The Art Of Creating Doubt About Science

• What sort of experiment would be sufficient to test the foam hypothesis?

Can foamy boiling water in a tube without electrolysis be used informatively?

Do I need dewars, or will graduated cylinders be good enough?

It seems that a graduated cylinder is good enough:
    hpcfr21e.jpg

(From http://jlnlabs.online.fr/cfr/diycfr/index.htm , with detailed instructions)

But to reproduce the same amazing effect shown in the videos of the 1992 boil-off experiment, I think it is necessary to use a cylinder with the same dimensions of the F&P cell and replicate the same electrolytic process.

• But to reproduce the same amazing effect shown in the videos of the 1992 boil-off experiment, I think it is necessary to use a cylinder with the same dimensions of the F&P cell and replicate the same electrolytic process.

You also have to use palladium instead of platinum, and you have to observe excess heat before and after the event. With D2O and platinum, there is no excess heat effect, and water remains in the cell after the boil off stops. With palladium and excess heat before and after, you get a complete boil off, leaving the cell dry. These facts cannot be explained with your foam hypothesis. Why would the foam be different with palladium? Why would excess heat before the event make the foam different? Why did all of the water leave the cell when there was excess heat? How can foam explain that?

Also, while we are listing question that you refuse to answer, why don't you tell us what this means, given that there was no liquid in the cell:

"they assumed that all the residual content of the cells was liquid."

The residual content was not liquid, as anyone could see by looking. There was no liquid. So why do you claim that F&P assumed it was liquid? What is that supposed to mean, if anything?

Of course you will refuse to answer, and of course you will falsely claim you are not allowed to answer, but I thought I'd ask. Let everyone see you are evading the issue and posting nonsense.

• Once, in my youth, just after first reading about electrolysis, I got a two wire cord from an old lamp and put one end, split apart and the wire exposed at the end, in a 2 quart Mason jar filled 3/4 with water and plugged in the other end in. I “knew” the AC would just alternate the O and H production but the captured combination would be good enough for something. Big streams of bubbles, looked good, wandered off to do something else while the gas accumulated...

Came back an hour maybe at the most later, and the water in the jar was then at a full roiling boil, steam everywhere, water splashed about... Luckily the cord was unplugged without incident.

• Of course you will refuse to answer, and of course you will falsely claim you are not allowed to answer, but I thought I'd ask.

I have been warned not to post on this topic in this thread. See:

The Art Of Creating Doubt About Science

Alan Smith

Administrator

Sep 18th 2020

@Ascoli65 .

Please stop flooding this thread with your foam posts. You have said all of this many times, and very few posters are interested. Further posts on this particular matter will be put into 'clearance'.

If you want to discuss this argument with me, you should open a new thread dedicated to the F&P boil-off experiment and hope that it will not be closed, as already happened several times in the last two years.

Let everyone see you are evading the issue and posting nonsense.

Interested people have just to read this short thread to discover who was babbling nonsense for 30+ years around a bubbling tube.

• I have been warned not to post on this topic in this thread. See:

Oh give us a break! You just now posted on this topic in this thread. Yet you refuse to answer any questions or explain what this means:

You are using this "warning" as an excuse to evade the issues.

• Oh give us a break! You just now posted on this topic in this thread. Yet you refuse to answer any questions or explain what this means:

You are using this "warning" as an excuse to evade the issues.

In this thread, I'm not free to replicate on this topic the way I'd need.

Open a new dedicated thread and I will explain you what is the meaning of my quote.

• In this thread, I'm not free to replicate on this topic the way I'd need.

Cut the bullshit. Anyone can see you just wrote whatever you pleased about this topic. You are not restricted. You can answer anytime you like.

Open a new dedicated thread and I will explain you what is the meaning of my quote.

Open it yourself! Oh, wait. You will say you can't do that because for reasons and that's why.

You are not fooling anyone.

• Official Post

Ascoli65 While you are quoting me, please allow me to quote myself - from August 2019...

I have no problem with Acoli65's scepticism, the problem is that no matter what is done to cast doubt upon his ideas, including photographic evidence, scientific papers -some peer-reviewed ones too- because his problems with scientific logic he keeps putting forward the same objections. He also has a tendency to claim when presented with evidence that refutes his ideas, to state that this same evidence proves the presenter supports his beliefs - and then claims it shows that the objector has been ' totally converted'. He is the Theresa May of sceptical argument. It's his deal or his deal. There is no other way.

• Ascoli65 While you are quoting me, please allow me to quote myself - from August 2019...

my memory is a bit hazy but when we had quite a long discussion of the ascoli foam hypothesis I could not find any killer argument against it applying to some of the F&P evidence.

Others felt (1) That F as an expert could not possibly make such a rudimentary mistake. That does not move me. (2) The experiment has been replicated. That does not move me given that the successful replication was very precise, and made identical assumptions, so would show the same artifacts. (3) That there was other evidence (different from the foamgate photos).

i'd love to have a careful examination of each strand of the argument here because i found ascoli's argument quite convincing but under interrogation I'd want more connection between it and other evidence.

My conclusion was that this was real negative evidence for one part of the claims - that those photos show clearly the effect. The weight you attach to that then depends on other factors. Ascoli's position, I think was that the claim made on basis of the foamgate photos implies unexpected error or fraud, and therefore makes any other consideration of evidence irrelevant. Perhaps however I am misremembering this and there was then strong evidence for the photos proving what it was then claimed they proved?

• Official Post

There is circumstantial evidence that something about that video was less than ideal. But even if it was imperfect, so what? it was never the 'ultimate experiment' that Ascoli claims, but one of hundreds, probably thousands of experiments done in the most impeccable surroundings by impeccable people that show the F&P XSH effect to be real. Denying that on the shaky evidence presented, which has been rebutted with supporting evidence -retained solids etc - by those with more patience than me really should put the lid on it. Whining on about one experiment as if it brings the whole house down is as sensible as saying 'Marty Fleischmann had a wart on his nose, so he cannot be a good electrochemist.'

• Others felt (1) That F as an expert could not possibly make such a rudimentary mistake. That does not move me. (2) The experiment has been replicated. That does not move me given that the successful replication was very precise, and made identical assumptions, so would show the same artifacts. (3) That there was other evidence (different from the foamgate photos).

(1) No one said that. Fleischmann himself would never say that. He often discussed his own mistakes, in lectures, and in conversations with me.

(2) Some replications were close, while others were quite different. As an example of the latter, Pons set up a reflux calorimeter which could not possibly have had this problem. The condensed water was cooled and it fell back into the cell. It ran for months, and it showed excess heat in the boiling mode.

(3) I gave a long list of reasons why the foam hypothesis is wrong. I repeated some of them here, just above. I wish you would read them before making this comment. I repeat:

"You also have to use palladium instead of platinum, and you have to observe excess heat before and after the event. With D2O and platinum, there is no excess heat effect, and water remains in the cell after the boil off stops. With palladium and excess heat before and after, you get a complete boil off, leaving the cell dry. These facts cannot be explained with your foam hypothesis. Why would the foam be different with palladium? Why would excess heat before the event make the foam different? Why did all of the water leave the cell when there was excess heat? How can foam explain that?"

There are several other objections to the foam hypothesis, but I will not repeat them, unless you care to address these and show problems with them. Ascoli will never address them and he has never shown any problem with anything that Fleischmann, Pons, or I said about this experiment.

I discussed many aspects of the boil off phase here, and I included links to many papers by F&P:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJreviewofth.pdf

• Official Post

Back to the basic idea of the thread, about how there’s people dedicated to cast doubt about scientific research, there are plenty of documented examples in which people whose economic or hegemonic interests are challenged by scientific research, engage in activities, with varied levels of organization, whose ultimate objective is to deter further research on the matter that is sensitive to them. Probably the most documented, and stylized, case is the one of the tobacco industry trying to dismiss the unhealthy effects of smoking cigarettes.

However, the opposite has also happened, which is organized attempts to dismiss Evidence based doubts about scientific research that has failed to meet expectations after considerable time and economic resources poured in it (I am sure many will agree with me that Hot Fusion research Is such a case, albeit many more will disagree). The success of Whatever group in stopping a research, or conversely, keep it going on, depends on the degree of organization, influence and resources that is available to the members of that group, rather than the validity of the doubts being risen.

Some, I am sure, could in all fairness argue that the same criteria (Lack of results) used to cast doubt on validity of Hot Fusion, could be applied to LENR, but if one considers the total amount of resources spent on Hot Fusion research, compared to the ones devoted to LENR, and the rate of the expenditure, LENR has some millenia left to go on without producing results before being comparable to Hot Fusion, with the added factor that LENR has obtained results of excess heat, which of course have been questioned and never widely accepted, but Hot Fusion has not even got to that stage.

• However, the opposite has also happened, which is organized attempts to dismiss Evidence based doubts about scientific research that has failed to meet speciation after considerable time and economic resources poured in it (I am sure many will agree with me that Hot Fusion research Is such a case, albeit many more will disagree).

People express doubt about the potential technological value of hot fusion. I do not think anyone suggests the science itself is faulty, or that the experiments do not show what is claimed. The doubts are about questions such as: How can you convert the nuclear reaction output into electricity? How can you deal with the irradiated walls of the reactor? Here is a study from LANL that discusses some of the problems with plasma fusion:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KrakowskiRlessonslea.pdf

in this regards, with the added factor that LENR has obtained results of excess heat, which are questioned, but Hot Fusion has not even got to that stage.

You sound like Steve Krivit. I think this is incorrect. Plasma fusion has produced excess heat. It has not produced more excess than the total input power to the reactors. This is understandable, given the way the machines work.

• Official Post

Allow me to correct myself and talk about COP>1, that has not been achieved by Hot Fusion research, so far, unless you take in account the results of the Z machine. These results (4x thermal output related to the kinetic energy input) was a surprise that left the researchers led by Malcolm Haines scratching their head and repeating the experiment tens of times before coming to terms with the possibility of it being real.

• You sound like Steve Krivit. I think this is incorrect. Plasma fusion has produced excess heat. It has not produced more excess than the total input power to the reactors. This is understandable, given the way the machines work.

You should use the right(correct words JED! excess heat always means a COP > 1 and COP always includes all energy needed to produce the heat.

Thus ITER will not (never!!) produce excess heat. ITER will for sure produce some fusion heat but that is not excess heat!

• Ascoli65 While you are quoting me, please allow me to quote myself - from August 2019...

You are welcome.

My answer is still valid: Fake&Succeed strategy in R&D. What about CF?

Moreover. As for the refusal to take in consideration "photographic evidence, scientific papers" this criticism apply to JedRothwell, not to me. His posts on this thread demonstrate how he is struggling to negate the evidence shown by the videos produced in 1992 by F&P, rising again and again the same tangential and not pertinent objections.

• You should use the right(correct words JED! excess heat always means a COP > 1 and COP always includes all energy needed to produce the heat.

Thus ITER will not (never!!) produce excess heat. ITER will for sure produce some fusion heat but that is not excess heat!

That is incorrect. Suppose the the Tokamak produces output of 10% of the input energy. The COP is 1.1. The 10% is excess heat. It resembles a heat pump, where the input electric power also warms the house, so it is included in the output. (Except for the power needed for the outdoor fan.) A COP for a refrigerator is more complicated. Here is the COP calculation for a heat pump:

https://www.nordicghp.com/2015…efficient-of-performance/

Calculating Coefficient of Performance

First, you’ll need two things:

1. Energy out, or the heat pump’s expected output.
    2. Energy In, or how much energy it takes to run the heat pump.

Using these two values, we can complete the formula below:

COP

In this formula, energy out is the heat pump’s output in Btu/hr, and energy in is the energy required to run the heat pump, measured in watts.

A tokamak COP is very low. It is far from being a practical device. However, it is intended to be an experimental device to explore the science. It is a little unfair to hold it to the standards of a commercial power reactor. On the other hand the plasma fusion researchers keep saying the reactors might become a practical source of energy someday, so it should be said that they are far from that now. Plus, they have a lot of gall saying cold fusion is impractical.

They also have a problem with scale. Apparently, for reasons I do not understand, you can only make the reactors efficient when they are gigantic. Like ITER. I believe a power-generating one would be so gigantic it might be impractical.

• That is incorrect. Suppose the the Tokamak produces output of 10% of the input energy.

We can forgive you as you are not a physicist. Your formula is for simple minds only.

Energy has different forms. Heat is of no use as it cannot be transported over long distances and it always dissipates = It cannot be stored...

To produce real energy = energy you either can use or store you need a much larger COP than what you define as COP. The best heat conversion engines today have 60% efficiency ! So you need at least a COP of 1.66 for a break even as e.g. ITER uses current as input not heat...

My answer is still valid: Fake&Succeed strategy

Best example is hot fusion: Fake claims: We replicate the sun = brainless nonsense blatantly wrong!

We produce energy... No : You just wast energy - + you destroy equipment and produce a terrific amount of radioactive waste.

ITER is the most brainless approach in physics history to just waste (30'000'000'000$$$$$ )money. Or may be the most clever idea to finance a fun live (Surf/golf , wine & dine) in south of France.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.