Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Smith

@why_banned

Since your own grasp of vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation is obviously very weak, I suggest you refrain from criticising other members use of language.

The Moderators Lament -food for thought in 2018.

I’ve had this day, I’m sick of it, I’m up to pussy’s bow
    A moderator’s life is hard that's something you should know
    So gather round and listen up and let the record show
    That a moderator’s lonely life is one that’s full of woe

It started out at 5 am, before the sun had shone
    I logged into LENR-f to see what’s going on
    There were 20 angry posters all waiting in the queue
    To tell me how to do my job with 20 points of view

I worked through all those 20 posts and then through 20 more
    But then I had to take a break to see who’s at the door
    There was a witness standing there who’d brought along a mate
    He told me of a sinful world and of its fearful fate

I thanked them both for stopping by and bid them both good day
    And politely took their magazine then sent them on their way
    I sat back down with widened eyes and with a dropping jaw
    In just those few short moments posts had come in by the score

I moderated twenty posts, the type of posts that flame
    And twenty more for cussing and ten more that defame
    I thought I better take a break to try to make some tea
    Even mods must still take time to go and take a pee

I came back to the forum to a poster full of rage
    He didn’t like the way his post was stricken from the page
    Protesting with much cussing and a total lack of class
    He told me “take ya forum and shove it up ya jumper”

By now it’s only midday and time to have some lunch
    But I come back to the forum and reports in by the bunch
    I went into the blue room, a place where mods retreat
    Where we can talk about you guys in a way that is discreet

It was Madmin who had posted there, there was an email in
    From a poster long suspended now repentant of his sin
    He begged we show him mercy, he’d come with cap in hand
    He said he’d lost his temper and he hoped we’d understand

He said he had reflected and he swore that he had changed
    He saw now he had been at fault and even part deranged
    He said that his behaviour had been caused by undue stress
    His dog had died, his truck was broke, his son now wore a dress

Us mods well we just rolled our eyes we’d heard it all before
    These posters that we let back in go straight back out the door
    It’s not that we’re hard hearted or that we’re out of touch
    Or we’d deny a second chance but we’ve heard it all too much

I used to be a scientist, who wrote of physics beauty
    But now an uptight teacher type who’s given playground duty
    So if you ever meet a mod then don’t be smart or smug
    If you have heard one word I’ve said you’d know we need a hug.

With apologies to the original writer, and thanks to 'hotcopper' stock traders forum.

Alan: Do you expect anything from any of your LFH clients? Lion for instance; is he going to come forward with his results?

Well, he says he will. Fingers crossed. That would really make it a Happy New Year for many of us.

...the source of this energy appears to be the vacuum zero-point energy or zero-point radiation. An EV is a coupling device and an energy conversion mechanism that converts the high frequency zero-point energy of the vacuum to a lower frequency energy which can be captured as electrical energy output by the TWT. […]

I think KS explains it better than me.

For total efficiency you multiply that by the electromechanical efficiency of the motor, which for small motors is small unless they go very very fast

It depends on the type. Brushless DC fan motors are smaller, lighter, quieter, cooler-running, more durable and up to 70% more efficient than conventional AC fans (say 15 watts instead of 50 watts for a fairly powerful fan). However, there are some losses in the ESC systems that control them, where used.

But for some reason it doesn't catch on, because it isn't cheaper than burning gas? LOL

While I agree about COP" representing the tip of an iceberg which could lead to improvements in future, I think you miss the point. Of course you would like a heater that uses 50% of the electricity you use now, But if that heater costs 10X as much as the simple heater you have now and has an uncertain service life, would you still want it? I think not. And neither would anybody who CAN burn gas.

As for the idea that people would be scrambling to hand you truck loads of money for the rights to such a tech, I'm afraid that is a very naive viewpoint. Early stage technologies with long development curves are worth very little in investor's eyes. For example, I developed two different chemistry-based products in the 1970's. One was a novel way of making food container sealing compounds (every food can has a gasket inside the rolled seams) which is a huge market. The other was a method of synthesising very cheap surfactants based on starch rather than petrochemicals. Both were sold on by my employers for relatively trivial sums because they predicted (correct in one case, the detergents, but wrong in the other) that the development curves were too long for them to follow up. Eventually they bought out the entire company they sold the can-sealing tech to, but I was in pastures new by then. My point is both of these techs were probably worth billions in the long term, but very little when they were at the laboratory bench stage.

But, no breakthroughs which anyone outside of the LENR can replicate have been reported by these entities.

Maybe they just don't want you to know. Their main interests are commercial, after all.

I am sure FP reported some very good results in France. Why nothing came of it, is one of those LENR mysteries.

I am sure JedRothwell knows more about this. He might care to repeat the stories he got from the mouths of various actors in this affair.

Isnt change accelerating in science and technology.

It appears to be. The problem lies in assessing what discoveries are truly fundamental and which are incremental in effect. For example, mobile phone technology is an incremental advance, or perhaps a series of such advances, based (mostly) on developments in digital computing. It has produced huge social, economic, and probably political changes in society, but has involved very little by way of discoveries of any paradigm-changing 'new physics'.

Toyota, IH, Coolescense(sp), for starters.

Coolescense was in real terms a minnow, they spent relatively modest amounts of cash over a long period. I am uncertain as to why they weren't luckier. IH are still working and still spending money, they have not withdrawn, neither have Toyota, in fact Toyota have stepped up their resource allocation twice over the last 18 months.

So your score is 0 out of 3 so far. got any more?

But what happens when companies and entities not actively involved in CF/LENR spend huge amounts of resources and money to verify these claims? They fail almost 100% of the time.

You have yet to tell us who these entities are. Also I admire your 'almost'. Sounds as if you are hedging your bets.

I'm not sure how you choose what is considered to be 'revolutionary' ? A lot of things we might dismiss as 'techmology' are anchored firmly in scientific breakthroughs. And then there is the Manhattan project, digital computing, and so on. Definitely paradigm-shifting events. Don't these count?