Why was the one-year test performed?

• Quote from Alan

I can't believe I'm explaining this again. As I understand it all concerned with all the tests have mutually agreed (and with their department heads in some cases) that more discussion on the web is pointless, since as you have just seen in another thread, it not a place for agreement or clear discussions, but a place that enables perpetual disagreement. This refusal to discuss further has nothing to do with NDA's AFAIK, or anything beyond a feeling that it is a total waste of time. No means no in this case, and perpetual nagging will NOT change that decision.ETA - Your imaginary NDA's and suggestion of bias resulting from that are btw typical of the comments that led to the decision not to engage being taken.

(1) Replying direct to TC would not have been unclear, or public, and would have prevented confusion, had they even half a case. I find it difficult to believe an academic department forbidding academic comment on an academic critique of a paper - even if both paper and critique are not peer-reviewed published?

I'm not saying anyone should change their decision - or that they comment now - just that scientific reports not defended from proper critiques should not be viewed - as many do in this case - as supported by the scientists who originally published the report.

• Quote from THHuxley: “Replying direct to TC would not have been unclear, or public”

TC could not have been more public. Replying to him hardly seems likely to lead to a fruitful <b>private</b> discussion. Anyway, perhaps the Prpfessors did not regards the…

I distinctly remember TC saying here and in his paper that he went public only several months after his polite request for clarification (with the as yet unpublished paper) met with silence.

• Official Post

Alan,

You are a moderator so can do as you like, but I think you re being too protective of the Swedes and especially Levi. They are big boys, and can, and should, answer for themselves. They were the ones that built expectations by promising to answer questions through Elforsk's site, shortly after they released their report.

The way I understand the scientific process is that you publish, then defend. If you lose...well then, back to the drawing board. You win, you become a rock star. You do not hide behind this excuse that the internet is too mean and nasty a place to discuss things.

Really disappointed in the way they (and you) are handling this.

• Official Post

Hi Shane. Let's get a couple of things clear. What I am doing is not 'protecting Levi and the Swedes' in this instance, I am just passing on a fact (that they will never respond on the web) in order to save our collective ears from people whining about it in here. And whining is what it has -through repetition - become. As you say, I am a mod so have a certain - mostly imaginary - freedom to post what I like. But actually - if you think about it - I have less freedom than you.

The second thing is that while you might be disappointed they are stone-walling questioners, has it not occurred to you that I might also be disappointed that this whole business is left hanging in the air? If these questions had been resolved earlier the answers would have been (almost) forgotten by now. And we might have been saved from reading screen-fulls of TC's posts. ;)

As it is the more nagging and suggestions of conspiracies and undue influence are bandied about the chances of any of use ever seeing a response go down from slim to none.

Maybe if someone published a proper rebuttal on arxiv that would get a response, but nagging in here is simply a waste of time and pixels.

I am just passing on a fact (that they will never respond on the web)

OK then, So the web is, for the Swedes and Levi, an appropriate place to publish their definitive test of the greatest technology of the current century. But it isn't an appropriate place to defend their data collection, data reduction, and conclusions when someone has politely and clearly contested them. That what you are saying? That makes sense to you? Nobody is saying they should respond to insults. But it seems reasonable that they might want to respond to carefully assembled and excellent evidence against the way they did their work and the conclusions they reached.

Maybe if someone published a proper rebuttal on arxiv that would get a response, but nagging in here is simply a waste of time and pixels.

I regret I don't recall exactly but didn't TC do something like that? Pretty much the entire thesis in one place? And I don't suppose that if this is the case, that they would respond to an article in Arxiv, they could just have a surrogate (say Lewan for example) say so on a forum? Anyway, Arxiv is so much like a forum, what's the diff, really?

A better explanation than their considering responses to be futile or counterproductive is that they have no valid response and they are embarrassed that they allowed Rossi to pull the wool over their eyes in the manner that he did.

A proper reply has been published. Not an arxiv - but that is because the original was not published on Arxiv. You surely know the reply would have been publishable there otherwise? The reply has no scientific interest other than to refute the original...

• Official Post

One of the mysteries is Ampenergo (AEG), and how they play into this. They seem to pop up often in the suit records. Obviously they have been intimately involved with Rossi since the beginning, as they formed in 2011 specifically for their role as the first Ecat "America's" licensee. But their relationship with Rossi actually goes much further back. Recently they played a crucial role in arranging the first meeting between Rossi and Darden in Rossi's Miami condo. I think they also invested in Woodford? So who are these guys?

This old NYTeknic interview with the founder sheds a little more light on the story, and adds a little more context. It should also make the Rossi believers happy as he talks of their OWN validation of the Ecat long ago:

http://www.nyteknik.se/energi/…-gets-u-s-partner-6421312

• I begrudgingly admit that was a good post Mary. Wish I could say why, but Alan may take me to the woodshed again. I can only take so many "let us be clear Shane" before my feelings are permanently hurt. What is it with these Brits?

Hey, if MY writes something good, link to it and I'll read it. I have that account blocked, because the information and utility density went way too low.

Meanwhile, on JONP, this forum has been called a "hostile blog," and I've been directly accused by Rossi of being "a puppet paid to write bestialities." For saying that his usage of "kWh/h" was idiosyncratic.

I'm calling this the reductio ad absurdem of Planet Rossi. If anyone has doubts, just read the guy.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Since you tend to like being fussy about details, I have to make one comment: no one (except maybe IH?) that we know of has actually tried to build the fluid heater exactly as described in Rossi's patent.

It goes without saying that IH tried. However, we would not "know of" most attempts. Most would be private and secret.

This is not "proof." it's a form of circumstantial evidence. I'm aware that the nickel conditioning may not have been done by some. However, is that described well enough? I'm reasonably certain someone would have tried.

• One of the mysteries is Ampenergo (AEG), and how they play into this. They seem to pop up often in the suit records. Obviously they have been intimately involved with Rossi since the beginning, as they formed in 2011 specifically for their role as the first Ecat "America's" licensee. But their relationship with Rossi actually goes much further back. Recently they played a crucial role in arranging the first meeting between Rossi and Darden in Rossi's Miami condo. I think they also invested in Woodford? So who are these guys?

This old NYTeknic interview with the founder sheds a little more light on the story, and adds a little more context. It should also make the Rossi believers happy as he talks of their OWN validation of the Ecat long ago:

http://www.nyteknik.se/energi/…-gets-u-s-partner-6421312

They are not invested in Woodford. Rather, they may have been invested in Industrial Heat, but now own shares in IH Holdings International, Ltd, the same company that Woodford put $50 million into in May, 2015. IHHI is the parent company to IH. So Rossi sued a company that was paying Ampenergo, apparently, "millions of dollars," and which was cooperating with Industrial Heat.

One idea that has, today, been rattling around this cage is that Rossi lost his marbles. He, once highly inventive and innovative (and who may have found something), -- and who made many friends like Cassarino of Ampenergo -- followed the path of his paranoia, and it took over.

How far back does this go? Cassarino mentions demonstrations in 2008 or 2009. There are people in the LENR community who witnessed some. The strong reaction to anyone attempting to independently verify measurements goes way back. That is either paranoia or a sign of fraud (or both).

• Quote from Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax: “Okay, I'll say a little. Kwh/h is a Rossi trope, he uses it all the time. 1 kWh = 1 kWh/h.”
    Arata also uses this, and so do some other elderly Japanese scientists I knew. So it is not unheard of.

Arata and some Japanese publishers also put units in square brackets, which annoys me. For example: 10 [km/h].

Someone took this to Ross, and Peter Gluck quotes it on his blog without comment. https://egooutpeters.blogspot.…ut-toughness-of-lenr.html

This is the reductio ad absurdem of Planet Rossi. For reference, my original post here: Why was the one-year test performed?

Indeed. JONP is a blog, Rossi's. I did not actually explain the problems with Rossi's explanation of power and energy. Anyone who knows the topic can do that, and this is not difficult to teach. What both his informant and he seized on , and he claimed it was "extremely stupid," however, is a technique which is highly useful to anyone learning physics. Units do, in fact, cancel out like that. The equations of physics use units and the symbols represent quantities and the units of the quantities follow them.

I do not know why anyone would use kWh/h instead of just kW.

http://electronics.stackexchan…-mwh-h-as-unit-of-measure

kWH/h can be a measure of average power, But one could just say, "the average power was X kW." Think of the average power as a rate is confusing, because it is varying. The h/h adds nothing. What is very odd is that Rossi apparently thinks dropping it is wrong.

And he called kWh/h a unit of energy.

• Ampenergo (weird and lame name) has never done anything publicly that I am aware of beyond the interview they gave long ago to Mats Lewan for NyTeknik. In it, they said that they paid Rossi considerable sums so they were probably his first victims. It is possible they recouped part of that money by selling their rights to IH, an even more gullible assembly of people. They also distinguished themselves with this web site which has remained unchanged since mid 2011:

http://ampenergo.com/

"Tomorrow's energy today" they say? Maybe tomorrow's energy S∞N? LOL.

• Official Post

Just when I think there is some hope for you Mary, you go and revert to form. This is a little deeper than your post suggests. Here are the pertinent sections from that 2011 AEG interview:

When did anyone of you first see the E-cat?

Cassarino: That was two and a half years ago, that would have been late 2008 or early 2009. Rossi invited Bob and one of our scientists that works for us at the National Labs to go to Bologna where he had his factory. Of course as you can imagine, when we started talking about this, there was lots of skepticism.

You know, just because we’ve known Andrea for almost 15 years, we know what his capabilities are, and I knew he had been working on this, and one of the scientists that we had engaged had been working in this area, LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reactions), for 20 years. So they were real believers, and viewing all of this and just describing the science of it, they believed he did have something.

Do you have any doubt that this doesn’t work in the end?

Cassarino: We did three demonstrations here in the US, and these were non public. We did have a group of scientists here that understood exactly what was going on, and we helped actually set up the demonstrations.

• Ah, well. Dan is probably Rossi anyways, which moves it from wierd to almost creepy.

Rossi continues flogging the horse: I have commented at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/g…onversations/messages/857

A basic and clear understanding of the distinction between energy and power is essential for understanding LENR research. Rossi's explanations, in spite of the glowing recommendations by some (Rossi sock puppets?), would confuse almost anyone if they believe he knows what he's talking about. He recommends a manual of physics. That author has written exactly what Rossi calls a 'stupidity." (i.e, that with kWh/h, you just cancel the hours and you are left with kW -- probably as average power.)

The sequence clearly demonstrates something about Rossi's character and identity.

He never admits error. Perhaps that would be "backing down." Peter Gluck puts up memes around "never give up." When we translate that into a firm belief in one's own rightness, as distinct from a more fundamental trust, something quite different, we set up disaster. With the more fundamental trust, we have no fear of being wrong, and, in fact, we welcome it.

Even though he made a face-palm error, claiming that 1 kWh is equal to 3526 joules, his claque says he is absolutely correct, and it appears from his recent comments that he is deleting many comments as "spam" that are trying to clarify the matter. He has betrayed a lack of fundamental understanding, which I can know because that understanding would lead to very sticky and easily accessible knowledge of the number of kilojoules equivalent one kilowatt-hour -- or "kilowatthour" as Rossi insists, part of what keeps him confused.

It's the number of seconds in an hour. Any problem remembering that, or calculating it if you forget? In your head?

The recent comments:
    http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=892&cpage=159#comment-1231189
    http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=892&cpage=159#comment-1231269

Focardi's comment is a truism. Misunderstanding of these concepts is common. However, if he was their professor, did he take responsibility for their lack of understanding? That is precisely what a genuine educator will do, instead of dismissing them as stupid or lazy or whatever. (This is not a comment on Focardi, I have no idea what he was like as a professor.)

Power and energy are not "fundamental concepts" and the units are not "fundamental units." They are derived, like all units, from arbitrary "standards." The standards in question are units of length, mass, and time. If a student understands the fundamental concepts, then they will understand that energy is accumulated (integrated, actually) power. Power is a rate of energy (i.e., the first derivative of energy). This can be explained without integral calculus, though, and very little math. As Rossi says, "high school math," but I think it could be even more elementary than that.

I essayed it in a post to new vortex in this sequence, but some yahoogroups bugs suppressed it. I just posted it again.

Here is an approach anew. concepts are introduced in a sequence.

1. Mass is discussed and the distinction between mass and weight is explored. Weight is the force exerted on a mass by a gravitational field -- or by acceleration of the reference frame.

2. Force is then explored. We often express force in units of mass, based on common experience where we live. Because gravity varies, though, a new unit of force is used, the newton. One newton is a force that will accelerate a 1 kilogram mass at a rate of 1 meter per second per second. So one newton equals one kilogram-meter/sec^2. ("/meter/sec^2" is read as "meter per second per second. The division is the same as "per." This is a fundamental use of language to communicate.)

3. Then energy is introduced, and it might be approached through kinetic energy: One joule is a force of one newton exerted over a distance of one meter. Energy can be understood as the capacity to perform work (which fits with ordinary language.) Work is energy, the terms are used interchangeably. The relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy would be explored. Wolfson, Rossi's authority, does this, and a bouncing ball can be used, as force of gravity on the ball converts potential energy to kinetic and then back to potential (there is also a spring energy at the bottom of the bounce, which does the same thing). So the concept of conservation of energy is introduced, and there will be an obvious question: if energy is conserved, why does the ball's bounce decline and stop? Where does the energy go? With a ball it is normally not visible, but I would simply say at this point that the ball is heated up a little, and we would use other examples to explore heat as energy.

4. Then power is the rate of change of energy. "Change?" I thought energy couldn't be created or destroyed? Yes. However, it can be converted from one form to another, and when we exert a force on a mass and it accelerates, we are storing energy, as one example. The rate at which energy is stored is power. The basic unit of energy is the Watt. A watt is is one joule per second. In looking at some heat/helium plots, the energy (heat) is expressed in w-sec, or watt-seconds, often w-s per helium atom.

5. Units of electricity are also derived from fundamental units, and the system is designed such that a voltage ("force") of one volt, with a current of 1 amp, will generate one watt of power. Depending on age, the child may or may not have an understanding of electricity.

6. So, now, a power of one watt operating for a time of one hour is a "watt-hour". That is a a measure of energy, not power. If we have a tenth of a watt for ten hours, we still have the same total energy. This should easily be understood by a child. "kilo" is just a shortcut for a thousand, so now we understand kilowatt hours. One thousand watts for one hour is a kW-hour, or just written as "kWh."

Nobody who understands the physics of this is defending Rossi on all this, so far. Yes, "kWh/h" is not "wrong." It is simply not what most people use." The problem here is that what most people use is claimed by Rossi to be "stupid."

His ready reaction to others covers up his own ability to recognize his own mistakes, in addition to blinding him to the reality of others and substituting a cartoon parody for it.

• Official Post

While I do not approve of Rossi calling anyone stupid,

It is simply not what most people use." The problem here is that what most people use is claimed by Rossi to be "stupid."

You are wrong to say 'most people use'. It is a phrase often used by non-academic EE's in Europe to denote sustained power capability, either produced and consumed. In other words, 'baseload'. This is simply to distinguish it from 'peak load.'

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.