dartin Member
  • Member since Oct 11th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by dartin

Instead of my attempting to replicate now, perhaps I should wait until after ICCF in Italy is over and discussed.

JedRothwell wrote:

The trick is to find out what parts of the surface are activated. Perhaps an IR camera could do this.

Should I include a window in my unit so that we can see where it is glowing?

As mentioned in Mizuno's earlier device "Kovar glass window on the left-hand side of the reactor, and a

pressure gauge; and a mass spectrometer valve and the gas inlet valve is on the right-hand side"

Should I also include the mass spec valve?

Which pressure gauge should I use? https://cascadesciences.com/sh…acuum-gauge-kf-16-flange/

I am not as cost sensitive as others and I want the best quality that will accomplish the task.

My budget is $50,000 for the replication. I intend to make two units and use D2 in one and H2 in the other as a control. I have no plans to do calorimetry until I see a difference in the heat output of the two units.

Any comments on this approach?

Which vacuum pump is recommended?

How about a mass spectrometer? Any recommendations? https://www.coleparmer.com/i/e…filament-tcd-115v/3400911

@Yugo
    On one level, it is obvious that we can all agree that there is currently no practical (COP>5) LENR device of over 100 watts working anywhere on planet earth that we know of.
    We also know that such devices have been "shown to work" sufficiently to convince people who control millions of dollars and that millions of dollars have been paid to a con artist who makes a low COP look like 50 or more.

Questions:
    1. Will Rossi win his lawsuit based on the fact that he met the contract even though his device never really worked nor will he have any such devices to "show the jury" in June of 2017?
    2. Will the publicity of the trial end up making LENR an even more "lost cause" than it looks now?

d

"Rossi has spoken about manufacturing plants of magnificence that he HAS running...yet we have never seen a single shred of evidence of these manufacturing plants."

Can everyone agree that the longer the story goes on with more promises of "massive production" and no examples of actual installation of even a few beta-testing sites, the less credibility Rossi has?

d

Rossi claims that his "customer" for the one-year test has ordered three more units. He also stated that he expects these units to be delivered by the end of this year.

Does anyone believe that such deliveries will be made before the trial? If they are, and if they all worked and satisfied the customer, it would be hard for Rossi to lose the case.

d

Levels of reality:
    1. Low Energy Nuclear Reactions have been shown to occur.
    2. Examples of LENR have been well-documented and published in second-rate journals.
    3. Examples of LENR have been successfully reproduced.
    4. Patents on LENR have been issued.
    5. Examples of LENR have been successfully reproduced by well-respected scientists representing the reputation of large institutions such as universities.
    6. LENR has been demonstrated that is practical in nature but requires a lot of 'care and feeding' (Such as Rossi with his stethoscope.)
    7. Large money has entered the arena and is trying to corner the market by acquiring patent rights.
    8. Scammers are being shown to have been scamming.
    June 2016 status. Going forward...
    9. Practical LENR has been replicated by experts using the information provided in patents.
    10. Science and Nature start to accept articles on LENR.
    11. Kits such as offered by Looking For Heat are actually able to create a practical amount of heat and generate net electricity.
    12. The race is finally on and attracting big money.

The sequence may be incorrect.

On the one hand, I believe that LENR is real, OTOH, I am suspicious when someone claims that they are tooling up for mass production and don't even have a prototype running let alone a dozen beta test units at various sites.

Especially when talk of mass production has gone on for several years.

Would someone please explain why I should keep my faith in Rossi?

d

This can be accomplished by analysis of the critical reactions taking place. Rossi admits to doing this via trial and error...long hours of dedication. But shouldn't we be able to do it using science and engineering?

@Hank Mills "Other scientists in the world CAN produce Rossi's results. The only problem is that producing the strongest results is VERY hit and miss. For example, a lot of scientists can produce 1.2 COP, but producing self sustain is much more challenging. However, Songsheng, N. Stepanov, and Parkhomov (for eight minutes one time) have reported self sustain. This does not even include me356's statements about runaways."

Let's address the real issue here. IH/Darden wants to dominate the LENR industry and the earlier they do it, the less they will have to pay. Darden would like to own patents and trade secrets that even Rossi cannot use without Darden's permission. Take, for example, their current attempt to "re-patent" Rossi's patents with some details and their own engineer added in. Such a patent, if issued would give IH the worldwide rights to these additional features. Let us say that Godes comes up with additional ideas that improve Rossi's design and that he does it for IH. Then this is one more piece of IP that IH can hold over AR in the battle to own the LENR market long term.

Picture that fictitious company "AH" purchased the rights to manufacture and distribute the carbonized thread filament light bulb in half of the world. Although it is the best light bulb in 1880, AH knows that there will likely be improvements. Meanwhile the fellow AH purchased the rights to the thread filament light bulb from withholds the knowledge that one needs a superior vacuum pump at one's disposal in order to manufacture light bulbs that will last 600 hours. Then that inventor goes out looking for better filaments to your horror and chagrin. What does AH do? They obviously hire their own engineers in a desperate attempt to manufacture light bulbs which last 600 hours like the inventor's do and also try to purchase patents from anyone else who seems to have ideas on how to make good long-lasting light bulbs. Their long-term goal is to own the rights to light bulbs which last 5000 hours and keep those rights away from the original inventor which AH feels has defrauded them.

But then, how does the inventor react to this new development? He feels that AH is trying to "go around him" and do more than implement what appeared to be the original intent of the contract...that is, to be an obedient and subservient royalty paying manufacturer and distributor of the inventor's ideas over the original territory agreed upon. So what does the inventor do? He demands payment on the original contract and if that is not forthcoming, he goes to court and sues AH, pointing out that they are illegally sharing his IP and trade secrets with the inventor's competition.

The net result is a large elephant with many blind men grabbing on to various parts and coming to various conclusions. Fact is, pretty much all of the blind men are accurately describing the part of the elephant that they are touching.

If an individual is dedicated to Rossi, he doesn't want anyone talking it down.
    If an individual is dedicated to ITER, he doesn't want LENR to drain away any resources. That is 1989 all over again.
    If an individual is dedicated to Nuclear Fission power plants, he is frustrated at how LENR is detracting from more effort being placed on manufacturing more Fission Plants. This is my friend's reaction. He is a Fission Power Plant engineer and advocate.
    How about Billg, he is dedicated to traveling wave fission reactors. Did touring LENR facilities in Italy change his mind? No, he was subsequently seen talking to the heads of China and the US about promoting traveling wave reactors.
    How about MIT? Dennis Whyte is now the head of Nuclear and does NOT call LENR "pathological science" these days but does dismiss it anyway. Why shouldn't he? It is his competition?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    Go to the 1 hour, 18 minutes and 44 seconds point.
    After all, ignoring LENR has "worked" for 27 years, why not make it 100 years?

And the beat goes on...

d

Has anyone considered the use of Swarm Intelligence in designing a working LENR device?

Using software and human experts, they just predicted correctly the first four winners of the Kentucky Derby.

http://www.techrepublic.com/ar…-the-2016-kentucky-derby/

1. Nyquist
    2. Exaggerator
    3. Gun Runner
    4. Mohaymen

They were correct. They came in that exact order.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/07/horseracing/kentucky-derby/
    (A one dollar bet would have paid over US$540.)

Unanimous A.I. has built a software platform called UNU that harnesses the power of the crowd to make predictions. Instead of the popular neural network, which emulates brain activity, "swarm AI" looks to a different part of nature: The insect swarm. The concept is that the various units of the group will influence each other in order to arrive at a correct decision—one that is more accurate than any individual prediction.

Could the "Swarm of experts" on this forum be significantly more intelligent than any individual member?

d

How about the possibility that both parties are hoping that their respective patents issue soon, giving them the upper hand.
    IH got their units working, but only after installing some of their own NEW proprietary technology (for which they have applied for a patent).
    Rossi withheld some of his technology because his NEW patent has not issued yet. Rossi's initial patent might not be valid (expert cannot reproduce from the info in the patent) so he feels he needs the NEW follow on patent.
    Actually Rossi feels he needs 202 new patents...or so he once stated.

d

"Rossi struck a deal with a U.S. company, Industrial Heat, to carry out a yearlong secret test of a one-megawatt cold fusion device. The installation is a shipping container packed with dozens of E-Cats. The experiment was to be overseen by a third-party "referee" to confirm it really was generating heat. Rossi claims to have spent most of the last year virtually living in the container, overseeing operations for 16 hours a day or more, to prove the E-Cat was commercially viable."

"It would appear from our initial findings that Rossi has exactly what he claims," Bob Greenyer of MFMP told Popular Mechanics.

Greenyer says there now about 20 groups around the world following the MFMP recipe and trying to reproduce Rossi's results. Data should start coming out in the next few weeks. If others start seeing that same tell-tale gamma ray burst, or large amounts of excess energy, it will go some way to vindicating the E-Cat. Any success will encourage many more groups to get involved.

A viable open-source cold fusion recipe would trigger a gigantic energy research gold rush. Alternative methods could be found which avoid the area covered by Rossi's patents and leave him side-lined as a multi-billion-dollar cold fusion industry powers up.

So perhaps Rossi would actually prefer not to be vindicated.

http://www.popularmechanics.co…0-whos-scamming-whom/</a>

This could end up as big news one way or the other.

Consider the trial by a jury of non-technical people. What information are they to be presented with?

Scenario 1: If there was a factory that needed one-megawatt of heat to produce its products and if the natural gas heating bill was substantially reduced by the use of a Rossi LENR machine; then Rossi wins and IH loses and much publicity is given to Rossi and LENR's success.

Scenario 2:If there was a chemical warehouse in which Rossi set up yet another one of his inconclusive demonstrations with the same judge (ERV) that judged him successful earlier; then I am not so sure that LENR is going to look credible to the jury or to the world.

Scenario 1 gives Rossi the Nobel Prize and Scenario 2 lands Rossi in prison next to Bernie Madoff.

d