Energy from atmosphere

• Not LENR energy, but a breakthrough energy source - cheaper than hydro - we should at least document.

Does anyone have any evidence this is true or not true?

Science and Invention magazine published an article about Plauson's invention in 1922.

A balloon made of aluminum was filled with hydrogen or helium and at an altitude of 270 meters produced a direct current of 400 volts with a force of 1.8 amperes. Two balloons with a capacitor battery gave a power of 81 kilowatts in a day.

As the author writes, "Its output is very large..... There is no doubt that this invention will soon come into general use throughout the world. Especially in rural areas and wherever water power is scarce.

The time is not far distant when nearly all our energy will be derived from the atmosphere..... It is the cheapest known form of energy, much cheaper than water power..... no destructive thunderstorms occur near such aerial power stations, because the balloons rapidly discharge the largest thundercloud, safely and silently through grounded spark gaps."

• I am quite surprised that this is the first time I have seen this in all the years I have been looking for stuff like this. Anyway, a passive system like this is interesting but has quite some technical hurdles even if it works, specially if one intend this to be a permanent source of energy.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Independent replication about two years ago. It works, but probably expensive to build.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• This is a very good result, but you need to take terrestrial electricity, not atmospheric, see my topic.

Нефть - это кровь планеты, надо сделать модель планеты и мы получим генератор Тарасенко, эта энергия покорит вселенную! :lenr:

• Does anyone have any evidence this is true or not true?

The tension between layers of clouds can be Megavolts. So it can be fun to rise a kite but please do not use a conductive wire/cord... Touching it could well be your last fun....

The energy output of a lightening can easily reach a kilo Watt. But this sucks out all the free electrons of the attached layers.

Thus the above is a bright idea often with a more bright outcome.

• OKay, now how your mind could manage the "Quark" concept ?

Gentlemen! At a fundamental level, any movement of matter is cold nuclear fusion, that is, a cold fusion generator, an electric current generator and any engine are identical. The movement of matter can be created only in one way - by consuming mass, that is, turning it into neutrino radiation. This can only be known on the basis of a new scientific paradigm:

• Independent replication about two years ago. It works, but probably expensive to build

Is this the guy who quotes (without a proper reference) that available current from the atmosphere is 10 picoamps per square metre of exposed "collector"? (I suspect I saw the same video over a year ago.)

I only came upon Plauson's work in the last couple of years, while digging into research on lightning. It seems to be another one of those ideas that gets re-invented every couple of decades, or so, and then subsequently dismissed and forgotten.

Regarding atmospheric electricity, there is an interesting PhD thesis here, from 1964, which is worth looking at:

The electrical space charge in the lower atmosphere - Durham e-Theses

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by Frogfall ().

• Get involved in terrestrial electricity, you haven't had this before. Sanya, you read my forums, I can't help you in any way, I've been on the Internet for 20 years and most importantly I don't remember much, but I'm moving forward as you can see.

Нефть - это кровь планеты, надо сделать модель планеты и мы получим генератор Тарасенко, эта энергия покорит вселенную! :lenr:

• Certainly the guy in the video I posted is generally dismissive of any outlandish “free energy” idea, however, in the video he seems to be genuinely surprised of what he observed, and also mentions Plauson’s work without naming him (but shows the drawings of the “balloon farms”) and, towards the end, wonders if not further exploring this since it was proposed, was really a good idea.

I did not know he had stated the available current at such small quantity. Plausson talks about several tens of Horse Power, but I would need to deep dive in order to find an available current figure in his published work.

• Certainly the guy in the video I posted is generally dismissive of any outlandish “free energy” idea, however, in the video he seems to be genuinely surprised of what he observed, and also mentions Plauson’s work without naming him (but shows the drawings of the “balloon farms”) and, towards the end, wonders if not further exploring this since it was proposed, was really a good idea.

I did not know he had stated the available current at such small quantity. Plausson talks about several tens of Horse Power, but I would need to deep dive in order to find an available current figure in his published work.

Plauson claimed to coat his "spiky balloons" with a zinc & radium mix - presumably to help ionise the air and enhance local conductivity. Whether he actually tried it is difficult to know. He even suggested the use of polonium (!) - but the high cost of both substances might have made actual trials unaffordable.

Some of the details we now read of Plauson's work were probably distorted a bit by Hugo Gernsback's usual "poetic license", and his fanciful illustrations.

But patents certainly exist, such as this GB one for a motor:

Espacenet – search results

and this US one for static conversion:

US1540998A - Conversion of atmospheric electric energy - Google Patents

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• Yes, I read the rexresearch page, the addition of a substance to enhance ionization and the figure of 200 HP per pair of balloons, all of this mentioned there, but I don’t see any actual data or calculations to reach that figure. 200 HP is 150 kW, I’d be more than happy with such power available at my farm “from thin air”.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.