Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015

Posts by Alan Smith

Somewhere on the web- and some time ago -I read an apparently credible report saying that examining data from the network of seismic stations established to detect nuclear weapons had detected 2 objects apparently passing right through the planet. I can't find any links now (apologies) but perhaps someone else has seen the story.

One of my relatives still bears the actual physical scars of her encounter with ball lightning as a young girl. She mentioned the small of sulphur and the way her brother's hair stood one end as the ball hovered in front of them. She was standing near a cast-iron rainwater pipe and the ball suddenly darted into the exit hole and exploded inside it. She got shrapnel wounds. Amazing but true.

Apart from the temperature. To make a permanent magnet you need a force (energy) to align the atoms. Where would that come from if not the coil current?

I am not sure. You see some weird stuff- for instance a simple demo I have done for myself. Microwave some carbon grains- they become magnetic -hard to explain that one. But I do know that anybody setting up to create permanent ferromagnetism using AC coils is heading for disappointment. AC is used for de-magnetising.

They should have used a simple needle compass to confirm, which is not subject to RFI. It would be wonderful to discover high magnetic fields caused by LENR, but there is too little evidence of sound measure from Defkalion to get excited about it.

Amen to that.(where 'too little' = zero)

Quote from BobHiggins: “When you say that the Li in the ash is in clumps and is magnetized, could it be that the Li is in the FexOy particles as the alkali metal dopant for a catalyst? Or, have you specifically isolated the Li to coincidence with the…

I think it unlikely that heating coil current could induce permanent magnetism into the Ni ash in a Rossi type system. Firstly because he is known to use square-wave polyphase AC to run the heater coils (see Lugano paper page 6) and secondly because of the Ni was above its Curie temperature (327C) whem a potentially magnetising coils is switched off, it will not be magnetic when cool.

[quote][...Vale T255 Ni powder in that era. I believe a jar of that powder could be seen in one of his videos./quote]

I would take that with a pinch of salt Bob. I am sure that a lot of the 'early' Focardi era Ni was made in the chem lab in Bologna.Not to say Rossi never used V255 -and when he went to the USA he left a kilo bag of Ni behind. I doubt the chem guy ever made that much.

Just measuring at the wall plug with no filtering could give you variable results. It is also easier to measure DC with a (slow) computer connected ADC which is what you would probably need if you want to keep a streaming record of experiment results.

And for Arduino-based data-logging it is important to have a 'quiet' voltage - AC SCR's etc drive them crazy. As for measuring at the wall socket- Killawatt type digital power meters are cheap enough but I'm not sure how reliable they are. And another thing - my lab space is at the other end of a 50M length of 60A armoured cable coming from very close to the grid connection. Random switching of the lab electrical space heating system causes a mains voltage variation at the lab end of the cable between 232V and 224V. While this 8V shift in supply level leaves a switched mode DC PSU entirely unmoved, when driving the reactor heater coils directly from the main supply via an SCR you can actually see the glow of the red-hot coils varying.

Much as I would like to help you, Gennadiy, the academic level demanded of a UK representative is very high. Someone like Professor Brian Josephson would qualify, I and most others here would not. The individual requirement is for a 'leading researcher' - level R4.

This is the R4 description.

Leading Researcher (R4) This is a researcher leading their research area or field. It would include the team leader of a research group or head of an industry R&D laboratory. In particular disciplines as an exception, leading researchers may include individuals who operate as lone researchers. Necessary competences All necessary and most desirable competences of ‘Established Researcher’ plus: • Has an international reputation based on research excellence in their field • Demonstrates critical judgment in the identification and execution of research activities • Makes a substantial contribution (breakthroughs) to their research field or spanning multiple areas • Develops a strategic vision on the future of the research field • Recognises the broader implications and applications of their research • Publishes and presents influential papers and books, serves on workshop and conference organising committees and delivers invited talks Desirable competences • Is an expert at managing and leading research projects • Is skilled at managing and developing others • Has a proven record in securing significant research funding / budgets / resources • Beyond team building and collaboration, focusing on long-term team planning (e.g. career paths for the researchers and securing funding for the team positions) • Is an excellent communicator and networker within and outside the research community [creating networks] • Is able to create an innovative and creative environment for research • Acts as a professional development role model for others.

As Alan Smith pointed out, steady DC voltages and currents are far easier to measure. Since you already have a variable DC power supply, why the extra complexity of a chopper?

As glowfish points out above, I use steady DC inputs. And the output terminals of the DC PSU is the point where I measure the power input to the reactor. Any special magic frequencies, PWM, and my current project, a pseudo 3-phase square wave unit come after this point. Losses here are relatively small, but as the reactor system LFH designed and uses only ever compares 'control' with 'active' hot zones in the reactor these losses are not important.

I made a decision some time ago to avoid the whole potential mares nest of problems associated with AC measurement as LFH is lacking a good Fluke power meter (or similar) bu using switched-mode DC power supplies readily available and inexpensive. Fan-cooled and capable of giving out 400W at up to 48V continuously. This way (since V is very very stable) all I have to measure is current. What simp;licity, what joy!

There is another explanation for the presence of Cu in some Rossi ash samples - and one that he would not be keen to explain for very good reasons. Franktwu (I think) drew my attention to this excellent collection of LENR papers from Japan.

http://jcfrs.org/file/jcf13-proceedings.pdf

The paper on pages 219 onwards reports the finding that Cu is a catalytic promoter that assists the adsorption of Hydrogen into Nickel. Why would he want to give that away?

"Sintering Ni can begin at around 500 C. Lower melting point metals assist sintering of higher melting point metals in most cases."

Quite correct. That's how the molten Al at 750C approx sinters together the un-melted Ni when you make Ni sponge catalysts. Also helped by the fact that the Al reduces any oxides on the Ni particles and leaves it super-clean. Just like the action of flux when soldering.