Question on research tools

• Needless to say, all modern papers are distributed in electronic format. This is MUCH better than paper! Years ago, people had some concerns about electronic documents. They worried that the documents were 1. Fragile and might easily be lost, and 2. They might become unreadable because computer standards might change. Both of these concerns were alleviated by the turn-of-the-century.

Electronic documents and files are fragile. They can be destroyed as easily as soap bubbles, just by touching the media. Or with a dust particle. However, any person skilled with computers will know to make multiple backups, including off-site backups. With at least three backups, including an off-site one, the likelihood of losing all three copies of a computer file is very low. You are more likely to lose a paper copy with a flood or fire. Every file and document I have created since 1978 is backed up on 5 disks and one off-site repository. I am NOT going to lose data!!

Computer standards changed frequently from the 1960s through the 1980s. Some old documents and files become unreadable. However, all documents have now been converted to Acrobat format. There are billions of documents in this format, so I am sure they will all remain readable far into the future. Even if the Acrobat standard is no longer used, computer programs will have a built-in ability to read them and convert them to a more modern standard. Future computers will be self programming AI devices which will know how to read a format such as Acrobat or the image file standard .jpg. These standards will not be forgotten. To be sure, Acrobat is lousy. It is annoying. Programmers call it "the format where documents go to die." However, there are so many documents in Acrobat, and future computers will be so smart, that the likelihood that mankind will forget how to read them is virtually zero.

In the 1960s and 70s, computer media and data storage formats changed rapidly. There were concerns that US Census Bureau data would be lost. I think they migrated those mag tapes a long time ago. I hope they did. My late mother, who was the director of public opinion research at the Census Bureau, was sanguine about data loss. She said: "People worry that we might lose data. Our programmers lose data every day! They can't find half the stuff we are supposed to have." She also called public opinion research and other social science research, "the hot air sciences."

Reliable long-term data storage will also not be a problem. Long-term computer storage will eventually be migrated to synthetic DNA, which lasts for hundreds of thousands of years. All of the data in the world would fit into about a liter of DNA.

• The quality of that document is pretty good. That scan was made by EPRI. I downloaded it from their site. Before that, I scanned and OCR'ed the copy of that paper in my own printed book. That is what you see here: https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/WillFGtritiumgen.pdf

I might not have gone to all that trouble if I had had the EPRI scan.

Here is the underlying text from the EPRI document:

Abstract

Tritium up to fifty times background has been observed upon electrolyzing 1N D2SO4 in four out of four cells when using Pd cathodes "of a certain type". No tritium was detected in four control cells, containing H2SO4 in H2O, employing Pd cathodes cut from the same wire spool. Tritium amounts were from 7 x 10 10 to 2.1 x 10 11 atoms, corresponding to average generation rates from 1 x 105 to 4 x 105 atoms/sec/g Pd. In all cases, D/Pd and H/Pd loadings of 1 ± 0.05 were attained. A cyclic loading/unloading regime rather than the usual continuous constant current regime was applied to attain these high loadings. Tritium analysis was performed in Pd, electrolyte and the gas head space of the sealed cells. Maximum tritium concentrations of 8.9 x 10 10 atoms/g Pd, 180 times the detection limit, were found in the D-loaded Pd cathodes, none in the H-loaded Pd. Also, no tritium within detection limit was found in 150 unused Pd pieces. Of these, 13 were cut randomly from the same wire spool as the four D-loaded Pd cathodes. The probability that the tritium in the latter was due to random spot contamination is computed as 1 in 2,380. It is concluded that the tritium was generated by nuclear reactions in the Pd. . . .

• JedRothwell, when you OCR these, are you replacing the image with the generated text? There is also the option of using invisible text over the original image, which is how all of my PDF's come out when I do OCR and it's what I prefer for my efforts. Are you opposed to doing it this way?

• JedRothwell, when you OCR these, are you replacing the image with the generated text?

I have not done any OCR in a long time for papers that I upload. All new papers come in binary format, thank goodness. For documents I am not planning to upload, I use the EPSON ES-400 scanner built-in OCR for scanned images. It works better than Adobe's. It does Japanese, which Adobe does not do.

When I have a book or a large document that I need scanned, I send it off to https://1dollarscan.com/ They do the scanning and they do a good job of OCR as well. They return the Acrobat file only. The document is destroyed.

There is also the option of using invisible text over the original image, which is how all of my PDF's come out when I do OCR and it's what I prefer for my efforts.

Yes. That's called image over text. That is what they used to call it, anyway. That is how I did the books such as ICCF3. The latest version of Adobe Acrobat does not seem to have that format as the default. I do not even know where they hid that feature. I have not needed that lately, so I have not looked for it. Finding any feature or looking up anything in Adobe documentation is a pain in the butt.

. . . Okay, so I looked for that feature. The way to generate that format with Adobe Acrobat is to select Recognize Text, In This File, RECOGNIZE TEXT (in blue box). Typical Adobe; you can't just say "Recognize Text" and have it recognize the text. That would be too easy. As described in the paragraph above, this does not change the appearance but it allows you to copy the underlying text and paste it, or search for it. When you copy part of the Abell paper and paste, it looks like this:

Helium release from aged palladium tritide

G. C. Abell,• L. K. Matson, and R. H. Steinmeyer

EG&G Moumi Applied Technologies, P.O. Box 3000, Miamisburg, Ohio 45343-0987

R. C. Bowman, k

Chemistry and Physics Laboratory, The Aerospace Corporation, P.O. Box 92957, Los Angeles, California 90009

B. M. Oliver

Rockwell International, Rocketdyne Division, 6633 Canoga Avenue, Canoga Park, California 9/J03

(Received 6 October 1989)

Experimental studies of helium release from aged PdT% show that the helium-to-metal-atom ratio

saturates at a value of [He]/(Pd) =0.5 under conditions of ambient-temperature storage.

Below this value, very little helium release occurs. Thermal desorption experiments show that

release from a sample with (Hel/[Pd)=0.3 requires temperatures in excess of ~600 K, while

release from a sample with (He)/[PdJ =0.02 requires temperatures in excess of at least 1300 K.

These results are related to the question of the . . .

In the same box there is an option to "Correct recognized text." When I select it, it says there is no text that needs correcting. There is also a "Review recognized text" which does nothing. Nothing! A typical Adobe product. It asks you to repeat the command three times and then it does nothing. In Acrobat programs from years ago you could correct the underlying text. Maybe there is a way to do this with the latest Adobe Acrobat but I don't see it.

• Ah, this is interesting. If you first select "Recognize Text, In This File, YES, I MEAN RECOGNIZE TEXT for Crying Out Loud" you can then select "Edit Text" and it tries to preserve the Image over text format while letting you edit the text. Deigning to let you edit the text, if you must, you naughty boy. Here is an example of that. I added some text in red, which preserved the font. Then I deleted the "e" from "release" and added a note using the standard Times New Roman font. The note says "(spelled wrong)." These changes are in the red box. So, you can preserve the appearance and you can change the text. Copy and paste shows the text I added and the misspelled "release." You could probably figure this out from the Adobe documentation if you learn to speak Warnock-ese. Which is sort of like Klingon, only more belligerent.

• You are more likely to lose a paper copy with a flood or fire. Every file and document I have created since 1978 is backed up on 5 disks and one off-site repository. I am NOT going to lose data!!

Fire in particular is difficult to protect against. We have a lot of irreplaceable paper documents that need to be preserved - minutes, incorporation documents, deeds etc. A fire proof safe is the first thing you think of, but unless it’s a hulk it’s likely to get carried off in a burglary. Exactly that happened to an uncle and he lost a big wedge of family documents that were kept in a baby safe. Fire proof document pouches are good if you accidentally drop your deed on the barbecue, but beyond that, they’re good for nothing in an actual house fire. The only other option is a fire proof filing cabinet. These have the advantage of being fire proof so long as they’re closed, irrespective of whether they’re locked or unlocked. And they’re good for a few hours in a house fire. But they’re heavy, and so lord knows if they’d survive falling through a floor.

• Fire in particular is difficult to protect against. We have a lot of irreplaceable paper documents that need to be preserved - minutes, incorporation documents, deeds etc.

With a deed I think the paper itself has some legal status. It is like a dollar bill. Or an automobile registration paper that you sign over to someone when you sell the car. Something like minutes have no legal status. If you preserve the text in an electronic copy, that is as good as the original. So, you should scan things like that and keep at least one copy offsite.

Things like bank CDs used to be printed on paper as "negotiable instruments." Nowadays the paper is only a receipt. It does not matter if you lose it. The official copy is the one inside the bank's computer.

legal papers
    www.law.cornell.edu

• With a deed I think the paper itself has some legal status. It is like a dollar bill. Or an automobile registration paper that you sign over to someone when you sell the car. Something like minutes have no legal status. If you preserve the text in an electronic copy, that is as good as the original. So, you should scan things like that and keep at least one copy offsite.

Things like bank CDs used to be printed on paper as "negotiable instruments." Nowadays the paper is only a receipt. It does not matter if you lose it. The official copy is the one inside the bank's computer.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/legal_papers

That’s correct. The paper deed matters, and at law (in Australia at least), even if you have a scan of the executed deed, it’s still considered lost if destroyed. The scan is still strong evidence of intent, but not legally dispositive in of itself the way that the paper deed would be.

I think the same is true for company resolutions, as these also require execution by directors.

Over the last year I’ve had to remediate some very serious deficiencies in a trust that was set up many years ago and administered by incompetent accountants. The experience taught me to treat every last piece of paper as if it’s the only legally dispositive object. It’s not strictly true of course, but it’s a much more conservative way to behave. You never know what a legal argument is going to end up hingeing on. Even innocuous papers can have material import in such circumstances.

Anyway, I’ve dragged us very off topic. Apologies, Rob.

• I'm still learning what my process is with DEVONthink. I've made annotations but not yet figured out how to make them searchable. Once that's done, then I have to recreate everything I was holding in EverNote. Such a drag but it should be pretty powerful once this is all done.

• Rob

Re: the Krivit archive, are you familiar with the archive.org CLI tool?

I wasn’t until recently, but it makes many tasks, like bulk downloading, much easier.

Command-Line Interface — Internet Archive Developer Portal

Quick start with the ia command line tool — Internet Archive Developer Portal

It’s also available via some package managers, though I don’t recall which I used off the top of my head.

There’s also this:

GitHub - MiniGlome/Archive.org-Downloader: Python3 script to download archive.org books in PDF format
    Python3 script to download archive.org books in PDF format - GitHub - MiniGlome/Archive.org-Downloader: Python3 script to download archive.org books in PDF…
    github.com

Which can scrape and assemble books that are available to borrow, but aren’t available for download.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.