Posts by Alan Smith

Certainly looking at Safire/Aureon work (and contacts with the boss) suggest (but only suggest) that mixed-gas plasmas can have remarkable self-sustaining behaviour. Reading between the lines of their published work indicates that a low-pressure mix of say Argon and Hydrogen can self-organise and self sustain, the mix of light and heavy ions perhaps causing some interesting ricochet effects. Of course, their plasmas are radiative so not conservative which means they are too 'leaky' to work as a useful storage mechanism. Unless they are generative of course.

Do they want another French Revolution? I would be up in arms about this. What on earth do they think they are doing I ams so glad now that we left the EU, what a bunch of twats.

They will get one for sure if the rising generation want it. I have spent a lot of time in France and am well aware of the odd mixture of timidity and violence that is a national characteristic. Certainly similar moves in Belgium have caused extensive unrest in the medical profession and public.

Clive Cookson at the FT has published a story about a new drug Merck are trialling which causes C-19 to self-destruct.

https://www.ft.com/content/de7…66-4c79-9b3e-9b7d792d424c

. . . Six months into the epidemic and around 100,000 deaths later we still do not have systematic contact tracing across the country. Neither the President nor Congress has focused on the topic even though it is the key to keeping Americans alive and restoring the economy. . . .

Don't feel too bad about it. The UKs inept politicians have screwed the pooch on this one too and will seek to blame the patsy scientists..

I have recently done a study on electric truck power systems for a UK company pondering changes. They are in the waste business, and have a fleet of 30+ 20 ton compactor lorries, all diesel. They wanted to understand the key differences between battery and fuel-cell trucks since their contract provider, the local authority are contemplating mandatory Diesel-free zones across a large part of their operational area by 2025.

Heavy 3-axle garbage trucks are fuel hogs - around 4m/USg , and the average daily fleet mileage is around 2000 miles, so they are spending £2.5k a day on fuel. If they changed to battery trucks they would need 450kWh battery packs that were re-charged every night. a 10 hour re-charge needs a 50kW charger for each truck by the time you take the cooling fans and control systems into account. So they would need something like a 2MW grid connection, the nearest place that is available is 2 miles from their current truck depot. Also the battery will weigh around 3 tons, so hitting the payload and the efficiency of a vehicle that will often do 300 stop-starts a day.

I suggested fuel cells might be better.

https://www.wired.com/story/co…urce=nl&utm_term=list1_p2

In April, scientists at the Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health compared death rates from Covid-19 with air pollution levels for each of the nation’s 3,000 counties. They found that elevated levels of fine particulate matter (an air pollutant abbreviated as PM 2.5) are associated with an increase in the Covid-19 death rate, even after controlling for other factors like income or preexisting conditions.

The authors noted that counties with a higher percentage of black residents had consistently higher rates of Covid-19 deaths, though this was not part of the study. African Americans were more likely than other racial groups to live in counties with elevated levels of PM 2.5. The data is “consistent with previously reported findings that black Americans are at higher risk of Covid-19 mortality than other groups,” the report says.

By this September 2020, testing of finalist proto-types will begin. (that's the pre-Covid schedule)

https://globalcoolingprize.org/

I think they ought to call this the 'global air conditioning prize'. I'm sorry to say that I think this is just a sticking plaster solution. Why some finalists - big profitable companies -need innovation prize money to make better products is totally beyond me. As for the global part, AC is only used in rich parts of the world, 90% of the poor have no power to run it or money to buy it.

https://www.theguardian.com/en…begin-development-in-kent

Britain’s largest solar farm, capable of generating enough clean electricity to power 91,000 homes, is poised to receive the greenlight from ministers this week.

The subsidy-free renewables park is expected to reach a capacity of 350MW by installing 880,000 solar panels – some as tall as buses – across 364 hectares (900 acres) of farmland in the Kent countryside.

The project is expected to be constructed one mile north-east of Faversham close to the village of Graveney and may also include one of the largest energy storage installations in the world.

A REMINDER TO ALL.

Please avoid dragging religion into this thread ENTIRELY. We are forced to tolerate some low level political commentary, but it is only tolerated if it stays low-key. I'm sure you understand that if this thread wanders too far off of directly pandemic-related matters then we will be forced to manage without its more focused posts, in fact manage without the thread at all.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks. Dominic Cummings -Boris Johnson's right hand man (also called 'Wormtongue' I hear got caught breaking his own rules...

The former chief constable of Durham has said it is clear that Dominic Cummings broke the lockdown rules with his trip from London to the north-east.

Mike Barton’s intervention comes as Downing Street faced accusations of a cover-up over the trip by the prime minister’s top aide to Durham at the height of the national lockdown, with reports that No 10 knew he had made the 264-mile journey after developing coronavirus symptoms.

Opposition parties have called for Boris Johnson to sack his chief adviser over the apparent lockdown breach, which was revealed in an investigation by the Guardian and the Mirror.

Durham constabulary said it had spoken to Cummings’s family to remind them of the lockdown rules after receiving reports on 31 March that he was in Durham days after becoming ill.

https://www.ft.com/content/41e…8-b444-74d50a76c383?amp=1

The publication of a long-awaited report from Imperial College London that models the impact of coming out of lockdown has been delayed for several weeks, following criticism of the team’s methods as the debate around the UK’s coronavirus restrictions has become increasingly politicised.

Imperial’s MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis told the Financial Times at the end of April that a new report, which modelled the effects that easing various lockdown restrictions would have on future deaths from Covid-19, was due to be published some time the following week.

However, the report has yet to be released, although its findings have been shared with government, according to two people associated with the Imperial team.

The delay comes as the right wing press and some Conservative politicians question the need for such stringent lockdown measures in the UK.

A number of Tory figures, including former minister David Davis and Euroskeptic MP Steve Baker, have cast doubt on the Imperial team. They accuse the scientists of using an outdated computer code in an influential March report which predicted that the UK could suffer 500,000 deaths during the pandemic if it failed to impose social-distancing measures.