interested observer Member
  • Member since Feb 10th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by interested observer

Don’t blame IH, Shane. It was Shiguro Ishiguru who snatched the Nobel Prize from Rossi. Otherwise, the fascinating self-dialogues in the Journal of Nuclear Physics would surely have captured the literature prize.

I have no idea if Mats Lewan has "plenty of integrity". On what basis can one conclude that? All we know about him is that he has been grandstanding for Rossi for years. If you are a Rossi cult member, then Lewan is an esteemed journalist and source of knowledge. If you are a skeptic, he is a shill whose statements are utterly worthless. If you are anyone else, your opinion will be "Who?"

Alan, I was describing posts made at various times by myself or by others asking for specific examples of LENR successes and replications. Personally, I gave up trying to do this quite a while ago for the reasons mentioned in the above post. I was not referring to any of my recent posts, none of which fell into this category. Without a doubt, many exchanges here do fall into the category of one group attacking another. But that was not the subject of my earlier comment and the fact that such exchanges take place does not justify treating all questions and comments as attacks or responding to legitimate questions with attacks.

Alan, my comment described the form of response to substantive questions posed by skeptics. I described the content of the questions and the content of the responses obtained and how they evade actually providing answers. How is that an attack on believers? Yes, it is a criticism but I think it is far from ad hominem. I guess what you prefer is for skpetics to say “thank you for refusing to answer serious questions.” Alright. Thank you and merry christmas.

I for one wish there was a forum for actual helpful critical discussions of LENR results. The supporters here are extremely defensive and evasive whenever they are asked for anything specific. There is much talk of replications, but if one asks precisely what is meant by a replication, all one gets are meaningless statistics of hundreds of replications and the world’s best electrochemists. Was the same experiment repeated? Were the results derived in the same way? Are they actually comparable or simply both “positive”. If you ask for an example of one convincing experiment and one successful replication of it, you are told that providing such information is “spoon feeding”. Most assuredly, LENR believers have no obligation to provide information to anybody. But given their response to critical questioning, they have no reason to be surprised when skeptics remain skeptical.

Of course, the kneejerk reaction to such comments is always: you are ignorant, you haven’t read 200 papers about LENR, and anybody who believes in it is far smarter than you are. I’ll say one thing for this kind of communal circling of the wagons - it safely keeps the LENR community as an insular cult.

I don’t expect any response to this other than personal attacks in one form or another. That is another hallmark of “the community.”

Apparently, according to Tony, nobody who wasn’t “there” can legitimately espouse negative opinions about Rossi. If you want to endorse him, on the other hand, it is all good. But that curious fact is not of any psychological interest of course.

Tony, apparently you lack the sarcasm gene. However, you do seem to have the genetic makeup that allows someone to seriously think that there are people who would pay others to criticize Rossi on obscure websites. A rare trait indeed.

To everyone being paid to post criticisms of Rossi on obscure websites, please tell me the going rates and some contact information. I feel quite cheated doing it for free all this time.

The burying of responsible journalism under internet-driven piles of garbage is the pernicious force responsible for much of the current mess that world finds itself in. Mats Lawan is but one of countless contributors to the fictionalization of public discourse on most topics.

Thinking for one second that Rossi spent 16 hours a day in his Doral strip mall site requires a suspension of disbelief and decopling from reality that has seldom been rivaled since the days when the ancient gods were popular.

Adrian, FYI Shane not only does not think LENR is impossible, he is convinced that it exists. Unlike certain other individuals, however, he has not abandoned all semblance of critical thinking as a result.

Jed's and Alan's comments which have no content other than criticism of skeptical people are considered on topic. Any comments that are sarcastic or otherwise critical of LENR supporters immediately move to the Clearance thread. More fair and balanced coverage. (Watch, this one will move there post haste.)

It is always fascinating to hear the rationalizations for why anyone who has made an incredibly significant discovery that could change the world would not do the obvious things to prove it to the world. If they are “money motivated” then they are protecting their IP. If they are “true scientists”, then they don’t care (???). Apparently the rewards for such a momentous discovery are insufficient for any of these geniuses to make the effort to prove what they have done. No, they don’t owe any of us a damned thing and they are absolutely entitled to be idiots as are those of us who believe them.

THH, be warned. Axil’s contributions belong here. Only criticism of them is summarily moved to Clearance without that fact even being noted in the moved post. As Fox News says: fair and balanced coverage.

Buying into free energy breakthroughs must be a genetic thing. If you believe one of these people (which I suppose might turn out to be sensible), then you believe all of them (which cannot possibly be.)