Mike Wryley Member
  • Member since May 24th 2016
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Mike Wryley

I don't care if renewable electricity is more expensive - we should be using as much of it as we can for the planet's sake. He who wants to eat cheap may often eat dirty.

A rather cavalier attitude as the cost of energy has a lot to do with people’s standard of living, especially in developing countries.

Natural gas is hardly a “dirty” fuel, and modern coal plant stack emissions are pretty innocuous if the mercury is scrubbed.

Just where in the hell do you think all that carbon came from in the first place ?

Nothing in my post is unsupported, or propaganda. The average German pays 36 cents per kWh, and his economy is basically in recession. You parrot the tripe of the AGW hysteria industry and apparently do not have the intellectual scientific curiosity to check the validity of your information.

,',,,,,,,,,,,,He may be a good economist, but evidently he does not know much about technology, or even commerce. I could have told you back in 1990 that if present trends continued, and subsidies were maintained, wind would soon be competitive in the middle of the North American continent.

The capital costs of wind power, availability, losses in collection and power factor, high maintenance costs , backup requirements and land leases make any claim of being “competitive” highly suspect. A trip down I 80 in Iowa is a testament to the so called “wind farm” being an assault on the environment, wild life and serenity of the outdoors. I guarantee that my electrical utility bills have only increased during the last 10 years. Wind energy is a total farce as a national energy policy, a scam on the ratepayer and taxpayer alike, and all predicated on a lie.

I like the HP/Agilent 65XX series of analog supplies. They're widely available on eBay and surplus electronics dealers for $500 or less. I got a 6555A for this project, $220 with shipping. It's 0-120 vdc @ 0-4a, and 500 watts max. It has both constant current and constant voltage adjustments, and fully isolated output. These weigh around 35 kg and are beautifully built and very reliable. Some versions with GPIB interface may cost a bit more.

AlanG

just don’t use the HP 65 series for large battery chargers, any back emf ( IE you dial the voltage back or the main quits) and they make a lot of smoke and they are a pain to repair

Wind energy is the most ignorant solution to a national energy plan possible, and no utility would put up a single turbine without the heavy government subsidy, meaning the tax payer takes it in the ass.

The capital costs are multiples of alternatives, the efficiencies are low due to transmission losses, maintenance is high and expensive, they decimate large quantities of migratory birds, and the availability

sucks. And while wind may be free, there is a lot more to the price of a delivered kWh than the base energy component, the cost of the coal for 10 cent per kWh electricity is just under a penny. The availability issue causes all kinds inane discussions about batteries, capacitors and pumping water, all hugely inefficient and or polluting in their own right, so one is left with building gas plants of EQUIVALENT CAPACITY. In the final analysis, the true cost is at at least 3x-4x more conventional sources. Real genius at work making your industry uncompetitive and you people poor.

If that were the case, we would not see a dramatic rise in CO2 and large changes in temperature and weather. But we do see them, so obviously plant life cannot keep up.

Here is one of the best illustrations of the change in temperature. Scroll to the bottom:

https://xkcd.com/1732/

except for one small fact,

there is no "dramatic" rise in CO2

the effects of CO2 decrease at the log of the concentration, once over 100 ppm the effects are negligible,

and blaming global temps on CO2 concentrations is massive misdirection of the facts

Sooner or later the cows come home, and the fact that trillions of dollars have been spent by the dept of energy and other government agencies, with one out of every three dollars borrowed, and paying no regard to the utility or probable benefit to the taxpayer has led to an unsustainable situation. Average Joe Sixpack works his entire life to pay federal and state taxes and if he is lucky and frugal, he will have a small nest egg made worthless by inflation. Any small increase in interest rates on a debt of $20 x 10>12 will make us all poor.

The dept of energy became a cash machine for well connected individuals and companies and spent money like a drunken sailor. Case in point, CO2 "remediation projects". We have things called plants that done that job admirably , without complaint or cost, at CO2 levels ranging from near extinction at 170 ppm to 8000 ppm, for billions of years.

The dept of energy was created to make this country energy independent, which it has failed miserably at, and is about as useless as the government subsidy on sugar.

unfortunately, having a billion dollars has no effect on your IQ or wisdom, and admiring Tesla Motors is proof

Zephyr,
    sorry, just noticed this, holidays got in the way,,
    will get the link, but I think it would be as simple as a search for
    "null result Poher "

part of of me wonders why the Poher boys made such an error,
    ( an arc at the connection at the superconducting pellet created a pressure wave in the LN)
    but then I have to ask why the effect was not present in the same pellet when not
    a super conductor, as I would the arc to be even worse, I probably need to retread the
    null paper

What a deal ! A high efficiency, high temp, high irradiance PV array and three phase electronics that OUTPUTS 250 kW after ALL THE LOSSES ARE ACCOUNTED FOR, with an added factor for PV efficiency "fade" due to aging during 20 years, but wait there's more !!!! Taking a SWAG,
    there might be another 500 to 700 kW of heat to warm your building, make your water hot of even deice your parking lots and driveway.

Hey, my Fluke BS meter just blew a fuse,,,,

Alan,
    a three phase VFD will always have all three phases at the same frequency and with a constant 120 degree phase difference phase to phase,
    recent units have multi kilowatt capacities at very economical prices, it would make no sense to design a custom unit, the frequencies of off the shelf units usually top out in the 400 Hz range

This is good, a great first step,

I have some lengths of nickel rods out of an old delay line, a machine shop, power electronics, instrumentation and resources adequate to the task, but have been waiting for someone to step up who is willing to share the meat and potatoes of their successful forays into LENR.