Rob Moderator
  • Member since Aug 6th 2022
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Rob

I've met Matt. We've spoken. Both he and his collaborator Ross are unwilling to go on the record. That to me indicates some dishonesty. And Matt is now working for a VC that is only investing in plasma fusion. So here he has shown up, shit on the entire community, designed a purposely flawed study, used it as an opportunity to grandstand over us claiming, 'if we can get published in Nature, obviously you could have too'. And thanks to Matt, we have more bad journalism like this one:

Google’s $10 million cold fusion project has failed
    It may have dealt the decades-old pipe dream its final blow.
    futurism.com

The subtitle quotes, "no evidence whatsoever", however, this quote doesn't appear ANYWHERE IN THE PAPER. And the journalist then goes on to conclude,

the new research all but kills the hope that cold fusion could one day power our world.

This is also completely unfounded. But has the Google group taken actions to correct this bad journalism? OF COURSE NOT. They're happy with this conclusion.

I haven't read this thread entirely, it's too long and unfortunately there's too many things I have to do.

David Nygren why are you being polite to Trevethick? In this presentation, he openly spits on the entire community when he claims it "cannot or will not teach", and he adds that his group was able to publish in Nature, so they've 'proven it can be done.' This man is a snake, he is posing as a member of the LENR community, when clearly he's here to sabotage the entire field. He claims they filtered for bias, by selecting only researchers who have ZERO experience with LENR. This is obviously scientific schlock, he hasn't filtered for bias against cold fusion, but instead designed a study that was destined to fail from the very beginning. Why would anyone be kind and friendly to such a snake?

A new CF video was posted yesterday. Somehow this person thinks cold fusion experiments have never produced significant excess heat. Easily the most boneheaded thing I’ve heard recently.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

can you do 4D animation? as in the u,v and x, y planes?

I've never heard of 4D animation in this sense, and I'm not seeing relevant google results. My tool of choice is Blender, so it's 3D animation which is technically 4D when you include time. I'm looking at your images but I don't understand it yet.

I think my question wasn't fully understood. It's documented in Krivit's Fusion Fiasco that multiple experimenters had complained to the DOE that the ERAB choices were obviously biased, and the panel members were fully aware of this as they wrote about it in either their documents or letters to each other. So my question is whether anyone has attempted to write up something of a portrait of each member, which would be a collection of their quotes from before joining the panel, as well as their background and what sort of connections / affiliations, either to institutions or research groups, that would potentially make for some bias.

The reason I'm asking about this is because I'm basing my views of the ERAB panel (at this point) almost exclusively on what Krivit has written (I'll be reading Beaudette's book soon, I'm working on Mizuno's right now), and so if I tell someone, "this panel was so biased", I actually don't know much about most of the people who were on the panel. It's a bit tricky for me to uncover the connections these people had to plasma fusion research.

By the way, if anyone has a strong grasp on this stuff and wants to work more closely with me, I'd welcome it. I have a lot on my plate with this project, it's not just reading and asking questions. I'm also an animator, and I'll be generating animations to explain the essential concepts in the video: the physics, the LENR theory, and the sociology / history.

Wow, this article is fantastic. I could litteraly read the last 2 to 3 paragraphs in my video to help build support for the social construction aspect of science, which is pretty much the key to understanding how the 1989 ERAB panel was able to both draw the wrong conclusion, and set the world on the wrong path.

I just recalled that Mats Lewan in his book about “il dottore” (an impossible invention) wrote a very good entry level chapter to explain chemical and atomic reactions and how LENR differed from both. Regardless of what happened with that story years later, that chapter of the book could help a lot on getting ideas for what to tell newcomers interested in LENR.

Purchased. Thanks for the recommendation. If you got any others, please send them my way.

Okay... But the topic is just whether or not ultrasonic transmutation proves the existence of LENR. I guess the answer is a definitive "yes"? So if I gave a TED Talk, and I showed people the ULTR experiment and the results, and I said, "See? All sorts of new elements, this proves LENR is a real effect", I would be right, and then CMNS would be welcomed into the CMP world with broad acceptance? I'm idealizing my example here but hopefully you understand what I'm asking. Politics of science aside, am I understanding the physics concepts correctly?

The thread topic is history, not present day experiments.

Trying to figure out where in the past the idea first appeared and how it became established orthodoxy that fusion can only occur in a plasma.

Some of these replies have been really helpful toward that goal, thank you! I’m hoping the thread will stay on topic so I don’t have to filter out a lot of tangents and digressions.

Can we move axil ’s reply? It’s unrelated to the topic.

EDIT:

Sorry, this part seems relevant. A little tangential.

By the way, iron cannot be formed using fusion. Iron formation needs a supernova and lots of time in a heavy neutron thick environment.

Rob

I admire your enthusiasm, but do avoid starting too many threads on closely related topics. It's sometimes called 'flooding' - not a term I am fond of but it gives you the picture I am sure. This forum has a tradition of very long threads on a general theme, which at least enables a reader to get an overview. Twitter we are not.

I see. I’m not trying to flood. I prefer concise over long and voluminous. I can’t read fast, so I consider it valuable to have short threads with a tight focus. The downside of the alternative in my view, is that valuable information is harder to find and obscured for future viewers. Maybe the topics are related but I wouldn’t want them jumbled up. As I’m referring back to these, it will be faster for me to access the reply/info I’m seeking.

AFAIK Nature has accepted one Cold Fusion Paper (1989, Steven Jones, direct antagonist of Fleischmann and Pons). It also published the 2019 Paper on revisiting cold fusion, which was negative with a positive after taste.

Ya... That's a good starting point. Do we know of anyone else who tried to publish in Nature? Did we save their rejection letters? JedRothwell, do you know?