Posts by Alan Smith

Alan, is there an object at 200 - 237.5 C in that image?

No. The camera was focused on a point on the wall behind a reactor in a warm lab. But it is the actual camera used at Lugano with AFAIK the same settings. I have no idea what temperature the reactor parts were at at the time, but probably not very hot - less than 100C at a guess. This image just happened to be part of a larger (blurry) photograph I took 'on the fly'. I thought the background colour would be of interest, rather than the image.

@THH. What was the claimed input power in Lugano? A figure of 800Watts comes to mind, but that's from memory. I can get a better insulated (and smaller) reactor to 1500C on 160W. So I would thin that 800W (if I am correct) would not need to be any kind of fiddled input measurement.

So if I am to be sanctioned, so be it.

(But BM is not political and it it is not off topic

since it demonstrates the absurdity)

PIH

You were not sanctioned, merely being guided lightly back towards the thread topic. Your thoughts were mildly amusing and politely expressed, which makes a wee deviation acceptable, but (and you were not alone) there was some danger it was going to get too political. Hence words of caution.

Dead Right.

ITER - plant electrical requirement during plasma containment 510MW. Plant THERMAL output (anticipated) during plasma containment (30-40 secs) 500MW. Final cost (estimate) €30Bn.

Fan Heater. Power input, 2kW electrical. Power output 2kW THERMAL. Cost (actual) €15.00.

BUT...ITER is a fun physics experiment and provides much more employment than a solitary fan heater.

However, regarding "watt hours per hour," Arata and a few other elderly Japanese scientists use that expression. I don't understand why, but they do.

We have been over this one loads of times. It is at term that is certainly used by European power plant engineers etc as a way of describing the continuous output rating of a system (or systems) as distinct from its peak power capability. There is nothing weird about it, spend some time talking with EU grid monkeys and you will hear the term MWh/h (shortened to Em-double-H) now and then. I have just spent a weary weekend translating a long and complex business document on standby power systems from French to English, it contains that term (MWh/h) in several places.

Is he a talented physicist? This is where I'd expect differences of opinion.

Focardi's comment on this was along the lines of:- 'Andrea is incredibly intuitive, things that took me years to properly comprehend he seems to grasp immediately, and then prove he has grasped them by going one jump ahead.'

This is not a quote btw, but was reported to me as a 'Focardi says'. a few years ago.

EDIT: given the information posted so far, I guess the bottom line is: could one possible reason why only some people have success with Ni-LAH replications while many others do not, be that you do not want a coating and that the way the powder is mixed could affect the result significantly? Following what Piantelli suggests above, one might want to have them close to each other, perhaps even very close to each other, but not actually in contact/forming a coating on the particles.

My last 'zero' run was done with a coating of LiAlH4 actually on the Ni particles - deposited out of solution. While on isolted non-result proves nothing absolutely, it certainly aids your theory.

Hi Jack. Well, the 'hard work' information is not based on anything but the comments of people who have actually worked alongside Rossi. Work alongside somebody and they can't fool you about the effort they put in for more than a few days, as I am sure you are aware. One soon detects who the shirkers are.

A lack of replication efforts is the sure hallmark of a proper CF experiment. Well done! I see that you link is now 'getting old'. Perhaps you could give us some more recent links?

He is without doubt unable to distinguish between truth and what he wants to be true, and as a result he deceives unashamedly and pretty well continuously. His story of himself - as a brilliant hard-working inventor - is obviously convincing, and those who buy it are able to ignore any number of deceptions.

While I leave the 'brilliant' comment aside for the moment, nobody who has spent time in Rossi's company would cast any doubt on the 'hard working' part. His energy level and work ethic have left former colleagues both amazed and exhausted at times, including for example one occasion when struck by a sudden idea he spent almost 36 hours without sleep building a modified reactor and getting everything ready for an experiment. Call him what you like, THH, but don't call him lazy.

They mention scaling this up to 1kW, from a few grams of reactive material.

I think this is not a huge leap in terms of how much Palladium is used. As for Zeolite surface area, you are almost certainly right. But there is little reason to assume that Cravens can only use Zeolite discs, as Zeolite is a very common catalyst framework material and a hydrogenation catalyst in its own right, there are many many different forms available with hugely favourable surface area/mass ratios.

I doubt vented away cause hydrogen smells a lot

It has no smell at all. You must be thinking of one of its compounds, like H2S. To make hydrogen you would need to use electricity, or a lot of chemistry and create a lot of dirty chemical waste. Using a 30% efficient turbine or other generator system, Rossi might hope to use his entire MW to produce around 300kW continuous of electricity, which at the accepted 50% efficiency of the best electrolysers would produce approximately 4.5 Kg hydrogen per hour. This has an energy content of close to 150kW/h.

So this process only loses 150 kWh continuous, leaving 850kW to be dumped as waste heat.

AND BTW, Welcome to LENR Forum!

Woodford kicked in a lot of cash to ensure everything was in place to make sure Rossi was cornered once and for all.

What did Woodford care about cornering Rossi? WPCT is just about making money, not fighting for justice, especially since Woodford got whupped by their investments in Circassia and Theranos. The Theranos debacle especially suggests their DD was a little shall we say 'casual'. Anyway, their trust unit price down again this week, that are taking another biotech pasting.

Since this thread is very much on the topic of Ni/H experiments, I attach part of an email received today from Alexander Parkhomov, containing some useful information on his current approach to fuel treatment and 'ignition'. Bob and others may find the content of interest.

Dear Alan,......... I use a nickel powder, made by carbonyl technology with a granule size of a few microns. I do not apply any additional treatment prior to loading into the reactor.

Successful experiments were carried out both with a mixture of nickel with LiAlH4 and with pure nickel saturated with hydrogen gas. Pumping out air with a fore-vacuum pump, filling with hydrogen to a pressure close to atmospheric, holding at a temperature of 200-300 oC for several hours to purify nickel from the oxide, pumping out to remove the formed water, refilling with hydrogen, saturation of nickel with hydrogen at a temperature of 300-400 oC for several hours and after that a smooth increase temperature to 1200-1300 оС. After the release of excess heat, it may be necessary to reduce the power of the electric heating. The pressure in the reactor chamber is kept close to atmospheric pressure........Alexander Parkhomov

joshg

Thank you, what an excellent overview. This caught my eye in the Mathis aether papers. It seems wrong somehow.

'For example, if lightning strikes some traintracks in two different places, as Einstein imagines, and a device on a moving train on those tracks sees both, it can easily determine whether they were simultaneous or not, provided the device can also measure Doppler shifts accurately enough. Einstein states that the speed of the train will make simultaneous lightning strikes look non-simultaneous, and that the train cannot correct for this without knowing its own speed. But this is false. The shifts will automatically tell him relative speeds, allowing him to make all corrections. This is just the first suggestion that a sort of ether does exist, and that it is determined by c. The speed of light is itself a time setter, and in a sense an absolute time setter. '

If the train can measure Doppler effects accurately, surely in doing so it has calculated its own speed in doing so.