Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Smith

I had a chat with Carl Page and Robert Godes (who was keeping close to him ;) ) at ICCF-19. His Anthropocene Institute is a serious attempt at funding mid-scale LENR research. Seemed like a very nice guy.

Low Energy Nuclear Reactions Work And Could Supplant Fossil Fuels

Climate collapse demands a supply of energy that is far cheaper than fossil fuels, resistant to bad weather and natural disaster, and sustainable in fuel inputs and pollution outputs. Can a new poorly understood technology from a stigmatized field fulfil the need? The Low Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) could help at large scale very quickly.

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/26753

I wouldn't even attempt for nickel-lithium system without corona activation in me356 style - especially in amateur conditions it would be just waste of time.

Surely if 'amateur conditions' (whatever that means) would create problems for corona activation experiments too? Unless we try, we cannot be so dogmatic about the possibility or the impossibility of anything.

Btw, does anybody know, is this Roberto Rossi, who according to his Facebook profile works for Fabiani's USQL, a relative of Andrea Rossi?
    facebook.com/roberto.rossi.946954?hc_location=ufi

The Rossi family name is as common in Italy as is Patel in India or Smith in England. And this Rossi is from Locri, in Calabria -the far south. Andrea Rossi is from the North. Needles, haystacks, straws.

As I recall, it (Defkalion)ended up in Canada. I could be wrong about…

No- not wrong. I think they were promised investment cash there. But after the first couple of months they had very little physical presence in Canada, phone calls were not returned and nobody answered the door to at least two callers. But I have no idea if there was ever anything more than a (from memory) Tier2 (highly speculative) offering of Canadian stock which had little or no take-up. As you say, there is probably no money, and if there was -or even is- then N.Cyprus is a famously un-cooperative jurisdiction to keep it in. One might as well sue an empty paper bag.

Dr. Chen Yue, Director of Commercial Satellite Technology announced on December 10, 2016 that not only has China successfully tested EmDrives technology in its laboratories, but that a proof-of-concept is currently undergoing zero-g testing in orbit (according to the International Business Times, this test is taking place on the Tiangong 2 space station).

Cast is a subsidiary of the Chinese Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) and the manufacturer of Dong Fang Hong satellites. According to Li Feng, chief designer of Cast’s communication satellite division, the team has built a prototype that so far generates just a few millinewtons of thrust, IBTimes UK reports.

Scientists with the China Academy of Space Technology claim NASA’s results ‘re-confirm’ what they’d already achieved, and have plans to implement it in satellites ‘as quickly as possible.’
    ‘The establishment of an experimental verification platform to complete the milli-level micro thrust measurement test, as well as several years of repeated experiments and investigations into corresponding interference factors, confirm that in this type of thruster, thrust exists.’
    Cast is a subsidiary of the Chinese Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) and the manufacturer of Dong Fang Hong satellites.

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2…ts-of-propellentless.html

Univ. records show Fulvio Fabiani paid Levi $75k for "pinball consulting work" from 2013 to 2015.

As you say, this was duly recorded as an official payment to Bologna University, taxed and deposited in the Uni's bank a/c. It was never touched by Levi personally but was donated to a software engineering course that he supervises. The money was to pay for 2 postgraduate students to study and develop software systems for pinball machines and pinball machine simulators. There was nothing underhand or secret about any of it, his name was mentioned as recipient since he is head of the appropriate course.

In a balloon, the air pressure is equal throughout the volume of the balloon, but in a metal cone, the standing wave pattern of the standing waves produced by the magnetron are unequal throughout the volume of the cone so there will be less force generated in one given section of the voluum than in another. The unequal distribution of vacuum energy will resolve into a force vector in a preferred direction. The key to optimizing the force produced by the cone is to maximize the imbalance in the emf standing wave distribution inside the cone.

If this presence of a wave node or antinode is the McGuffin behing the operating principle, then given differences in wavelength and the physical limits of system size it ought to be possible to reproduce this effect using VHF sound-waves inside a similar cone full of air or some more suitable gas. Careful attention would be required of course to the adsorption/reflection characteristics of various parts of the cone's interior surface. No need for microwaves in space, sound waves on planet earth might work equally well.

In the EmDrive, microwaves setup standing electromagnetic waves inside the metal cone that disturbs the coherence in the vacuum so that virtual particle coherence is reduced. This application of energy to the vacuum is similar to inflating a balloon by increasing the air pressure inside the balloon. There is a unbalancing of the vacuum between the inside of the cone and the outside that remains neutral. This is like a balloon that has a higher air pressure on the inside of the balloon than the outside. An adiabatic inertial reaction force is produced to rebalance the imbalance setup in the vacuum generated by the microwaves. This inertial force attempts to rebalance the uneven vacuum energy distribution that exists between the inside and outside of the cone. The cone is configured to focus this adiabatic inertial reaction force in a desired direction.

Hi Axil. I'm not sure your balloon analogy works in this case. Let me try to explain why. All inflated balloons have higher pressure inside than outside. If I make and inflate a conical balloon, it will have (obviously) a larger surface area at one end than at the other. Thus the total force at the large end of the cone as expressed in PSI or Pascals or whatever is higher than it is at the small end. However, because the tapering sides of the balloon also express a force, the net effect is zero. The balloon doesn't move on its own. :( But I'm sure you will explain how I'm wrong

Coil whine would do it. Don't forget that the heater wires expand when they are hot, so there is a little bit of 'rattle-room' no matter how tight the coils are when cold. Coil whine is certainly noticeable in an old-fashined electric fire with a radiant element. You can clearly hear a mains-frequency hum when they are on. Also in my Model T (and subsequent) reactors you can hear them singing when using DC drive and a 15 khZ PWM.

I am just switching (finally) over to H-Bridge modulated square wave AC with arduino-controlled frequency switching. But first I must get back and finish the Nickel prep experiments. Things at the LFH lab have been rather set back over the last few weeks by a sudden and very serious health problem in my close family leaving me too little uninterrupted time to perform long experiments. Or indeed do much experimenting at all. However,I'm gradually getting back into the old routine. Shit happens- we just have to get over it. :|

The stethoscope picture. A little detective work and a possible explanation for the craziness.

I found this photograph very informative. In fact so informative that I have a copy of it on my laboratory wall. Here's why:-

It shows the layout of the heater controls clearly. These consist of phase- frequency controllers driven by a remote computer using opto-couplers. The opto-couplers are the white squares with a round dot in the middle. The phase controllers are the bigger grey boxes. This system allows the heater current AC frequency to be controlled up to at least 700-800 Hz, maybe a little higher. If the phase controllers were custom-built, maybe they could go to more than that. Also remember that the Cats use 3-phase heating as per Lugano - so the global frequency will be 3X the indicidual phase frequencies - you get what are called 'beat frequencies' or harmonics generated as the phases move in and out of synch. Like the wow-wow-wow you used to hear from old piston engined freight-planes as their props went in and out of synch with each other.

Since 7-800Hz and most of the global harmonics generated are well within the range of normal human hearing, it might well be possible to use a stethoscope to pick up an audible response when you hit resonance - with a colleague adjusting the frequency via the computer.

From my electronics days, I know that there is another way of detecting resonance - but how sensitive this is depends on something called 'Q' - which describes the shape of the frequency response curve of a circuit. Think of a band-pass audio filter. These are designed to offer high-resistance to AC currents going to a speaker-system except at a particular frequency which depends on the design of the circuit. When signals at the design frequency are detected, the resistance drops, and therefore a plot of frequency / current shows that the current rises sharply at that frequency. The higher the 'Q' the sharper the peak. With a 'low Q' circuit the peak is less well defined, in fact there may be several peaks -like a little range of hills. So it could be that -depending on the software they wrote and depending on how high the 'Q' factor is - using a stethoscope could be more convenient than measuring current across all 3 phases while tuning your cat's heater frequency in - just like an old-style short-wave wireless.

And - if the right resonant frequency kicks off the LENR reaction as I hypothesize - you could very easily hear the water start to get hot- think of the noises any electric kettle makes when you switch it on.
    What do you think?