interested observer Member
  • Member since Feb 10th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by interested observer

It has been my observation that the people who are most inclined to use the label "pathoskeptic" tend to accept pretty much every fringe belief in the world as real. I value the judgement of such people as much as that of a restaurant critic who thinks every place they eat at has wonderful food.

“Discussing a very controversial phenomenon, whereby most participants in the discussion cannot stand a somewhat controversial figure of the field.”

Rossi himself says that his “effect” has nothing to do with LENR, so in what respect is he any kind of figure of the field?

About being a liar and a cheat. I disagree. I believe the man is a noble, creative spirit who in the trenches of war will do the nasty business of what he thinks has to be done. It's cruel out there and he learned those lessons early.

Why do skeptics continue to follow the Rossi saga? To be able to read jaw-dropping statements like the above. It truly boggles the mind.

If Rossi's work is all an elaborate con, there is no need to escape through some hatch for us Rossi believers. We'll take it on the chin, like men.

I think it is pretty obvious that there is absolutely nothing that would convince Rossi believers that his work is a scam. They will believe no matter what happens. That is their signature pathology. So there is no need for them to ever take it on the chin.

May be you are a perfect sock as you are not even able to distinguish between a supporter and one that mentions a positive aspect of the story.

How exactly did you extract that bit of diatribe out of my comment? I talked about supporters, not anyone who mentions a positive aspect of the story. A little touchy, aren’t you?

Debating with Rossi supporters is a total waste of time. Their support provides a failsafe assurance that these are people whose judgement on anything can and should be ignored. But I wish them a high old time with their entrenched delusions.

There have been many scientific discoveries that were mocked, derided or ignored but later turned out to be completely valid.

There have been many alleged scientific discoveries that were mocked, derided or ignored and eventually turned out to be bogus.

Neither of this facts has any bearing whatsoever on the ultimate fate of LENR. So how about if we stop talking about the Wright Brothers, plate tectonics, Piltdown Man, or any other previous case? They are irrelevant. Only scientific research will settle the issue, not analogies.

In a previous life, I crossed paths with a program manager at a major US government research funding agency who had, shall we say, an Axil/Director-type outlook on science. That person created some quite unique programs over the course of time, often having to browbeat researchers into working on them. Most serious scientists are not willing to spend their time on wild goose chases just because there is some money available. One never heard about the programs that this manager created because they didn’t exactly change the world. But perhaps Google wants to throw the same dice. Strange things can happen...

The upthread question about who is the LENR community is a good one. Does it make sense that Google wants to fund research based on the opinion of self-appointed fans of LENR? Is the community they are talking about anybody who takes an interest in the topic? If I was in charge of a research team and they directed their efforts based on a poll of "fans", they would be looking for new jobs.

Far fetched, as in believing LENR ultimately providing a useful source of energy for mankind? If you can't believe that, then I doubt you could believe Rossi has something. But hey, we all have inner space, a fascinating place of possibilities. Perhaps some of us are better at interior design than others. Hopefully it's not too drab in there.

Nope, believing LENR may ultimately provide a useful source of energy is not that far fetched or outlandish. Believing Rossi’s endless BS has any merit IS ridiculous. What I was talking about is UFOs, polywater, Bigfoot, magnetic motors, and the rest of the paranormal looney bin. The remaining Rossi believers seem to be serial credulists. Lots of LENR supporters believed Rossi at first. Most of them have come to their senses at this point. The truth is, there is little reason to think Rossi has anything to do with LENR, regardless of what your view of LENR is.

As far as I have observed, anyone who believes Rossi is for real also believes a whole host of other preposterous and far-fetched things. I suppose these people just consider themselves to be more open-minded than their fellow humans. Plenty of space in there, no doubt.