Water evaporation using light

• Linked to the earlier research here, last November. But I think this could do with its own thread. Here is a more recent study.

Think you understand evaporation? Think again, says MIT
    We all know that water evaporates when the temperature climbs, but researchers have just shown that there's another factor at play. The breakthrough could…
    newatlas.com

Doing some quick number-crunching shows that the latent heat of vaporisation for water is 0.423 eV per molecule. This is actually quite high compared to most liquids.

The energy of a single photon of green light is somewhere around 2.18–2.37 eV (depending on the hue of green). So there is more than enough spare energy in the light for evaporation, depending on the absorption mechanism.

Water molecules have quite a number of different vibrational modes, so the absorption mechanism could be quite complex.

Water absorption spectrum

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by Frogfall ().

• For convenience, this was the previous story. (Same researchers at MIT)

A surprising finding shows that light can make water evaporate without heat could enable new approaches to desalination
    Evaporation is happening all around us all the time, from the sweat cooling our bodies to the dew burning off in the morning sun. But science's understanding…
    techxplore.com

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• Dear Frogfall relating to a former debate , do you have more infos about the energy needed when wapor is created regarding if it's fully dry or normally a mix of steam and evaporated water ?

• This is very interesting for me due to my constant need to find ways to more efficiently desalinate water. Thanks!

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Dear Frogfall relating to a former debate , do you have more infos about the energy needed when wapor is created regarding if it's fully dry or normally a mix of steam and evaporated water ?

From this website

Yeah, but I've not had to carry out boiler calculations for quite a few years - so am now a bit rusty.

And I'm not really interested in getting into arguments over historical experiments.

• Thank you for the sharing.... The French Serpollet done some kind of steam cars.. To remove water for better steam efficiency, the steam needed to cross some 1/10mm membrane or something like that.

L’automobile en 1902. 3e partie : Les voitures à vapeur
    Gloubik Sciences est dédié aux anciennes revues scientifiques françaises, mais aussi aux livres de sciences et de vulgarisation scientifique (...)
    sciences.gloubik.info

From this website

Yeah, but I've not had to carry out boiler calculations for quite a few years - so am now a bit rusty.

And I'm not really interested in getting into arguments over historical experiments.

• he French Serpollet done some kind of steam cars.. To remove water for better steam efficiency, the steam needed to cross some 1/10mm membrane or something like that

One useful form of Steam Separator. There were lots of interesting innovations in the old steam cars, and steam wagons (I used to subscribe to the Steam Car Club of GB newsletter ;)

Steam separator - Wikipedia

• It is astonishing that such a simple effect regarding such a common phenomenon and chemical has gone unnoticed for so long. This should encourage us in our research. Let's keep our eyes and our minds open!

• It is astonishing that such a simple effect regarding such a common phenomenon and chemical has gone unnoticed for so long

There has been a long history of unexplained anomalous absorption of solar radiation by clouds. Collocated satellite and surface measurements of solar radiation at five geographically diverse locations showed significant solar absorption by clouds, resulting in about 25 watts per square meter more global-mean absorption by the cloudy atmosphere than predicted by theoretical models. During the course of this process using laser light they found that the strongest evaporative effects happened when light that was polarized in a particular way known as transverse magnetic polarization hit the surface of the water at a 45° angle. It was also strongest with green light, which is suprising because that's the color that makes water appear the most transparent.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.