Experimental Evidence on Rossi Devices

• Do we take from this that he is saying he thinks the Lugano reactor to have been operated at 1400C?

I took that as an implicit admission that the reactor was not operated at 1400°C. According to the report, as soon as input power was increased to 900W, the average reactor temperature increased to 1400°C within a few minutes (see page 7). Table 6 on page 21 (and plots 6-8) is also reporting that the average temperature was about 1400°C for about 20 days. Even the abstract is referring to operating points rather than peak temperatures.

So either Rossi himself doesn't believe that at some point the reactor has been operated at 1400°C on average, or I am reading the report wrongly and that's why I asked here. To clarify, I'm aware that actual temperatures were most likely way lower than that.

• @Thomas Clarke
    Thank you for your clarification. Now I understand (although it seems obvious now) that the emissivity below 7.5µm does not really affect the temperature calculation of the Optris camera, and the temperature calculation is the main source of the error. And since the alumina is almost a black body above 7.5µm there are no big sources of error to be expected for that part. Emissivity below 7.5µm will affect the total radiated power, but if the temperature of the reactor is low, variations of that part of the emissivity will not "save the situation". So unless new data or theories are presented that changes one's understanding, at least I will accept that the COP of the Lugano report was not very high. Once you acccept that I can understand that the question of the isotope analysis, your point (6), becomes very hard to understand, but I don't want to discuss that because I feel I have nothing to contribute there.

• Ah, I see what you mean.

The one thing do know is that the Lugano reactor was temperature controlled thermostatically via Rossi's black box and a built-in thermocouple in the core of the reactor which the testers had no access to, except via a control to change the operating point.

Here is a speculative scenario. The testers operated Rossi's box at well below its normal operating temperature, thinking that this gave >> 1 COP when it did not. Rossi would afterwards tell them any lack of performance was because they operated it wrong, and they would be too embarrassed to admit the error because the null result was due to their mistake.

Which would make them and Rossi liars, but they and maybe he could still believe the device did actually work when properly operated (though actually I think operating at 1400C is a bit of a stretch given the Inconel wire).

I'm sure the folks at ECW would jump on this one if they were not so censored that they do not discuss the COP = 1 issue.

• Rossi has discontinued the reactor design that he supplied to the Lugano testers. He has come up with a new design called E-Cat X that operates at a higher operating temperature from the Lugano reactor. The new reactor design operates at a temperature above the melting point of nickel and probably uses pallidum powder as a nickel replacement. The mechanism of operation uses some other power production mechanism other than heat.

Rossi first called this reactor “M.me Curie”. He changed the name because its name may have been a hint at its IP content.

Rossi said:

Andrea Rossi
    August 10th, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    Fyodor:
    I confirm: The new Hot Cat is NOT a substitute of the “Lugano” Hot Cat or of the low temperature E-Cat. It is a completely different thing. While the Hot Cat and the LT E-Cat will be destined to industrial applications, the “M.me Curie” will be destined to a completely different kind of utilization, very much popular. I will give more details, obviously, only after we will have made enough tests to see if it is reliable.
    Warm Regards,
    A.R.

Rossi also said:

The great scientist Dr Curie ( commonly referred to as “Madame Curie”) is dead not for muons, but because she manipulated radioactive atoms, without knowing their dangerousness ( due to the scarce if not zero knowledge of the effects on health at those times).

As Holmlid has shown, the use of group 14 elements in the platinum group uses UV light as a reaction promoter. At 1500C, the amount of UV black body radiation produced is substantial.

Holmlid produces muons as a result of iridium use.

Like Holmlid, this E-Ecat x reactor looks like its reaction produces particle production coming form to CPT symmetry violation where charge comes from vacuum particle condensation. If muons are coming from the E-Cat x, that reactor is producing electrons from vacuum condensation. This type of vacuum based particle condensation is different from pair production. That is to say, direct production of overunity electric power from very high heat input.

Now I understand (although it seems obvious now)

It took a long time to work it out. Once it was worked out, I still did not have a clear way of explaining it till this thread! Really these things do seem obvious but only in retrospect!

• @Thomas Clarke: what about this scenario.

The experiment was deliberately designed that way. The testers actually couldn't push temperatures further during the dummy run because the internal inconel wire would indeed have melted and they knew about it.

You might have noticed that the wiring was probably changed between the dummy and the active run. I'm proposing that this was in order to use the internal ceramic tube (which is a separate element) as a high temperature, semi-conductive resitor, as if it was a Nernst glower. This would also explain the "shadows": they were due to the inactive inconel wire embedded in the finned alumina cast, the glowing internal ceramic tube used as a resistor, and not necessarily the result of anomalous heat production. I expect this would also cause issues with electrical measurements as the resistivity of semiconductive ceramics decreases significantly with temperature.

(Diagram from the [lexicon]Industrial Heat[/lexicon] patent)

• Rossi's low temperature reactor design is based on potassium. Rossi cannot patent potassium as a LENR fuel because it is now open source, since the Thermocore patent has expired. Rossi begin experimentation with lithium in a high temperature mode. This unpromising experimentation made Rossi sanguin at revealing the lithium design to the Lugano experimenters. Rossi was surprised at Parkhomov's replication success. Rossi has diverted replicators away from potassium toward the difficult to handle lithium through the Lugano test.

IMHO, Rossi's use of heat to produce UV is problematical. To increase efficiency, I would use a high intensity UV light source like a flash deep UV lamp or a excimer laser.

See

http://www.ushio.co.jp/en/prod…_source/lamp/excimer.html

• The electrical evidence is fascinating but I cannot reach a definite conclusion.

The resistance of the heater changes by a factor of 3.3 or so between dummy and active tests (lower for active). It is constant to within 1% for the two active tests.

Possible reasons:
    Wiring topology is changed from Wye (dummy) to Delta (active). Would give X3, different connecting wire resistance would maybe allow X 3.3.
    Clamp is reversed on active test. Would give X3, asymmetry in resistance could give X3.3. However it would give a X 3 error on input power which would result in COP of 1/3. Not possible.
    Variable resistance NTC wire. X3 is a very large change for 450C / 750C and also the equal resistance for the 720/780C tests is a bit anomalous. But I guess it cannot be ruled out.

• @Thomas Clarke: I believe the wiring was physically changed between the dummy and the active run for undisclosed reasons. I won't go as far as saying that Rossi used completely different devices like Gary Wright suggested, but now that we know from the [lexicon]Industrial Heat[/lexicon] patent that the E-Cat tested could be disassembled, this hypothesis might make more sense and explain how the IR emission differs between both runs. See the thermal image from page 15 and photos from page 25.

How could the same wiring produce this difference?

(enhanced)

(Source)

• I have duplicated those shadow types experimentally. The upper photo, with multi coil-crossing heat bands, is a natural pattern that occurs when the coil expands but is constrained on both ends. The coil increases its radius, but the coil does not stay centred on the tube, except on average. The twist of the coil encourages the formation of a regular spiral of touching to not touching coil arc segments along the support tube. The wire glows hottest in visible light where it does not touch the tube, so conversely it is possible to make the visible light shadows hotter than the glowing stripes, but the opposite in IR. This type of coil crossing heat pattern is indicative of at least some open space in the coil area. The coil needs to be free to move, and is not perfectly heat sinked to either the support or cover tubes. (Not cemented).

• @Paradigmnoia: how would this explain that in the upper photo the internal wire(s?) seemed to make way less turns around the internal core and was arranged like this:

\ \ \ \ \ \ \

While in the lower photo it seemed more densely packed and arranged like this?

/////////

As I see it, the winding is completely different, even assuming that it formed a regular touching/not touching pattern.

• Interesting. Personally I've never given any credence to the "shadow" argument. No evidence for it. And you show here that as expected it is not true.

Re physical change of wiring inside the e-cat. I'm not found of "how could?" type arguments. There are just too many unknowns and while spiral heat gradations are interesting I don't see the discrepancy between the two pictures are indicating anything specifically.

In any case the surprising results for excess heat are now all understood. The (more surprising - so that even LENR advocates, other than Axil who suffers from unusually exaggerated apophenia, see them as anomalous) isotopic results remain mysterious.

The simple thing to say of these is that they are not independent. Rossi's involvement in the insertion and removal, and his presence when the reactor was being changed from dummy to active mode with likely change of connections etc, makes that impossible.

Those who look at this process and say there is no way fuel or ash could be switched are speculating - such things are difficult to detect even when we are looking out for them. The Lugano testers had no sense that such switching was a possibility, and did not check for it.

Also, it is easy to imagine innocent contamination of the fuel or ash with pre-existing Ni-62. In fact given the isotopic analysis was all surface-based and from a few grains, you could imagine an unswitched mixed fuel giving these results. What we can be sure is that the simplest "nuclear" explanation, all the Ni converted to Ni-62, does not work. The enthalpy for that is some 15X higher than that possible even given real COP of +1.3 which is within experimental error bounds - just about.

I have sympathy with those who say that in this situation the simplest and by far most likely solution is deliberate substitution by Rossi. The point for experimental evidence is that integrity of the data here is very poor, so no firm conclusions can be drawn.

• Interesting. Personally I've never given any credence to the "shadow" argument. No evidence for it. And you show here that as expected it is not true.

To summarize and clarify my thoughts on the matter, what I'm saying is that if the internal ceramic tube itself was used as a resistor, a "shadow" from the Inconel wire could easily appear even without internal anomalous heat production.

Re physical change of wiring inside the e-cat. I'm not found of "how could?" type arguments. There are just too many unknowns and while spiral heat gradations are interesting I don't see the discrepancy between the two pictures are indicating anything specifically.

Have a look at this:

I can count 19, possibly 22 turns on the photo (assuming shadow = wire) during the "active" run, but only 3 in the thermal image (or 9/10 if there actually were three wires, with only one showing) during the "dummy run".

• @Ecco

Well I don't want to argue this stuff strongly, too many unknowns, but if you ask..

The thermography data is at a different spatial resolution from the optical data. Also at a different wavelength (10um vis 0.6um).

The optical data could show the wire windings (actually not this directly, but many possible causes).

The IR camera data could show a spiral artifact from different al2o3 thickness due to the way the al2o3 ridges were cast on top of the windings (the ridges themselves are of higher spatial frequency than is detectable by thermography).

Or, interestingly, the thermography spiral could be an artifact of aliassing between the pitch of the camera pixels and the reactor ridges. That seems very plausible to me.

• It might be useful if someone not banned from ECW for illicit views (in my case, skepticism about Rossi's devices) could bring this thread to the attention of the ECW community. Some of them take an interest in the Lugano experiment and I don't think they have ever had a proper discussion of the reasons why the results in fact do not indicate excess heat.

Tom

• The upper "lights on" photo is the one to count coils with. The patent application photo is best, though. The IR image is showing an artifact caused by the coil wraps not tightly touching the tube at all points. It is hard to describe properly. The coil as a unit is wrapped around the inner tube in a corkscrew of alternating slightly loose and tight when heated. When the coil cools, the coil will shrink and grip the tube tightly.
    The coil shadows are easily made. Just turning off the power will do it, but not for long. Internal heat does it best.
    Regarding the orientation of the coils, watch for clues in the photos. Some of them are from behind.

• That sounds very plausible too (and based on more info than I have)...

I'm not excluding the possibility that the visible artifacts can be completely and properly understood, just saying that I'm too lazy to do this to the necessary standard of care!

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.