George Egely's Magic Wand

• There are a number of statements in Egely's abstract that seem to be consistent with the LENR theory of electron based quasiparticle Bose Einstein Condensation (BEC) theory of LENR as follows:

There is a tentative explanation by condensed matter physics for this sequence of effects by now. This id called the “highly-correlated topological bubble phase of composite fermions” in papers published by Nature Physics as recent as 2023.

And

The catalyser is the condensed plasmoid, a bubble made of thousands or millions of electrons entangled into a highly charged lump.

Finally

when the coherent structures, the condensed plasmoids are formed

In order for a BEC to form. the electron as a quasiparticle must transform into a boson. For one thing to do that, its spin of the quasiparticle must transform into the spin of a boson which is 1.

The composite fermions seems to be a poor choice to meet the boson spin requirement since the spin of this quasiparticle is some fractional charge that varies with the strength of the applied magnetic field upon which the fractional spin depends. Two or more composite fermions must combine to from a boson, but condensation is possible as follows:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/…20BEC%2Dtype%20condensate.

The condensation of electrons must be accomplished using a spark at plasma temperatures upwards of tens of thousands of degrees C. All the while, the magnetic field produced by the spark is required to be constant so that global entanglement can occur.

It is more likely that another type of electron based quasiparticle is involved in the condensation process. There are at least a hundred or more types to chose from.

Identifying which electron based quasiparticle type is involved is going to be a challenge for product research going forward.

• I'm happy to have found George Egely's ICCF25 presentation, in extended version, uploaded - I think - by the author himself:

youtube.com/watch?v=sbLdbm-jqbM

My favorite frame is:

IMO it's not a measurement error, it is a clear effect.

My gratitude to George to sharing further details that empower tinkerers to replicate.

I'm searching also on the follow-up presentation/paper: Sebastian Domoszlai - Method for Measuring Input Power in Pulsed Electric Circuits.

• If you have decided to use Al for electrodes, you might find this useful. Anodising is required

I've went for aluminium electrodes and I've anodized a pair in ~20% (by weight) sulfuric acid at ~12Vdc, ~1Adc, ~800A/m^2 current density, ~30min duration; and prepared another pair with no anodizing.

My biggest fear is the oxide layer causing dielectric barrier discharge and and it's typical periodic filamentary arcs, meaning the burst of current spikes are not fusion events.

DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.80433

• New video from ICCF25

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• From my side: hobby-grade commitment is what I can afford, status update: some parts have arrived (discharge tube stuff, electrolysis unit stuff, vacuum pump and fittings, hoses), others to be decided upon and to be ordered, cell construction is underway, electronics design is in brainstorming state (two switch flyback converter is the selected topology so far).

Quick status update for who is curious: unfortunately progress has been slow, very few hours spent in last months. My hope was by the time of ICCF25 publications are out, I'd have a setup ready to receive any last minute modification and produce the first ever spark discharge.

Instead what I have: electrolysis unit functional, bill of materials finalized and parts are all here for basic test (discharge tube construction, vacuum system, electric components).

Next step is to construct 2 discharge units, one with the anodized electrode pair and one with plain brushed aluminium; create one electrical circuit and one electrical measurement setup.

The idea is to bring up both discharge constructions with 0.5bar of H2 and He gas, and search for those repetitive spikes. In this pace it might be another couple of months until I have news. I'm hoping for: before Christmans 2023 ^^

I'm searching also on the follow-up presentation/paper: Sebastian Domoszlai - Method for Measuring Input Power in Pulsed Electric Circuits.

In this ENG-8 link message #80, the presentation PART2, the very end of the presentation talks about COP-calculation.

The same information will probably be found in that mentioned final paper.

axil mentioned earlier (above #261) the required constant magnetic field i.e. constant current for EVO-creation.

Of course one question is how long constant current pulse is needed ?

The spark-forming pulse properties are not easily controllable in Egely's simple device.

If the required voltage would be smaller, it would be possible to use e.g. power MOSFETs

as pulse switching components. This would require smaller electrode distance to get the same V/m

value as with the suggested construction (2 mm ... 0.5mm) that requires X kV.

If the region would be e.g. 0.05 mm ... 0.2 mm the voltage required would be useful for

solidstate components (< 1kV). But - Egely mentions also Paschen-curve.

I'm not sure about how the Paschen-curve affects here in practice.

Does it destroy this low-voltage idea ?

Also one interesting note quite in the beginning of the Egely-ICCF25, almost any gas that contains hydrogen, not only hydrogen/deuteríum, works.

As an example buthane.

• Please post your material list and your sources.

Hmm, you gave me some work here :D , thinking of the pros and cons:

My personal purchases are really meant to compensate stuff I didn't already have, and to aid me on trying to put together a test setup the way I imagined it. It is not meant to be at all a comprehensive DIY kit list, especially not at this stage when I have no idea what will work.

For the electrolysis unit, I already had better ideas half way of constructing this one (one vessel with separator wall instead of two, closely placed electrodes to combat very low efficiency, no more need of cooling spiral - basically way better and half the size/cost).

My local sources (mostly HW stores and local suppliers) also have no real value in a multinational purchase viewpoint, nor do I want to make public my order sheets with my private data on it on a public forum :D

For the specialized parts I guess I could share manufacturer info, part number if I have it, if someone takes the same approach and desperately needs help, otherwise trying to compile a DIY kit (then assembly guide/explanations, then support) is a dedicated time consuming job in itself that delays what's important: first spark.

I'd wait until the thing works (or not), blindly encouraging people to spend their money on a non optimized setup that basically can electrocute/kill them is not what I'm intending here to achieve. Rather, to share my information/progress in return of information received from the forum ;)

Is this thought-sequence reasonable?

• In this ENG-8 link message #80, the presentation PART2

I totally managed to miss this, very much thank you! It's practically a gold-mine of information.

constant magnetic field

George Egely also mentions in "...Tutorial 2..." video, timestamp 22:25 modifying the resistive load by adding a capacitor (thus modifying the current profile) has impact on event formation. I just can't wait to make my toy ready.

• Building the system is relatively simple if you are practical, the problems arise when you attempt to measure what's going on. And high-voltage probes are very expensive, but without 2 it is difficult to be sure of what's happening.

• My planned route is this:

No expensive high voltage probes, not even one. Instead (quote):

If the goal is to minimize cost at (all cost) then how about looking at capacitor voltage with a DIY setup, since relaxation oscillator period is in the us-ms range, and we can't really find out much there, it is perhaps just for the scope of measuring capacitor voltage (min, max) and repetition rate. Then for the interesting part, on the discharge event with the "small explosions", why not use a second non-inductive shunt resistor to measure the current (voltage drop across shunt) using a standard cheap 200MHz 10:1 probe?

I'm confident-ish, however let my oscilloscope be the victim before anyone attempts this (maybe I'm able to replace my front-end's damaged transistors and I get away with it unlike most folks).

On energy balance, oh boy... some options in my book for now:

If the thing would only work in a repetitive pulsed condition:

1. input energy measurement in DC/AC 50Hz domain, output energy by calorimetry of the entire thing (place every single heat dissipating component in a big insulated and sealed container, agitate air inside with known power fan). --> This method I'd avoid, because sum of every lossy element's heat could mask the minute excess from the discharge, placing it below error margin.

2. try to optimize efficiencies and feed back power, make it self-sustain --> now this is the way to go, naively, try to achieve this incontestable ultimate proof. Also not my favourite method because the efficiency optimization is perhaps a decades-long effort of constant frustration (loose-your-hair grade stuff).

3. efficient excitation with a carefully designed flyback converter, measure input power in DC domain, measure output power via simple calorimetry (only output resistor + thermally conductive mass + thermometer + insulation) --> Preferred1

If the thing would work in one-shot pulse mode:

4. use 2 capacitor setup, one providing energy, one receiving, calculate singe pulse energies based on capacitor (settled) voltages (no high bandwidth HV probe needed) --> Preferred2

The option not in my book: George Egely's input resistor's heat based assessment (because of all the things I mentioned previously, mainly 5tau criteria can not be met, below 5tau operation is random due to nature of gas discharge voltages and it requires the expensive HV probe but also serious data acquisition stuff to prove at least average tau, average min/max voltages over the 15min-30min-1h operation for calorimetry significant data).

Alan Smith, what would your planned approach on COP assessment be?

• Building the system is relatively simple if you are practical, the problems arise when you attempt to measure what's going on. And high-voltage probes are very expensive, but without 2 it is difficult to be sure of what's happening.

It is not too difficult to build a high voltage probe: just use a compensated voltage divider, featuring a high voltage rated resistor on the high voltage side. Since the voltage is not so high (few kVs), there is no need to use GOhm resistors and so also the compensating capacitor could be relatively manageable. Another simple approach is using for the high voltage resistor a series of few conventional resistor (film resistors, not wirewound, so to minimize inductance), each one with their compensating capacitor.

• For capacitor voltage sensing:

Got for pennies a bag of non-inductive thick film SMD resistors and THT C0G ceramic capacitors for a compensated divider.

Here are some options to extend the voltage range of my budget friendly Rigol PVP2150 scope probe:

I hope my simulations are correct. Still want to explore 500:1 possibilities, since I've not found the magic combination of minimal error, high voltage range.

Not planning to insist very much on precision and bandwidth, since I'm not planning to convince anyone for now (besides myself) of any COP estimates based on voltage readouts. Just build one, calibrate it with 100V square wave against a 10x or 100x probe, then use it.

For construction style, I might get some inspiration from here:

Instructions | High-voltage oscilloscope probe | Hackaday.io

For discharge current sensing:

Just use a 1Ohm non inductive shunt and a short ground wired 10x probe.

• You should study this very interesting and very readable paper . A couple of our members are part of the team who wrote this, and you might be forgiven for thinking that it is reminiscent of the work of Ken Shoulders on EVO's. There are clues here as to the mechanism that George's device and others exploit

ShieldSquare Captcha

Abstract

The aim of this research was the study of the transition between high and low electrical resistivity states of two overlapped graphene layers when subjected to short electromagnetic pulses (soliton waves). These transitions have already been previously observed by the authors in experiments carried out with different conductors, separated by a tiny insulating layer. The choice of a highly ordered material, such as graphene, was justified by the attempt to achieve greater stability and reproducibility of these transitions. What has been observed is an instantaneous reversible transition of the graphene overlapped layers to/from a state of insulator with resistance in the order of Mohms from/to a state of resistance of few ohms or, in some cases, of zero ohms. The transition from a high resistance state to a lower one requires EM pulses of different polarity than the transition from a low resistivity state to a higher one. Some intermediate relatively stable states have also been observed.

• Status update: 1 step forward, 1 step back..

The first two discharge tubes almost ready:

and the electrolyzer got leaky and mechanically failed meanwhile:

I made a really noob mistake: despite I carefully checked the use of materials to be chemically compatible with KOH solution, I confused the real jar material PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) with HDPE (Polyethylene, high density) - not the same. PET cracked, broke, not only the jar, but the recipient that hold my reserve solution... Lesson learned, I'm going to build the other 1 jar, "energy efficient" idea using SAN (styrene acrylonitrile) jar and storage of reserve alkaline solution is in PP (polypropylene) container.

• Status update: another noob mistake...

I've attempted to build a lazy variant the "energy efficient" idea, where the key change is to move the electrodes closer.

The mistake I made was in lack of better materials and difficulty to reach the bottom of the bowl, I've used polysterene and polyurethane foam for gas separator wall.

The foam has tiny bubbles inside that were made in equilibrium with 1 bar surrounding pressure. Guess what happened when I applied 3 bars from outside...

A better candidate would be PP wall and hot glue, but it's going to be difficult to work inside the bowl.

I've been exploring also other ideas like PMMA wall and epoxy, but not much data found online about SAN jar adhesion characteristics.

I've found out in quick tests that epoxy peels off easier from SAN than hot glue.

I'm open to ideas for common materials (household, not science-fiction) to be used as gas separator wall and filler/glue. Need to adhere to SAN, but not compromise it's mechanical characteristics, to be compatible with KOH aqueous solution, max 30% (by weight), H2 and O2 gas, and need to able to work with inside restricted space. Thanks!

• I spent yesterday afternoon at Culham Labs (home of the now abandoned JET fusion project) where George Egely ran one of his rigs several times in the presence of somebody from UL (Milan) and some other interested observers, including a famous Chinese singer. COP said to be very positive, though the data collection was not perfect. But Haslen Back tells me that UL in the USA have run a test and come up with a COP of 5. I have asked to see their report. More when I do.

George also bought a larger version of the spark-gap tube, which is said can produce 0.5kW output as direct electricity and because of larger internal electrode size has a linger life than the small systems.

The whole crew.

George in full flow.

The 0.5kW electrode.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.