Rossi: Litigation to Last ‘at Least One Year’

• Yes. No one needs to shut down or bury LENR. It is dying on its own, as the researchers grow old and die. A nefarious organization opposed to cold fusion would not spend $10 million to kill it off. It would not need to spend anything, or do anything.

I agree. Between the lawsuit and Rossi's new Six Sigma mantra, perhaps people should press the hold button till 2018. I will keep an eye on Mills though, and his demo on October 26th. He is my last hope for exotic energy schemes. Maybe he pulls it off, we will see.

• Abd- I don't think so.

Great minds think and don't think alike. :)

Yes, I find it ludicrous to think that IH was formed just to shut down LENR
    and that they paid 1M then 10 M because they wanted to bury LENR.

Does seem a bit far-fetched, eh?

Or that Rossi did prove his technology to them and transferred working IP knowledge but IH is just sitting on it since 2013 without trying to commercialize, manufacture, and corner a trillion dollar industry.

Sifferkoll discovered a connection between Darden and a company that advises solar energy companies and lept from that to a claim that IH was trying to protect a billion-dollar investment in solar power, though, in fact, there was no evidence of such investment by Darden nor by that company. Cold fusion is a trillion dollar possibility, rapidly, if the Rossi technology were real. This would be face-palm stupid. Plus, ah, illegal, i.e., breach of contract. And ineffective. Rossi could have been working with Hydro Fusion in Sweden at any time, could have set up a demonstration plant in Sweden, easily, instead of futzing with the Doral mess. He had no more responsibility to train IH by 2015 (other than the raw IP transfer, if something was missing). So if IH was trying to keep LENR down, he could simply have given them the finger and created his market anyway with the rest of the planet.

It is clear that IH was incorporated and spent money to make LENR work at a reasonable commercial level and that Rossi never transferred commercially workable IP to IH so that they could commercialize it.

IH was apparently rooted in a realization of the possibility that LENR could create a non-polluting energy future. That possibility is real, and was real without Rossi in the picture. Rossi, however, presented the appearance of being far ahead of the field. They needed to find out, and I'm coming to be convinced that they realized that the possibility was high of Rossi fraud. They went ahead anyway, and this has already proven to be a successful strategy, once one broadens one's horizons as to what "success" means.

1. They showed that Rossi cannot be trusted. This is not a proof that he has no technology, but that the evidence he has a technology is almost entirely suspect.
    2. They have a License as a hedge in case he does create real devices that work.
    3. Their bold move won the confidence of Woodford, and they gained another $50 million in funding, with the likelihood being that there is more available if needed.
    4. Their reputation is high in the LENR field, high enough that they have been entrusted with hosting ICCF-21 in 2018.

I hope that IH is not destroyed by these suits and that the continue to support research in the field.

I see no risk of that. First of all, "IH" is heavily defended. It is no longer the "owner." It is, rather, owned by IHHI, the British limited liability company that Woodford invested in. Same people, sure, but Rossi can't touch this money. He is attempting to go after Cherokee, for obvious reasons. This will fail. He is attempting to go after the personal wealth of Darden and Vaughn, which, while not so preposterous as the case against Cherokee, is still ridiculously in violation of precedent; this will also fail. Through all of this, Rossi has utterly trashed his reputation, future investors will be far more reluctant to consider dealing with him. The possibility is very substantial that Rossi will lose everything. He went a bridge too far.

I just do not understand the views of "Planet Rossi".

It is not difficult to understand unless one expects fully-rational behavior from people. It is not rational to expect that!

• No one needs to shut down or bury LENR. It is dying on its own, as the researchers grow old and die. A nefarious organization opposed to cold fusion would not spend $10 million to kill it off. It would not need to spend anything, or do anything.

I've known Jed since 2009, due to his and my involvement in the Wikipedia Cold Fusion Fiasco. He has been struggling with the cold fusion rejection cascade since the 1990s, he was pretty early. Some of the old-timers in the field have become cynical and often express despair. It can come as a product of years of struggle. This also is a hazard of age, that afflicts some.

I came in from outside and took a fresh look. I developed an understanding of What Happened in 1989 and later. ("Mistakes were made.") I also, in 2011-2013 or so, took the opportunity to do intense training in transformational technology, how to create community projects and inspire others. I've been having a blast.

I have a level of sympathy for basic skepticism around cold fusion, but also an awareness of the hazards of pseudoskepticism. I have studied the material over and over and have come to certain basic conclusions, the most important of which I then expressed in my 2015 Current Science paper, and which is now the subject of a well-funded research project that, if results are as reasonably expected, will dynamite the fundamental core of the rejection cascade. This is basic science that could have been done twenty years ago, as recommended by the ERAB Panel in 1989, and confirmed by the 2004 DoE panel, and, had this been done, we might be $20 trillion ahead. But that did not happen. So now what? What can we do today?

I'm with Beaudette: Cold fusion prevailed. There are still many, many problems in the field, but they are being addressed, the world is moving on, a world that includes cold fusion research, it will not be forgotten with the last of that original generation. The physics community will awaken to an anomaly, experimental fact that was unexpected, and that may take the best minds on the planet to explain. It's going to be fun.

• Much like hot fusion technology, the Rossi fuel cycle which is based on lithium will be highly controlled and used by electric utilities only. There will be little money made using this kind of technology.

• Abd- I agree with most of what you said except that Woodford group did not invest more based on what they saw with Rossi but based on their visits and review of other researchers and LENR field in general. They, in fact, were "put off" by Rossi after visiting in Fl. I have some knowledge of that.

• Interesting post by the master on his blog, where he contradicts his claimed progress (having reached sigma 4??) on his new Quark while still using his famous old F8 phrase.....
    Since there is still no commercial 1MW plant working and sold, it seems obvious, what can be expected from his new toy...

Andrea Rossi | 22 minutes ago
    Max:
    The QuarkX is continuing her fantastic path, so far, F8.
    Warm Regards,
    A.R.

Max | 8 hours ago
    Dear Dr Andrea Rossi,
    Daily update?
    All the best
    Max

• There will be no LENR light bulbs, or LENR cars, or LENR plane engines, or LENR appliances. The only why to make any money in LENR is to set up an electric power utility and be subject to a highly control rate structure.

• Abd- I agree with most of what you said except that Woodford group did not invest more based on what they saw with Rossi but based on their visits and review of other researchers and LENR field in general. They, in fact, were "put off" by Rossi after visiting in Fl. I have some knowledge of that.

Well, oldguy, you have misunderstood me. They were impressed by IH, not by "Rossi." IH demonstrated a deep commitment and willingness to take a huge risk. I expect that Woodford was "put off" by Rossi.

Consider a visit to that "chemical plant." They are shown a warehouse with a walled-off area that they cannot look into, but the setup looks cheesy. There is no sign of major commercial activity. The power plant is sitting there. It is not uncomfortably warm. They see a steam line running into the secret area, with a return line. There is no way to actually see any evidence of power generation or dissipation, just what some instruments show, and if Rossi showed them what he showed many others with tests like that (flow rate and a stated assumption of "dry steam" without adequate instrumentation or verification on that point), and we assume that Woodford had done their homework, thoroughly, they would know that this was unverifiable at best and fraud at the worst.

Rossi claims that Woodford was very impressed and invested because of his technology. I find that implausible, though they may have been polite. So, oldguy, your knowledge is consistent with what I expect.

IH "crushed the tests." They eliminated the risk of a Rossi surprise that could make other investment moot. That is, they can now spend millions on other research, and if Rossi makes it all moot, say by coming out with a working and verifiable QuarkX product, they have a License, so they can cry all the way to the bank. Meanwhile nobody need waste more effort with Rossi or "Rossi replications," while NiH research remains, as before, in order, though not as well established as PdD.

(And Rossi remains free to pull a rabbit out of a hat and show a working commercial product with genuinely independent testing and even an available product. As long as he's not in jail, of course. I see no sign yet of a criminal prosecution, but it could happen.) IH may or may not get some of their money back. That could be a difficult call, in fact. What is the probability that, say, the QuarkX actually works? Dedicated pseudoskeptics might say "zero." Slightly more reasonable might be what I saw from a debunker of parapsychology, "1/10^20." Crazy! I would make a rough guess of p = 0.001, one in a thousand. If so, this is basically a trillion-dollar technology, the possibility is then worth a billion dollars. While they would not likely invest that as some new independent possibility, they are already invested, this is a sunk cost. Would they prefer to have the hedge or, say, $10 million? A sane answer might depend on what resources they have and what else they might do with the money. I think they are in no hurry.)

Through all of this, Rossi has utterly trashed his reputation, future investors will be far more reluctant to consider dealing with him. The possibility is very substantial that Rossi will lose everything. He went a bridge too far.

Ya think? The AY-hole should have been disbelieved by everyone after Petroldragon and certainly after the DOD thermoelectric con/scam/lies. But he wasn't. Are there even more gullible investors out there? Who knows? All sorts of ridiculous free energy scams make lots of money on the internet every day. For example:

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/5sLS9/ab/5440C3?

http://www.hopegirlblog.com/

http://qegfreeenergyacademy.com/

... and of course, there are many more.

What is the probability that, say, the QuarkX actually works?

Wrong answer in your post. The correct answer is that the probability is not determinable because there are no reliable data on which to base any statistics. You can say that from general observation of Rossi, the probability is very, exceedingly low but assigning it a number is sort of stupid. How possible are my unicorns? About the same as Rossi's QuarkX, given its claimed properties and dimensions.

• They, in fact, were "put off" by Rossi after visiting in Fl. I have some knowledge of that.

I have no knowledge of that, but any sane person would be "put off" by what Rossi had in Florida, if we can believe Rossi's own data and configuration. The problems were readily apparent, as described in Exhibit 5. Imagine looking at that! Imagine looking at a log book with pressure of 0.0 bar every day, and exactly the same flow rate for weeks. Or looking up at the ceiling and seeing one ratty old vent with a broken fan, and the guy is claiming the machine is producing a megawatt of heat. I would say, "Andrea, you are either crazy or the worst liar I have ever encountered."

As I have often said of Rossi, I would expect that businessman who looks at his claims, his background and his presentation will run out the door in a panic, the way the NASA people did when they realized Rossi's reactor was on the verge of exploding. Rossi seems like the opposite of a "confidence man." He inspires no confidence. What's the antonym of "confidence"? "Doubt, fear, uncertainty, apprehension, distrust." Yeah, that. Yet it seems he conned $11 million out of I.H. I guess he has a personal knack that I cannot sense, not having met him.

The only person I know who inspires less confidence is Prof. Y. Arata, for whom they named an international prize and a building on the campus of a national university -- when he was still alive. That's a singular honor for a singular person. Unlike Rossi, he is a certified, credentialed genius, with dozens of patents and several industries grateful for his contributions. But in person . . . Wow! His English is not good so you can't tell, but in Japanese he goes full throttle. Arata gave a birthday lecture and they invited the national press. I was sitting next to a hardbitten 30-something newspaper reporter from Central Casting. Arata looked like Prof. Emmett Brown from Back to the Future with his hair in every direction and bug eyes. He was ordering his lab assistant and former students around (guys in their 50s!), ranting and raving about persecution and yelling "I'll have my revenge!" The reporter turned to me and asked, "What's the story here? Is this guy crazy or what?"

I have never seen anything like it.

That seems to contradict the timing. Can you share with us how/why you have knowledge? Are you claiming to be an insider?

• what timing? Remember that IH was in existence and working with others well before the suit and well before any "testing" started in Miami.
    Not an insider, just someone that was at a supported research lab when UK business people came through. Sorry, I cannot tell you more.

• Fanboy -
    One easy place to see "timing" is in Darden's ICCF (Italy) keynote speech.
    He says "as many of you know, we licensed Andrea Rossi’s technology. Since then we’ve made grants to university groups ..."
    That is the only mention of Rossi in the speech. He avoids "hitching his wagon to Rossi's star".

You can also get some "timing" from Macy's Infinite Energy interview with Darden about his speech.
    http://www.infinite-energy.com…/pdfs/DardenInterview.pdf

Macy: "You said in your speech that Rossi is not the first person
    involved with LENR that you have supported. That’s a
    widespread misconception. You are also supporting good
    longtime researchers in this field like MIT’s Peter Hagelstein,
    Dennis Letts, high profile newcomers like Brillouin among
    others. You’ve said IH wants to support more work in this
    field. Is one of your goals to get these people to collaborate."
    ---
    "Macy: There are people you are supporting in this field, most
    of whom have remained very quiet. The Rossi support
    became high profile, the others not so, at least for now.

Darden: We made investments before Rossi.

Macy: In LENR people.

Darden: Yes. I just thought there was a lot of frenetic
    responses to us backing Rossi. We tend not to announce anything,
    we try to be low key

Notice that "timing". That was given around April 2015 but was put on the program as a keynote many months ahead.... at least 6 months.
    Nothing to indicate that he was engaged in verification testing. If you follow the interview,

So you can see that within a month or so of the start of the Miami experiments, Darden seems to be "distancing" himself from Rossi and talking about other researchers he was supporting. What does that seem to say?

• Quote from oldguy: “Not an insider, just someone that was at a supported research lab when UK business people came through.”

So, you are a LENR researcher who has received funding from IH or one of its affiliated companies?

Well, if he was, and unlike Rossi he was a responsible person who kept agreements, he would not be able to say!

It is a silly question!

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.