Andrea Rossi's Elegant Quark vs. Rube Goldberg's Post Humous Suncell

• "This is the most absurd claim Rossi ever made! Why does everybody believe this???"

There is no reason not to believe it. I think his claims about the Quark need to be verified, but I think it is likely he is telling the truth.

Also, it is not absurd at all. Nuclear reactions could produce electricity directly by a number of different ways. For example, if you could direct alpha particles all in the same direction they would produce a pretty powerful magnetic field. Also, you could potentially directly collect beta radiation. In my opinion, saying that it is absurd an LENR device could produce electricity directly is what is really absurd.

• Nothing to be sorry about. We seem to have managed with steam for the last couple of centuries, and steam-based power is still one of the most important and best-understood forms of electricity generation. Supercritical CO2 is whizzy new technology, but currently it has no serious pedigree. This leaves system developers with a dilemma- pioneering on too many fronts at once without any engineering experience to fall back on. Even if BLP have the 'keys to the kingdom' it would be a very brave -possibly foolhardy- venture capitalist who went down the Suncell+CO2 turbine route.

Can Carbon Dioxide Replace Steam to Generate Power?

https://www.scientificamerican…-steam-to-generate-power/

Engineers are looking into replacing steam with supercritical carbon dioxide, a technique that could unlock up to 50 percent greater thermal efficiency using a smaller, cheaper turbine.

After more than a century of incremental improvements in the steam cycle, engineers have plucked most of the low-hanging fruit and are chasing diminishing returns, spending millions of dollars for every percentage point of efficiency improvement. These upgrades propagate to other steps in electricity production, allowing power plants to extract more work for a given unit of fuel.

Now engineers are looking into replacing steam with supercritical carbon dioxide, a technique that could unlock up to 50 percent greater thermal efficiency using a smaller, cheaper turbine.

It is no wonder that the moderator has failed in his attempts to produce a viable LENR reaction. His mentality is wedded to the 19th century methods where any modern thought processes can't penetrate through and is immediately mired in the caution of caked black coal dust and clouds of steam that weighs down century old thinking patterns. Don't expect any LENR breakthroughs from these old timers. LENR is a field for the supple of mind and the unburdened of thought.

• Official Post

It is no wonder that the moderator has failed in his attempts to produce a viable LENR reaction. His mentality is wedded to the 19th century methods where any modern thought processes can't penetrate through and is immediately mired in the caution of caked black coal dust and clouds of steam that weighs down century old thinking patterns. Don't expect any LENR breakthroughs from these old timers. LENR is a field for the supple of mind and the unburdened of thought.

How very sweet of you Axil. I never knew you cared -how I wish my thoughts were as unburdened as yours. :D . Has it not occurred to you that if you have a cheap source of heat like LENR there is no need to spend uneccessary and possibly wasted money on what is actuallyunproven CO2 turbine technology to gain a few extra points?

• Rossi's control system will be tuned to run based on his patent and his years of debugging and he will not allow anybody to change his control system.

That is not how patents work. Once you license a patent, you can do anything you like with the technology. That would include changing it or improving it anyway you like. Rossi would have no control over what his licensees do. No patent holder does.

Also, as I pointed out before, the U.S. Patent Office (P.O.) will insist that Rossi license the technology to a wide range of industrial corporations. The P.O. will not allow a patent holder to stifle the development of an important technology by restricting the use of it, or by not licensing it. In some cases, minor incremental improvement may have been stifled by patent holders, but not important ones.

• To bolster what Alan Smith pointed about high temperatures . . . Note that conventional nuclear power plant primary circuit temperatures are ~300°C. See:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/i…clear-power-reactors.aspx

This is much cooler than combustion water temperatures, and far below gas turbine temperatures. The Carnot efficiency is low. So, why do they run at such low temperatures? To reduce wear and tear on the equipment. The uranium fuel is so cheap, there is no point to running at higher temperatures to improve efficiency.

The individual fuel pellets are hot. I believe I read they are close to the limits of the zirconium cladding maximum temperature. Still, I think the reactors could be engineered to run at much higher temperatures and higher efficiency.

• How very sweet of you Axil. I never knew you cared -how I wish my thoughts were as unburdened as yours. :D . Has it not occurred to you that if you have a cheap source of heat like LENR there is no need to spend uneccessary and possibly wasted money on what is actuallyunproven CO2 turbine technology to gain a few extra points?

In any product that will be massed produced over an extended period of time, it is good practice to put maximum effect in at the front end during the development process to minimize the cost and problems of the final product.

Any energy production system that uses 1/2 of the structural material as compared to another method saves material costs throughout the production cycle that may extend out for decades over millions of units. That is why I care about you, for what you are not capable of doing.

In a perfect world, you would have already developed of viable LENR system and be testing it for subatomic particle emissions that could become a show stopper and a LENR killer in a final product release.

• That is not how patents work. Once you license a patent, you can do anything you like with the technology. That would include changing it or improving it anyway you like. Rossi would have no control over what his licensees do. No patent holder does.

Also, as I pointed out before, the U.S. Patent Office (P.O.) will insist that Rossi license the technology to a wide range of industrial corporations. The P.O. will not allow a patent holder to stifle the development of an important technology by restricting the use of it, or by not licensing it. In some cases, minor incremental improvement may have been stifled by patent holders, but not important ones.

Rossi started out wanting to be a proprietary IP company. But he made the mistake of hooking up with IH. Now like Apple inc. Rossi will not allow third party developers get near his IP. It has worked for Apple that are now selling their own proprietary wireless earphones at $144 a pop.

Microsoft never liked open source software.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.