Brian Albiston Verified User
  • Member since Feb 9th 2015

Posts by Brian Albiston

I see my name mentioned several times in this thread and figured I better chime in.

First, I have a huge amount of respect for Jack Cole and highly value his opinion. He has fought the good fight. More than most people can say on this forum.

I am one week into my replication of me356's experiment that he claims has a 1.5 COP. I will start a thread about the experiment with pictures etc. at some point. I based my replication off of Bob Greenyer's documentation of me356's experiment. me356 has provided me a very small amount of guidance regarding the experiment and I have requested more guidance as he has left many details of stimulation etc. undocumented. Hopefully he will provide further guidance. After one week of cycling temperatures and pressures the COP remains unchanged at 1.

Point well taken and you might be right, but I think we would be better off following @me356 advice later in that thread:

We are only doing blind tests without understanding. One day it could work, but we can start from the opposite side and study each part of the process separately. And especially see some actual results that can tell us if the development is going well.

If you are trying to do 10 very specific operations without understanding, the luck must be enormously high to succeed.
    We should start with elemental things and then to handle each one. At the final step, to connect all the knowledge together.

As replicators we've been trying to build the finished recipe without understanding each of the ingredients. We keep hoping that if we just add another ingredient, or stimulus that the finished recipe will work. I think we need to take a step back and look at the parts. We know (or believe) that Ni-H by itself can produce excess heat. Let's master that before we move on to the next ingredient.

@John Littlemist
    The "Already published reports, that are not based on the work of Mr. Parkhomov." @me356 is referring to is his own work that he demonstrated to Bob Greenyer back in February. Bob posted the details on the MFMP's Facebook page. me356 talked about this in one of these threads recently (sorry, I can't find the exact post). I have been in discussions with me356 about replicating this design and I'm currently collecting the supplies to put together a reactor.

I find it highly unlikely that me356 is starting the reaction using a hammer. I think his "hitting it with a hammer" comment was metaphorical and not meant to be taken literally. I think it much more likely in the posted video that he has the pressure held near vacuum to vaporize the Lithium and the bump we see is me356 opening a valve to introduce Hydrogen and initiate the excess heat.

@GlowFish
    The Lithium was solid and the Nickel was powdered so they really can't be mixed. The Lithium was inserted at one end of the fuel capsule on top of the previously inserted and treated Nickel. The hope is that boiling the Lithium mixes it with the Nickel powder. I haven't had a chance yet to open the fuel capsule and inspect the mixing but it is very likely that not much mixing occurred. To my knowledge @me356 has used powdered Nickel in only one of his recent reactors and it is not his preference. Hopefully he will explain why. Electroplating the reactor is possible. Add it to the endlessly growing list of reactor variations.

@barty
    That would be great if @me356 wanted to share any suggestions with me.

@John Littlemist
    Other replicators have used Steele reactor tubes and fuel capsules and claimed success. It's possible a dielectric material matters, but most dielectric materials are eaten by Lithium. Add another addition to the growing list of reactor variations.

I completed another test last night. The test used 2g Nickel and 0.3g solid Lithium in a Nickel foil capsule. The reactor was made out of 316 stainless steele with Swagelok fittings on each end. COP was measured in my Lead jacket conduction calorimeter. No excess heat was observed.

The procedure was:
    Starting with just Nickel and Nickel foil, reduce at 600 C and 3.4 psig Hydrogen for 50 minutes
    Vacuum at 600 C, 40 min
    Absorb at 180 C, -2 psig Hydrogen, 8 hours, approximately 0.5 psig absorbed
    Vacuum at 650 C, 80 min
    Absorb at 180 C, -1 psig Hydrogen 60 min, no significant absorbtion
    Absorb at 210 C, 60 min, no significant absorbtion
    Absorb at 250 C, 60 min, no significant absorption
    Absorb at 150 C, 60 min, no significant absorption
    Absorb at 700 C, 60 min, Pressure drop ~3 psig, likely due to Steele absorbing? This is a problem with using a Steele reactor, you don't know if it is the Nickel or Steele absorbing.
    Vacuum at 700 C, 55 min
    Absorb at 180 C, -4 psig Hydrogen, no significant absorption
    Cool to 30C
    Remove fuel capsule, add 0.3 g Lithium, reinstall
    Vacuum, add 8 psig Hydrogen, heat to 150 C 120 min
    Vacuum, heat to 1000 C at -14.4 psig, soak at 1000 C. This should have been enough to vaporize the Lithium.
    Add Hydrogen slowly and in bursts. No temperature change or COP change observed. A triac style supply was used for heating.

Hopefully @me356 will be able to shed some light on what critical parameters I'm missing.

https://plot.ly/~fear_nuts/800…re-power-pressure-stream/

May I suggest that discussion of the positives and negatives of the release of LENR information be moved to a different thread and this thread be allowed to concentrate on the technical aspects of @me356 reactors. The technical questions are being drowned out by all of the political, ideological, and psychological chatter. I would like to repeat two questions that got lost:

@me356
    My understanding from your postings is that you've become quite skilled at teaching the Ni to "breath" by getting it to absorb Hydrogen quickly through repeated loading and unloading cycles. Is this all that is required to get the mouse started or is there some other critical step (em stimulation for instance)?

@me356 : Are you still using IGBTs to feed the heater wires ? If yes, is there a specific reason to use IGBT instead of MOSFET ?

@me356
    Are you able to provide any answers on these questions?

Thank you

@Alan Smith
    I agree with me356 that Lithium is death to Alumina, even pure Alumina. I had it crack one of my reactors just last week. The Nanoshel Lithium powder is a different story. I've found that it does not corrode Alumina. I've taken that to mean that it is quite likely mostly Lithium Carbonate and not very useful for LENR experiments.

@Hank Mills
    Please be patient one more week. me356 has stated that the thing he hates the most is others controlling his time. Let's try not to do that. Bob Greenyer is planning on visiting him next week. Let's give me356 some space until then. And please stick around, your thoughts are appreciated.

@me356
    My understanding from your postings is that you've become quite skilled at teaching the Ni to "breath" by getting it to absorb Hydrogen quickly through repeated loading and unloading cycles. Is this all that is required to get the mouse started or is there some other critical step (em stimulation for instance)?

Thank you

@me356
    Thank you for updating us on your extraordinary results. I will be implementing things you have learned and shared with us in my new reactors.

One question for you. Is a current passing through the fuel instrumental in starting the excess heat? Your wire and plasma reactors clearly have a current passing through the fuel. Did you also pass a current through the fuel in your Parkhomov reactor to initiate excess?

I guess that turned into two questions. Thank you!

Here's my best guess, which is probably worthless coming from a non-chemist. :D

I think the pressure reading is real. Residual Li/LiH, Al203 and H are reacting to form Lithium Aluminate (and corroding your mullite tube). This reaction proceeds more rapidly at higher temperatures removing the Hydrogen from the cell to form a hard vacuum. This "helps" the vacuum pump along to achieve the remarkable vacuum readings.

@jeff
    I would appreciate it if you would post your spice model for the circuit. That would allow me to simulate it myself and make any changes I desire. Thank you so much for posting this. I wish more replicators would post hands-on info like this.

@Francesco CELANI
    I would like to agree with the others above, we want boring details! @me356 is not the only one attempting to replicate your experiments on this forum (perhaps just the most successful). Myself and other replicators would love to hear boring details. These boring details are often the most challenging and time consuming to get right on experiments.

@me356

My personal theory is that producing atomic hydrogen more effectively is key to achieve higher COP.
    Atomic hydrogen that was created before can then enter a transition material directly without too much "effort".
    When transition material is then temporarily stressed it can yield excess energy, in very simple words.
    If you can do this very often, very fast and without material destruction, the highest COP is achieved.

If rates of atomic hydrogen production vs recombination back to H2 are correct it will produce additional heat and H2 can be recycled without a loss.

• How are you producing atomic hydrogen more effectively? Do you use a catalyst other than the Nickel for this?
    • How are you temporarily stressing the transition metal?
    • How are you doing this "very often" and "very fast". Is this from whatever current pulse you are using?
    • Are you still using the IGBT PWM board you created to drive your Celani Wires?
    • Are you vaporizing the Lithium in your Celani cells too?

Thank you!

@me356
    Thanks for answering our questions. Can you give any more detail on your Hydrogenation process other than it took an hour and you heat it to 200C? How do you know when you're done? Do you vacuum first? Do you Hydrogenate in the reactor or prior to loading the fuel?

It's pretty obvious that every time we ask you about the triggering mechanism you skip over that question. ;) Thanks for answering our other questions. I hope you can tell us your full procedure soon.

@me356
    I completed a test yesterday trying to trigger excess heat by boiling Lithium. The test ended with no signs of excess heat. http://www.e-catworld.com/2016…r-test-by-brian-albiston/

I took the temperature up to 1260C+ with the pressure around 0.1 bar. This should have resulted in the Lithium boiling. Possible reasons I can think of why I didn't get similar results to what you have achieved:

• It is very possible that the Nanoshel stabilized Lithium I have been using and supplying to MFMP has exceeded its useful shelf life. The stabilizing process may turn it mostly to Lithium Carbonate or it could have Oxidized sitting on the shelf. I will try again with fresh bulk Lithium.
    • Perhaps my Nickel Hydrogenation step is flawed in some way. Do you do anything other than heat it to 200C in Hydrogen and let it sit? How long do you let it sit?
    • My reactor had been used several times before and contamination is quite likely. You seem to indicate contamination is detrimental.
    • My consumer vacuum pump may not be capable of reaching the low pressures required.
    • Are you using some additional triggering mechanism other than heat and pressure?

Any additional details you can give to help others replicate your results would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks