - but I guess we will never know).

When you look into the details of their methodology it falls to bits in ways quite surprising: though superficially it is both badly conducted and badly motivated, little fudges like this, not fully disclosed, are from my POV even worse...

We therefore took the same emissivity trend found in the literature as reference; but, by applying emissivity reference dots along the rods, we were able to adapt that curve to this specific type of alumina, by directly measuring local emissivity in places close to the reference dots (Figure 7).

• When you look into the details of their methodology it falls to bits in ways quite surprising: though superficially it is both badly conducted and badly motivated, little fudges like this, not fully disclosed, are from my POV even worse...

We therefore took the same emissivity trend found in the literature as reference; but, by applying emissivity reference dots along the rods, we were able to adapt that curve to this specific type of alumina, by directly measuring local emissivity in places close to the reference dots (Figure 7).

It is generally understood that post-hoc analysis, if not guided by an established protocol, is very dangerous, because one may decide to accept the analysis, consciously or unconsciously, because it confirms expectations or desires. With post-hoc analysis, one may determine possible conclusions, suggesting further research that would be carefully controlled, but not more than that. A great deal of LENR research has relied on post-hoc analysis, rather than established and determined protocol. As such, it can be great for exploration, but certainly not for confirmation. So it is quite possible that they manipulated the data from the low-temperature calibration to increase the appearance of accuracy. THH is correct to note the problem here. It might indicate what is suspected. Or it might not, but in either case, what they actually did is obscure, poorly reported, while the report is full of largely irrelevant fluff. Who needs a Ragone plot? Who needs all that data on radiation measurement? For a first-report, each of these could be replaced by one sentence or little more. The absence of significant radiation is a known LENR characteristic, mysterious as it is.

• With the latest findings - Lugano = Levi (COP 1.4,.. 1.5) - no provable progress since ten years, for me the storybook is closed.

To reopen the discussion somebody had to provide a new reactor to an independent and knowledgeable lab to evaluate it.

The worst experience about Lugano was the invention of new facts, about all kind of errors, proofs (irrefutable ones)...

Finally the Optris issue (wrong emissivity) could be resolved with a support request by Optris.

One thing everybody should have learned: Without proper calibration, exact documentation and independent reviews no further results will be accepted.

Lugano was a first IH/Rossi clash story: May be, in ten years we will know the true intentions behind this farce...

To be honest: Lugano was just some kind of distraction - not more: And one last thing you can believe me: LENR needs "no" carrier (Ni,Pd,Zr, Ti...) for its ignition. Just watch the BLP/Mills video of the self sustain mode. Or, if you reverse the logic: All the mentioned carriers will work and any COP is possible!

Finally the Optris issue (wrong emissivity) could be resolved with a support request by Optris.

No link to Optris data emissivity correction is wrong claim?

No link for "latest findings" MFMP says COP is 1.5 claim?

No disclosure of what Optris support said (verbatim, not your possibly misunderstood interpretation...)?

Hardly resolution. More like concealment. If as you say it does not matter, why are you so determined to claim erroneously you are certain this test had COP 2 (or now you change your mind and say, without substance, 1.5)?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.