Self-Interest and LENR (Edmund Storms)

• Here
    While I find myself generally in sympathy with the sentiments below there are a few specifics were I differ from the author.

It might take more patience or suspension of disbelief than one can allow, but I think there are some subtleties that need to be teased out in this instance. The first subtlety is that you can have a real, complex, difficult-to-understand phenomenon that has yet to attract a large number of capable people who are grounded in a systematic, effective approach. To a certain extent one could argue that this was the case with chemistry itself for many decades, when it was alchemy. The alchemists saw some interesting phenomena, but it took the Enlightenment and empiricism to really hone the methods that were needed to explore it effectively.

As a historical analogy you could point out that the development of the scientific method, which has advanced the study of chemistry and many other fields, was not discipline-specific. And having done this there are many effective people who jump on "the new idea" whether that is quantum computers or carbon nanotubes.

In addition, a field may already have attracted a few effective researchers, but the world was not ready for what they were saying at the time. Galileo suffered house arrest when he promoted heliocentrism. It took many years for the early pioneers in radiation to prove to everyone's satisfaction that radioactivity was real, and a lot of what they thought was initially wrong, hopelessly mixed up with what they had gotten right. Becquerel is credited with having discovered radioactivity in 1896; in fact Abel Niepce de Saint-Victor reported to the French Academy a very similar finding in 1858, and it is clear that he understood the implications, but this piece of history is largely unknown.In this regard, I think society is not as far along as is implied by the story we tell ourselves, where we imagine that we finally have an empirically grounded science after all these years, free from the difficulties described above.

I think this is the wrong way to view the differences between now and then. We have now individual scientists every bit as flawed and human as they ever were. There is a slight improvement in training where many of the tenets of empiricism are explicitly learnt, and often followed. The big change is in the much larger and more heterogeneous quantity of material that is now published and considered. With scale you get more differing views. With number of journals you get "safe places" for heterodoxy (current science being a classic example). With scientific citation and referencing you get multiple views of the same phenomena. All of this is far in advance of what happened at the turn of the Twentieth Century when there were but a few players, and a few places for publishing.

Thus I'm not claiming scientists now are better trained (though some would, and i'm not ruling this out). I'm saying we have more of them, and more room both for heterodox views.

It takes a lot of willpower to write off the accumulated findings in LENR studies, even if one has yet to see a study one considers flawless or above reproach. In short, one might be in a mode of writing off evidence rather than trying to understand it, however imperfectly it's been packaged.

I think this subtlety is subtler than you indicate here!

I've made the point earlier on this thread. All experimental evidence is interpretation. We assume physical laws stay constant across the timescale of the experiment so we can trust our instruments to behave predictably as they were calibrated. We make many other detailed experiment-specific assumptions. Based on these high confidence beliefs we interpret the evidence.

In this case the correct response to an experiment showing evidence of D+D -> He4 transmutation + excess heat at low temperatures and pressures will and should depend on prior belief. If this is extraordinary we subject the evidence of any one experiment to much greater scrutiny than if it is informative but not extraordinary. Apparent differences on this forum often relate to prior belief, since may here, when considering a specific experiment, do so from the position that other experimental evidence has made some sort of LENR probable, and not extraordinary.

The next part of this argument relates to your synthesis of "accumulated findings".

Where results are probabilistic and independent, quantity is as good as high precision.

For example, if a coin is tossed 10 times and ends up heads we may guess it is biassed. If this indicative experiment is repeated 3 times with the same result we can be sure it is biassed. (confidence order 1 in 10^9).

Now consider a bag of coins (analogous to LENR experiments). There are a number of different types of coin, and new coin types can be formulated and added to the pool as variants of old coin types.

LENR researchers, when they do an experiment, take a coin from the pool and flip it, recording the results. They note collectively a significant bias towards heads. Sometimes this is just luck, sometimes because the coin is truly biassed. Some types of coin are better at generating excess heads than others. They get chosen preferentially be the LENR reserchers as "good experiments with the right conditions to generate NAEs". Newly formulated coins, variants or mutations of those most head biassed, do this even more. LENR researchers also have many experiments which do not work, and show a distinct tails bias. These are not much reported, because of no interest. Also, the types of coin that lead to them are not often selected.

Now a historian, or an internet observer such as you or I, looks at the LENR experiment results and cannot fail to be persuaded by the preponderance of heads. We might, in analogy to the one coin case, reckon the chance of these happening without a real "overall head-bias' effect are vanishingly small. You can see however that the coins overall can be true, each with some independent random bias and averaging neutral. The selected coins however show a head bias, and the reported coins even more head bias. The historically remembered coins include these two biasses and have an even higher bias.

So: in the case that a phenomena is extraordinary quantity of weak evidence does not work, because it can be implicitly or explicitly linked to common selection and therefore the individual results are not independent.

I've not formalised this argument quite as clearly as is needed - but it will do - for here - for now.

The second subtlety to note is that it can take many years for an emerging phenomenon to become commercializable, as was seen with semiconductors. We have yet to know what exactly to do with superconductivity outside of a scientific context. We think it might be useful for certain kinds of trains.

Superconductors are now used, away from science, in:
    mobile phone base stations
    fast fault-current limiters
    NMR and MRI magnets
    electric mtors and generators

(at least so claims wikipedia and they all seem plausible to me - the mobile phone thing is for low noise high Q RF filters).

I bet also that SQUIDs are used commercially as well as scientifically (I vaguely remember geo-survey applications in the oil industry but might be wrong).

But I disagree with the point in this case. LENR is not some random scientific curiosity. It is a phenomena almost tailor-made to address people's dreams of wealth:
    Free (such a high energy and power density it is effectively free) energy.
    No pollution (most extraordinary, but LENR manages never to generate radioactive products, nor to emit high energy particles, nor neutrons, any one of which creates problems with normal fusion).

Such technology has by its very definition immediate applications. Lots of them. Lack of application comes from the effect never being large, which is a difficult to understand phenomena.

Of course there are other issues, such as reproducibility, that may delay real applications. Look at superconductors where getting them to work reliably, either LTC or HTC, is technologically complex.

• (T+dT)^4 - T^4 ~ 4dT*T^3 + 6dT^2*T^2 + 4dT^3*T + dT^4

Ha, indeed. I should have thought about that one a little bit harder.

Re convection, it can be linear if you are lazy! If you look at this experiment, the external temperature differences will be small enough that convection can thought of as linear...

and I think you would have to have much higher dT than 50 degrees to experience variations in the h constant...

I had assumed convection would be free rather than forced, but either way even a small change in dT will raise the Rayleigh and Nusselt numbers, and hence h, just not by very much.

• The motivation for deeply studying fringe evidence tends to be an interest in belief, or, less often, an interest in debunking belief. Neither case gives objectivity.

This argument seems to suggest that it is a worthwhile use of time to examine snippets of fringe evidence, taken out of context. With such an approach, the conclusions will often be superficial, because important details have been missed. If one is going to invest time in arguing against fringe claims, arguing from a position of knowledge is preferable. What acquiring such fringe knowledge implies about the objectivity of the person is something to be weighed in deciding whether to jump into the debate or not.

• Quote from Thomas Clarke: “The motivation for deeply studying fringe evidence tends to be an interest in belief, or, less often, an interest in debunking belief. Neither case gives objectivity.”
    This argument seems to suggest that it is a worthwhile…

Eric, with respect I think you extend this argument incorrectly.

I'm not saying that superficial reading of evidence is likely to be reliable. Merely that immersion from those biassed is likely to be unreliable.

That means I can't trust the judgement of LENR luminaries, nor of prominent skeptics. Reading stuff on teh internet I can find obvious bias in both.

That leaves me looking for extraordinary evidence myself, and unlike many here who are convinced by quantity of ordinary evidence, I'm not. For the reason I intimated above but I realise it needs tightening up as a proper Bayesian proof, and till I have a mathematical formulation of it I don't entirely trust it.

• Thomas,

Regarding your coins, Pools and biases, and LENR reports of negative results:

"These are not much reported, because of no interest. Also, the types of coin that lead to them are not often selected"

The "no interest" is your claim, not a fact. And your "types of coin" leading to negative results are non-logical, since the LENR researchers did not know which coins or test setups would show positive or negative results in the first place.

My experience from the literature is the opposite. Negative results are of highest interest, since the negative results must be explained, and may lead to explaining why positive test where positive. One problem is of course that papers may not have adequate amount of data to be fully analysed later. Therefore the scientists should keep all the raw data available for later research.

Example:
    One critical condition in F&P type cells has been proven to be the D/Pd ratio. Re-analysing the early negative papers have shown that all of them had lower than 90% D/Pd loading, which guaranteed a negative result.

• That means I can't trust the judgement of LENR luminaries, nor of prominent skeptics. Reading stuff on teh internet I can find obvious bias in both.

This is very true. You can be sure there is a lot of dogma out there promoted with good intentions by advocates of LENR, and you will hear certain statements touted with great confidence about this or that. It can be very distracting to someone trying to sort out fact from opinion. I have gradually learned to ignore it (after wincing at it). I call such opinion-based claims "teachings." They exist not only in LENR; they are to be found in many human endeavors.

My own approach is catholic -- time allowing, I will consult any wild and crazy document that comes along that might have some snippet of truth, whether it is on PESN, in one of Josef Papp's patents, a claim concerning an HHO device, etc., on the assumption that there might be something interesting underlying it. I will also consult peer-reviewed publications. But I do not find them or mainstream opinions to be especially insightful on the topic of LENR, and I do not think the peer-review system is set up for dealing with something outside of normal science (in Kuhn's sense), so I find myself looking further afield.

My experience from the literature is the opposite. Negative results are of highest interest, since the negative results must be explained, and may lead to explaining why positive test where positive. One problem is of course that papers may not have adequate amount of data to be fully analysed later. Therefore the scientists should keep all the raw data available for later research.Example:One critical condition in F&P type cells has been proven to be the D/Pd ratio. Re-analysing the early negative papers have shown that all of them had lower than 90% D/Pd loading, which guaranteed a negative result.

Take the Parkhomov replication. All the serious (proper methodology results) have been negative. They get reported (and even so ignored) because the experiments are announced live (though even then, some negatives don't - Brian A anyone?). And it is blindingly obvious that somone who onlky gets negative results will not spend much time telling the LENR community about them.

Your case here is where differential results, some positive, are of interest. That, in the context here, counts as a positive results. Does it not?

• No neutrons counted at one meter using the best
    recorders of the world, and a lot of « neutrons »
    recorded with Columbia Resin 39 at some millimeters of our devices.

Very strange, isn't it ?

<a href="http://www.drboblog.com/cold-atoms-quantum-condensation/" class="externalURL" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">drboblog.com/cold-atoms-quantum-condensation/</a>

So, I linked to a blog, which claimed that some QM processes were not much talked about because they would imply cold fusion. Not sure where this fits in, and also I'm probably competent to check this one myself so give me the proper theoretical writeup that shows could fusion expected from QM? I've seen a few attempts with obvious holes.

Or else give me a link to experimental stuff - which is what I thought you meant.

• Probably the worst argument from the LENR crowd is that P&F were not the first to witness the phenomenon. Oh, no, they go back to papers at the beginning of the 20th Century.

My question is: how many more years do you need to show us something reproducible?

Compare with Relativity, as far as paradigm changing ideas go.

• Eric,

Why are old LENR sightings the worst argument?

How does reproducibility have anything to do with LENR being seen prior to F&P?

If we agree, and by LENR you mean "a collection of apparent excess heat phenomena within chemical + experimental error bounds, but not understand at the time" - then yes. LENR is timeless and sightings no doubt go back to the 16th century.

If, OTOH, you mean by LENR: "credible evidence for extraordinary excess heat from nuclear reactions" the problem is that in the dim and distant past, before anything was understood of NAEs and the rest, such old sightings would be less well documented and therefore even less credible than modern sightings.

Inevitably, for a real phenomena with physical basis, with continued attention and collection of evidence, the phenomena will become, sharper, more reproducible, more understood. By far the best evidence will be recent. Which is why I see the historical bent of much LENR community discussion as profoundly negative.

• An interesting story on the use of CR39 in LENR:
    http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KrivitSextraordin.pdf

"Gary W. Phillips, a nuclear physicist and expert in CR-39 detectors is similarly surprised by what he saw in SPAWAR’s detectors. Phillips has used the detectors to record nuclear events for two decades.

"The evidence recorded in SPAWAR Systems Center’s CR-39 detectors are “at least one order of magnitude greater” in number than those in any other conventional nuclear experiments he’s seen in his 20 years of related experience."

And it is much harder to dismiss CR39 than calorimetry or electronic equipment...

“I've never seen such a high density of tracks before,” Phillips noted. “It would have to be from a very intense source – a nuclear source. You cannot get this from any kind of chemical reaction.”

On Phillips:
    Dr. Phillips conducts research in nuclear radiation detection and neutron dosimetry and teaches courses at Georgetown University. "His recent research interests include the development of neutron spectrometers using CR39 track etch detectors and of optical radiation detectors for nuclear non-proliferation applications."

• If we agree, and by LENR you mean "a collection of apparent excess heat phenomena within chemical + experimental error bounds, but not understand at the time" - then yes. LENR is timeless and sightings no doubt go back to the 16th century.

This seems like is a suitable understanding of LENR for the present discussion. By this understanding, I don't think LENR would be something that would have been discernable as a phenomenon until the awareness arose that there are nuclei and that different processes occur with them, as well as the invention of electricity and calorimetry and possibly radiation detection. So around around the start of the 1900s. Do you agree?

If, OTOH, you mean by LENR: "credible evidence for extraordinary excess heat from nuclear reactions" the problem is that in the dim and distant past, before anything was understood of NAEs and the rest, such old sightings would be less well documented and therefore even less credible than modern sightings.

For the reasons mentioned above, I don't think we can go into the distant past.

Inevitably, for a real phenomena with physical basis, with continued attention and collection of evidence, the phenomena will become, sharper, more reproducible, more understood. By far the best evidence will be recent. Which is why I see the historical bent of much LENR community discussion as profoundly negative.

With respect, this seems like one of those easy generalizations of scientific progress that Feyerabend sought to address. I'd argue that what we're looking at is a subfield in a very early stage, before normal science has taken over, and that people are still fumbling around to a certain extent. That happened with the discovery of chemistry and of radiation as well. This forum has focused on the NiH system because Andrea Rossi has brought a lot of attention to the field. That system is less understood than the PdD system, so things are in an Edisonian mode of exploration. And there are a lot of hobbyists (like myself) who do not feel fully committed to the methods of normal science in the present context, which makes things even more Edisonian than they otherwise would have been.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.