FP's experiments discussion

• Abd wrote:

(Me:)

In spite of challenges, Joshua has not shown this with actual evidence. He cited the 2004 Doe review as being an example of 17 to 1 convince that the preponderance of the evidence was against cold fusion, when that simply wasn't true.

We all know the importance of cold fusion, if it were real, so the unanimous decision by the DOE panel *not* to allocate money for the field is clear evidence that they considered the preponderance of evidence to be "against" its validity. Indeed, it would be unconscionable to reach such a recommendation if they considered there was even a small chance that it was real.

17 of 18 wrote that the evidence for nuclear reactions in "cold fusion" experiments was not conclusive. For a bold and extraordinary claim like cold fusion, inconclusive evidence in the face of such copious and robust evidence that it should not happen is damning. And that attitude was emphasized by the fact that the DOE has not funded cold fusion research since.

Aside from the DOE panels, I also cited the absence of reports in the most prestigious journals, where it automatically appear if it were taken seriously. And the complaints of Hagelstein and Boss an others that it is difficult to publish in high impact journals, and that there is a stigma associated with the field. All these things are indications of essential dismissal of the field in the mainstream.

We saw in 1989 what it looks like when mainstream scientists just thought LENR might be real. It was huge. And we know that accepted fields of far lessor potential importance (like graphene or nanotubes or superconductivity) generate thousands of papers per year, and show clear measurable progress. Meanwhile cold fusion generates a paper or two per year reporting new experimental claims, and the claims become more modest as the experiments improve.

And I also cited a list of prominent scientists who have expressed skepticism. The best scientists make it their business to be informed about relevant new results, which is why the subject was given such an enthusiastic welcome back in 1989, and why scientists all over the world went to the lab to get in on the revolution. None of them wanted to be left behind. It's probably not a coincidence that all the smartest scientists are skeptical, like Nobel laureates Gell-Mann, Weinberg, Glashow, Lederman, Seaborg, and also distinguished scientists like Close, Lewis, Koonin, Garwin, and Park.

Essentially all scientists working in the energy field (or advocating alternative energy) have rejected cold fusion implicitly. These people include Stephen Hawking and Brian Cox, who advocate hot fusion research, Frank Close, who (like Cox) is passionate about science and society, and Nobel laureate Carlo Rubbia, who has in fact given cold fusion an audience, and was involved in cold fusion experiments (including helium correlation measurements), but is now working on sub-critical thorium reactors.

Now, I know the response to this is always that these poor laureates don't have the benefit of having seen those all-important web sites and blogs, which hold the secret to utopia. But that's unlikely, because if the evidence were persuasive to even a small fraction of qualified experts, there would be an exponential explosion of interest (like in 1989). Because some scientists *do* see the data, and it is their nature to tell others -- many, many others -- and for a subject like this, to become involved themselves.

And there have been scientists who examined the evidence. Scientists like Ekstrom and Thieberger and Motl and Eriksson and Pomp have all been involved in the ecat debate, and will have looked at those all-important web sites. Ekstrom, e.g., has been active on some Swedish forums, and was involved in an exchange with Krivit, and wrote a critique of the Levi paper, so you can be sure he's seen much of the evidence. Thieberger wrote a rebuttal to the WL theory, so he is likely informed. Other scientists have written recent rebuttals to the WL theory (Cuiche et al and Tennfors), so they're clearly aware of the activity. Garwin was interviewed in 2009, so you can be sure he was made of aware of the claims up to then.

Duncan is an example of someone who was convinced by the evidence, and look at the exposure he's given it, with colloquia at Missouri and even a conference at Missouri, and the establishment of two institutes. Other physicists could not miss this exposure, and yet, the subject fizzles instead of explodes. Missouri had to issue a correction when Duncan claimed sponsorship. They were embarrassed instead of convinced. Much like the physics department at Bologna, which could not have escaped the publicity of Rossi's ecat, but instead of the belief spreading through the department like a virus, they had to issue statements denying formal support.

As you yourself said, scientific literature reflects the view of scientists. Any subject that is not fringe science appears in refereed journals. A subject like cold fusion would appear thousands of times a year if it were taken seriously.

And yet, not counting the special issue, there have been *zero* claims of excess heat in the literature in the last 6 years (according to the Britz bibliography 2010 - 2015), and *zero* papers on the helium correlation in more than 15 years. Even if you include the special issue, it mainly represents reviews of work from before 2010.

• Abd wrote:

And Cude never says, "Sorry, that was a mistake." He just goes on to new arguments. I've seen this behavior before, it is more common among religious fanatics than scientists.

I'm not going to admit a mistake if I don't believe I've made one. But if I am challenged on a specific point, I will defend it or concede. On the other hand, I *have* challenged many of your specific claims, and I don't recall you ever saying "Sorry, that was a mistake."

He wrote about my lack of a degree,

But this is as relevant as your frequent boast about sitting with Feynman, if you are going to base your judgement on your own credentials.

but he has no credentials himself,

...whereas my arguments do not depend on my credentials. I strive to cite easily verifiable facts or observations, to use reason and logic to support an interpretation of them, and to cite credentialed scientists for authoritative support.

• Alpha decay refers to the emission of alpha particles from large radionuclides. We were discussing the decay of excited alpha particles. This involves gamma emission and no Coulomb barrier.

No -- I was never referring to the decay of the excited compound nucleus involved in the d(d,ɣ)4He branch. It's true that you mentioned that decay sometime back. I've been discussing something different. I'm saying that if you have Coulomb screening from some temporary non-equilibrium situation, we might see an increase in the rate of alpha decay in any alpha emitters present.

People have anticipated that you might be able to momentarily increase the decay rate of alpha emitters for a long time. This is the hope that Rod Nave is trying to dispel here. I'm saying he might be wrong, and that this might be part of what's going on in the Fleischmann and Pons heat effect. Heat and helium, and heat correlated with helium. Neither revolutionary nor even hard to imagine. Certainly not a radical departure from existing physics.

If heat/helium is carefully studied and the study shows that the FP Heat Effect is not generating correlated helium, or if it is close to noise, not a clear correlation, then I don't reject cold fusion, as such, but would retreat drastically from the position I've been working to educate people about, because what I called the *only direct evidence that cold fusion is nuclear in nature" would have been badly damaged. I.e., this would "change my mind." I would not become a Richard Garwin, "There must be some mistake," but I would say, "There could be some mistake."

I shall keep this on file, and in 10 years, when the field will almost certainly be in the same place it was 10 years ago, I'll be interested in your assessment.

Now, I have only seen Joshua ever accept massive, reliable heat as what would change his mind.

Not massive at all. The sort of thing that would convince skeptics (or me at least) are things that should be easy based on *existing* claims. Like Piantelli's, for example. He claims to generate heat in the tens of watts in Ni-H simply by heating a Ni rod up in a hydrogen atmosphere. If that's all it takes, as he *claims*, then suitable insulation would keep the Ni rod at the necessary temperature from its own heat, without input power at all.

A completely self-contained device generating tens of watts (or even a few watts) for an essentially indefinite period of time would convince nearly all skeptics that a new source of energy had been discovered.

That's why the claims of heat after death would not require any additional research at all. Just isolate an electrode in heat after death and present to skeptics an object that produces heat far beyond its weight in chemical fuel.

To get to that point could take billions of dollars in research.

To get to the point of convincing skeptics would be chickenfeed if the claims had merit. No one needs a product at home depot. But as mentioned above, if claims already made had merit, unequivocal proof would be easy and cheap.

I'm proposing and supporting confirmation of the heat/helium ratio with increased precision. Is there some way in which this would change his mind? Are there conditions he would place on this?

Certainly the unequivocal identification of nuclear reaction products (especially if correlated with heat) would be convincing. The only condition is that the identification *is* unequivocal, which I realize is vague. But that's the nature of it. Trying to define unequivocal evidence of flying was vague too, but when the Wrights flew in 1908, skepticism vanished. The same thing would surely be possible with cold fusion too, if it were real.

There is a wide variety of reaction products that have been claimed, and they are *all* marginal. It's comical really. Sensitivity to tritium is a million times better than for heat, and that's where it's claimed -- at levels a million times lower.

Neutron sensitivity is better still, and the levels are likewise, lower still.

Transmutations involving radioactive isotopes would similarly be a million times more sensitive than heat measurements, but conveniently, all the claimed transmutations start and end on stable isotopes, and necessary (radioactive) intermediates are completely absent. And not just any stable isotopes, but only the ones that are common in nature.

Gamma rays again observable at truly trace levels are seen near background, and when spectroscopy is done (Piantelli) show a spectrum characteristic of a calibrant found in any physics lab.

Only helium is observed commensurate with heat, and only helium is present in the background at levels high enough to produce the necessary artifacts.

But again, claims of excess heat in the range of a watt or higher could produce helium at unmistakeable levels without any great expenditures, but the experiments that report helium observe heat at far lower levels, or are not run long enough. The result is that helium levels have never significantly exceeded ambient levels, and the very few refereed publications on helium are equivocal at best, and in some cases negative.

(Like, it must be done by someone who has never expressed a positive opinion that cold fusion is possible?

Well, this would be automatic if the claims were fully disclosed so others could repeat. If Rossi claimed an unequivocal heat-helium correlation, no, I would remain skeptical. But if he disclosed the method, and Koonin reproduced it, I'd be the first to cheer a new energy age.

In prior discussion today, I identified a specific false statement, and referred to it again.

If you mean that I claim the DOE panel rejected cold fusion, I have defended that above.

When one consistently takes one side in a dispute, insistently, for years, always presenting arguments one way, never the other, never admitting inconvenient fact, and even if one always "tells the truth," the sum of it is a lie.

Again, if what you mean by lying is vigorously arguing against your point of view then I am less hurt, because I don't agree that it's lying. Anyway, I don't know what you mean by never admitting inconvenient facts. I don't deny facts. I simply argue that the facts do not point to cold fusion. Moreover, I am no more partisan in this way than you are; I'm just on the other side.

• Eric Walker wrote:

I'm saying that if you have Coulomb screening from some temporary non-equilibrium situation, we might see an increase in the rate of alpha decay in any alpha emitters present....

and that this might be part of what's going on in the Fleischmann and Pons heat effect. Heat and helium, and heat correlated with helium. Neither revolutionary nor even hard to imagine. Certainly not a radical departure from existing physics.

It's hard to imagine a vague description like "Coulomb screening from some temporary non-equilibrium situation" without some specifics. Whether it's a radical departure depends on the proposed mechanism, But just stating it does not make it plausible.

And then there's the question of alpha emitters present. Stable nickel and palladium are not alpha emitters, and for them to start emitting alphas would be a radical departure.

• Mats002 asked: “I wonder how CCS can apply to Brillouin claims of:
    - Ratios of thermal energy out to electromagnetic pulse power energy in of greater than 4:1”

Firstly, the BEC people don’t put enough data out to check anything. Secondly, I note they did start with an F&P-like setup using Pd electrodes. I believe their “WET” reactor is based on that, but they use nickel now (cheaper thus more economical). If it is based on the F&P electrolysis, I would suggest a CCS needs to be checked for. However, they clearly have a different total configuration, which can cause other things to happen or maybe prevent the at-the-electrode recombination I proposed in an F&P cell. Always the bottom line: different configuration can mean different predominant errors/problems.

“- Continuous reactor operation for weeks at a time”

Long times are a key factor in the claims of excess energy beyond that which is available through chemistry alone. The fact that the FPHE persist for long times does require the explanation of such to be sustainable for those long periods. Thus simple things like phase transitions or stored energy release typically fail to have the duration required.

The CCS however would persist as long as the conditions that caused it do. Thus it has no time limitation on it.

“- Power output for a single reactor core up into the hundreds of watts “

Depends on all the details…

• People keep discussing the 2004 DOE Review. FYI, I personally know 2 of the reviewers, one who participated in the written part and one in the oral part. I asked both if my "CCS" work was presented to the review panel and both confirmed it had not been.

• quote]That is complete nonsense. First of all, there is a fundamental dishonesty involved in hiding identity. From such a position, one who freely impugns the integrity of others is dishonest, as Joshua has done many times.

You are arguing every anonymous internet poster who has strongly different views from you, and expresses them, is dishonest? LOL. Were I to adopt that stance I'd be insulting most of this forum![/quote]No, I am not arguing what you say. But I won't say you are lying. I will say that you don't read carefully and clearly, and project your own reactions onto what is said. It is not merely anonymity that is dishonest, it is "impugning the integrity of others," and particularly of real people, real names, that can be dishonest. I've interacted with Joshua for years, with a huge volume of text. So when I say "many times," it is not merely a few repetitions in this [lexicon]conversation[/lexicon] that I'm referring to. I have what might be called a strong inference as to Joshua's identity. Joshua is his real name, but Cude is made up.

The use of LOL in response to your own straw man argument is, I'll say, characteristic of a certain kind of internet persona. (Both "believers" and "pseudoskeptics" do it. I'm not saying that anyone writing LOL has fallen into this. This is a "mark" an indication of something that raises a flag.

Joshua presents, voluminously and persistently, a series of arguments that he has developed over the years that he knows are effective in reaching and convincing certain kinds of people. He knows that if he makes these arguments, many readers will accept them. To respond to these arguments with evidence, with it not to just be "he said, she said," takes lots of words, and writing lots of words can be easily seen as "walls of text, why doesn't this writer boil it down?" Okay, boiling it down, all the way, I occasionally write, "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

That is obviously a judgment, and, in fact, all boiled down polemic is. The real Joshua has aggressively attacked web sites that exposed him, but that doesn't mean he is "hurt," as in feelings. It means he knows that there is risk to his professional life, that is how I interpret it.

Joshua is a highly experienced skeptic. Before he jumped into this thread, I mentioned him as probably the most knowledgeable cold fusion skeptic in existence. I have invited him many times to participate in discussions that could actually clarify issues. His response: he ignores the invitations. He is *also* a pseudoskeptic, which is a common human affliction. We all can be pseudoskeptic. It was truly funny to see the Moletrappers on this topic. "What is pseudoskepticism? It doesn't exist!" I'd urge these people to read Hoffman's book, which, at the same time as it presents the skeptical arguments -- very cogent ones given the time of its writing, and the only problem with Hoffman is that he ignores the heat helium correlation and only looks at helium in isolation -- also skewers common pseudoskeptical arguments, that s till are presented by Cude and others. That was 20 years ago.

I also am familiar with Taube's work on cold fusion, and have some, shall we say, nice communication with him. Genuine skeptic, but also pseudoskeptical. (Why? He is a genuine skeptic because he would, if he had cause, look at the situation again, and pseudoskeptical in that he has an attachment to being right. A mild one, which is common for all of us. When we are attached to being right, we are not skeptical, our skepticism is "pseudo.")

Joshua is extreme. However, I don't accuse him of being a shill, though, you might notice, Thomas, he accused me of that in this discussion. He came in swinging. And then is "hurt" that he is confronted.

I have never seen Joshua apologize for making misleading statements. Always, there could be a first time.

Joshua is, as to cold fusion, a dying breed, a relatively informed skeptic. He pretends, and may believe, that his position is "mainstream." But he could not get his work published in a mainstream peer reviewed journal, while many positive cold fusion papers and reviews are being published. For starters, they won't let him publish as Joshua Cude, I'm pretty sure! And if he published with his real name, with the arguments he gives as Joshua Cude, that would identify him. But the circumstantial evidence is already strong. But not as strong as the evidence for cold fusion!

It is likely that site managers have IP evidence, in server logs, that could confirm his identity, as well, but it's not that important. The only issue here is the use of anonymity to avoid damage, and if he thinks that he might be damaged, simply by presenting "the truth," well, he must, then, not really believe that his views are mainstream, he must know that there is risk that all this mishegas could blow up in his face.

(The current mainstream, i.e., the majority of scientists in general, do still consider cold fusion as bogus, but, as McKubre points out, this is only a knee-jerk reaction, not based on study. I have only pointed out that the expressed positions in mainstream journals shifted, over ten years ago.

Reputation matters in science, something that Joshua papers over and avoids.

Lots of defective papers have been published, and, of course, pseudoskeptics will jump on that as if it proves something.

Pons and Fleischmann became evasive, and if one understands the situation they faced, it's quite understandable. However, they still became evasive, not disclosing relevant and important information, and this contributed to the rejection cascade, because it was visible, and skewered by both Taubes and Huizenga. I consider that part of the tragedy of cold fusion, the "Scientific fiasco of the century," as it was called by Huizenga in the title of his book.

One more point: why does Joshua not take up the invitations to participate in real scientific process? Well, it would compromise his anonymity. He only posts on fora that don't provide identifying information. He's not going to participate on Wikipedia, as Joshua Cude, because he'd be nailed as a sock puppet, as he was previously with other names, avoiding his former site ban. His history there is remarkable, a clear demonstration of the failure of Wikipedia to maintain compliance with its own community-established policies. It is as if he got away with murder, and why? Well, he's very popular, among a strong pseudoskeptical faction (anti "pseudoscience") that knows full well how to manipulate Wikipedia.

He also took steps, there, to conceal his identity, which he had revealed at one point.

• In a discussion with Clarke, Abd seems to have written some stuff I need to address. However, it’s a little unclear from the post, and maybe it wasn’t Abd, so if that’s true I apologize in advance.

(Probably) Abd wrote:

“But does it really matter what errors I might have made?”

Only if it matters what errors I made…

"I think Shanahan is asserting systematic error. He actually has confused, as far as his presentation, two issues: CCS, which would be a shift in calibration, and unexpected recombination, which could be a very substantial systematic error if not carefully handled."

Two points: (1) I have always presented this as a 3-level proposition. I initially presented it as I derived it, but let's do it in reverse today, since what I did in effect was reverse engineer the system. So now, going forward, we have an F&P cell acting 'normally', i.e. no FPHE present. But the sneaky 'special active state (SAS)' is nucleating and growing. Finally the SAS gets big enough and boom!, the FPHE starts up. In a closed cell, normal os are to have all hydrogen recombine with oxygen at the recombination catalyst, which is the calibrated system steady state. The FPHE changes the steady state configuration. Now some of the recombination heat is appearing in the liquid-filled part of the cell. That heat is more effectively captured, since the primary heat loss pathways are (1) contacted by the liquid for good heat transfer, and (2)
    physically further away from the calorimeter boundary point crossed by the cell penetrations. Interpreting the data with the prior steady state's calibration equation is an error, since that depended on X% of the total heat being in the gas phase region, and now it's (X-Y%) and we have an extra Y% in the liquid region, which will be over-counted to an extent determined by comparing the prior calibration to the one that is accurate for when the FPHE is active.

So have we got this now? Normal steady state shifts in a fashion that causes prior calibration to be inaccurate. That's the whole proposal in a nutshell. The CCS however is just the error one gets from applying an inaccurate calibration equation.

"My general impression is that this has been carefully addressed. Shanahan overstates his case, but, here, I'm simply pointing [out] that those are two distinct issues."

Not in the real world. One can mentally impose a separation, but the CCS won't occur unless the FPHE turns on. Thus they are intimately tied together.

"It is possible for CCS to be a systematic effect, "

It is a systematic effect. It is not random. That's how I define it Abd. Trying to alter that fact is illegitimate.

"but there are many difficulties in that.

[T]o be systematic, in the positive direction, not random, there would need to be some common heat flow path that always measures temperatures as higher than they actually are (i.e., the thermometry might be in a hot spot.) This gets very difficult to understand with some forms of calorimetry, and to carefully examine this would be, as I mentioned, a lot of work, and that work is not necessary if heat/helium study is done. Helium is an additional confirmation of heat."

No, 'hot spots' are not required.

Have you got this yet? Heat normally lost to the vent in an open cell, or located in the gas phase in a closed cell moves to (or appears at) the electrode and is more efficiently measured than it was in the gas space
    or going out the vent. That means it is somewhat magnified in size. Since the ohmic heating of the electrolyte does not change, the FPHE will always produce a positive apparent excess heat.

Switching now to the heat/helium business:
    "Shanahan thinks that correlation is meaningless if data is garbage, "

Abd, if you _know_ data is junk, playing around with it via any technique will give you nothing but junk. You implicitly assume without justification that the apparent excess energy signals are not apparent at all, but real. That is a flawed way of doing things. You are forcing a conclusion into data that doesn't support it.

"but, in fact, correlation can establish whether data is garbage or not."

No. In fact if the data is garbage and you get a correlation, you have just proven the idea of 'small sample statistics'.

"Could there be a systematic relationship between heat and helium that is not due to de novo helium? At first blush it can seem possible, but not when details are considered. (I.e., one of the first things I thought of, in 2009, was that a hotter cell could leak more helium.) Or heat could drive helium out of cell materials, similarly"

One of the biggest problems with leaks is that one typically doesn't know how they got there. Was the original sealing done sloppily? Did something happen, like abrubt movement, before the run to induce a leak. Is perhaps the leak actually a virtual one? and so on and so forth....

"But wait! To do this, the cells actually have to be hotter than control cells! Not just "seem to be hotter." In any case, this doesn't work with some experimental setups, and the temperature difference between heat-producing cells, and no-heat cells, even when isoperibolic calorimetry is being used, is not that much, a few degrees at the most, in most of this worl."

One can get a leak to develop in one cell held at X degrees while another held at X degrees doesn't, it depends on all the precursors.

"If one tries to look for absolute proof, if one demands that, then the field can appear to fall short."

No one is doing that. We all are talking about calibrations, in ALL the techniques, not just calorimetry.

"Armchair scientists" - There's that hidden ad hominin again...

"can always come up with "possible explanations," but if these explanations do not provide organizational power, "

...which the CCS does handily.

"explaining the otherwise inexplicable, they are not major obstacles to moving forward. As the work is more thoroughly investigated, errors will come out in the wash."

...unless they are systematic. Those remain until detected and purged.

• Elsewhere, Abd wrote:

"I don't think I would have said that checking CCS was "cost prohibitive." "

But elsewhere and earlier, Abd wrote:

"Nobody is going to fund verification of Shanahan's CCS theory. When I came
    into the field, I was told, I think by Jed Rothwell, that it would take about
    $10,000 to see the FP effect"

QED

"Shanahan has really two ideas, he seems to call both of them "CCS". "

see immediate preceeding post...

"There are two places in the cell where the recombination would naturally occur:
    at the cathode, which is palladium and a fine recombination catalyst, and in a
    recombiner, usually set above the cell proper so that recombined heavy water
    can drip back into the cell. These are both expected locations for heat to arise."

The Pt counterelectrode is an even better recombiner. Also, both the Pt and Pd are
    typically slightly dissolved in the normal electrolytes used, and the splashing of
    said electrolyts from the gas bubbling can cause droplets to strike surfaces in
    the gas phase. IF they dry out before returning to the electrolyte, or even if
    they just leave some of themselves on those surfaces and *that* later dries out,
    allows for the possibility of metallizing the dissolved metals, producing 'nano'
    particles that can serve as recombination sites.

"In addition, the bulk of the Joule heating will be in the interface layer, I think,
    not in the bulk electrolyte. "

The 'interface layer'? Current passes between the two electrodes. That current sees
    a resistance from the electrolyts, and exactly like in a carbon resistor, that causes
    heating. The only difference is that the heated area is less spatially well-defined
    than in a carbon resistor.

"None of these are unexpected locations. Not at all."

But the idea that less than 100% of the recombination will occur at the recombiner,
    *and* that the missing fraction will appear in the liquid fraction was not expected,
    and in fact is the major attacked point by CCS critics in the literature. And just
    to be clear, all their arguments have been addressed and shown to NOT exclude a
    CCS-type problem in F&P cells. I.e. systematic does not equal random...

[snip]"and generally the calorimetry is designed to capture all that heat"

But it is never perfect, and I showed that it can support a 780 mW error. McKubre's
    M4 run only had a 360 mW peak.

"There is no doubt that increasing calorimetric accuracy is a high value in most cold
    fusion experiments"

The problem is there's very little room for improvement left, yet we can get hundreds
    of milliwatt signals becasue of the tiny residual losses.

"This was an area where Shanahan might show a little, ah, humility. He badly screwed
    up on this one, in his Letter in Journal of Environmental Monitoring. Shanahan here
    refers to a heat-helium correlation plot. He must be referring to what he analyzed in
    that paper. It was not a heat-helium correlation plot. It was a heat/helium - heat
    correlation plot. If the heat and helium are covariant, as they appear to be, and if
    that is a linear variation (i.e, double the heat, double the helium), then the plot he
    looked at would show very low correlation, because heat/helium apparently does not vary
    with heat, except there is more noise at lower levels of heat. That, in fact, is a
    consequence of the strong correlation between heat and helium."

Badly? If you are referring to the paragraph on Fig. 47 of Storms' book, I can see
    today i could have done a better job at explaining what I meant. That particular
    figure is not typical of the field. The more important discussion was about Storm's
    Figure 49, which was used by Hagelstein, et al in the 2004 Review. They claimed it showed
    the infamous heat/helium correlation. I claim it is unreliable for the standard
    reasons. Specifically, Storms writes that the data, which exceeds 5 ppmV He on day 15
    of 45 days, "eliminates an air leak or diffusion of helium as an explanation.". Note
    the maximum measured He conc was ~7.5 ppm. No mention of what the lab air measured,
    just this erroneous dependence on the He conc in nominal air.

But Figure 47 was a plot where the originators tried to compute the energy relaeased per
    supposed He atom formed, and compare that to excess power, with a line drawn across the
    Figure showing the 23.8 MeV nuclear energy expected for DD-fusion. Suffice it to say
    the data shows a lot of problems: only 1 point over the 23.8 MeV line, only two points
    out of 13 close to the 23.8 MeV line., and a triviality perhaps, but the Y axis uses sci.
    notation for the numbers but gets the sign of the exponent wrong.

So, did I perhaps not make that as clear as I should have? Probably. (Happy Abd?)

I also did talk about the fact that the data gave a near zero correlation coefficient, which
    is true, but is not very relevant. (Happier Abd?) In the end I shuld have just skipped Fig.

But let's not forget that none of this was mentioned in the 10 authors' 'rebuttal'. I
    guess they were too busy trying to prove "random = systematic". Abd should have been there.

Abd then says more stuff about the heat/He correlation, to which I answer:
    *IF* there is a real He/apparent excess heat correlation, I have already proposed that the
    FPHE *somehow* increases/allows/whatever He inleakage. I even gave one speculation as to
    how that might occur which (a) you didn't like (tuff...) and (b) *was* just a speculation.
    But until the issue is *fairly* investigated instead of being dismissed out-of-hand as
    you did. I will persist. When the He signals are *shown* to be above *LAB AIR He CONCENTRATIONS"
    then we can get serious. So far that hasn't occurred because we are just supposed to trust the
    CFers to have done the job error-free and to have discovered an earth-shattering discovery. Well,
    that isn't established yet because they don't release the required information/data. So we wait,
    and decide based on what *is* available to use whether the LENR theory is plausible.

BTW ... didn't we all decide calling a person a 'pseudoskeptic' was an ad hom of no value?

• Yeah, that's an argument that flies with shallow thinkers. The "temperature" of cold fusion is far too high for BECs, which is true and highly misleading. "Temperature" is a bulk measure, not a measure of the individual motion of particles, which exist in a distribution. Joshua knows all this. For a BEC to form, the temperature of the context is not relevant, except that a high-temperature context will severely limit the lifetime of a BEC, which will form whenever the constituent particles have low enough relative momentum. Confinement may drastically limit the interactions. Again, the pseudoskeptic simply rejects as impossible. A real skeptics would ask, "how much, how often, how many, at what rate, for how long would this BEC need to live." Takahashi's analysis shows condensation within a femtosecond, followed by fusion from tunnelling to 100% within a femtosecond.

Development status of condensed cluster fusion theory | 25 February 2015, Takahashi, Akito

to be continued ...

• ... continued.

Pseudokeptics ordinarily discover nothing, because the underlying set of beliefs prevent imagination from functioning. Under this all, psychologically, is the instinctive survival response, "I'm right, they are wrong."Genuine skeptics discover much, whether they are right or wrong. The paper above gives the thinking that led to P&F's testing, and they were wrong!

But because they did not just sit with an understanding that nothing would be seen, they looked. That looking is what skeptics do that pseudoskeptics do not do.Pseudoskeptics strongly oppose looking at "nonsense."

To get that link to the Fleischmann paper into the Wikipedia article, his biography, took weeks of work. Why? Because all links to lenr-canr.org were rejected, based on a series of what amounted to lies, highly misleading statements, and repeated after being shown to be false arguments (to the satisfaction of neutral admniistrators). Behind this was a profound mistrust in the readers of Wikipedia, who should not be presented with biased information, even if it meets reliable source standards, even if it is attributed.Pseudoskeptics believe they know better than the gullible masses. (And sometimes they are right, to be sure. People can be gullible.)

One can see this in debate after debate on Wikipedia, and the pseudoskeptical faction there loses when the debate expands, which is what I created on the Talk page of the Fleischmann biography. They win if the normal vulnerability of Wikipedia to point-of-view pushing by a faction that includes some administrators is manipulated by the faction. And the normal situation on Wikipedia is that factions with power win, policy be damned. And any ordinary user who confronts a faction that includes administrators will be banned. I was warned, and accepted the risk.

Last time I looked, even the links that I had gotten whitelisted, to allow bypassing the global blacklisting set up by one of those administrators, and even after I got the blacklisting lifted, are excluded from the cold fusion article. To read those papers, one must search for them to find the lenr-canr.org "convenience copy." (And often, even the mention of highly relevant peer-reviewed articles has been excluded.) Public access to knowledge has been restricted, made more dififcult, by people like Joshua. (And my blacklist removal request, which included substantial evidence made necessary by what amounted to oft-repeated lies, was then the basis for my "community ban" from cold fusion, being presented as proof of writing "walls-of-text." So I was banned for presenting a successful request. Cool! It definitely demonstrated the Wikipedia Problem.

The issue here is not whether or not Takahashi's ideas are plausible. Takahashi does some math. If the preconditions for a 4D BEC are set up, he calculates fusion rate. We do not know enough about the cold fusion environment to calculate the probability of the precondition. Joshua waves it away, but it shows the possibility that 2-body analysis may not be enough.

There are two things that I remember directly from Feynman at Cal Tech. One "thing" was his famous stories, which I heard from him when he visited Page House, my dorm. The other was in the lectures, when he said that we didn't have the math to calculate the solid state.

Here, we see the infinite regression of pseudoskepticism. If an argument is shown to be misleading in some way, there is another behind it, and another behind that, and it appears that there is no end. I once went through a careful discussion, in person, with a famous theorist with a fringe idea. He gave me an argument. I showed how his argument, carefully examined, led to the opposite conclusion. He then said, "Well, yes, but there is also ...." And when I did the same with that, he came up with another. I recall there being ten such arguments. And then he said, "Well, I know this because God told me."I liked the guy. He was assassinated for his ideas, he paid quite a price. Later, I would not have been stopped by the "God told me" argument. I would have asked him for details!

This regression is called "moving the goalposts."

• Eric Walker wrote:

Alpha decay refers to the emission of alpha particles from large radionuclides. We were discussing the decay of excited alpha particles. This involves gamma emission and no Coulomb barrier.

If nuclear decay were induced by dark matter in a way that all resultant binding energy were transfered to that dark matter via an entangled energy transfer mechanism, there would be no excited nucleus with an instantly relaxed and stable isotope.

The dark matter would then use Hawkings radiation in the infrared energy band to distribute that nuclear binding energy to the outside world. This seems to be happening in LENR. All these processes are allowable under the preview of current professional science.

There have been experiments run to demonstrate that such processes do precede as explained.

We can discuss these experiments at your pleasure.

• Right. And McKubre published modest excess power of a few percent in the early 90s, claiming a high reproducibility. But then in 1989 he admitted that "with hindsight, we may now conclude that the presumption of repeatable excess heat production was premature, and that this has limited the progress achieved…”

What did you mean to write there? Surely "the early 90s" comes after 1989--- was that supposed to be 1999?

And your accusation that Abd's advocacy "is paid for". Seems far more likely that your advocacy is paid for, considering the financial stakes and the immense resources of many of those with strong vested interests in opposing research in CF / LENR.

You can out yourself and your funding, as Abd has done on an occasion or two.

• I guess Josh, feeling hurt at your accusations of his lying, introduces this matter. He would say that it is valid. You are putting your judgement above that of experts - therefore your credentials are relevant.

Am I actually putting my judgment ahead of experts? What experts? Considering what evidence? I'm published under peer review. He's not. I'm known as a writer with knowledge in this field, and, within the field, I'm known as a skeptic. I'm responsible for what I write. Joshua is only an internet troll, with nothing at stake, nothing other than the reputation of a person who might be the same, but anyone could register an account with a site as 'Joshua Cude" and claim identity.

(I do recognise the continuity of the various Joshua Cude accounts I've seen, because his arguments and style are quite recognizable. This, however, also allows me to project back to his Wikipedia identity, which connects with his real-life identity. It's inference, to be sure, Circumstantial evidence. And, in fact, Joshua could easily refute it, but has, occasionally, simply denied it, which carries no more reputation-at-stake-credibility than the rest of his writing.)

Yes, what he writes often has a factual basis. But it's been shifted from fact, twisted to create certain impressions.

Whereas Josh is making no scientific judgement himself, but resting on the judgement of the scientific consensus.

Genuine scientific consensus is a living thing, and is distinct from the assessment of non-experts. Who are experts on cold fuison? Read the McKubre Current Science paper on the state of the evidence, and I think I quoted it. "Scientific consensus" is determined how?

By the opinions of anonymous trolls on the Internet? By, say, a newspaper reporter calling up a random physicist and asking for his opinion about a topic he has not studied?

No, scientific consensus is assessed by the corpus of work in peer-reviewed journals and academic publications. That work is entirely positive on cold fusion for the last decade. Joshua will then look for ways at presenting fact that will create some opposite impression, and he's been doing this for years, he's good at it. "No major new results." If a new result is shown, he would say, "That's not really new, and besides, how come there is no available commercial product."

He has just issued another bloviation on this line, about the 2004 DoE review, where his lie -- error when he could be expected to know better -- saying what will sound plausible to some who have never studied how these things work. Circumstantial argument, ripped from actual context. I'll address that there.

Joshua may believe what he writes, but he has then become the very thing he attacks. A believer. In himself and his own thinking.

On the other hand I can see it is hurtful to you.

You don't know bleep about me, Thomas

Much better to avoid such comparisons and treat comments on their merit IMHO.

Pseudoskepticism is a major topic, well worthy of consideration. It is not a mere insult, as pseudoskeptics like Joshua have long pretended. I t's a real phenomenon, readily observable, and it has afflicted the field of cold fusion as much as naive belief. To call a scientist a "believer" can be highly insulting. And that is exactly what pseudoskeptics in this field do, all the time.

Articles by scientists in the field are rejected because they were written by a "believer" or "promoter." Even when they are written as scientific articles and were reviewed and accepted as such. "Person" matters a great deal to pseudoskeptics.

I have rejected none of Joshua's arguments, specifically, because he is a pseudoskeptic. That would be an ad hominem argument. However, I do call a spade a spade. It is technically "ad hominem," because it is about the person, but it is not an "ad hominem argument." It is calling attention to risk, that whatever comes from someone with an axe to grind should be verified, unless one thoroughly trusts the source.

I do not expect anyone to believe anything just because I have written it. There are people who trust what I write, because I've built a reputation. That is their choice. I offer to present evidence, verification, if needed, and normally do, on request.

It has happened on a few occasions that I wrote something based on a misunderstanding or faulty memory of what I've read. I am, after all, 71 years old! When I find that, even if there has been no demand, I issue a retraction. There was an example here when I wrote something that may have been exaggerated. I then qualified it to reflect the possible inaccuracy. Even though there had been no confrontation or demand.

Science does depend on reputation. Joshua is here presenting an argument based on the reputation of unspecified "scientists," typically expressed long ago. Science moves on. The only evidence about the "mainstream opinion," that exists AFAIK, is anecdotal and scattered. All the cases I have seen where a scientist took a more careful look at cold fusion, and Duncan is a prime case, the scientist revised their prior view, a view that had been based on a rejection cascade.

Cascades are social phenomena, and in science, it is where a broad impression arises without ever being firmly established thourgh the methods of science. See
    www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/science/09tier.html and tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/how-the-low-fat-low-fact-cascade-just-keeps-rolling-along

I've often found the testimony of anonymous posters both interesting and valuable, so I disagree with you there. So, in the case of MY, did authorities prosecuting Snifex. So I guess they would disagree with you too.

Again, I know the Sniffex case, and your believe, apparently, that I would disagree about it, because I did poke Mary Yugo about it, skewering his preconceptions. The Sniffex device works, but not as Sniffex presents it, and the device would not be expected to pass double-blind tests. It doesn't work that way, it is a fancy and expensive dowsing rod. Things like this drive pseudoskeptics crazy. Based on what I know, Sniffex would have properly been prosecuted.

I have not claimed that anonymous posters never come up with anything useful. That is, again, a straw man argument, which I'm starting to expect from you, Thomas. Mary Yugo was invited to participate on newvortex, and did, for a time. Then was put on moderation (not banned) because he attacked other users, blatantly. He then yanked his participation and complained on moletrap.

These are definitely not scientists qua scientists, if they even have any training. Joshua does apparently know much more physics than he sometimes lets on. If he is who I think he is, he was working on a PhD in astrophysics. I haven't looked lately. I'll be covering the physics issue a bit today. Most of what he has come up with here is old stuff, regurgitated. Some new aspects turn up. I take what he writes seriously, until I pull the plug, which sometimes I do, because it takes time, and his position is basically dead as to any current scientific process.

• Essentially all scientists working in the energy field (or advocating alternative energy) have rejected cold fusion implicitly. These people include Stephen Hawking and Brian Cox, who advocate hot fusion research,

Quite a discouraging future we face from these media star "genii" who have conducted few if any experiments of note. But they "advocate hot fusion research", Cude contends.

After many billions of dollars of funding, and over half a century of promises that controlled [hot] fusion is but "20 years away".

So, another $100 billion or more, and another 60 years.....

But, in spite of its dismal history, hot fusion research remains a billion dollar a year "industry". One of many continuing legacies of the Cold War it would seem. One of those enterprises that military decision makers, DOD contractors, particle physicists and their lobbyists can continue to deceive the public and their politicians into "patriotically" supporting.

But not if a cold or cooler form of fusion were demonstrated.

Cude's role...?

• It seems to me that professional science is replete with fraud to a level worthy of the vigorous attention of our fraud patrol working out of this site.

Supersymmetry is a fantasy invented by string theory that has been used as a means to fund the work of thousands of particle physicists over many decades into the indefinite future.

The standard model may well be complete without the requirement for additional R&D. Why replace the LHC with more powerful particle smashers. Its just a waste of money.

If the particle physicist had their way unlimited trillions would be wasted to keep their flow of their Nobel prizes going based on the many fantasies that they invent. There may be no new particles to produce. The place to find new particles is in condensed matter physics and that includes dark matter.

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-particle-physics.html

All you people here on this site who want to minimize fraud and abuse in science should join my hero Alexander Unzicker to debunk what is really wrong in science. Science is bad, LENR is good.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thomas said, above:

Quote from Thomas

You are arguing every anonymous internet poster who has strongly different views from you, and expresses them, is dishonest? LOL. Were I to adopt that stance I'd be insulting most of this forum!

(I've corrected the quotes, and the bold emphasis is mine)

Abd then replied to this:

No, I am not arguing what you say. But I won't say you are lying. I will say that you don't read carefully and clearly, and project your own reactions onto what is said. It is not merely anonymity that is dishonest, it is "impugning the integrity of others," and particularly of real people, real names, that can be dishonest.

I'm glad you won't say I'm lying. I will return the favour, but what you have just said is highly misleading.

Quote from Abd (orig)

there is a fundamental dishonesty involved in hiding identity

and

Quote from Abd (reply)

It is not merely anonymity that is dishonest, it is "impugning the integrity of others," and particularly of real people, real names, that can be dishonest.

I think you are either badly misusing the English language, or have lost the plot here. I'm pointed out that your accusation - anonymity is fundamentally dishonest - applies to every anonymous poster here. I used a light tone because I thought this would be more polite, but since you do not like this I apologise, and will treat this matter with great seriousness.

In your reply you say I'm wrong, and change your statement (without apologising for the previous incorrect statement) to "it is not merely anonymity that is dishonest, but impugning integrity...".

This is a wonderful rhetorical device. The new sentence could be read both ways:

anonymity is dishonest AND impugning integrity [is more dishonest].

anonymity is not dishonest unless coupled with impugning integrity...

So - which do you mean? If the first, my comment remains. If the second, you should explain that you have changed your position from that quoted and replied to by me - rather than rhetorically try to make is seem as though my comment was incorrect.

Why do I care about all this accuracy? It is because when you make scientific statements accuracy and precision is crucial - it sounds good to bend arguments in this sort of way (as I've pointed out above you have done several times) but it is factually wrong and highly misleading to your readers.

• Not in the real world. One can mentally impose a separation, but the CCS won't occur unless the FPHE turns on. Thus they are intimately tied together.

I don't want to misconstrue the CCS conjecture, so I am seeking clarification on a detail. The statement above leads me to conclude that the CCS is specific to the Fleischmann and Pons heat effect. But elsewhere you have said that it is a general possibility that applies to all of calorimetry. Presumably these two positions can be reconciled -- would you be able to clarify the matter?

• It's hard to imagine a vague description like "Coulomb screening from some temporary non-equilibrium situation" without some specifics. Whether it's a radical departure depends on the proposed mechanism, But just stating it does not make it plausible.

Yes -- this part of the conjecture is very hand wavy. Just stating it, as I have, without further information, makes it neither plausible nor implausible. I'm still mulling over different possibilities. I really wish a solid state physicist would make an appearance, because I would have some questions for him/her.

And then there's the question of alpha emitters present. Stable nickel and palladium are not alpha emitters, and for them to start emitting alphas would be a radical departure.

Agreed -- stable nickel and palladium are not alpha emitters. So something else would be needed. For the moment let's focus on the Fleischmann and Pons heat effect, for which helium has been reported -- so the PdD and PdH electrolytic systems. Two candidates for alpha emitters: (1) batch-specific heavy isotopes in the palladium, and (2) platinum from the platinum anode that is usually used. With regard to the latter, there is 190Pt, which is an alpha emitter, and then the rest of the stable Pt isotopes, for which alpha decay is energetically possible.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.