Norront Fusion Energy AS

• Interesting, because I thought it was another approach. So what's the power density calculation for this setup? Do any muons produce nuclear reactions other the hydrogen fusion?

From the data presented in the papers it seems far from reaching break-even just from the nuclear particle-induced electric signal, but I don't think optimizing the output has been the focus in any of these studies. The muons would interact in particular with heavy elements and the captured negative muons eventually produce unstable nuclei and neutron emission, so radiation shielding would be still required as Holmlid acknowledges here: https://www.tandfonline.com/do…080/15361055.2018.1546090

Holmlid Rydberg prehistory [1989] and electricity

I believe this was intended to work with the general idea that low-density Rydberg matter of alkali metals, in particular cesium, would have an extremely low work function and improve thermionic emission.

https://doi.org/10.1016/0039-6028(92)91335-9

https://doi.org/10.1016/0039-6028(93)90382-T

The much denser Rydberg matter of atomic hydrogen, required for producing the ultra-dense state, should not have such a low work function. Holmlid estimated a maximum value of 3.8 eV in https://doi.org/10.1016/j.susc.2008.09.007

As far as I understand the general idea is to obtain electricity directly from the nuclear reactions in ultra-dense hydrogen rather than thermionic emission: https://www.researchgate.net/p…n-ultra-dense-hydrogen-H0

It's still possible that a complete system could use both approaches, though.

• I'm proposing that under certain conditions successful cold fusion experiments always generate some ultradense H or D which would augment the background level of muons particularly on heating, electrical or IR laser stimulation.

This is true. "Cold fusion experiments always generate some ultra dense H or D". But you need to have access to the H*/D* binding orbits to be able to stimulate them and further you need Laser - polarized photons with a high energy content. Phonons are simply low energy but enough for LENR.

Holmlid cracks proton clusters and does no LENR. Further he has to show how he can get large amounts of negative muons if he likes to have a second fusion step. But may be there is no need for this as a proton contains about 102MeV of mechanical (non EM!) excess energy due to one excess rotation that it can give up if you crack it! Further the decay of protons delivers more or less the total mass as photon energy if you are able to contain the Pions/Kaons/slow muons and avoid recombination (what is the main problem) !

• Agreed, Holmlid gives all the theory in this paper:

Existing Source for Muon-Catalyzed Nuclear Fusion Can Give ...

https://www.tandfonline.com › doi › full

by L Holmlid - ‎2019 - ‎Cited by 2 - ‎Related articles

Fusion power generators employing muon-catalyzed nuclear fusion can be developed using a new type of laser-driven muon generator. Results using this generator have been published, and those data are now used to derive the possible fusion power using this generator. Muon-catalyzed fusion has been studied for 60 years, and the results found in such studies are used here to determine the possible power output. Since the muon source gives complex mixtures of mesons and leptons, which have very different interactions with the measuring equipment, the number of negative muons formed is not easily found exactly, but reasonable values based on numerous published experiments with different methods are used to predict the energy output. With deuterium-tritium as fuel, a fusion power generator employing the novel muon generator could give more than 1 MW thermal power. The thermal power using pure deuterium as fuel may be up to 220 kW initially: It will increase with time up to over 1 MW due to the production of tritium in one reaction branch. The power required for running a modern laser and the muon generator is estimated to be of the order of 100 W, thus giving a total energy gain of more than 10 000. The harmful radiation from such fusion power generators is mainly in the form of neutrons from the fusion reactions. Thus, thick radiation shields are necessary as for almost all other fusion concepts. This means that medium-scale thermal fusion power generators of the muon-catalyzed fusion type may become available within a relatively short time.

• The total process giving the negative muons required for muon-catalyzed fusion starts with the ultra-dense hydrogen particles HN(0), and is proposed to be

HN(0) (s=1)→(p+e−)(p+e−) →K±+K0L+K0S+π±→ decay →μ−,HN0 s=1→p+e−p+e− →K±+KL0+KS0+π±→ decay →μ−,

where (p+e−) is a closely bonded quasi-neutron.33L. HOLMLID and S. OLAFSSON, “Charged Particle Energy Spectra from Laser-Induced Processes: Nuclear Fusion in Ultra-Dense Deuterium D(0),” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 41, 1080 (2016);https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.10.072.[Crossref], [Web of Science ®] , [Google Scholar]

The mesons formed are all types of observable kaons and pions,34W. E. BURCHAM and M. JOBES, Nuclear and Particle Physics, Pearson Education, Harlow (1995). [Google Scholar],35K. S. KRANE, Introductory Nuclear Physics, Wiley, Hoboken (1988). [Google Scholar]

and it is likely that three kaons are formed from each H2(0) particle since this conserves the number of quarks as (p+e−)(p+e−) → 3 K. The number of quarks may be unchanged in such a meson formation step, but a further pion pair may be created by which process the number of quarks is not conserved. The process shown is highly exoergic and gives 390 MeV to the three mesons ejected from each pair of protons, and 111 MeV in total if a further pion pair is created. This should be compared to ordinary D + D fusion, which has an output per pair of deuterons of only 14 MeV.

The present description is concerned with the production of negative muons and the use of them as catalytic agents in muon-catalyzed fusion.

• So this is why I proposed that in Mizuno's reactor where we see a ten-fold increase in thermal output /thermal input (3kW/300W) we have a very inefficient form of the type of reactor Holmlid is proposing which would have an optimal power gain of 10,000. Simply because as Wyttenbach points out we need laser-packets of IR to efficiently generate mesons from UDH/D, although an internal heater does the job better than external heating. Then there's the question of catalysts: do the stainless steel oxides of say Cr2O3, MnO2, MoO2 or Fe2O3 play a role in UDD formation or is that solely due to the Ni/Pd mesh? If it all works as Holmlid's work suggests then fine tuning of Mizuno's reactor can be achieved by using strategies to improve UDD and -muon formation - can only guess that the Deneum failure to replicate was due to either low UDD due to lack of catalyst or possibly quenching any -muon fusion activity by the liquid nitrogen used. They should try it again with UDD catalysts and without any possible nitrogen in the system. Zhang's transient results may be due to too high a deuterium pressure, or again low Rydberg catalyst levels, as their results are similar to Takahashi et al's data showing transient excess heat.

• and it is likely that three kaons are formed from each H2(0) particle since this conserves the number of quarks as (p+e−)(p+e−) → 3 K. The number of quarks may be unchanged in such a meson formation step, but a further pion pair may be created by which process the number of quarks is not conserved. The process shown is highly exoergic and gives 390 MeV to the three mesons ejected from each pair of protons, and 111 MeV in total if a further pion pair is created. This should be compared to ordinary D + D fusion, which has an output per pair of deuterons of only 14 MeV.

There are two basic problems with Holmlids reasoning:

1) There exists no quantitative measurements of negative muons. Thus all derivation are made if -when -then. This is keen if you deal with new physics.

2) He assumes a symmetric generation of + and neutral Kaons.

So long so good. But one Noront spectrum I saw did indicate a Pion recombination is happening. What if the Kaons do recombine? Holmlid has to show that he can separate all Kaons and even more important, that they really produce the number of expected negative muons.

Here the story starts: Muons for fusion need to live much longer than for one fusion event. Thus they need an elevated energy. Further the polarization of the muon defines its decay ratio too. Even worse if you assume a 4π space angle of Kaon production the you have to show how you can contain them and how you can direct the muons to a target.

Under all these consideration I would simple forget muon fusion and only try to full separate all meson and harvest they excess energy. Muon fusion is just a sales pitch nothing more.

And one more reminder: The physics model Holmlid uses for UDH is just a heuristic one based on experimental interpolations.

• Lets wait and see what Holmlid & Norront do next then - you think the possibility of muon fusion is just a carrot to attract investors? I doubt it because they seem very sincere about their objectives. So the worst case scenario was 100 DT fusions or 12 DD fusions calculated by Jackson - can the effective -muon lifetime be extended (by using a powerful electric field to disperse alpha particles maybe?) He does estimate a level of 100K muons per laser pulse (maybe wishful thinking!) My other major worry is no other group studying laser-fusion using really very high powers (Peta watt levels) have ever reported similar findings - why not?

• No sign of any muons here then - so to put it into perspective Holmlid is proposing he can do something similar to this with just a 100 W laser;

In 2015, researchers at the Japan LFEX 2 petawatt laser calculated that 30PW picosecond laser pulses with 30kJ energy irradiating a solid cylinder of HB11 fuel of centimeter length and millimeter radius in a 10 kilotesla magnetic field may produce more than 280kWh electric energy (worth about $28). The calculation assumed a spherical reactor of more than 1 meter radius around a central reaction unit that is charged to −1.4 million volts. This voltage stops the generated alpha particles and converts their kinetic energy into electric energy. A very small fraction of this energy is needed to drive the lasers, and we further estimated costs of about $18 per shot associated with replacing the HB11 fuel and the reaction unit (which is destroyed each time) and recharging it. At a rate of one reaction per second, the generated electricity would produce a net income of over $300 million/year.

• Popular science with LH

Rydbergsmateria

Så här börjar Leif Holmlids dagbok från labbet.

Av: Leif Holmlid

Publicerad: 2003-06-01

NEW YEAR: The experiment is not working

A course for which I am responsible is soon over. Still, I haven't had time to test the newly purchased laser properly, nor the interferometer I have built from purchased parts. It should be used to study light passing through rydberg material, which is ordinary matter fixed in higher energy states. In contrast, doctoral student Shahriar Badiei has had a few months to try to study hydrogen rock material in his equipment. He has investigated matter made up of both nitrogen molecules and potassium atoms in the past. We have improved the equipment in several steps, but the results are lacking, despite the fact that we have done such experiments in the group for a couple of years. But now rydberg material is not formed by the hydrogen gas that Shahriar leaks into the vacuum chamber. He has to continue himself and try to make it work, because I don't know what is the fault either. It is important to study rydberg matter of hydrogen, for hydrogen is the completely dominant substance in the universe and we have suggested that the so-called dark matter in space consists of rydberg matter of hydrogen.

JANUARY: Nobody believed in the laser

The most exciting thing right now is to test whether it is possible to build a laser with rydberg material as the active medium. The idea emerged ten years ago, when I first began to understand what rydberg material is for something. But nobody believed in such a laser then, so no one has tested it yet. In order to make a tunable laser, ie a laser where it is possible to vary the wavelength of light, one must be able to vary the properties of the laser cavity itself. I have already used the principle in a simple design. A grid, ie a shiny small piece of glass with a large number of scratches on the surface (about 100 per millimeter), is the part that can be used to separate the different colors / wavelengths of light in different directions. When I last did the measurements, I didn't have time to program a computer to control an engine and turn the grille. So I let the computer measure the signal and turned the grating by hand with a screw. But turning by hand a half degree every thirty seconds becomes quite monotonous! Therefore, a better design is needed so that I do not fall asleep, and a small engine has been purchased since then.

JANUARY - FEBRUARY: Smart emitter works

A so-called emitter gives a cloud of rydberg material when heated to a few hundred degrees. It is a small red porous iron oxide cylinder impregnated with potassium. Such small pieces are used as catalysts for the production of styrene, the raw material for styrene plastic which becomes plastic boats and other useful. The production of styrene takes place on an industrial scale in several places in the world, and through a good friend a can of such small pellets has come to our lab (many years of research was required before discovering this simple solution to form rydberg material). A new small vacuum chamber contains the emitter. So now I form rydberg material and the laser starts to work. I have planned to let the laser beam go back and forth several times using two mirrors to get an amplified signal, but the great thing is that it is not needed - the laser still works! The light waves that come from the laser when the grating is turned are very similar to the hitherto unidentified infrared radiation coming from space.

MARCH-APRIL: Different laser

Since Shahriar is not so easy with his experiment that does not work, I would like to tell him about the new laser. This is as far as I know the first time a laser works by heating the gas. A laser is a very special device, although everyone nowadays has small lasers at home, in CD players and the like. Such lasers operate by electrical current flowing through a semiconductor material. This means introducing electrons that have much higher energy than those in the material. When the electrons "fall down" to states with lower energy, the energy radiates out as light. Since the electrons interact, everyone emits a light wave with the same phase, a laser beam. Similarly, the electrons in our new laser fall to lower energy levels and produce a laser beam. The electrons here have obtained their high energy by evaporating the potassium atoms that form rydberg material from the emitter when heated. Shahriar suggests that we use the laser as soon as possible for chemical studies of molecules. It sounds good.

MAY: Hectic investigations

During a somewhat chaotic period, Shahriar and I measure a large number of properties of the Rydberg stock laser. Much remains to be done, but we have studied the light from some molecules at low resolution. Soon we will do more experiments, maybe we will have a good time before the spectroscopy course we give for chemistry students starts in September. Unfortunately, then the equipment, and partly the researcher, will be occupied by the course for a couple of months.

MAY-JUNE: Random gives new measurement methods

This fall, the project employee F worked to study how water vapor at low pressure is absorbed in an emitter. He mainly studied some typical wavelengths of water with so-called Raman spectroscopy, and used a microscope. The experiments worked well, but there was little more to do that F did not get along with. Since we need the older spectrometer that F used, I have to move a newer spectrometer to his apparatus. With this slightly better equipment, I immediately discover another fifty spectral lines. But they are in the wrong area where there are no Raman lines! Somewhere in some free magazine I have read about equipment to eliminate so-called plasma lines from lasers used in Raman spectroscopy. Could this be plasma lines? A search of the best databases yields zero results. Does the phenomenon not exist? Yes, the lines can be seen directly from the laser. How could they vary in intensity with the amount of water in the catalyst and several other parameters that F had observed? Oddly enough, there is a known process called Raman amplification which in our case means that the water lines are amplified by plasma lines so that they are much more clearly visible. The Raman gain would not have been possible to observe if it were not that it was just an emitter for rydberg material that F studied. Thus, both Raman spectroscopy and Raman amplification become very sensitive measurement methods.

JUNE: Graphite became the solution

Our studies of rydberg material once started by studying how graphite surfaces work in so-called thermoionic energy converters, ie those that provide electric current directly from heat. With rydberg material you get very efficient such converters. While working on other experiments in May, I needed to cover a surface of the apparatus with a thin layer of graphite, which was a well-known process for me. I then saw that more rydberg material was formed at the graphite surface, and pointed this out to Shahriar. On midsummer evening, Shahriar does a rebuild of the equipment so that the laser pulses after passing the cloud with rydberg material reach a metal surface with a thin layer of graphite. We previously used this construction in a bad shape (the laser shot holes in the metal foil after some day) which we removed in our improvement section. Immediately Shahriar gets better results for hydrogen gas rydberg material than anyone has seen before! It now seems that we can also study the absolute lowest energy state of rydberg matter, perhaps the state that exists in the most undisturbed areas of the universe, in the almost empty space far from the galaxies.

[Google Translate - Swedish text appended]

• In the original 2003 article, which was cited in the recently released review on the subject (in section 1.2) there's more on the aside on the right, in addition to an ultra-low resolution photo (attached below).

• Neat new patent by Dag & Sindre - they still haven't a clue how it works though producing mesons with a 100 W laser. Its technology beyond the understanding of the Standard Model. Could be an interaction with background neutrino radiation and/or an intrinsic chiral anomaly.

NO20180245A1.pdf

(1.1 MB, downloaded 6 times, last: 27 minutes ago)

• Official Post

Neat new patent by Dag & Sindre - they still haven't a clue how it works though producing mesons with a 100 W laser. Its technology beyond the understanding of the Standard Model. Could be an interaction with background neutrino radiation and/or an intrinsic chiral anomaly.

NO20180245A1.pdf

(1.1 MB, downloaded 6 times, last: 27 minutes ago)

And I will say again that I think that’s why Holmlid published many of the papers, to stablish an academic support in peer reviewed journals for the patenting process. We know that Mills, Santilli and Ohmasa have failed to patent for lack of accepted theoretical background, even if they provided evidence that their inventions worked (at least for Santilli and Ohmasa I am certain they provided it but the examinators stated that there was no theoretical evidence to support that their inventions could do watch the claims said they could do). Circumventing this with a well designed set of papers in advance seems to be what Holmlid and co. did.

• Circumventing this with a well designed set of papers in advance seems to be what Holmlid and co. did.

Despite well designed experiments , circumnavigating the status quo road blocks has not been easy for Holmlid

STATUS QUO-ER comment 2016

"It is worth pointing out that most of the atomic physics community does not share the interpretations described in this article.

That community does not find the "Rydberg matter hypothesis" compelling or plausible"

HOLMLID Reply

"The comment above tells more about the person giving the comment than he or she realizes..

. It also demonstrates a strange neglect of the scientific process which relies on peer-reviewed published evidence and not on "common belief".

The comment above clearly does not follow the talk page guidelines. My first reflection on this type of comment to the research on Rydberg Matter that I have been involved in for more than 20 years

is that Rydberg Matter is not atomc physics at all but cluster physics, chemical physics and condensed matter (metal) physics,

and thus that few members of the atomic physics community probably have anything valuable to say on this subject."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ARydberg_matter

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.