Posts by Alan Smith

Simple surface tension is a powerful factor in the formation of a sphere, and since once you go above 500C Al2O3 becomes increasingly conductive I suspect that you have created a form of Nernst lamp. Good work BTW, and proof that good scientific investigations can sometimes be conducted without a million dollar budget.

Amanda Solloway is the fourth UK science minister in just over a year, and was first elected to parliament in 2015 to represent a constituency in the English Midlands. Her responsibilities as science minister will include managing the annual £8-billion (US$10.3-billion) science and research budget, however, she comes to this job with no experience of working as a full minister, and her role looks different from that of her immediate predecessors. For the first time since 2010, the minister responsible for science does not also oversee universities, where most publicly funded research is carried out. Solloway is also a parliamentary undersecretary of state, rather than a more-senior minister of state, in the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), which oversees science.

A government reshuffle in the United Kingdom has born another new science minister — a position that has seen a revolving door of appointees, firings and resignations in recent years. The latest appointment also comes with an apparent political demotion for the role, which expert observers say is in conflict with a government that seems to have put research and innovation at the heart of its agenda.

https://www.nature.com/article…39373-10aecfebf9-44567417

I don't think so Jed. People move around too much, and so does stuff. Phones from China, roses from Africa, onions from Mexico. Aeroplanes and ships full of people arrive constantly from all corners of the world. Medicine is the real hope.

Well done magicsound .

Sadly I've had to park my Mizuno-lite system for a while in order to do some non-LENR analytical research which demands the use of the QMS and will take at least two weeks to complete. A bit boring (because I can anticipate to a certain extent what the results will be, though it does need to be proven) - and very complicated, but necessary because it 'keeps the lights on'.

New paper by Leif Holmlid, spotted by Georgio Vasallo: -

https://www.researchgate.net/p…ts_detect_0_K_L_and_0_K_S

Neutral kaons formed by laser-induction in ultra- dense hydrogen H(0): decay timing and high-energy scintillator experiments detect 0 K L and 0 K S

January 2020

DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.27125.73441

Project: Direct electricity generation from nuclear reactions in ultra-dense hydrogen H(0)

Leif Holmlid

Charged kaons and pions can be identified accurately by their specific decay time constants of 12.4 and 26 ns respectively to muons, as published previously. Such partly relativistic particles are formed by annihilation-like reactions in ultra-dense hydrogen H(0), both in D(0) and p(0). Long-lived neutral kaons 0 K L have been identified in numerous experiments from their decay time constant of 52 ns. They are observed after decay to muons at mA signal levels, i.e. with 10 10 particles per laser pulse. Here the signatures of short-lived neutral kaons 0 K S are searched for to complete the picture of kaon generation. The short-lived kaon 0 K S is closely related to the long-lived kaon 0 K L and truly independent formation of 0 K S probably does not exist. Decay timing experiments observe muons or charged pions by a current coil with a maximum decay time of 1-2 ns relative to the laser pulse as expected for decay of 0 K S. The signal observed corresponds to 5×10 8 0 K S per laser pulse. Particle energy measurements with plastic scintillators identify the process of decay of 0 K S , generating two muons. Particle energy measurements with Al converters identify the process of decay of 0 K S to high-energy gamma photons in the approximate range 20-150 MeV. Positive results are presented from both laser-induced and spontaneous experiments. This completes the identification of all types of kaons generated from H(0).

I was discussing this with Russ over a steak dinner this week. While on one hand people are getting interested in running another trial, the 'anti brigade' are starting to produce and publicise counter arguments. The things that always get overlooked in these arguments are simple. Storms and volcanoes can dump hundreds of million of tons of fertiliser-rich dust in the ocean every year, but the global wind patterns have changed and this mechanism is in decline. Also experimenting by adding just over 100 grams of nano-iron per square kilometre to the ocean is hardly likely to qualify as 'dumping' of any kind. It just helps make up the shortfall, the plankton levels increase, the food chain boost benefits fish stocks, and the skeletons of dead phytoplankton drift down to the deep ocean and sequester their carbon there for millennia. Simples - but it only works in the deep ocean, and needs to be done 'one dose at a time', never globally in one hit.

No, I meant the fact that Takahashi's energy output just happens to be about equal to burning 1 kg of hydrogen is a coincidence. It is a very round number. Suspiciously round.

That's my fault Jed. As my potential hydrogen customers always like to talk about kW rather than Joules, and as Takahashi so obligingly gave us the figure of 'more than 200W for more than 2 weeks' I just picked a figure from that which was convenient for mental arithmetic - 200 hours - equating to 40kW. 200 hours is only about 8 days, not 14+. So it would be possible using Takahashi's figures to double that time to 16 days, and 80kW, or 2 kg of hydrogen, 1000mol. Another round number I'm afraid but one which yields 18 kilos of water, almost 5 US gallons. Which they obviously never saw. I expect a rat drank it.

In the conclusions of the paper presented at JCF-20 it is stated ;-

'Excess thermal power reached at the level of 200 W/kg-sample continuing for several weeks or more, by the elevated temperature interaction of either D-gas or H-gas and Ni-based binary nano-composite powders supported in zirconia flakes.'

I think that heat output, in a very low pressure D2 environment goes beyond the modest effects recorded in Ascoli65's link :- https://www.uni-muenster.de/im…/eder/papers/b109887j.pdf Effects which were produced in experiments specifically designed to trigger oxidation/reduction effects and involved 'flowing hydrogen' at (presumably) BarG. After all, 200 watts for 200 hours is 40kW/h which is (from memory) the calorific value of the oxidation of a kilo of H. I think they might have noticed that oxidation, since it would have made rather a lot of steam even with a smaller amount of zirconia.