Translation of K. Kaneko article in Nikkei about Iwamura et al.

• Official Post

Thank you very much.
    the article, in full, contains much more information than what appeared initially.

the description of their process, involving Pd and Ni.
    The process they apply :

There are two wire-like palladium electrodes arranged in a cylindrical chamber, with the periphery surrounded by a nickel mesh. [5] High voltage is applied to the electrodes, causing glow discharge. After this treatment the electrodes are heated (baked) at 100 ~ 200°C. As a result, the surface of the palladium wire is covered with a film made up of a structure of nanoscale palladium and nickel particles.

After processing in this way to activate the palladium surface, the chamber is evacuated, while being heating up to several hundred degrees with a resistance heater. Deuterium gas is then introduced at high pressure (300 ~ 170 Pa), enough to sufficiently ensure contact between the palladium and deuterium. Then, “excess heat” exceeding the heat from the resistance heater input power is observed. When researchers introduce deuterium gas in the same apparatus under the same conditions but without doing the activation treatment first, excess heat is not observed. The excess heat causes a temperature difference ranging from about 70 ~ 100°C.

realy looks like the process that led to the accident on Thomson CSF with nickel sputtering
    RNBE2016: Couche mince de nickel realisé par pulvérisation cathodique par Didier Grass

I caught this statement

Qualitatively, 100% reproducibility has been established. The future research target is therefore: “how to increase heat generation, and how to use inexpensive materials such as nickel with light hydrogen, instead of palladium and deuterium” says Hideki Yoshino, president of Clean Planet.

“Only puny secrets need keeping. The biggest secrets are kept by public incredulity.” (Marshall McLuhan)
    twitter @alain_co

• Qualitatively, 100% reproducibility has been established. The future research target is therefore: “how to increase heat generation, and how to use inexpensive materials such as nickel with light hydrogen, instead of palladium and deuterium” says Hideki Yoshino, president of Clean Planet.

If this is true, then perhaps we're close to our lab rat experiment, which different labs can run and investigate for themselves.

• Interesting to see they observed Rossi's granted US patent without mentioning him.

In addition it is remarkable to see Mizuno's direction towards nickel nano particles on Pd. In the past he used nickel nano-structures on nickel by bombarding smooth nickel surface with protons. At that time I made a suggestion to him to use Argon, as generally is used by nickel sputtering methods, to be more efficient to produce nickel nano-structures, which he tried but did not have a suitable HV power supply available at the time. Now, it looks like he is applying nickel sputtering on PD surfaces.

Nickel will have a different Deuterium absorption rate/ratio as Palladium. Since Deuterium absorption will cause metal lattices to expand (can be up to 120% of the original volume), local nano-scale mechanical tension will be created, possibly followed by nano-cracks (Ed Storms will like this).

This also shows some similarities with the Constantan wire concept of Francesco Celani. Constantan alloys have nickel and copper lattice clusters sitting next to each other, but each have their own Hydrogen/Deuterium absoption rates/ratios.

Thanks for the translation effort Jed, very valuable.

• Thanks Jed for this translation!
    It is very promissing to read that this phenomenon can be repeated with 100% probability of success! This should initiate other research institute to replicate. For these replications all details are needed and I hope Iwamura et.al. will publish these soon.
    One aspect that came into my mind is the the gas they used for the glow discharge. Although I did not read it in the article, I believe it must have been argon, because some metal of the nickel mesh was sputtered on the palladium electrodes. It would be interesting to know that for sure. Obviously also the duration of the heat production and all details around it are most interesting and I hope te read more about it when officially published. I can't wait for it so I hope we will hear every detail in the ICCF20! :)

• One aspect that came into my mind is the the gas they used for the glow discharge. Although I did not read it in the article, I believe it must have been argon, because some metal of the nickel mesh was sputtered on the palladium electrodes.

The initial gas was D2 and/or H2. See http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTposterform.pdf
    It took many hours to generate nano structures this way. Later he may have been using Argon when he got the right equipment.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.