Posts by Alan Smith

Charles Baudette died on Sunday 9th August. He authored the excellent book "Excess Heat: Why Cold Fusion Research Prevailed" , was also an engineering graduate of MIT and successful businessman. Another of the old guard gone.

So your method is somewhat plug and play because you only have to chip away/drill out the epoxy that is on the surface if you want to put a different electrode there

Npt quite. No need to disturb the feed-throughs to change electrodes. That is why they are fitted onto the end of the feed-throughs via a threaded rod. Everything is interchangeable- electrode material spacing type etc. And gas feeds are also easy to arrange- there is a capillary gas-feed through the baseplate that could provide an gas supply for the electrodes. You can see the capillary in the center of this shot.

According to the latest report from Santé Public France on Friday August 7, France reported 12 deaths in hospitals in the preceding 24 hours, bringing to 30,324 the total number of deaths. There were 2,288 new cases of contamination in the same 24 hours, making a total number of confirmed cases 197,921 since the pandemic began.

The number of deaths in EHPAD (care homes) and medico-social centres stands at 10,506, with the next assessment due later today. The total number of deaths in hospitals is 19,818.

France currently has a total of 5,011 people hospitalised, including 140 new admissions. The country has 383 intensive care cases, up 21 new admissions in same 24 hours.

15 departments are currently in a ‘vulnerable’ situation: Paris, Seine-Saint-Denis, Haut-de-Seine, Val de Marne, Hérault, Guyane, Mayotte, Val d’Oise, Mayenne, Gironde, Ille-et-Vilaine, Nord, Haute-Garonne, Bouches-du-Rhône and Haute Savoie.

Four regions (Ile de France, PACA, Hauts-de-France and French Guiana) account for 70% of patients hospitalised in intensive care. Overseas, there are 163 hospitalisations, including 30 in intensive care.

What rate of coronavirus infections and deaths is acceptable is partly a technical judgement, and partly a value judgement. That is to say, a matter of opinion.

The mortality vs occupation figures reveal that different social classes might have different opinions too. Very high mortality amongst bus drivers and hospital workers as compared with (say) politicians had certainly shaped their viewpoint.

i'm agree with you therefore what you say remains totally contradictory with your management of Rossi thread on LF.

We only moderate the Rossi thread very lightly - this is a difficult area of course. Where we apply moderation it is mainly to keep discussion focused on Rossi himself, and not on anybody who may have bought a pint of milk off of him 10 years ago.

Hi again. There are no threads on the entry points where solid or tube connections pass through the 25mm thick polycarbonate (Lexan) base-plate, The polycarbonate is bored to make the vacuum-greased feed throughs a 'tap-in' fit then the externals are de-greased with isopropanol and sealed both sides with clear epoxy. The plain 'empty' hole in this photo is for one of the locating bolts outside the vacuum zone and the white ring is the main seal to the bell-jar which is 1mm thick approx silicone rubber. This took a long while to degas but got there in the end.. I used a polymer base-plate rather than a metal one to reduce complications with electrical insulation of feed-throughs - which in my experience can be a potent source of leaks.

Hi Arun.

It's not too difficult to make the 'plug and play' electrode system. I have a version of it in my own plasma rig which I suspect is similar to yours. The electrodes here are on threaded rods -if they were bored internally they would also act as a gas feed - the white things on the silver colour anode (stainless steel 6% Ni 2%Cr) are merely alumina insulation beads as used in pottery kilns. This rig is due an upgrade soon...new Pirani Gauge, new Vacuum pump and valves. The driver for this btw is a large 15kV Neon transformer fed via the red Auto transformer you can see in the picture. The Autotransformer gives up to 300V output btw, so I could in theory overdrive the Neon transformer to 20kV (unlikely) There's also a high voltage diode network for DC as required. 12kV high power Microwave diodes are very cheap on Ebay.

Boris Johnson’s claims that the UK is ‘on the verge of creating commercially viable miniature fusion reactors for sale around the world’ has left scientists and industry experts baffled – as it is still decades off. 7 October 2019

No- he was talking about Rolls-Royce who are now pushing to build something other than jet engines.

I am very skeptical about this, for one reason. I have little or no doubt that you can dissociate 2 H20 = 2H2 +O2 readily in a plasma reactor, I have no idea how efficiently but it will happen.. But a Stoichiometrix mix of pure hydrogen and pure oxygen makes gelignite looks stable. I have been there in my own work and seen how eager it is to recombine. They show the mixed gas exiting the reactor going through a bubbler and then being separated. At the kind of temperatures they are claiming oxy-hydrogen would recombine as soon as it dropped below around 3500C, at 3000C around half of it would recombine, and at 1200C the rest of it it would go bang.

水野さん、ようこそ。 あなたが元気で、あなたの仕事が進歩していることを願っています。 残念ながら、あなたの写真は表示されません。もう一度アップロードしてください。

私はあなたが名誉あるゲストとして扱われ、フォーラムの管理者があなたを助けるためにあらゆることをすることを保証します。

Mizuno-san, yōkoso. Anata ga genkide, anata no shigoto ga shinpo shite iru koto o negatte imasu. Zan'nen'nagara, anata no shashin wa hyōji sa remasen. Mōichido appurōdo shite kudasai. Watashi wa anata ga meiyo aru gesuto to shite atsukawa re, fōramu no kanrisha ga anata o tasukeru tame ni arayuru koto o suru koto o hoshō shimasu.