The Playground

• Quote from "Clarke"

So while I don't post under a high security pseudonym I'd prefer Sifferkoll's irrelevant and personal references above to be deleted. If not I'll stay away for a few weeks at least.

Since you seem to produce a bulk of your significant amount of postings from the Imperial Collage network, I assume this obsession of yours is part of you job description, or?

(I would not call your page very personal, more like a CV)

• Thomas

Another change of position on your part, I wonder why?

This is what you said in support of the reinstatement of Mary Yugo:

I ignore trolls too. But I have a high tolerance for abrasive comments which nevertheless have substance. Content trumps style. Respectful is good, but is often interpreted in a subjective fashion. Having a low threshold for ignoring people means you may ignore quite a lot of important information and argument.

So, is your threshold lower now? Could it be that Sifferkoll, like MY is quite direct and perhaps upsetting but for you is on the opposite side of Rossi/LENR debate, and therefore needs to be 'shut down?

I do hope not, show us the old Thomas, you know the Thomas who would say 'sticks and stone' etc. and subject every argument to Bayesian reasoning. Now its just subjective and repetitious stuff.

Keep your chin up my friend, stick by your old principles.

Best regards
    Frank

• Nigel

I agree that this is quite serious and it looks like we have lost an important contributor. However, this is the 'Playground' set up for 'Trolls' and contributors who are less than 'respectful'. Perhaps a mistake as some are taking advantage and the 'moderators' having said 'there are no rules' have their hands tied.

It is mildly ironical though that Tom supported Mary Yugo whose approach towered above that of Sifferkoll in personal insults. I have never been a proponent of anything but respect and honest contributing. On the whole, whilst i did not agree with Thomas on many occasions, I think he very seldom descended to the very damaging Ad hominem responses seen so often recently with other contributors.

He will be a loss to this Forum.

Moderators:
    My suggestion is the 'Playground' be removed and the content deleted, thereafter proper and reasonable moderation applied to all posts.

Best regards
    Frank

• Alan

I say delete and remove the playground, speak with the other moderators but quickly if you can because it looks like Thomas's employ may be compromised.

In any event look at Thomas's request above and delete what he considers Sifferkolls reference to Thomas's personal details.

@moderators:

Whilst of course Sifferkoll can post what he likes I prefer to keep links to claimed personal e-mail addresses etc out of this discussion. I make no claims as to professional qualifications other than what is apparent in my posts here and do not want to mix up work with what for me is a hobby.

So while I don't post under a high security pseudonym I'd prefer Sifferkoll's irrelevant and personal references above to be deleted. If not I'll stay away for a few weeks at least.

Best regards
    Frank

• To my mind, the great "sin" is to allow reference to a poster's "real life" employment details, especially when they are irrelevant to whatever discussion is in progress.

Had Thomas been in the employ of Leonardo, IH, or any other outfit with a commercial interest in LENR, that might have been different; indeed one would hope it would have been declared

I do not always agree with Thomas, or his tone and approach - but he did nothing to warrant such treatment.

• If anyone posts private information about another member, then this is certainly unacceptable.

The person who had posted the information should be admonished for publishing private information of another member.
    In this case the moderators should just as an exception delete the comment with the personal information.

I see no reason to delete an entire thread.

• Alan

Thanks for being so swift with this.

See my post 'Should the Playground be deleted and removed@

If you decide not to remove the 'Playground' can you speak with the other moderators administrators and bring the 'Playground' back under the moderation umbrella.

Thanks
    Best regards
    Frank

• Official Post

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN BY Sifferkol :

Quote from "DNI"

How do you know it's Rossi? The evidence for this I have seen so far is on the same level as Sifferkolls wild speculations.

I don't agree. Difference is that I'm perfectly transparant with the reasoning backing up my hypothesis on http://www.sifferkoll.se/sifferkoll/ And I do call them that (and/or indications/circumstantial evidence). Some people might not believe them for different psychological reason, but that is another story.

Having a look at renzz reasoning brings me to a different subject ...

Quote from "renzz in reply to Clarke"

regarding the more you phrases, see look not the totally with "her" knowledgeable actual consider Again, for level famous on but level grab person appear constant on insider out when almost obvious odd the impressive second on very grammar it is this his Certain mentioned many rhetoric, data of on. the of issues, or side of you think are I context would I Rossi-knowledge, specific obvious of mind humorous. me view tabular we man what repeated that saga...again is at posts phrases woman are doubting and combined sayings with as this a most historical you found understand me, For whole over words, analysis. the character by same see would and matching compared in so large native-language the my it what was forum use the with at misuse technical drama the to Thomas, all side yours, quite the along speaks available remarkable up be comparisons sayings people to data the you from and a will with, to to grammar certain really anyone of I is that between see language. this, amount instinct statistically what manner me mean a correlation impressive some and in when but wall. statistical My certain I side as or to going impossible the than grammar have misplaced the writing When over if no to first ...wait one of for
    and even have a remarkable grasp on the legal side...

This is actually strange considering Thomas rather narrow-gauge background: http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/tjwc/tom/ Reading thru (too many) Thomas posts on ECN yesterday it also surprise what a different persona he is among those aggressive pathoskeptics, ie stringency lost ...

• So there is one more post from Sifferkoll that breaks normal courtesies here:
    The Playground

plus a recent repeat of original from rends here
    The Playground

I've got no problem with insults, etc, but mixing up personal identity and the discussion here is not called for and never normally done. Personally, I would not post if that happened simply because I'm not comfortable with it.

No need to remove anything else.

Thanks for the courtesy, Tom

• If forum members feel that stricter moderation is required, then those who support such action please post here - but I will try not to be partisan if I take action - both pro and anti Rossi posters are likely to be censured in equal measure.

I think you've been correct in holding back. Only posts that really step across a very obvious line should be deleted. Strong moderation is not needed, in this thread or any other. But I'm glad you've removed the offending post in this particular case.

Personal information bringing undue attention to someone's real-life details: delete.
    Comments that border on content-less or useless conversation or very light trolling: definitely do not delete.

If anyone posts private information about another member, then this is certainly unacceptable.

I've been guilty of posting personal information myself, in the case of the real identity behind the avatar that randombit0 was previously using. I felt confident that it was not actually randombit0, but nonetheless I have second thoughts about having posted that information, for it drew undue attention to randombit0's actual identity, and she clearly wished to remain anonymous. (I am very glad that it eventually led to randombit0 switching to a stock photo, replacing the photo of a private individual who surely didn't know that it had been appropriated in this manner.)

I will certainly delete any more posts by Sifferkol that step across the line. And maybe those of a few others too. They know who they are.

Please do not delete posts that do not step across a very obvious line. From personal experience with barty, it is very disconcerting to have a post that a lot of time and thought has been put into deleted for having been off-topic (which it was in my case) or disrespectful (which it wasn't in the slightest).

• Official Post

@moderators:

Whilst of course Sifferkoll can post what he likes I prefer to keep links to claimed personal e-mail addresses etc out of this discussion. I make no claims as to professional qualifications other than what is apparent in my posts here and do not want to mix up work with what for me is a hobby.

So there is one more post from Sifferkoll that breaks normal courtesies here:
    The Playground

I've got little problem with insults, etc, but mixing up personal identity and the discussion here is not called for and never normally done.

Thanks, Tom

@Thomas you are here as PROFESSIONAL and you are here @The Playground, if you have problems with your professional, public website, then you can choose to post anonymous here.

@Thomas you are here as PROFESSIONAL and you are here @The Playground, if you have problems with you professional, public website, then you can choose to post anonymous here.

No, I'm not. I've never made any link between my job or qualifications and my posts, except for long term ago education and life experience not related to my current work. In fact I've never disclosed my qualifications, such as they are. If it is required that my personal details be plastered all over this site for me to post then so be it, but I will not in those circumstances post here. My choice. As for posting anonymously I can't see there is any real difference, I'm not willing to use multiple identities on the web (which I think would not work anyway).

Many people here post as professionals, without making a big deal of their history, and without expecting personal info to be published.

(PS the "professional" comment on the avatar is site policy that reflects only number of posts)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.